• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Any SCART to HDMI viable units, then force 4:3 aspect ratio through the TV?

Mulling cheap alternatives for those that can't justify the cost of an XRGB or room for a CRT.

This thread is awesome btw, love browsing here from time to time.

Peltz

Mulling cheap alternatives for those that can't justify the cost of an XRGB or room for a CRT.

This thread is awesome btw, love browsing here from time to time.

What is your price range? And what specific console(s) are you looking to hook up with better picture?

D.Lo

When will I ever learn...

Got a cheap Master System RGB cable (for my soon to be FM modded 60Hz modded PAL console), works perfectly with the PVM...

...but has sync issues with the XRGBM.

Just like the 60Hz modded Mega Drive II before it.

Should have bought a boosted csync cable to start with...

General consensus is nothing else is much good.

You might get somewhat decent results with a scart to component transcoder, IF your screen supports 240p over component and if your screen does a decent scaling job. In my experience very very few TVs do, they usually interlace then de-interlace the 240p, adding lag and movement artefacts (usually blurring).

Grief.exe

What is your price range? And what specific console(s) are you looking to hook up with better picture?

I'm thinking SNES and original Xbox. PS2 and GameCube games I would prefer to emulate. Price range, no idea.

You might get somewhat decent results with a scart to component transcoder, IF your screen supports 240p over component and if your screen does a decent scaling job. In my experience very very few TVs do, they usually interlace then de-interlace the 240p, adding lag and movement artefacts (usually blurring).

I have a 1080i TV and a 1440p monitor, though the former seems to do a pretty decent job of upscaling the SNES over S-Video when forced 4:3.

Peltz

I'm thinking SNES and original Xbox. PS2 and GameCube games I would prefer to emulate. Price range, no idea.

I have a 1080i TV and a 1440p monitor, though the former seems to do a pretty decent job of upscaling the SNES over S-Video when forced 4:3.

Just use component for the OG Xbox and S-Video for SNES. You'll still get great results.

Borman

Woo picked up a SFC, havent had one in a few years. First RGB cable I tried looked terrible with the SFC, luckily I had a second!

zquNio5.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I kind of feel like picking up a new-in-box XRGB-3. I only have the unit itself at the moment, and no remote or other extras that originally came with it. I feel like now is the time to do it since the dollar-to-yen ratio is so favorable for the time being; I don't see it getting much cheaper unless it ever gets put on clearance to make room for a new model or something, and I'm not even sure if we should expect that. New prices on Solarisjapan make eBay/Amazon look particularly laughable at the moment.

Might have to make an import shopping list and another round on Yahoo Japan in the near future while I'm at it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I kind of feel like picking up a new-in-box XRGB-3. I only have the unit itself at the moment, and no remote or other extras that originally came with it. I feel like now is the time to do it since the dollar-to-yen ratio is so favorable for the time being; I don't see it getting much cheaper unless it ever gets put on clearance to make room for a new model or something, and I'm not even sure if we should expect that. New prices on Solarisjapan make eBay/Amazon look particularly laughable at the moment.

Might have to make an import shopping list and another round on Yahoo Japan in the near future while I'm at it.
What's the appeal, compared to the mini?

IrishNinja

645 why not wait, do you think they'll not replace the mini in the next year or so? perhaps the next model will more in line with the 3, no?

Sixfortyfive

Like I said, the exchange rate is pretty good right now, so I'm just brainstorming ideas for things to pick up anyway. Courier services for Yahoo Auctions are only really worth it if you're buying a lot of things at once, and A/V equipment is always within my sphere of interest.

No, you can set the game region, video mode and system menu separately.

So if I set video to PAL60 and boot an NTSC game the game will boot, but will the output be correct? It seemed like the output was tinted red or green, but it was hard to tell because a lot of the time it was PAL to NTSC or some other issue being conflated with the video output.

my scart to bnc breakout cable has arrived, and this bvm picture quality is godly

question for other owners - how do you connect your component cables to these things? some sort of adapter?

Huggers

my scart to bnc breakout cable has arrived, and this bvm picture quality is godly

question for other owners - how do you connect your component cables to these things? some sort of adapter?

Bnc to phono adapters on each of the inputs. Works like a dream

Isn't the SLG In A Box supposed to be fairly decent? It's VGA out though could be appropriate

that never really gets talked about here because, I'm assuming, it doesn't upscale all that well or allow 240p, it only adds scanlines, think it outputs in VGA too, personally I might get the SLG 3000 for my dreamcast as my TV has VGA and it seems so complicated to get a dreamcast to run at its best through the xrgb mini

baphomet

I recently scored 2 DVDO iScan VP 30s on craigslist for $40. Brought them home and opened them up and both have an apparently rare abt 102 deinterlacing card in them. I'm just waiting for my power adapters to come in to test everything out.

Also picked up a scan line generator and one of those gbs-8220 boards.

I think those and the xrgb are the most popular upscalers, but there's really not very much comparison shots online. Fudoh's page has some, but there could be some more shots out there.

Sixfortyfive

I've felt for a while that some of us need to knock heads and actually create some quality video comparisons of different upscalers in action.

I've reached out to the My Life in Gaming guys to see if they'd be interested in evaluating both the Framemeister and XRGB-3 for how they handle 480i games, as it's my understanding that this is where you'd see the biggest difference in video quality and behavior between them.

I've felt for a while that some of us need to knock heads and actually create some quality video comparisons of different upscalers in action.

I've reached out to the My Life in Gaming guys to see if they'd be interested in evaluating both the Framemeister and XRGB-3 for how they handle 480i games, as it's my understanding that this is where you'd see the biggest difference in video quality and behavior between them.

Cool beans, I hope this project takes off!

Peltz

I think Fudoh would be a good resource for this, too. Maybe just ask him to compare two scalers of your choice? He certainly has quite a collection of them and has been pretty responsive to all of my questions in the past. Seeing as how he has video capture equipment, maybe he'd be willing to throw up a few side-by-side videos.

Also, the XRGB3 doesn't play nice with Neo Geo from what I understand.

PS, I wouldn't consider VGA-out to be a "pro" in today's HDTV marketplace. I can't find any new gaming-caliber sets with VGA-in :-(

Sixfortyfive

PS, I wouldn't consider VGA-out to be a "pro" in today's HDTV marketplace. I can't find any new gaming-caliber sets with VGA-in :-(
Just because I say VGA is a positive thing doesn't mean I think HDMI is bad. If you care about CRT monitor compatibility (and I do), then VGA is very desirable.

Madao

sometimes i wish i had a better camera for pictures taken from the TV screen but then i remember that'd be the only use for the camera and it'd be a waste.

BTails

Just ordered my Toro! I'm so excited to plug my Dreamcast into my XRGB with anything rather than the composite cables I bought it with.

Now for the long wait for shipping from Turkey to Canada...

D.Lo

So if I set video to PAL60 and boot an NTSC game the game will boot, but will the output be correct? It seemed like the output was tinted red or green, but it was hard to tell because a lot of the time it was PAL to NTSC or some other issue being conflated with the video output.
IMG_0092.JPG

PAL installed region enables RGB If I remember correctly. Can then run video mode as NTSC or whatever you like.
Any VC games you have in other regions will not work when PAL region is set like this.

You can easily half-brick your console doing this, so read up on it first.

IMG_0092.JPG

PAL installed region enables RGB If I remember correctly. Can then run video mode as NTSC or whatever you like.
Any VC games you have in other regions will not work when PAL region is set like this.

You can easily half-brick your console doing this, so read up on it first.

Not super worried about VC games. Awesome, going to try this out.

Peagles

Well, my most wanted monitor (aside from an XM29), a PVM20L5 popped up but it's a 3 hour drive from here. Also they have it listed at $800 (but I've made contact to see what they think about going lower). If I can snag it at a decent price I think it'll be worth driving down for, but I have a feeling they might not budge on price if their first thought was $800, lol.

Well, my most wanted monitor (aside from an XM29), a PVM20L5 popped up but it's a 3 hour drive from here. Also they have it listed at $800 (but I've made contact to see what they think about going lower). If I can snag it at a decent price I think it'll be worth driving down for, but I have a feeling they might not budge on price if their first thought was $800, lol.
Good luck! Amazing monitor.

Anyone have the experience of XRGBFM scanlines causing some odd shaking/flickering effect? Currently playing DQVIII on my PS2 via Component at 480i.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone have the experience of XRGBFM scanlines causing some odd shaking/flickering effect? Currently playing DQVIII on my PS2 via Component at 480i.
I cant answer that question but IMO that era of games is far too late to want scanlines anyway. ;)

Anyone know of a VGA to HDMI transcoder that doesn't do any sort of scaling and doesn't cost a fortune?

this one?

CONVERTER, VGA + AUDIO TO HDMI https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CS99KP2/

it looks the same as this one without the brand name,

www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/converters-scalers-c105/video-c1511/vga-audio-to-hdmi-converter-p6778

explicitly states it doesnt upscale

been meaning to take a punt on the cheap version on amazon for awhile now, esp as it's come down in price

Timu

Do good svideo to vga converters exist? I ask because I want one for my Startech Pexhdcap capture card and want to use a svideo cable(that I'm soon getting) for my N64.

Sixfortyfive

Do good svideo to vga converters exist? I ask because I want one for my Startech Pexhdcap capture card and want to use a svideo cable(that I'm soon getting) for my N64.
I believe that the XRGB-1, 2, 2+, and 3 would fall into that category.

What capture card do you have?

Sixfortyfive

Startech Pexhdcap.=O

I would have to save up for those then!=p
Try asking here to see if anyone has any advice for connecting S-video to your card. The 500N1 and PEXHDCAP are basically the same hardware and even have compatible drivers, IIRC. The revised model (512N1) has the same design and connector but also comes with an S-video adapter for the same style A/V port on the card. It's a long shot, and I don't expect this to be the case, but maybe there are newer drivers for the PEXHDCAP out there that might make said S-video adapter backward compatible with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom