• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. I'll place an order for one in a month of so when I save up some more money; my wife would kill me if I spend another $100 on a cable, haha.
I've been going around telling everyone I can, because I'm not sure if he's updated the manual, but the labels on the VGA- RGB switch are reverse-- you need it set to RGB if you want it to display in VGA mode.

after going back and forth for a bit, i couldn't pass up the bvm 1911 for 200 bucks and got it :)

thing was just services and calibrated, is in awesome shape and couldnt pass up the chance to own one of the highest quality crts ever made even though i have a frame meister

thing is a beast! just ordered my scart to bnc adapter and am looking forward to it's arrival. now gotta figure out where im gonna put this thing

Huggers

after going back and forth for a bit, i couldn't pass up the bvm 1911 for 200 bucks and got it :)

thing was just services and calibrated, is in awesome shape and couldnt pass up the chance to own one of the highest quality crts ever made even though i have a frame meister

thing is a beast! just ordered my scart to bnc adapter and am looking forward to it's arrival. now gotta figure out where im gonna put this thing

Welcome to team awesome. The views are incredible!

IrishNinja

I just realized that I don't have a VGA-in on my TV, only a buncha HDMI ports and component. This presents a problem for my XRGB and my Dreamcast. Are VGA to HDMI adapters pretty foolproof a la VGA to DVI, or is there the potential to introduce problems?

late on this Chac, but again, i found a guy on SHMUPs forum that modded my VGA box for SCART use, plugs right into my xrgb. he also added a Bangi-O switch for games not supporting said VGA signal, good work overall.

Adam Blue

I don't need to say that it isn't good for your console.

Well I'm glad you did. I had no idea something like voltage would be running rampant through an unpowered automatic switch into my consoles.

I'm glad a community like this is around to help those out who may be a little naiive on the subject.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
late on this Chac, but again, i found a guy on SHMUPs forum that modded my VGA box for SCART use, plugs right into my xrgb. he also added a Bangi-O switch for games not supporting said VGA signal, good work overall.

See, I thought about that, but I run into the same problem, since I have an XRGB-3, and that's still going to output in VGA if I want the B1 mode.

I think the solution is just to buy the thing that SixFortyFive posted above. Seems like that'll get the job done without any fuss.

Peltz

See, I thought about that, but I run into the same problem, since I have an XRGB-3, and that's still going to output in VGA if I want the B1 mode.

I think the solution is just to buy the thing that SixFortyFive posted above. Seems like that'll get the job done without any fuss.

For what it's worth, you might as well do so. I'm not very impressed by the Toro -> Framemeister image quality. I'm assuming it's due to the FM and not the Toro though.

Dave_6

I got to browsing this thread a little and decided to check out which SNES I have. It's a gen 1 in like new condition (SNS-001) but it is the UN1 version, which from what I've gathered is one of the worst as far as PQ. I have it hooked up via S-video to my 26" flat screen CRT Sanyo TV and it looks OK but I imagine it can look better. Anything I can do to make it look better or should I be on the look out for a good PVM display?

Madao

has anyone here verified if the Wii without GC BC does actually output a better image than earlier models?

in the RetroRGB site, they mention that but i can't find comparison pics anywhere. i'm curious about that.

has anyone here verified if the Wii without GC BC does actually output a better image than earlier models?

in the RetroRGB site, they mention that but i can't find comparison pics anywhere. i'm curious about that.

I also just did a quick google, and I can only find comparisons between Gamecube and Wii (which is impressive for gamecube games, if a little bit disheartening since those cables are crazy expensive). If I had to guess I'd say the later model is a bit cleaner but not massively so.

dhonk

So you guys might have seen, but I picked an insane deal from GAF member Leatherface.

Among the 40 ish odd Gamecube games, it included the Monster S-Video cables. Previously for my SNES and N64 I only had a generic S-Video cable that also included Composite video. From what I've read that is an extremely poor quality signal on those types.

And while its not quite RGB quality Im sure, Im still incredibly impressed at the results on my Panasonic Viera. (Some 720p model, Ill probably upgrade when this one dies.) So until I have enough money / time to mod my systems and get an XRGB mini, I don't feel slighted at all by the picture quality! It's seriously impressive! Heres a random crappy iPhone pic.

AeHJKUs.png

Roge_NES

Got a XRGB Mini to use along a DVDO Edge, boy does it give out beautiful results for 240P games!

So which mode is better? Meister or Picture? I tend to leave it in Picture along with Normal2 and 45 Scanline Intensity.

Any recommendations? Specially for 480P Content.

Peltz

Got a XRGB Mini to use along a DVDO Edge, boy does it give out beautiful results for 240P games!

So which mode is better? Meister or Picture? I tend to leave it in Picture along with Normal2 and 45 Scanline Intensity.

I do 480i and 480p directly on my HDTV and bypass the Mini altogether for them. If your HDTV isn't good at scaling 480i and 480p, try standard mode, 2x setting, output to 1080p on the mini.

For 240p sources, I prefer Meister mode in either 480p or 720p output.

I've got a Sony PVM and it's been cool learning about the cabling and how it works, but I'm stumped on how to connect my SNES to it. Anyone in the know care to help?

I've got a PS2 and Wii hooked up via component cables, that are hooked into a Pelican switcher, which outputs to the PVM via Component to BNC (I can connect them directly too).

I originally planned to buy this for the older consoles (Saturn, SNES): Retrogaming Cable's BNC to SCART adaptor + SCART cables for those consoles. However, they've been out of stock forever (though an email from the company mentioned they're getting more). I'd just simply switch plugs, rather than use the switcher for the older consoles.

I saw this pop on eBay: SCART to Component. This would let me use the switcher, I think, for those older consoles. Would video quality be worse, though?

Peltz

I've got a Sony PVM and it's been cool learning about the cabling and how it works, but I'm stumped on how to connect my SNES to it. Anyone in the know care to help?

I've got a PS2 and Wii hooked up via component cables, that are hooked into a Pelican switcher, which outputs to the PVM via Component to BNC (I can connect them directly too).

I originally planned to buy this for the older consoles (Saturn, SNES): Retrogaming Cable's BNC to SCART adaptor + SCART cables for those consoles. However, they've been out of stock forever (though an email from the company mentioned they're getting more). I'd just simply switch plugs, rather than use the switcher for the older consoles.

I saw this pop on eBay: SCART to Component. This would let me use the switcher, I think, for those older consoles. Would video quality be worse, though?

Don't transcode scart to component if you're using a PVM.

Use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edc5abbbe

Also, try grabbing a bnc switcher so that everything - composite, component, scart, - will be switchable with one device after you convert everything to bnc.

Looking into adding a Genesis to my RGB set up, but I'm so confused as to which version to get for the best picture AND sound. Any advice?

Don't transcode scart to component if you're using a PVM.

Use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edc5abbbe

Also, try grabbing a bnc switcher so that everything - composite, component, scart, - will be switchable with one device after you convert everything to bnc.

Awesome, (seriously!) thank you. SCART to BNC ordered. I'll have to look into BNC switchers - I saw one or two that are fairly expensive - it'd be cheaper to simply find a larger PVM with two BNC inputs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I do 480i and 480p directly on my HDTV and bypass the Mini altogether for them. If your HDTV isn't good at scaling 480i and 480p, try standard mode, 2x setting, output to 1080p on the mini.

For 240p sources, I prefer Meister mode in either 480p or 720p output.

You probably shouldn't use Meister mode if you have a good signal like RGB or component, as it includes a low-pass filter that strips out some of the detail. It's an appropriate mode for a crap signal like composite, though. Those of us with un-modded NES/AV Famicom might want to use it... cleans up some of the noise in that cable.

For RGB/Component or maybe even S-video on 240p, set the picture to "Picture" and turn on scanlines separately instead.

Looking into adding a Genesis to my RGB set up, but I'm so confused as to which version to get for the best picture AND sound. Any advice?

The one that says HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS that doesn't have the "Sega Enterprises" screen at startup. I think you also want the expansion port on the back. That is definitely the best for sound... It has crap composite output but you will use RGB anyway.

Peltz

You probably shouldn't use Meister mode if you have a good signal like RGB or component, as it includes a low-pass filter that strips out some of the detail. It's an appropriate mode for a crap signal like composite, though. Those of us with un-modded NES/AV Famicom might want to use it... cleans up some of the noise in that cable.

For RGB/Component or maybe even S-video on 240p, set the picture to "Picture" and turn on scanlines separately instead.

The one that says HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS that doesn't have the "Sega Enterprises" screen at startup. I think you also want the expansion port on the back. That is definitely the best for sound... It has crap composite output but you will use RGB anyway.

Sorry, I've asked this before, but I can't seem to find the answer. How do you turn on scanlines in Picture mode?

Edit: Also, some of the High Definition models with the Sega Enterprises startups have 100% pristine, sharp RGB out. There's a guide out there as to which serial numbers to look for.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sorry, I've asked this before, but I can't seem to find the answer. How do you turn on scanlines in Picture mode?

The "C" button

Edit: Also, some of the High Definition models with the Sega Enterprises startups have 100% pristine, sharp RGB out. There's a guide out there as to which serial numbers it is.

I think they all have decent RGB, don't they? It's really the sound that varies greatly between them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If you're getting a model 1 Genesis, then you want one that has BOTH the "High Definition Graphics" label on the case AND has the "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD." boot screen.

- Earlier revisions (without the boot screen) have prominent jailbars on blue colors in RGB mode. You have to kill the composite video output to fix it.
- Later revisions (without the HDG label) have poor sound.

For the model 2 Genesis, I believe that the later revisions are better than the earlier revisions when it comes to sound, but none are quite as good as the model 1.

Peagles

If you're getting a model 1 Genesis, then you want one that has BOTH the "High Definition Graphics" label on the case AND has the "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD." boot screen.

- Earlier revisions (without the boot screen) have prominent jailbars on blue colors in RGB mode. You have to kill the composite video output to fix it.

For the model 2 Genesis, I believe that the later revisions are better than the earlier revisions when it comes to sound, but none are quite as good as the model 1.

I thought the sound on later ones with the HDG label was fine as long as the ports on the back matched up to the HDG labelled ones?

My model 1 Asian NTSC (Taiwan/Philippines/Japan) Mega Drive suffers from the jailbars. I should probably mod my HDG + TMSS Genesis to play Japan MD carts so I can get rid of the import one.

antibolo

Banned
Awesome, (seriously!) thank you. SCART to BNC ordered. I'll have to look into BNC switchers - I saw one or two that are fairly expensive - it'd be cheaper to simply find a larger PVM with two BNC inputs.

No, what you want is a SCART switcher. Having a BNC switcher would be completely insane because then you would need one SCART to BNC cable for each console!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is that still an issue even if you use raw sync cables?
Yes.

early model 1 on the top vs late model 1 (revision VA6) on the bottom
why the composite video signal interferes with the blue signal
detailed testing for jailbars on the VA6

Jailbars are still there on the later revisions, but they're far less pronounced.

I thought the sound on later ones with the HDG label was fine as long as the ports on the back matched up to the HDG labelled ones?
That might be true. I don't remember exactly.

Peagles

Yes.

early model 1 on the top vs late model 1 (revision VA6) on the bottom
why the composite video signal interferes with the blue signal
detailed testing for jailbars on the VA6

Jailbars are still there on the later revisions, but they're far less pronounced.

That might be true. I don't remember exactly.

Whoops, meant to say "the sound on later ones withOUT the HDG label".

There used to be really good pics to compare it on this page but they've all been eaten by the internets.

Mine doesn't have the HDG label (in fact I've rarely seen one here in NZ) but the ports along the back line up exactly with an HDG labelled system. Some other MD1 units have a different layout. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Edit: Found this page, which has this pic:
Genesis-1---VA7-identification.jpg

I could be misremembering, it could be sound or video or even both, but you don't want the bottom one that's for sure.

That page says VA2, VA3 and VA6 all have the YM2612, it's just the VA7 that doesn't (and is basically a model 2 inside a model 1 shell).

Peagles

I just found an old LCD TV that has VGA and RGB SCART, native res 640x480. Thinking I might bite so I can use my DC and maybe other systems via SCART just to see what they look like.

No, what you want is a SCART switcher. Having a BNC switcher would be completely insane because then you would need one SCART to BNC cable for each console!

That makes a lot more sense (I was just thinking of BNC to component because those are cheap and I have a bunch already). I still need the component switcher for the PS2 and the Wii. The kick in the pants is that I was in the UK at the end of last year and could have looked around for a SCART switcher :(

IrishNinja

so in the move last year i noticed that my N64 SCART cable had a severed (i think it was blue?) wire and though oh no, one day im gonna play that and it's not gonna work so i booted up Mario 64 and bam everything works fine

the moral of this story is i have no idea how things work

Peltz

Yea, I have one with both the HD label and the "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD" boot screen - the picture is immaculate, and the sound is insane.

For some reason the C button isn't doing anything for me... What am I doing wrong?

I'm honestly not sure. I had the same question as you, tried this answer, and it worked without a hassle. Perhaps you need to be set to picture mode before hand (assuming you're not, can't think of anything else you might be doing that is different from my own experience)?

though actually, did you upgrade your firmware?

Huggers

That's very interesting. My Mega Drive has both these things. I knew I'd never seen that boot screen before. My original Mega Drive was pretty much a launch unit

That's very interesting. My Mega Drive has both these things. I knew I'd never seen that boot screen before. My original Mega Drive was pretty much a launch unit
Wait, you're asserting that your Mega Drive has the TMSS boot screen, but you knew you'd never seen the TMSS boot screen before

psyduck.gif

I'm still so tempted to get some old Nintendo consoles, but it doesn't make any sense since I'm in Europe and everything is in 50hz, right??

Help me save some money!

Huggers

I'm still so tempted to get some old Nintendo consoles, but it doesn't make any sense since I'm in Europe and everything is in 50hz, right??

Help me save some money!

I collect PAL stuff because to me it's about the nostalgia of buying what I used to own. Wait that's not helping is it?

That's not entirely true.

Yes, that's all the optimisation Sega ever did, they were particularly bad. Until the Saturn actually, when Sega started to optimise well on some mid-gem titles (VF2 was great). Sony was also almost universally awful, almost no games on any Sony consoles were ever PAL optimised (until the PS3 where it became HD and irrelevant). Strange how PAL territories overall embraced the companies that treated them the worst, optimisation wise (goes to show that most people don't even notice).

80% of Nintendo first party games were speed and music optimised on all consoles, all the way back to Super Mario Bros, Metroid and Zelda. ALL SNES games had the correct music speed, because the sound chip ran on a separate clock, and quite a lot had resolution adjustments to fill the screen and speed adjustments. There were some odd exceptions, like the half optimised Kirby's Adventure, and a few early N64 games like Wave Race. And many N64 3rd party games were too. PAL GCN games almost universally had a 60Hz option, though unfortunately it replaced the progressive scan option. Some GCN games (e.g. Metroid Prime 1) the PAL version is the best because it runs at a higher resolution - it's a true 576i, with 20% more lines rendered on screen.

Overall a mixed bag, and PAL is not how the games were originally designed so I don't use it at all anymore (except the odd GCN). But Nintendo truly treated PAL by far the best in terms of optimisation.

I would just like to add that if you want the proper experience avoid all 50 hz optimised games, saturn ones like Sega rally had their gameplay adjusted to match the 60hz but the overall image, whilst at first glance looks full screen is actually the pal squashed image with the sky,ground area just extended, ie, you're still getting a distorted image, this is also true of umk3 for the saturn, and also mk3 for snes, if you switch these pal optimised games to 60hz, it corrects the screen geometry but runs far too fast.

I collect PAL stuff because to me it's about the nostalgia of buying what I used to own. Wait that's not helping is it?

Not helping at all!

Funny thing is that until a few months ago I wans't even aware of the 50/60hz stuff. Now I feel cheated! All those games I played in my youth ran quite a bit slower than intended.

antibolo

Banned
That makes a lot more sense (I was just thinking of BNC to component because those are cheap and I have a bunch already). I still need the component switcher for the PS2 and the Wii. The kick in the pants is that I was in the UK at the end of last year and could have looked around for a SCART switcher :(

Instead of mixing up SCART and component you should probably just go all SCART.

The PS2 can do RGB just fine and you can find SCART cables at the usual channels for them.

The Wii is trickier though, NTSC models don't do RGB, but if you get a SCART cable for it, maybe you can send a component signal through it? In theory this should work, you'd just have to toggle your PVM's RGB input to component mode whenever your Wii is used, but maybe Nintendo does weird stuff that makes SCART cables not work at all on a NTSC Wii? Anybody knows?

Instead of mixing up SCART and component you should probably just go all SCART.

The PS2 can do RGB just fine and you can find SCART cables at the usual channels for them.

The Wii is trickier though, NTSC models don't do RGB, but if you get a SCART cable for it, maybe you can send a component signal through it? In theory this should work, you'd just have to toggle your PVM's RGB input to component mode whenever your Wii is used, but maybe Nintendo does weird stuff that makes SCART cables not work at all on a NTSC Wii? Anybody knows?

Supposedly you can use AnyRegionChanger to change your Wii's video output to PAL which will enable the use of RGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom