• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenpp72

For the Dreamcast, you'll want a Toro: it can output 480p through either VGA or SCART, the latter specifically designed to be accepted by the Framemeister. I have one and it's amazing. Google "Dreamcast Toro" and it should be the first thing that pops up.

The Framemeister can accept Composite, S-Video, and RGB straight out of the box (note, the SCART to Mini RGB adapter provided with the Frameister is JP-21; you'll probably want a Euro SCART adapter). Component needs a "Component to D-Terminal" adapter/cable to be accepted. I bought a cheap Chinese one and it works great.

I don't think RF is supported. You could try asking IrishNinja, he's the resident "RF Defence Force" around here ;)

But in the event I want to use the VGA portion with the toro through my framemeister, is that possible or only the Scart portion?

BTails

But in the event I want to use the VGA portion with the toro through my framemeister, is that possible or only the Scart portion?

I don't think there's any EASY way to hook up a VGA cable to the Framemeister, but the Toro feeds VGA from the Dreamcast into a Euro SCART cable for use with the Frameister. It even has L/R Stereo RCA out if you want to use that instead. There's no reason to run the VGA cable to a Framemeister when using a Toro; the VGA out is for use woth a monitor, compatable HDTV, etc.

goldenpp72

I don't think there's any EASY way to hook up a VGA cable to the Framemeister, but the Toro feeds VGA from the Dreamcast into a Euro SCART cable for use with the Frameister. It even has L/R Stereo RCA out if you want to use that instead. There's no reason to run the VGA cable to a Framemeister when using a Toro; the VGA out is for use woth a monitor, compatable HDTV, etc.

I assume though in that process that you can no longer get 480P since Scart doesn't support that right? I'm still pretty new in this area so please be patient with me :p Basically I am trying to see if it's possible to get 480p upscaled on Dreamcast through a Framemeister, if not wouldn't you just be able to buy a normal Scart cable and call it a day or is there something else to it?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm patiently listening to the Dreamcast/VGA/Toro/Framemeister talk myself. It's time to get my DC hooked up to my setup.

I actually moved away from putting 480p+ stuff through the Framemeister, as my TV does a great job with that stuff already. Do I really need a Toro or would I be okay using any VGA adapter? (I have to get a VGA to HDMI converter anyway, potentially, so if Toro is superior I'd invest the money into that instead)

Got my Super Famicom and tried various AV cables, here are the results (on a PAL Sony CRT television):

Hori SFC composite cable: the picture is too bright with washed out colors and visible vertical lines especially when the background is black.

Handmade RGB Scart cable for NTSC SNES/SFC, bought it from an ebay seller, not a thick cable: bright picture and washed out colors, same as the SFC composite but sharper and less noisy, there is also a darker vertical line in the middle of the screen

PAL Gamecube composite cable: the brightness is OK, the colors are yellowish or warm somehow but looks better than the previous 2 cables, there's also a vertical line in the screen.

Official Gamecube Scart cable: as sharp as the handmade RGB cable, not too bright and no washed out colors, it looks OK but I got the same vertical line, it's less visible with this cable but still not the quality what I'd like to see. (This cable has a sync problem on SFC, it works only for a few seconds, I just wanted to check the quality.)

I tested the cables with my PAL Gamecube and got the same results, the PAL composite and Scart is good, the picture is too bright with the Hori and the handmade RGB cable, but NO vertical lines.

I want to use my SFC with a consumer Sony CRT TV not with a Sony PVM.

Should I buy a quality RGB cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk, or the official SFC RGB+JP21--Scart converter?

BTails

I assume though in that process that you can no longer get 480P since Scart doesn't support that right? I'm still pretty new in this area so please be patient with me :p Basically I am trying to see if it's possible to get 480p upscaled on Dreamcast through a Framemeister, if not wouldn't you just be able to buy a normal Scart cable and call it a day or is there something else to it?

The Framemeister can accept 480p over SCART, and the Toro can output 480p over SCART. It's perfect for those of us who do not have a VGA-in on our HDTVs (My old TV had one, my two newest TVs do not).

A normal dreamcast SCART cable will not give you 480p, to the best of my knowledge. The Toro is specifically designed to output 480p through SCART to upscalers, as very few devices accept 480p through RGB.

From what I've read, the VGA boxes made by these guys are the best of the best (and my Toro attests to this), but if you have VGA-in, you can probably go with a cheaper VGA box with very little quality difference.

Scart supports 480p, but many consoles won't output 480p via scart, or do so in an odd way.

Khaz

I don't think any console output 480p through Scart?

Scart was devised with 240p/480i 15kHz in mind, with Composite video for Sync. Even though it could easily carry 480p 31kHz with csync, it wasn't part of the official design so no TV manufacturer implemented it and no multimedia device supported it. There are the few odd devices that can understand a 480p RGBS signal like the occasional PVM or the Framemeister, but that was never widespread. It could have been, though, if the Scart committee pushed for it, as there is no technical difficulties. But the USA developed their own competing standard with Component, and with the rise of DVI and HDMI as digital carriers it was time to put the Scart to sleep. It had a good life.

Yeah, you can force 480p RGBS through Scart and it will work, but you need both devices to output it and understand it. Definitely not common, but a Toro and a Framemeister can do it as others said.

My Toro does 480p through Scart to my PVM, and I love it. In fact I seem to remember trying to get people hyped on GAF about it when preorders were being done, and some of GAF vehemently thought 480p on Scart was impossible
Edit: While I've made this post, how do I adjust the scan level on a 20l5? The underscan button helps but is waaay too much underscan for some games lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So how difficult would it be to install the NESRGB mod into a top loader? Would it just be better to find someone else to mod it?

It's one of the more difficult console mods for sure. I wouldn't try it if you're new at this kind of thing.

If my PAL PS2 shows up on my CRT TV in black and white but without a rolling image with the standard composite cables when I try to run at 60Hz, I'll be good to just get an RGB SCART right?

Collected the M4E. The image is beautiful but there is no sound, although I'm told that it can be turned on and off in the service menu? Either way, the seller offered a discount due to no sound. I'll have to have a poke around and see what's up.

I have a model 1 Genesis hooked up via R_C_S's model 1 SCART cable with headphone audio into my mini and want to incorporate Sega CD and eventually 32X for the urtimert Genesis setup. Do I need a certain model Sega CD and/or 32X, and will I need another cable?
It looks like model 1 has a specific CD unit for it, the one that sits under the Genesis, is that right, and can I then use the same cable?
As for the 32X, I see that R_C_S sells a model 2/32X cable, does that mean 32X is not compatible with a model 1 Genesis SCART cable? Does it use a separate connection entirely?

Ramune

I have a model 1 Genesis hooked up via R_C_S's model 1 SCART cable with headphone audio into my mini and want to incorporate Sega CD and eventually 32X for the urtimert Genesis setup. Do I need a certain model Sega CD and/or 32X, and will I need another cable?
It looks like model 1 has a specific CD unit for it, the one that sits under the Genesis, is that right, and can I then use the same cable?
As for the 32X, I see that R_C_S sells a model 2/32X cable, does that mean 32X is not compatible with a model 1 Genesis SCART cable? Does it use a separate connection entirely?

For the model 1, you can use either model 1 or model 2 Sega CD units!

P1000848.jpg

SEGA%20Genesis%201%20CD%202%20d.jpg

One thing to note about the model 2, in that picture you see that extra piece at the end where the Genesis is housed? Most people lose that piece for one reason or another, so don't be surprised to see it not included. But it should work fine without it, just...aesthetics....and sanity at first! ^_^;

As for the 32X, you can use a Model 1 as well

As for the cable...they should have a specific cable for hooking up a Model 1 Genesis unit to a 32X, but someone else can chime in on that. I haven't ventured down that road quite yet....

brainpann

A 32X will output with a model 2 Genesis cable.. You will also need a model 1 to 32X (mixing?) cable to go from the model 1 to the 32X.

goldenpp72

So thanks for the help so far, I have ordered various switches and cables from suggestions here. Still waiting on my cables and working on ordering some consoles. I had some questions about the framemeister. Is there any where that list optimal settings and explains stuff, and do you have to setup for each system each time you play? Was there ever a solution for games that switch resolutions in game and how/where do I update the firmware? Thanks!

Is there any where that list optimal settings and explains stuff, and do you have to setup for each system each time you play? Was there ever a solution for games that switch resolutions in game and how/where do I update the firmware? Thanks!
There is a wiki at junkerhq but it is sparse on nuts and bolts settings. I haven't found much for settings myself and have been using the mini mostly on its default settings. It still has the resolution changing issue, I recently found out Virtua Fighter 2 for Saturn switches a lot between 240p and 480i on the fighter select and some other screens, quite annoying.

So the no sound thing on my PVM-20M4E was just a menu setting. I think it was expecting a remote before or something, but now that the remote LED isn't lit on the front the sound is working.

Now to adjust the image as best I can from the OSD service menu!

Was going to crack the back off and look at the speaker situation but I'm glad I didn't now, thank you nylon pushpins. :p

To remedy this:

Hit the Menu button
->
Go down to User Config and hit Enter
->
Go down the User Preset and hit Enter
->
Select Off

Edit: You'll have to ignore me slumped on the floor, but I quickly adjusted the geometry using the OSD and came to a satisfactory result using the linearity test. This was using Artemio's 240p test suite on my Duo R.

j0fPbFp.jpg

8FJYPNR.jpg

goldenpp72

Nearing the end of my setup issues but the biggest remaining problem I have is trying to find a way to switch Scart connections. Is there any definitive way to get ones that don't degrade image quality? I have a need for i'd say 12 ports all together, so it would be nice to start figuring out how to handle this. I saw the one on Assembler but it seems to be stuck in preorder heaven so not practical right now.

Adam Blue

I've got a spare retro gaming cables.co.uk SNES NTSC CSYNC cable or a Female RGBS SCART to BNC adapter breakout cable w/audio that I'm looking to trade for a PlayStation euro scart cable.

I bought a PlayStation Scart cable off ebay for like $7 bucks a while back and I never got it to work. Probably got what I paid for.

dhonk

Hey you guys ever had an order from Solaris Japan and had issues?

075nn3i.png

Normal to have it "processing" for like 15 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom