• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

I put this in the Mega Drive thread too, but I just got my Master System games running on it in RGB SCART with a cart converter I scored for a buck. Looks nice!

It's in 60Hz but it isn't full screen. If I switch back to PAL I get an even smaller screen so not sure if it's fixable. Still cool none-the-less.

IMAG0305_zpsda34778f.jpg

Hey guys, possibly a silly question - I'm quite ignorant when it comes to these matters - but I was wondering if games from the 32 bit era with pre-rendered backgrounds (e.g. FFs, RE, etc) would benefit much from these kind of set ups? Does anyone have any shots to illustrate that? Those SOTN shots look great.

Gunsmithx

Cross posting here from the saturn thread since I was told I might get a faster answer here.

Ok, so I finally broke down and got me a Saturn. local yard sale had an old blockbuster rental unit(wanted the case) with some games and a few controllers. Anyway I took it by Irish's place to test out and while we can get it working with composite cables we couldn't get it to work with his rgb set up.

What we were wondering was is there a difference in models? Mine's a model 1 and his is a model 2 with the euroscart cables into a framemister. Would I need different scart cables or is my unit's rgb borked? Thanks for any help, trying to see if I need to back to the guy I bought it from to get my money back.

IrishNinja

Hey guys, possibly a silly question - I'm quite ignorant when it comes to these matters - but I was wondering if games from the 32 bit era with pre-rendered backgrounds (e.g. FFs, RE, etc) would benefit much from these kind of set ups? Does anyone have any shots to illustrate that? Those SOTN shots look great.

well, Chacranajxy's section of the OP shots are (i believe) all 32-bit era, and if its mostly RGB (not upscaler) you're after, great screenshots here

plc268

well, Chacranajxy's section of the OP shots are (i believe) all 32-bit era, and if its mostly RGB (not upscaler) you're after, great screenshots here

Those pictures really do a disservice to gaming on real hardware. You look at all those pictures, and on almost all of them, the emulator shot is superior. This is in large part because the composite/rgb pics weren't taken from the same screen the emulator pics were.

Here's a better compilation of comparison pics from the same site:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

Although, there isn't anything in the way of 32bit stuff in that link though

IrishNinja

^you know, that's a very valid complaint; i was just looking at the shots there & thinking that. having one setup for Saturn on emulator & another with it RGB over framemeister, i don't think that gives an accurate/full representation either....and that's even with my lazy results where i don't do nearly enough tweaking per system (i still wish we had a good detailed setup page, i'd use that more! the wiki is largely barren). Retro Gaming Hazard (where i get much of my upscaler info) has some fantastic shots but again, that's for upscaling.

baphomet

Cross posting here from the saturn thread since I was told I might get a faster answer here.

Ok, so I finally broke down and got me a Saturn. local yard sale had an old blockbuster rental unit(wanted the case) with some games and a few controllers. Anyway I took it by Irish's place to test out and while we can get it working with composite cables we couldn't get it to work with his rgb set up.

What we were wondering was is there a difference in models? Mine's a model 1 and his is a model 2 with the euroscart cables into a framemister. Would I need different scart cables or is my unit's rgb borked? Thanks for any help, trying to see if I need to back to the guy I bought it from to get my money back.

So are you literally just switching the cable out of irish's setup into yours and it's not working? As far as i know there's no difference between the 2 of them. The Pinouts are the same on the av out port. That's a very strange issue. I wouldn't even know where to begin with troubleshooting it.

IrishNinja

^that's exaclty what he's doing, yeah. like he said, AV cables were fine, RGB was nothing, i tested 2 model 2's and it worked great, and i can't recall retro_console_accessories telling me there was any difference in the wiring per system, pretty sure when i bought it she didn't have any other kind up for sale (unlike say RGB cables separate for model 1 & 2 genesis). we're hoping to try fellow gaffer Bishopcruz's model 1 on my setup in the morning just to make sure...he also bought some systems from the same garage sale that went poorly so we'll see? guess i should've tested that GBA out, heh

Dunno about the framemeister stuff, but I've used the same RGB SCART cable for both model 1 and model 2 PAL Saturn consoles here in Norway.

baphomet

The saturn outputs composite video and has it's own composite sync pin. it should literally be exactly the same between the 2 systems. mine is a model 1 and it works perfectly fine in rgb. i would lean towards there being something wrong with the system, but why would composite video work and not rgb? honestly got no idea.

tehrafe

Has anyone used the Lenkeng Lkv363 by any chance?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008F29NYY/

I don't have the time/skills to mod any of my old consoles to RGB and they are all PAL ones which apparently creates extra problems.
I'm just looking for a quick and easy solution to connect my NES/SNES/N64 to my HDTV without having to use the composite input on my tv because
it looks awful. Although I'm not sure if the Lkv363 will actually improve the image quality (since it converts the composite to HDMI).

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

HaL64

Has anyone used the Lenkeng Lkv363 by any chance?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008F29NYY/

I don't have the time/skills to mod any of my old consoles to RGB and they are all PAL ones which apparently creates extra problems.
I'm just looking for a quick and easy solution to connect my NES/SNES/N64 to my HDTV without having to use the composite input on my tv because
it looks awful. Although I'm not sure if the Lkv363 will actually improve the image quality (since it converts the composite to HDMI).

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

It is hard to imagine that thing giving you good image quality, it would probably do the same thing your tv would already do. Composite will look nasty without spending the money on decent hardware scalar, in which case it still won't look great.

I think if you want to get serious, you have to go CRT (which is awesome since you live in a pal region where no doubt there plenty of RGB capable sets for free/cheap).
Or get a proper upscaler (expensive).

tehrafe

It is hard to imagine that thing giving you good image quality, it would probably do the same thing your tv would already do. Composite will look nasty without spending the money on decent hardware scalar, in which case it still won't look great.

I think if you want to get serious, you have to go CRT (which is awesome since you live in a pal region where no doubt there plenty of RGB capable sets for free/cheap).
Or get a proper upscaler (expensive).

Yeah I kind of guessed it would be the same since it probably doesn't upscale like the Framemeister for example.
I'm wondering what the results would be if I insert the Composite into the Framemeister without modifying the console for RGB.

I'm currently using an old CRT but it's a very small one and getting a big CRT in my appartment might prove to be quite the challenge
(I'm on the third floor and the elevator is very small)

Thanks for the reply though

Rich!

Yeah I kind of guessed it would be the same since it probably doesn't upscale like the Framemeister for example.
I'm wondering what the results would be if I insert the Composite into the Framemeister without modifying the console for RGB.

I'm currently using an old CRT but it's a very small one and getting a big CRT in my appartment might prove to be quite the challenge

If you're hooking up a console to the XRGB without RGB, then you've wasted your money.

baphomet

Composite into an XRGB will still look like composite. Just scaled up to 720/1080p. You're best bet is just getting rgb cables for the consoles that support it out of the box (master system, genesis, snes, saturn, playstation, dreamcast, gamecube if you're in pal land, etc) and using an rgb to component converter. That's going to give you the best possible quality without spending the money on an XRGB. You'll just have to live with composite/svideo on the other consoles unless you decide to pay someone to mod them. That hdmi converter would look far worse than just plugging your consoles into your tv with composite. I'm sure the scaler in your tv is much better than the one in the box.

On another note i finally got my tate monitor setup to play around with. It's a 14n6u with very few hours on it manufactured in 00. Now i just need to set up a "studio" downstairs so i have someplace to keep it hooked up all the time.

tehrafe

If you're hooking up a console to the XRGB without RGB, then you've wasted your money.

Makes sense and now I feel like a total idiot for not realizing this earlier. I'm going to start looking around for a bigger CRT then
and maybe in the future when I have time look into getting my consoles modded.

Thanks guys

Rich!

Makes sense and now I feel like a total idiot for not realizing this earlier. I'm going to start looking around for a bigger CRT then
and maybe in the future when I have time look into getting my consoles modded.

Thanks guys

You listed NES, SNES and 64 right? NES is a really expensive mod as it needs a custom board fitted. 64 isn't too bad, but you need one of a range of revisions - PAL consoles are a no no. I got my RGB modded 64 from gaffer baphomet 666, and it's amazing.

But SNES? SNES outputs RGB natively. You just need a properly wired cable from eBay. Mine cost £3. Buy a couple of wires, a resistor and a throw switch (£5 altogether from maplin) and you can get your PAL SNES as multi region with 50/60hz capability. Even if you don't do that, you still have RGB output as standard with no modding.

Be wary that PAL and NTSC RGB SCART cables For the SNES are wired differently though.

But yeah, if you do get one for your snes you're gonna want to mod it for 60hz regardless. I can't even begin to imagine how nasty 50hz games with giant borders would look on an XRGB, even with RGB. It's a dead easy mod though - I did it when I was 15.

Soulhouf

To be fair, S-Video works fine. RGB is better of course but I would be lying if I say that I noticed much of difference between RGB and S-Video on my PS1.

Because the difference was so small, I went back to S-Video. The mess caused by all the cables connected together to get a separate output audio isn't worth it IMO.

I depends on the console you are using of course. The difference is more noticeable on Super Nintendo for example.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To be fair, S-Video works fine. RGB is better of course but I would be lying if I say that I noticed much of difference between RGB and S-Video on my PS1.

Because the difference was so small, I went back to S-Video. The mess caused by all the cables connected together to get a separate output audio isn't worth it IMO.

I depends on the console you are using of course. The difference is more noticeable on Super Nintendo for example.
It's true. S-video is not perfect, as RGB is, but not bad. It's relatively free of the artifacts that make RF or composite depressing.

I'd rather swap cables or buy an RGB switcher than ever downgrade to s-video myself, though.

outsidah

How would you all compare the output by the Wii U VC over HDMI vs. a SNES 2 w/ RGB mod w/ a Framemeister? I picked up a Framemeister from my CMVS and am wondering if it's worth modding my SNES or just using VC.

Soulhouf

How would you all compare the output by the Wii U VC over HDMI vs. a SNES 2 w/ RGB mod w/ a Framemeister? I picked up a Framemeister from my CMVS and am wondering if it's worth modding my SNES or just using VC.

SNES VC on WiiU are well upscaled and look very clean.
NES on the other hand are blurry and look like shit.
If you really want a gorgeous image quality of NES games, you have 2 solutions:
- RGB mod for NES
- Use the Wii version of NES VC which is well emulated.
You'll need a Framemeister for both of them if you are using a HD TV.
The 2nd solution is easier but unfortunately you will miss many good games that weren't released on VC.

outsidah

- RGB mod for NES
The 2nd solution is easier but unfortunately you will miss many good games that weren't released on VC.

Thank you! Just the info I was looking for.

Blues1990

- RGB mod for NES

That isn't entirely true, at least for the SNES games. For example, Kirby Super Star looks a lot darker than the SNES & Wii version.

Seik

Banned
Just found someone near where I live that will sell me his RGB modded N64 for...64$

Sounds legit, haha!

I don't even have a framemeister yet though...it'll come this year I guess. D:

Lettuce

You listed NES, SNES and 64 right? NES is a really expensive mod as it needs a custom board fitted.

Just added the NESRGB mod to my NTSC NES, and god damn the picture is great, damn you Nintendo for depriving us of RGB for 28 years!!!!, the audio is also greatly improved with this mod too......

jbiNi3V6OlMquE.jpg

j9F8Dl7SxgBdK.jpg

HaL64

Just added the NESRGB mod to my NTSC NES, and god damn the picture is great, damn you Nintendo for depriving us of RGB for 28 years!!!!, the audio is also greatly improved with this mod too......

jbiNi3V6OlMquE.jpg

j9F8Dl7SxgBdK.jpg

Just ordered an NESRGB. Got any pics of your mod work?
I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to use for an av out.

IrishNinja

^bapho is the dude you guys wanna talk to for the details on this mod

wait, it improves the audio as well, having it pass through the SCART cable? that'd be awesome to find out, but it's the first i'm hearing of it

Lettuce

Just ordered an NESRGB. Got any pics of your mod work?
I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to use for an av out.

ibyf69QtfBJy0g.JPG

ibtFlc3xWiBhWI.JPG

ibkSpT5oo6CQAs.JPG

iN0ItyxJFaed3.JPG

iVqNKzurV2xOy.jpg

iy5elv6T6KKY6.jpg

iLtyfzhagfGP0.jpg

ibsmmxG2iW9ttC.jpg

I just made up a scart lead myself, you can find the mini-din plugs on ebay and just bought some 8 core wire and scart plugs.

HaL64

ibsmmxG2iW9ttC.jpg

I just made up a scart lead myself, you can find the mini-din plugs on ebay and just bought some 8 core wire and scart plugs.

Nice work, this is going to be a fun mod.
Good idea to place the palette switch there.
Not sure I like the mini-din. Would rather have a snes style AV port. Might be kinda hard to do that and make it look nice.

rothgar

jbiNi3V6OlMquE.jpg

j9F8Dl7SxgBdK.jpg

Are you using a Framemeister or a TV with a SCART input?

Lettuce

Nice work, this is going to be a fun mod.
Good idea to place the palette switch there.
Not sure I like the mini-din. Would rather have a snes style AV port. Might be kinda hard to do that and make it look nice.

Yeah I would have preferred to use a Nintendo multiout but getting hold of one is a chore and fitting it would take more work. Maybe someone will start to fabricate a run of the multiout ports and maybe a blanking cover for easy install

Are you using a Framemeister or a TV with a SCART input?

Framemeister

^bapho is the dude you guys wanna talk to for the details on this mod

wait, it improves the audio as well, having it pass through the SCART cable? that'd be awesome to find out, but it's the first i'm hearing of it
I'd like some details on the sound as well, as I wasn't aware that it did anything there either!

Honestly, I'd want somebody to do the mod for me, but preferably to my personal NES rather than another one. I'm waiting for the board to become common enough that that's an option.

baphomet

Ive got an extra board ordered, so ill be able to do one for someone in this batch. If it hadnt been immediately after christmas id have quite a few more.

antibolo

Banned
Is there any advantage in using a front loader for the NESRGB mod? If I'm ever to get one I would vastly prefer it in a top loader (so sick and tired of front loaders).

baphomet

Is there any advantage in using a front loader for the NESRGB mod? If I'm ever to get one I would vastly prefer it in a top loader (so sick and tired of front loaders).

Not particularly. More room for adding the connections, and some have mentioned that the ppu can touch the cpu below the board. He may have corrected the adapter board which would fix that problem though.

Just bit the bullet on this and the RGB cable. Is the mod hard? Hopefully I can pull it off!

It shouldn't be that bad, according to the posts I've seen and pieces I've read, but I can't offer anything personal because I missed the board the first time around too.

Bit on it here, though.

baphomet

Just bit the bullet on this and the RGB cable. Is the mod hard? Hopefully I can pull it off!

Just take a good look at the instructions and installs and know exactly what you're going to do before you ever have the board. Its more time consuming than difficult. Make sure you have the correct tools to remove the existing ppu cleanly like lettuce above. Aside from that it's pretty easy. Removing the ppu is the most difficult part. It can be finicky.

Lettuce

Yeah the PPU on the first one I did was such a pain to remove, there was like 3 legs that just refused to come lose no matter how many times I used my electric solder sucker on them.....but eventually they did so just be patient and don't rush.

Defo get an electric solder sucker pump, without one your fighting a losing battle, if you do happen to snap a leg off the PPU it's not the end of the world (as long as it's not a break where you don't have any of the leg visible anymore) as you can always solder some solid core wire to the leg once the PPU is in place on the NESRGB pcb. Also never use a flat head screw driver to try and ease the PPU out from the nes mainboard you could end up going through a trace, find something plastic instead that you can wedge between the PPU and mainboard to try and ease it out once you have removed the solder from the legs of the ppu. Good luck and just take your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom