• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJA

I'm confused.

Wouldn't I need to get a SCART Cable like this for my AV Famicom, since the signal is NTSC?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ecbafca98

This costs $17.99 US + $9.55 for shipping.

Or would this cable suffice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N64-Ninte...able-Lead-screened-Stereo-Sound-/190890743589

Also, after doing some more research, I'm pretty sure I can use this adapter rather than buying a custom cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hama-Scart-...ion_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ec23e1627

antibolo

Banned
?? The AV Famicom does not support RGB out of the box. If it has indeed been modded for RGB, you should ask whoever did the mod for advice on what specific cable to pick (probably same as NTSC SNES, dunno about raw sync or not).

Beckx

I think KJA is thinking of modding the AV Famicom with the NESRGB.

viletim will sell custom cables for the board (mini-din) for SCART standard, or you can hook it up with a SNES multiout & just grab a SNES SCART cable on the cheap from retro gaming cables UK (if you're in the UK) or retro console accessories (if you're in the US).

KJA

I think KJA is thinking of modding the AV Famicom with the NESRGB.

viletim will sell custom cables for the board (mini-din) for SCART standard, or you can hook it up with a SNES multiout & just grab a SNES SCART cable on the cheap from retro gaming cables UK (if you're in the UK) or retro console accessories (if you're in the US).

Yupp, what Beckx said.

I'll just keep thinking about the NESRGB board in the back of my mind for now (especially since it's currently sold out anyways).

However, I do have some second thoughts about modding my AV Famicom. I bought it on eBay, brand new, a couple years ago. I have since played with it but I'm not entirely sure if I want to "sacrifice" it, if that makes any sense.

baphomet

Yupp, what Beckx said.

I'll just keep thinking about the NESRGB board in the back of my mind for now (especially since it's currently sold out anyways).

However, I do have some second thoughts about modding my AV Famicom. I bought it on eBay, brand new, a couple years ago. I have since played with it but I'm not entirely sure if I want to "sacrifice" it, if that makes any sense.

So if youre wanting to use the nesrgb board on an av famicom as far as i know you can run the signal from the board to the existing av out pins. You would also have to remove the 220uf caps on the r, g, and b lines from the nesrgb board. Otherwise itll run through that set and the set in the cables, thus not working correctly.

Yes Boss!

So if youre wanting to use the nesrgb board on an av famicom as far as i know you can run the signal from the board to the existing av out pins. You would also have to remove the 220uf caps on the r, g, and b lines from the nesrgb board. Otherwise itll run through that set and the set in the cables, thus not working correctly.

Something I hope you will be able to do!

I'm bringing back a couple...maybe even 3 AV Famis in march. Gotta get at least one converted by you!

Beckx

Xrgb can be weird with the Wii. Still can't get mine to do 16:9. But GameCube games (via Wii) look great and that's all I really use the Wii for now anyway (it's more convenient for me to play Wii stuff on the Wii U).

Recently I've got the itch to improve my retro gaming setup so I've been shopping around for TVs and scalers. While rummaging at local used hardware shops in my area, I came across an XRGB3 complete in box for 19000 yen. That's a steal, but sadly my current HDTV doesn't have DVI-D or VGA inputs, only HDMI and S-Video. I think I could get a DVI-D to HDMI converter cable since it's all digital to output to my TV but I'm not sure if it will work. Has anyone else tried this?

I'm also thinking maybe it's time to get another TV instead. My current TV was bought in haste a couple years back at a year end electronics store sale. I got a 40 inch Toshiba Regza for 40000 yen which wasn't that bad. The only real downer was that it was missing VGA/DVI inputs as were many other modern TVs I've seen in Japan... So I'm kind of torn here. Should I just sell off the TV and search for another TV with VGA or a DVI-I compatible port? Or can I get by with using the XRGB3 as a stopgap to give me a VGA input for hooking up my Dreamcast VGA box?

I've also tried VGA to HDMI scalers from china but they either didn't work at all or gave me a severely washed out image. My TV really doesn't like scaling analog devices through HDMI. This worries me a bit... I think I just got a shitty TV and now it's really showing.

Soulhouf

what's your setup & settings? that's weird, i have mine on component and don't seem to have any issue with them at 720p

Image Mode: NATURAL
Scanlines ON
Display 1080p 60
Sharpness = 0
Auto Scaler ON
Plugged via the official Nintendo RGB cable to the XRGB Mini.

The weird thing is when I launch a VC game, the scanlines are there and the image quality is gorgeous but they disappear on Wii and GC games (tested with Baten Kaitos II and Super Mario Galaxy).

Vark

Ugh, browsing this thread has directly led me to considering tracking down a Sharp Famicom Titler. Talk me down people.

Rich!

Just a few more images of my RGB N64's image. Sorry about the brightness in these shots - I forgot I still had my polarizing filter on the lens.

iosWF5tuU0mJ6.JPG

You can still see just how goddamn crisp it is. It's like, as crisp as a Playstation's output - which is awesome.

Totally and utterly depends on the game though.

There's no point in not going with SCART. As I previously said in this thread it's what everyone has standardized to. You're only limiting your options if you go JP21, for instance there are very few JP21 switches out there. Just buy a SCART input cable for your XRGB and forget about JP21 forever.
Oh I agree with you completely, but I still have the SCART audio issue which I could resolve by investing in a SCART switchbox... But what US/NTSC legacy consoles even support SCART without modding? Here's what I currently have and how I'm routing them through the XRGBmini:

NES - composite
SNES - s-video
N64 - s-video
Gamecube - component
Wii - component

Half-dead Genesis - in bacta tank
Saturn - SCART (...eventually)
Dreamcast - VGA, not using XRGBmini

PS2 - component

I definitely get that I'm limiting my expandability potential, but I guess my issue is I don't really understand what that potential is at the moment.

But what US/NTSC legacy consoles even support SCART without modding?
SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast (I think, but VGA's better), PS1, PS2 (I think, but component's better because progressive scan), I'm pretty sure.

I'm not sure about Neo Geo and TurboGrafx-16; the former I think is a definite "yes", but I'm really clueless on the other one.

NES definitively does not support RGB, or anything higher than composite, out of the box (hell, the top-loader only supports RF), N64 maxes out at S-Video without modding for RGB (and even then, only a select few can be modded), and only European Gamecubes support SCART (US GCs are better using component, anyway, if you're willing to shell out the dough).

antibolo

Banned
But what US/NTSC legacy consoles even support SCART without modding?

Where RGB is supported, and is the best option: SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, NeoGeo AES, NeoGeo CD, PS1

Where RGB is supported, but also VGA and/or component: Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox

Where RGB is not supported, but if modded to do so becomes the best option: NES, N64, TG16/PCE

Where RGB is only supported on PAL models: GameCube, Wii

SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast (I think, but VGA's better), PS1, PS2 (I think, but component's better because progressive scan), I'm pretty sure.

I'm not sure about Neo Geo and TurboGrafx-16; the former I think is a definite "yes", but I'm really clueless on the other one.

NES definitively does not support RGB, or anything higher than composite, out of the box (hell, the top-loader only supports RF), N64 maxes out at S-Video without modding for RGB (and even then, only a select few can be modded), and only European Gamecubes support SCART (US GCs are better using component, anyway, if you're willing to shell out the dough).

Where RGB is supported, and is the best option: SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, NeoGeo AES, NeoGeo CD, PS1

Where RGB is not supported, but if modded to do so becomes the best option: NES, N64, TG16/PCE

Oh wow, awesome. I had no idea... I feel like I've taken my first step into a larger world but now I've got some shopping to do. Thanks guys!

Bar81

My bad.

antibolo

Banned
Oh wow, awesome. I had no idea... I feel like I've taken my first step into a larger world but now I've got some shopping to do. Thanks guys!

You're in luck regarding shopping, retro_console_accessories now sells SCART cables for all of the above in the first category.

She's so awesome.

Quackula

I'm gonna have to set some cash aside from that NESRGB board. That thing's a megaton, I've pretty much been waiting for something like that forever. No idea how I let that slip by me.

I had an RGB modded N64 that I'd done myself, but I screwed up a bit on it (it was one of my first ever modding attempts, go easy) and need to do some major stuff to get it working again. I might just hunt down a different N64 sometime and start it all over, for now I'm sticking with s-video.

Rotanibor

Hello, I just got a UD-CPS2, a consolized CPS2 and am looking to upscale a composite/s-video feed to HDMI for streaming purposes. As in, the main feed would still go to a CRT, I just want to capture it with HDMI.

Does anybody know of a *cheap* HDMI upscaler that works with CPS2 output?

Thanks for any help!

Ban Puncher

Is there a list of recommended 'Sync Levels' for the Framemeister? Had to play with them a bit to get the XRGB to play nice with the Saturn and NeoGeo.

Beckx

Micomsoft posted on twitter, asking whether people would be interested in a way to hook up the Dreamcast. Go reply and say yes.

@MicomsoftX 2h
今日はドリームキャストの誕生日ですか!XRGB-mini用ドリームキャストRGBケーブルって、需要ありますかね?簡単なダイオードと抵抗があれば作れます(;´・ω・) pic.twitter.com/BvFyPQd87O

BaEurU9CIAAjDHX.jpg

Since DC has the VGA option, there are several inexpensive upscaler or scanline generator options. Still, it would be nice for low res games that don't support VGA like Bangai-O and Gunbird 2.

Can you not connect your DC RGB cables to existing Micomsoft scalers?

IrishNinja

since i currently use DC VGA > powered HDMI converter, i haven't had any issue with Bangi-O and games that i'm told don't support VGA for whatever reason. it'd be nice to free up a plug but i don't really mind actually using one of the HDMI slots on the framemeister, god knows why it has 1 component, 1 RGB and 2 HDMI's anyway

Beckx

Since DC has the VGA option, there are several inexpensive upscaler or scanline generator options. Still, it would be nice for low res games that don't support VGA like Bangai-O and Gunbird 2.

Can you not connect your DC RGB cables to existing Micomsoft scalers?

Apparently not.

My DC is in my cab, not my main retro setup, so this wouldn't get immediate use from me, but it would be a nice option. I probably need to get around to buying an SLG3000 for the DC (and maybe an SLG HD for PC, PS3 & 360). Are there an US sellers or is it just ArcadeShock.de?

since i currently use DC VGA > powered HDMI converter, i haven't had any issue with Bangi-O and games that i'm told don't support VGA for whatever reason. it'd be nice to free up a plug but i don't really mind actually using one of the HDMI slots on the framemeister, god knows why it has 1 component, 1 RGB and 2 HDMI's anyway

Wait what?

Are you saying that if you convert the signal to HDMI, you no longer have the VGA incompatibility problem? I wonder if that works for me, I have mine hooked up to a VGA to component (not powered, though). Would love to get Last Blade.

IrishNinja

Wait what?

Are you saying that if you convert the signal to HDMI, you no longer have the VGA incompatibility problem? I wonder if that works for me, I have mine hooked up to a VGA to component (not powered, though). Would love to get Last Blade.

yeah...i don't really understand it, either. i know i saw a game or two kick that "VGA not supported" or somesuch message before, and there's nothing magical about this HDMI converter thing that should get around that as far as i know? but even before the upscaler i stopped running into this problem, i don't really know why but i'm grateful!

Beckx

Are all Dreamcast games 480p when output via VGA? Because then I could just get an SLG HD and run everything through a component switch.

Yes Boss!

Well shit. I need that. That is one of my issues with the Mini over the XRGB3.

I've got a ton of ways to DC on VGA but I'd love to use the hardware to upscale one of my DCs to the HDTV (which looks rather poor via VGA input).

IrishNinja

i'm glad you guys are excited, but again, ive had my DC VGA over XRGB for a while now, not sure what exactly is different here, except for saving the $/slot for said converter? personally this might be silly but since i tend to play while drinking (heh) i like not having to remove the SCART adapter from the RGB slot, always worried i'll bend the pins one day haha

Yes Boss!

i'm glad you guys are excited, but again, ive had my DC VGA over XRGB for a while now, not sure what exactly is different here, except for saving the $/slot for said converter? personally this might be silly but since i tend to play while drinking (heh) i like not having to remove the SCART adapter from the RGB slot, always worried i'll bend the pins one day haha

What is your workflow?

Honestly, never considered the mini and DC. Don't have an RGB cable for my DC, have other dedicated options, and VGA on my sammy HDTV is a bit crummy.

I'd like a simple plug-an-play option for the Mini.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So what is the difference between PS1 to Framemeister via RGB to 1080p TV vs. PS3 playing a PS1 game?

I played Chrono Cross once on my PS3 and it looked awful.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So what is the difference between PS1 to Framemeister via RGB to 1080p TV vs. PS3 playing a PS1 game?

Not a huge difference, I don't believe. PSone games on PS3 look kinda like they would through this device. You can turn on scan lines which cleans up the look in some sense, but I wouldn't for that era of game.

I don't think PS1 3D games look bad because of HDTV scaling... They looked bad on SDTVs too. I guess the blur helped a bit. Appreciate them for what they are. (Oh and sprite games look awesome through the mini. Gradius Gaiden <3 )

And actually, Chrono Cross is the one game I don't reccomend for the XRGB.. It switches resolutions when you pause or are on save menu, leading to intolerable delays as the Mini re-syncs. It is one of the only major games to do this on any console.

Soulhouf

Framemeister does the upscaling right whereas PS3 either applies some nasty filters or upscales it as it is resulting to a murky picture with a mediocre quality.

@BocoDragon: PS1 games look clean via Framemeister:
IMG_2271.jpg

I don't have a picture of the game via PS3 but it's awful.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I hear some N64s are easier to mod for RGB than others. I need to pick up a new console (US region) in the near future and want to know what I should be looking for in this respect.

I'll probably be sticking with S-video for a while in any case, but future-proofing doesn't hurt.

So I hear some N64s are easier to mod for RGB than others. I need to pick up a new console (US region) in the near future and want to know what I should be looking for in this respect.

I'll probably be sticking with S-video for a while in any case, but future-proofing doesn't hurt.
This page shows you what to look for. You're not going to be able to tell without opening the system. http://retrorgb.com/n64rgbmod.html

baphomet

Well theyre the same difficulty as far as the actual mod. Cpu 04 outputs composite video as sync and cpu 03 and below output csync. Serials beginning with NS 130 and below will be a cpu 03. Between 132 and 180 will be cpu 04. Unless your setup requires csync then there ahould be no difference.

IrishNinja

Meant your hook-up, pipeline.

ah, right right! its the old see-through VGA box that racketboy used to sell, hooked up to the only VGA to HDMI powered adapter monoprice sells, into the HDMI slot on the XRGB...if i could take pics nearly as well as you, i'd post em cause they look great & so far no games have given me problems!
well, Crazy Taxi 2 has issues with images falling out of the backround but i don't know if that's just my copy or what.

so the only advantage for me that'd come from the VGA into japanese RGB port would be freeing up the AC slot for said adapter, and then maybe selling it back to someone here or on ebay. of course, there'd be one more plus: i currently have to keep switching the audio in on said unti with the red/whites of the GC component cables, as sound of course does not pass through said VGA box. its a minor hassle but it'd be nice to not have to switch things out of the back whenever i wanna play GC stuff, maybe just carefully swapping the SCART adapter for the VGA one would be handy...but then again, i recall having an issue with that VGA cable years back when i had a DLP with the right plug for it, but some games would give a purple tint (?) or something, it's been quite a while...i should experiment!

Rich!

My £3 PS1/2 RGB SCART cable arrived a few days ago. Looks glorious on my CRT:

Love how everything is so sharp and crisp on a CRT. N64, SNES, Mega Drive, GC, PS1. Such a good idea to get a decent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom