• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those with the framemeister...

The cable that you need that runs from the SCART cables into the XRGB Mini, I see that they make 2 different ones. One is a powered cable, the other is non-powered. I am reading about the reason for the powered is for the C-Sync. With the latest firmware is a powered one needed or should the non-powered one be fine?

I have been checking Ebay and today I got lucky and a seller has both cables in-stock for shipping. Not sure if I should get both or just one and want to make sure I order the correct one.

Thanks!
I believe the power is for a sync booster that some older Sega consoles sometimes benefit from. I use a passive and haven't ever had issues.

One more small note, don't forget that if you don't already own component cables for GameCube and PS2, you can also buy d-terminal cables directly for use with the XRGB-Mini, and skip the component to d-term adapter entirely.

I thought I needed a d-terminal adapter cables for the ps2 or Wii regardless. So I can connect directly (with the old cables) without component cables? Thanks for the advice. I just wonder which shop in Japan will be cheapest on the Framemeister :(.

Actually when I think about it I have a backwards compatible Wii so I guess I do not have to worry about a Gamecube solution, or is somehow picture output actually worse when playing gamecube games through the wii?.

Weevilone

storafötter;197660119 said:
I thought I needed a d-terminal adapter cables for the ps2 or Wii regardless. So I can connect directly (with the old cables) without component cables? Thanks for the advice. I just wonder which shop in Japan will be cheapest on the Framemeister :(.

Actually when I think about it I have a backwards compatible Wii so I guess I do not have to worry about a Gamecube solution, or is somehow picture output actually worse when playing gamecube games through the wii?.

Japan uses D-Terminal instead of component, so if you can score those for your console then you can skip the adapter. I don't know if they are available for Wii, but I definitely own them for PS2 and GC. Like someone else mentioned, they aren't likely to save you money but I don't think they cost more than component cables.

Edit: I am not all that familiar with the whole GC/Wii component situation. I guess it's possible that I might be able to use my GC cables on the Wii but it looks like I bought another set for that without even thinking about trying the older ones. It was back when they were available at retail so it wasn't a big deal either way then.

televator

storafötter;197660119 said:

Wii has a fuzzier picture than GC. It's not especially worse when playing GC games though.

Japan uses D-Terminal instead of component, so if you can score those for your console then you can skip the adapter. I don't know if they are available for Wii, but I definitely own them for PS2 and GC. Like someone else mentioned, they aren't likely to save you money but I don't think they cost more than component cables.

Edit: I am not all that familiar with the whole GC/Wii component situation. I guess it's possible that I might be able to use my GC cables on the Wii but it looks like I bought another set for that without even thinking about trying the older ones. It was back when they were available at retail so it wasn't a big deal either way then.

Huh I actually didnt know that since I thought they used simiilar TV cables like the US or Europe. So I should look for D-Terminal cables for my PAL consoles then since it connects directly to the Framemeister. I misunderstood earlier.

One last question is. Like with HDMI it doesnt matter what brand it is does it as long as it works for the console as wires?

Wii has a fuzzier picture than GC. It's not especially worse when playing GC games though.

Interesting to know. I think I will wait until the gamecube gets a good solution. According to that UK retro site that makes Scart cables adapter for the framemeister; the gamecube scart cables dont work with them.

televator

storafötter;197696411 said:
Huh I actually didnt know that since I thought they used simiilar TV cables like the US or Europe. So I should look for D-Terminal cables for my PAL consoles then since it connects directly to the Framemeister. I misunderstood earlier.

One last question is. Like with HDMI it doesnt matter what brand it is does it as long as it works for the console as wires?

Interesting to know. I think I will wait until the gamecube gets a good solution. According to that UK retro site that makes Scart cables adapter for the framemeister, the gamecube scart cables dont work with them.

Scart cable is kind of weak sauce on GC. It's derived from YUY2 (i.e., not RGB), it doesn't work on NTSC consoles (I think you might have the Framemeister info mixed up there), and it doesn't do 480p. There are are solutions on the verge. The GC video HDMI mod and plug-and-play adapter. One or both will also do analog. Not sure if that'll be in the form of VGA or Scart yet, but they should be able to handle 480p all the same.

TheWraith

Just had my SFC Mini modded for augmented rgb through my framemeister. Output colors look absolutely crisp and fantastic, quite amazing. One thing though: Fire Emblem Holy War and Thracia have issues: Holy war's video is shaky when on the main battlefield map with audio cutting out, except is fine on dialogue screens, Thracia is fine on maps but has the same issue on fight screens.

Anyone have a clue?

Scart cable is kind of weak sauce on GC. It's derived from YUY2 (i.e., not RGB), it doesn't work on NTSC consoles (I think you might have the Framemeister info mixed up there), and it doesn't do 480p. There are are solutions on the verge. The GC video HDMI mod and plug-and-play adapter. One or both will also do analog. Not sure if that'll be in the form of VGA or Scart yet, but they should be able to handle 480p all the same.

Yeah I am mixing all the wires up. BocoDragon did already tell me how the Scart cable wont be able to do 480p.

EDIT: Damn I am an idiot, I was mixing up Component with Composite cables. They do look similar barring the extra wires or different colours.

this past week on mySony BVM 20g1u, i had an issue of discoloration on the upper right corner of the screen. brown/green stain most noticeable on white backgrounds.

i tried the degauss button and the color would go away and come back in a few seconds.

i discovered in the alignment menu that if i used the on screen rotation 00-255

(rotate max to the right = 00 and rotating max to the left = value of 255) if i rotate toward the value of 00 the upper right hand corner becomes darker brown. and if i rotate to the other end maximum value of 255 which rotates the screen clockwise the lower right corner becomes dark brown while the right hand corner stain disappears and vice versa. if i but the value is set right in the middle of 00-255=127/8, it eliminates the discoloration of both upper and lower right corners. however the top portion of the screen is slightly crooked.

how i discovered this:
i noticed that if i hit the degauss button while the picture is rotated to the extreme values right or left the picture is auto centered exactly at the value of 127/128 for a few seconds w/ the discoloration disappearing for a few seconds. but once it reverts back to the original extreme angle it was set at, the discoloration returns.

so i decided to set the rotation number to exactly match the angle when the picture auto centers temporary when hitting the degauss button.

as i mentioned above, it took away the discoloration but i'm limited to living with a slight angled top screen (very minimal)

Mega

Banned
That's unfortunate, part of the unpredictable nature of this aging tech. I'm actually surprised because perfect purity and near flawless convergence were a constant when I had that BVM. You can see it on the full screen pics here:

J6QuFNc.jpg

eCm41FW.jpg

Have you tried physically changing which way the monitor faces or its placement in the room (or testing in another room)? The Earth's magnetic field actually interferes with CRTs and these things can help. Also be sure there are no magnets near it which might be screwing up the purity. This includes unshielded speakers and amps.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Decided I want to have my Wii, Xbox, PS2 and PSP all hooked up at the same time without interference and signal loss, and preferably with automatic switching (if that exists). Anybody have a recommendation for a good component switch?

That's unfortunate, part of the unpredictable nature of this aging tech. I'm actually surprised because perfect purity and near flawless convergence were a constant when I had that BVM. You can see it on the full screen pics here:

Have you tried physically changing which way the monitor faces or its placement in the room (or testing in another room)? The Earth's magnetic field actually interferes with CRTs and these things can help. Also be sure there are no magnets near it which might be screwing up the purity. This includes unshielded speakers and amps.

i read about that. i tried moving to different positions on my table but haven't tried moving it to another room. i'll try that. but so far it's a minor issue as i expected geometry wouldn't be perfect on these anyways like my plasma. i've been loving gaming on it. but if any results from moving around i'll post an update.

Man, reading some of the older pages in here... some of you guys don't realize how good you have it when it comes to finding PVMs/BVMs. Out here in Midwestern USA they're super tough to come by. I paid a premium for my entry level PVM on the basis that I'd likely never see another locally for years.

Gunsmithx

Man, reading some of the older pages in here... some of you guys don't realize how good you have it when it comes to finding PVMs/BVMs. Out here in Midwestern USA they're super tough to come by. I paid a premium for my entry level PVM on the basis that I'd likely never see another locally for years.

Same down here in miami, the only thing I've seen is a pvm like 2 hours away for 250... bleh, I'd do horrible things for a nice pvm or 2.

Can I ask about how much you paid? What model/size?

TeaJay

It was $200 for a 20m4u, so 20". The geometry was good and the capacitors were already replaced, so I figured it was worth it. Plus I figured it was my only chance to get one without driving hundreds of miles to Chicago.

That's a hefty price, but that's not really an "entry level" PVM from my own experiences a very high quality one (with 800 vertical lines). I've been very satisfied with my 20M4E (same one but european model).

Chinner

Banned
Took me 2-3 months to find my BVM, and was checking on an almost daily basis.. Sometimes it worth gambling with 'broken' units, as usually it's just the sellers who are unable to test the unit.

If anyone is reading this in Missouri, Arkansas or Oklahoma - I have BVMs for sale. JVC BH-1900SU. I live in SW MO. I'd be willing to drive a bit to meet you halfway but that would also factor into pricing....

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone here made their own Scart/BNC/Genesis cables?
I've been reading up on it and it doesn't seem overly difficult, but it's made me wonder why not just make a straight genesis> BNC cable without the male/female scart connectors in the middle.. I mean its just cable connections, right?

I just bought some bare scart male/female connectors on ebay so I think I will be wiring it that way, but it made me wonder if anyone has done that before.

Mega

Banned
That's a hefty price, but that's not really an "entry level" PVM from my own experiences a very high quality one (with 800 vertical lines). I've been very satisfied with my 20M4E (same one but european model).

Yeah, 20M4 is the top tier PVM of the late 90s. It's not entry level at all. Given the Sony CRT price creep, one could do a lot worse than $200.

Khaz

Has anyone here made their own Scart/BNC/Genesis cables?
I've been reading up on it and it doesn't seem overly difficult, but it's made me wonder why not just make a straight genesis> BNC cable without the male/female scart connectors in the middle.. I mean its just cable connections, right?

I just bought some bare scart male/female connectors on ebay so I think I will be wiring it that way, but it made me wonder if anyone has done that before.

You could just wire it to BNC yeah. I don't know if you can fit the resistor and capacitor in it though?

I hate making cables, especially working with DIN or Scart. I always end up melting the plastic and moving the pins in incompatible ways. Maybe it's just my crappy iron that makes me stay too long on the pin and melting stuff around, but still. PITA.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've been doing some nice usb cables to get my bearings.

Yeah, 20M4 is the top tier PVM of the late 90s. It's not entry level at all. Given the Sony CRT price creep, one could do a lot worse than $200.

Really? Huh. The guy I bought it from said it was a fairly common model. I must have been imagining things.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, I paid $20 for my 29 inch sony pvm at a random, no longer in business thrift shop. Total luck as I only went in there maybe three times total.

Never seen one since as I'd like a backup or two.

missile

Hi folks, got banned again. *shrug*

I will refrain from posting 80 characters limited paragraphs from now on in
here. Just short comments. Anything bigger will be referenced, if anything.

Hey Missile, I have a TV that have a similar problem since forever. Basically, two vertical parallel lines would appear more or less convex, depending on the amount of white in between. When I lower the brightness to the minimum to have a black and white picture, the geometry corrects itself, while the picture itself shrinks to show me overscan all around. Really weird.

This happens on my 21" Sony Trinitron too. On top of that, if I crank up the contrast, the brighter/more garish the image gets, the wider the picture's H-size becomes. ...

Yeah, indeed, it's weird.

A rough explanation is given in here.

AndrewPL

Just moved house and my Sony Trinitron KV-DA32M36 no longer works. The component doesn't display the full picture (vertical sync?).

With S Video/Composite the picture is fine for 10-30 seconds when turned on but then it fades to black and white.

The picture was really nice, just got a s video cable for the snes & n64 to play some of my old games too.

I'm bummed out since getting rid of such a huge TV is going to be a pain and expensive.
I might try and take it apart and have a look if anything obvious is broken but would have no idea how to fix things anyway...

If only getting a PVM wasn't so impossible!

Mega

Banned
Even if I knew how, I personally would not bother with fixing any regular old CRT. The fix is probably a new part that's no longer available and there are likely other worn components inside on their way to failure. For a fraction of the time, effort and cost of repair, you can just go to ebay, CL, a local recycling center or ask friends and pick up several CRTs in better condition than the one that failed. Your CRT needs would be covered for years.

A few of my CRTs are in near perfect condition and were made in the 2000s. I think I'm set for decades. Before they deteriorate, across the board superior screen tech will come along (hopefully) and we will all have moved on.

Really? Huh. The guy I bought it from said it was a fairly common model. I must have been imagining things.

It is a fairly common model but that's a separate thing unrelated to its high end specs and features.

I'm looking to upgrade my HDTV I have connected to the XRGB mini and am leaning towards 720p plasma sets, although for a good price in good condition I would take a 1080p one. I'm still fuzzy on the geometry of those resolutions.
For example the Panasonic TH-50PX60U says that it is 720p, but that it's native resolution is 768 (like a computer monitor). Does this mean there will be a geometry, or bars? What would happen if you connect a 480p source (like the Dreamcast in VGA mode) to that? What happens when you connect 480p to a 1080p TV? Fixed pixel displays have to use all of their dots, unless they have bar on the top or sides, right? One of the reasons I want a 720p plasma rather than 1080 is because that resolution is a multiple of 240, but if the screen really has 768 dots that's not at all a multiple of 240.
If anyone has an explanation for how this works I would be grateful to read it.

Getting closer to being able to share pics of my new setup. In the meantime, here's a few close-ups of images from my JVC BVM. I don't know why I can't get the BB code from Imgur on desktop like I can on mobile, but here's a link to the three images.

The weapon select screen pic is from Rolling Thunder 3, Genesis via RGB. The other two are from Actraiser, 1Chip-01 SNES via s-video. The composite PQ from my AV Famicom looks really, really good on some games -- did that unit have an even better composite signal than the NES? I know an RGB mod would be a great upgrade but this is more than good enough for now...

EDIT:

KC-Slater

I'm looking to upgrade my HDTV I have connected to the XRGB mini and am leaning towards 720p plasma sets, although for a good price in good condition I would take a 1080p one. I'm still fuzzy on the geometry of those resolutions.
For example the Panasonic TH-50PX60U says that it is 720p, but that it's native resolution is 768 (like a computer monitor). Does this mean there will be a geometry, or bars? What would happen if you connect a 480p source (like the Dreamcast in VGA mode) to that? What happens when you connect 480p to a 1080p TV? Fixed pixel displays have to use all of their dots, unless they have bar on the top or sides, right? One of the reasons I want a 720p plasma rather than 1080 is because that resolution is a multiple of 240, but if the screen really has 768 dots that's not at all a multiple of 240.
If anyone has an explanation for how this works I would be grateful to read it.

It would scale the image to the full size of the screen by default, but like many LCDs/Plasmas, there would be different image scaling options you could choose between. ('Native, 'Full', 'Zoom', 'Wide', '4:3', etc.)

I don't own an XRGB, but I would imagine you would set the TV to 'Full' and let the XRGB handle the scaling from the source console. The Plasma is able to handle a 720p signal natively, so it would look fine. For what it's worth, most LCDs and Plasmas have a panel that's 1366x768, and are marketed as '720p'. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dreamcast's 720x480 VGA output resolution looks great on a 720p panel. The overscan that's outputted via VGA, compensates for the horizontal stretch when displaying it in 'Full' on your plasma, displaying a sort of anamorphic widescreen.

Getting closer to being able to share pics of my new setup. In the meantime, here's a few close-ups of images from my JVC BVM. I don't know why I can't get the BB code from Imgur on desktop like I can on mobile, but here's a link to the three images.

The weapon select screen pic is from Rolling Thunder 3, Genesis via RGB. The other two are from Actraiser, 1Chip-01 SNES via s-video. The composite PQ from my AV Famicom looks really, really good on some games -- did that unit have an even better composite signal than the NES? I know an RGB mod would be a great upgrade but this is more than good enough for now...

EDIT:

actraiser looks so good, nice set!

Titan91

Neo Member
Mega how did you get Shovel Knight to run at that resolution/aspect ratio? I've read some threads on this for people who want to play it on a CRT.

Mega

Banned
Mega how did you get Shovel Knight to run at that resolution/aspect ratio? I've read some threads on this for people who want to play it on a CRT.

Installed CRT Emudriver for GoovyMAME use, created a custom res of 400 x 240px. The res is right, but I haven't found a way to control aspect ratio so that it's faithful to the way the games look on a modern HDTV. This is an issue only with PC/Steam games, not Groovy MAME which which perfectly switches res and keeps the right proportions for all games.

On my CRT setup, the vertical resolution takes up the full height of the screen and the 400 is crammed into the monitor's 4:3 screen geometry. I could mess with the geometry and have huge overscan on left and right to fix proportions, but that would crop the gameplay area and is a dumb tradeoff. I'll figure something out. It's not too bad with Shovel Knight and you sort of forget about it. It's a little more noticeable with Freedom Planet's wider 426 x 240 res and Axiom Verge's 480 x 279.

It would scale the image to the full size of the screen by default, but like many LCDs/Plasmas, there would be different image scaling options you could choose between. ('Native, 'Full', 'Zoom', 'Wide', '4:3', etc.)
I apologize for being so daft on this, but I can't figure out how an image sent as 720 dots will be handled. I have noticed that both consumer and professional 720p sets seem to have a resolution of 768 though, like you said, so obviously it must be working somehow. Same thing with 1080p? I dunno, I guess for a couple of hundred dollars on a good condition used one it's worth checking out.

What RGB cable are you using? My official cable has an external PCB which I can only assume is affecting the image somehow - maybe some filtering/boosting etc. A crystal model is almost certainly v1.6 too - I've got a v1.0. Basically, I feel the RGB looks class on my 20M4E!

Sorry for the super duper late reply, but do you know what kind of sync you're using with your Xbox RGB setup?

It is an official RGB cable so I'm going to assume it uses composite video for sync, in case someone plugged it into a non RGB SCART socket.

I've never had a scenario where sync has mattered to produce an image. Although, I did change my Super Famicom AV port so that it uses c-sync with my official GameCube SCART cable instead of c-video just because.

So anyone know what could have happened to a CRT Monitor to display the color red as black or grey? No matter how its adjusted?

i'm so new w/ this crt stuff so don't know much but i had a red screen when swapping my ps2 connectors to genesis on my sony bvm as i accidentally slipped off one of the 75 ohm terminator caps. don't know if it'll help but try reconnecting everything.

Teknoman

Maybe it's an issue with the input

i'm so new w/ this crt stuff so don't know much but i had a red screen when swapping my ps2 connectors to genesis on my sony bvm as i accidentally slipped off one of the 75 ohm terminator caps. don't know if it'll help but try reconnecting everything.

I suppose it could be the input cable...but its a Dell CRT VGA Monitor. Could you even replace the input cable on that?

Getting closer to being able to share pics of my new setup. In the meantime, here's a few close-ups of images from my JVC BVM. I don't know why I can't get the BB code from Imgur on desktop like I can on mobile, but

EDIT:

Is this one of the BVMs you have for sale? Looks amazing. What size screen? How much you selling for? How far from St louis are you? Might be seriously interested in purchasing one. I googled the model # in your post above, couldn't find any info on that monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom