• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baphomet

are sony PVM's more prevalent out by some of you guys? ive a few buddies dying to find one but they just don't seem to turn up here, maybe not looking in the right places though

Ive got 4 stashed away now just in case the others ever die. 2 20"s and 2 14"s. Theres really no reason not to pick them up locally for cheap.

antibolo

Banned
If you want the best image quality for Gamecube games, the best solution is to just use a backwards-compatible Wii with component cables. A PAL Gamecube can do RGB, but you won't get 480p on supported games.

IrishNinja

No. For anything 480p or above, component is superior.

generally yeah, but i don't always agree...again i sided with RGB for PS2; i felt the IQ was generally better & not enough games supported 480p anyway. my GC is component though, xbox i'd have to see side-by-side. antibolo made some good points too!

Ive got 4 stashed away now just in case the others ever die. 2 20"s and 2 14"s. Theres really no reason not to pick them up locally for cheap.

yeah, i saw in the pic you had! i just don't know where to look, these guys have been checking CL to no luck. one suggested maybe hitting up local TV networks but i kinda assume they'd be long gone by now? hospitals too; i worked for a big one out there that's had digital monitors forever now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
With that said! RGB does not support 31kHz, which means it doesn't support 480p or higher resolutions. So if both your console and your output device can use these resolutions, component becomes the better option.
Dreamcast VGA is both RGBHV and 480p/31khz.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
generally yeah, but i don't always agree...again i sided with RGB for PS2; i felt the IQ was generally better & not enough games supported 480p anyway.

I know that on the shmups forum, a few people swear by RGB on the PS2. But it's definitely a compromise. The component signal is pretty noisy, but yeah, it's the only way to get 480p on the games that do support it (read: KOF XI; all day, every day.)

IrishNinja

I know that on the shmups forum, a few people swear by RGB on the PS2. But it's definitely a compromise. The component signal is pretty noisy, but yeah, it's the only way to get 480p on the games that do support it (read: KOF XI; all day, every day.)

that's the thing, i didn't like the noise, and for my library, the list of 480p games is slim.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but do Component -> HDMI converters work good at all? I mean like $30 ones.

is it powered?

antibolo

Banned
My low_budget NES "Super 8" clone I mentioned back on page 29 arrived yesterday. Works great so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

Not going to bother taking screenshots, it uses a Playchoice 10 PPU so it looks the same as any real NES modded with a Playchoice 10 PPU.

Borman

I have a monoprice component to HDMI adapter that works great. But it doesnt (nor should you want one for that price) upscale. Just a simple conversion. Great quality video from it.

Rich!

Sad times. Moved all my stuff into my new room, and the CRT will never ever fit. Sigh.

On the upside, I'm getting a proper baller paycheck on Monday so I'm going to buy a framemeister from Solaris Japan as I now have no rent to pay or bills.

Just ordered a Euro RGB SCART to XRGB cable from videogamingcables.co.uk or whatever. So my setup will be consoles -> SCART multiplug switch ---> XRGB adapter to the xrgb.

Hooray! Nice and cheap.

Beckx

generally yeah, but i don't always agree...again i sided with RGB for PS2; i felt the IQ was generally better & not enough games supported 480p anyway. my GC is component though, xbox i'd have to see side-by-side. antibolo made some good points too!

Yep, depending what type of image quality hits your personal threshold, there are a lot of options and considerations. Like that "modify your $$$$ gamecube component cable" on on RGB. I personally doubt I'd ever see enough difference to warrant buying Gamecube + Component then getting modded over what I'm seeing for the Megaman collections on my Wii/Component setup.

Yes Boss!

Yep, depending what type of image quality hits your personal threshold, there are a lot of options and considerations. Like that "modify your $$$$ gamecube component cable" on on RGB. I personally doubt I'd ever see enough difference to warrant buying Gamecube + Component then getting modded over what I'm seeing for the Megaman collections on my Wii/Component setup.

Yeah, I got a full Cube setup last year but I really doubt I'll be going out to re-buy a component cable (sold mine years ago). Wii and Mini is good enough for me. Plus I've got some wavebirds and that white Gamecube controller released for the Wii. Only reason I probably will play my Cube is for the GBA Player.

Rich!

Getting a component cable for the GC is now not really an issue for myself now that I can play GC titles via a Wii U with a beautiful digital output, and GC pad support.

Quick Framemesiter question.

How do I enable scanlines without going into "framemesiter" display set? I find that mode to be too dark and it makes two black lines show up.

Yes Boss!

Quick Framemesiter question.

How do I enable scanlines without going into "framemesiter" display set? I find that mode to be too dark and it makes two black lines show up.

Are you in 720p? That is where the scanlines look better. The 1080p scanlines are borked. There us also a scanline button on the remote

Are you in 720p? That is where the scanlines look better. The 1080p scanlines are borked. There us also a scanline button on the remote

In 720p, looks OK, just was recommended by the maker of the Omega to make sure I manually turn those on.

From this image, I don't see that button.

framemeister_remote02.jpg

Yes Boss!

Going from memory,

But it is the one directly across from the Menu button...the same position but on the left side (under the left navigation arrow).

Beckx

Also if Meister mode is the only way you get scanlines, update your firmware. Later versions allow you to use scanlines in all modes.

And get an English language sticker for the remote from eBay. I'll post a pic in a minute.

Here's the image.

ibtExbLJAHSZXT.jpg

And here's a link to where to get them on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231052088477

You guys were right (can't believe I had that turned off the last few months after I updated the firmware...), is it normal to have a few thicker lines?

Seems to only show on the Omega, not the PC Engine Duo R, Genesis, or SNES.

IrishNinja

can't recommend that english overlay enough, there's a guy on the SHMUPs forums who sells them for less than $10 i wanna say?

i don't notice separate thicker lines on any of my systems, i'm personally only seeing a bit of jutter when vertical scrolling over white images, which im starting to think might be my TV's internal scaler. still, you can adjust the thickness of the lines within the options (visual set? i forget), try that and see if it helps.

can't recommend that english overlay enough, there's a guy on the SHMUPs forums who sells them for less than $10 i wanna say?

i don't notice separate thicker lines on any of my systems, i'm personally only seeing a bit of jutter when vertical scrolling over white images, which im starting to think might be my TV's internal scaler. still, you can adjust the thickness of the lines within the options (visual set? i forget), try that and see if it helps.
I've been lurking that forum FOREVER, but I'm not going to lie... I just registered and posted in that topic to save a dollar over the eBay link (it's the same guy in both places). Yep.

IrishNinja

I've been lurking that forum FOREVER, but I'm not going to lie... I just registered and posted in that topic to save a dollar over the eBay link (it's the same guy in both places). Yep.

haha...a savings is a savings!
the best part was mine came in while i was waiting on Solairs to replace my then-dead remote, i just had that overlay mocking me for months.

If I'm thinking about picking up a sony pvm, and currently run all my consoles via s-video, is that a good idea? Currently my saturn, modded genesis and snes are hooked up to my giant tv in the basement.

baphomet

If I'm thinking about picking up a sony pvm, and currently run all my consoles via s-video, is that a good idea? Currently my saturn, modded genesis and snes are hooked up to my giant tv in the basement.

Getting a pvm is always a good idea. Youll probably end up spending money for rgb cables, but its definitely worth it. How much are they asking for the pvm and what size?

antibolo

Banned
Yeah you have to be careful with the 14 inch PVMs, some of them don't have RGB, which kinda defeats the point of owning a PVM in the first place. They're not completely worthless since they do have really high quality S-video, but you might as well wait for a better model to pop up, especially if they're asking as much as $75, which is not a good deal anyway.

Rich!

So, I got paid today. £2k for a first paycheck, which is lovely - especially now I have no debt or bills (apart from car, phone, etc). And considering my CRT cannot fit in my new room....

welp

Your Order Contains...
Cart Items Qty Item Price Item Total
XRGB-mini Framemeister Compact Up Scaler Unit
1 ¥35,640 JPY ¥35,640 JPY
Subtotal: ¥35,640 JPY
Shipping: ¥2,085 JPY
Grand Total: ¥37,725 JPY

That's £230, including shipping...which is far less than the £263 that was quoted by Solarisjapan - guess their currency conversion is fucked. Already got this cable to hook up my scart multiplug/switcher:

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...ni-adapter--euroscart-with-sync-stripper.html

hopefully it won't take long. I've wall mounted my TV, and haven't hooked up a SCART to it, so my retro consoles are going unused right now. This XRGB had better be as good as people say it is!

Shining

You guys were right (can't believe I had that turned off the last few months after I updated the firmware...), is it normal to have a few thicker lines?

Hm, if it's only the Omega.. i dunno. First thing to do is to make sure your TV is set to 1:1 pixelmapping/native display mode. If you are using any kind of zoom mode on your TV the scanlines will be corrupted. Next make sure the Framemeister is set to either Standard or Normal 2 zoom mode (if output is set to 720p). Also, if you've been fiddling with the V_width setting that will also corrupt the scanlines.

Rich!

Do you guys know how long it takes for Solaris Japan to ship to the UK? I selected standard Air Mail, which has an estimate of 2-5 days apparently, but my history of buying goods from Japan kinda sway me away from believing estimates.

Also, right now the status is "awaiting fullfilment". What does that mean?

I know this all sounds silly, but the reason I'm so eager to get the xrgb sooner rather than later is not only because my Mega Drive, PS1, SNES and N64 are sitting here unable to be played, but also I selected the wrong address (home address instead of my parents' cafe, which means if it gets here late next week no one will be at home...)

Regardless, which games should I try out first on the XRGB for best effect, considering I'm no stranger to RGB? I'm thinking Mario 64, Sonic3&K, Castlevania: SOTN and Seiken Densetsu 3. That should show the best of each console. All I want is for this to be a decent replacement for my CRT, at that price it had better be. It's my gaming budget for two months!

Edit:

Disregard the above, it's been shipped. Wahaaaaay!

plc268

That's me, actually. If anyone wants one and doesn't want to go through ebay, feel free to PM me through here as well. I sell them for a buck cheaper off ebay (because of fees). Most people prefer to go through ebay though, which is fine by me either way.

12180129556_50e3c8659d_z.jpg

Beckx

That's me, actually. If anyone wants one and doesn't want to go through ebay, feel free to PM me through here as well. I sell them for a buck cheaper off ebay (because of fees). Most people prefer to go through ebay though, which is fine by me either way.

You are good people! This sticker made life with Framemeister so nice.

Xtyle

got my xrgb mini today. Tried PS2 with it. At first it the screen was showing a green tint and I didn't know what to do to change that until I tired setting the PS2 to use RGB color and that took care of it.

Only played FFVII. Looked real good with the scanline and stuff. Haven't played with many options yet. Does anyone know a good setting for PS2 to use on a 1080p TV? I have the HDMI output set to 720p.

still wating for my euro scart xrgb cable before I can try all my other systems (my PS2 is the only system I have a Japan scart cable for). Going to send my turbo duo for an rgb mod and stuff.

This is glorious!

It looked like you fixed this in the video. What exactly did you change?

Rich!

I want to get a English remote cover for the XRGB but that seems to be kinda tricky in the UK.

£6 on eBay is far too much for a bloody sticker.

Xtyle

I need a d terminal to component adapter. Anyone know a good place to buy it? I am in the U.S

I know SOLARIS has it but it takes so long to ship it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom