• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Miracle

BLM protests, the women's march, airport protests, and march for science say otherwise. Cynicism gets us nowhere.

None of those protests did shit. It was about as effective as a typical Facebook post.

Sadly, we don't have today's version of Martin Luther King, JFK, etc.

Why do people think this will cause Republicans to lose seats? This is why people voted for them to begin with.

Yea. No republican or republican leaning voter is going to stay home because of this. This is what they wanted.

I just hope this wakes centrist, apathetic and younger voters up and gets them in the polls in 18 and 20.

Toxi

Banned
The majority of House Republicans just voted to destroy healthcare for many Americans, a massively unpopular idea that scares the shit out of me. Every single House Democrat voted against.

But let's talk about singing

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why are people more irritated by what the Dems are doing as opposed to what the Republicans have done?

Have we not established who the real enemy is or are we still too busy tearing down our own allies?

We can focus on more than one thing. We can be more mad at conservatives for passing this, AND still think it feels kinda classless.

It doesn't have to be an either or situation.

kirblar

C-YqosgUIAAfHxC.jpg:large

People 50 or under were born in 1967 at the earliest. Your praised "fighters of the '60s and '70s" don't actually exist. (In numbers large enough to do anything) They're the generations holding us back.
Also, my boss keeps saying this bill isn't bad because they added funding for pre-existing conditions. What is she referencing?
Fake News.

ultron87

Also, my boss keeps saying this bill isn't bad because they added funding for pre-existing conditions. What is she referencing?

Presumably the "Upton Amendment" which added 8 billion in funds for this purpose. It does exist as part of the bill, but by all accounts is a drop in the bucket for the funding that it would actually require to properly support those people.

Someone said they only need 50 votes. I don't know wtf anymore.

From CNBC:

GOP leaders are trying to kill and replace several major parts of Obamacare through the process known as budget reconciliation.

If the Senate parliamentarian agrees that the bill qualifies for that process because it is budget-specific, Republicans would need just 50 votes in the Senate, where they hold 52 seats, to pass the proposal.

But four GOP senators have already expressed opposition to the idea of rolling back gains made in Medicaid coverage under Obamacare, as the new GOP bill could well do. Other Republicans have objected to the bill's use of refundable tax credits to subsidize the purchase of private individual health insurance plans, while other GOP members opposed the defunding of Planned Parenthood in the bill.

If the parliamentarian does not agree that bill can be passed through reconciliation, Republicans would need 60 senators to vote for the bill. That would likely be an impossible hurdle, given how firmly Democrats are opposed to it.

It all comes down to whether or not they can use budget reconciliation or not.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Who cares if the Dems aren't being classy right now? FUCK YOUR PURITY TESTS!
This is war!

Unison

Worst comes to worst, states have to apply for this right? So I could move to Cali and be all right?

Wrong.

There's a loophole by which insurers can adopt the standards of any state where they offer coverage, even to customers in other states.

One state adopts the minimum and every state is fucked.

I suspect this might be the basis for a legal challenge, but that's way down the line.

Kthulhu

None of those protests did shit. It was about as effective as a typical Facebook post.

Sadly, we don't have today's version of Martin Luther King, JFK, etc.

What do you expect people to do? The people in power are ignoring them and have been for years.

Why do people think this will cause Republicans to lose seats? This is why people voted for them to begin with.

Well, the mental calculus of their voters wasn't just "Repeal Obamacare". It was "Repeal Obamacare because it's bad and replace it with something better." The problem is the "something better", isn't. And there's no one else to really blame for it, when you control every branch of government.

We can focus on more than one thing. We can be more mad at conservatives for passing this, AND still think it feels kinda classless.

It doesn't have to be an either or situation.
How should they react?

Give the GOP their 'moment' to 'relish' their 'victory'?

I'm scratching my head here.

Presumably the "Upton Amendment" which added 8 billion in funds for this purpose. It does exist as part of the bill, but by all accounts is a drop in the bucket for the funding that it would actually require to properly support those people.
An increase of 8 billion dollars to the money for preexisting conditions. Which is a single digit percentage increase on what was originally proposed.

So...
Have there been any estimates on what would actually be needed?

Sean C

No, as the subsequent debate over the AHCA has made clear, people voted for the GOP's unicorn healthcare proposal, i.e., the one that would offer "something great for everyone", in Trump's words.

Once the GOP had to actually produce this proposal, the magnitude of their deceit became apparent. The GOP's policies do the exact opposite of what their rhetoric called for.

So let's say this does get through the Senate

Is that just fucking it then? If we ever want decent healthcare, are we going to have to start from square one like the ACA never happened? And go through the same bullshit Obama did to even have to force Democrats to get on board with it?

I am so pissed off right now

Wallach

Controversial bills get their voting planned out in advance so that ppl in vulnerable seats can pretend they don't support unpopular things

Yeah. And the one that took the big fall on this one is Issa.

Hope that paycheck was worth it you cunt, because your shit has an expiration date now.

louiedog

Well, the mental calculus of their voters wasn't just "Repeal Obamacare". It was "Repeal Obamacare because it's bad and replace it with something better." The problem is the "something better", isn't. And there's no one to really blame for it, when you control every branch of government.

Plus the one thing all of these voters seemed to recognize that was good, and what Trump promised he wouldn't get rid of, was the pre-existing condition stuff. Now it's gone.

Alucrid

Banned

it was 8 billion towards the high risk pool. except the high risk pool doesn't cover everyone with preexisting conditions and that the additional funding still wouldn't be anywhere near adequate for the people in them.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I'm completely disillusioned with this fucking country. I'm sure this thing will pass the Senate with little (if any) changes and be signed into law. I feel like I'm watching a movie where the bad guy keeps winning.

This is delusional. You think some occurrence on the House floor will be remembered more than things immediately impacting people's households?

I think right-wing media will literally latch onto the tiniest scrap of non-information to poison the mind's of their viewership, yes.

Top Bottom