• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

I'm glad the Democrats think that allowing people to die is a political win for them.
They don't think that. They think (right or wrong) that this is going to die in the senate, or be sent back completely changed to the house. They think it was political suicide for GOP members to vote for a bill that it is widely hated *that they don't believe is going to pass*.

That last part is key. They don't think it'll pass, so they don't think anyone is 'allowing people to die'.

Lesath

heart to heart if you're concerned with """"""class"""""" over a bill where rape victims have to pay more to stay alive you're a shitheel

Yeah, this is a farce. One party voted to threaten the health and wealth of millions, and the other voted against. Democrats could literally start flinging actual shit at Republicans and it wouldn't measure up to what the Republicans just did.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
woot woot! Both Parties the same! Lesser of two evils! Neo Dems are no different than GOP etc etc etc

Please burn the image of these assholes laughing while hurting people in you head and vote Democrat next time instead staying home.

Of course the headline on CNN
"At last a vicotry for trump"

not

House passes a horrible bill that will hurt millions.

sphagnum

Banned
So let's say this does get through the Senate

Is that just fucking it then? If we ever want decent healthcare, are we going to have to start from square one like the ACA never happened? And go through the same bullshit Obama did to even have to force Democrats to get on board with it?

I am so pissed off right now

The party is more solidly behind a public option now. If they could get power it would be relatively "easy" to settle on a bill to pass.

So let's say this does get through the Senate

Is that just fucking it then? If we ever want decent healthcare, are we going to have to start from square one like the ACA never happened? And go through the same bullshit Obama did to even have to force Democrats to get on board with it?

I am so pissed off right now

Or become a citizen of another country, because it will probably take that long to walk all this back if perchance this does get through the Senate without major revisions.

Boke1879

Any links or pages about organizing protests or where the next one is?

This is literally issue number 1 right now and we gotta hammer it home.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well, the mental calculus of their voters wasn't just "Repeal Obamacare". It was "Repeal Obamacare because it's bad and replace it with something better." The problem is the "something better", isn't. And there's no one else to really blame for it, when you control every branch of government.

Right, they voted for a fantasy plan. It will all come crashing down when confronted with the reality of it. This bill polls in the teens. People know it's bad.

Also, fuck being mad at anything the Dems do. I don't have the energy for it. Too busy being mad at the worms in the GOP.

hey I get to use this gif sooner than I thought

giphy.gif

None of those protests did shit. It was about as effective as a typical Facebook post.

Sadly, we don't have today's version of Martin Luther King, JFK, etc.

You haven't been paying attention at all. Judges take public opinion into account when making decisions. The airport protests factored into judges' decisions to oppose the travel ban EOs as quickly and decisively as they did. BLM protests contributed to the adoption of body cams in local police departments.

Snaku

Banned
I'm glad the Democrats think that allowing people to die is a political win for them.

What would you have them do? They all voted against it. There's literally no other legal recourse for them at this stage. They're not allowing anyone to die. The Republicans are going to murder people.

Loxley

Stop getting depressed and start getting angry and organized

Jesus you bunch of defeatists

AN3eBmW.gif

Buncha' Chicken Littles around here.

Why do people think this will cause Republicans to lose seats? This is why people voted for them to begin with.

They were elected into office to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something better. This is a demonstrably worse piece of partisan legislation that was a clear rush-job by the GOP for no other reason than to dismantle Obama's legacy and give Trump a win. Nobody benefits from this piece of garbage being passed and practically every major medical organization in the country has publicly come out against it.

Chris R

I bet this passes the Senate with little resistance now that the House has passed it. Might even let one or two Rs vote against it to keep a little face in their home states.

I think right-wing media will literally latch onto the tiniest scrap of non-information to poison the mind's of their viewership, yes.

How?

To do that you have to acknowledge that the bill the GOP voted for is going to kill people should it get signed into law.

"Democrats seem excited that the GOP's law which will kill people might give them some wins in 2018. Those Dems eh? Celebrating that we're going to kill people and that voters won't like that. Don't they care about all the people we're going to kill? And the families of the people we're going to kill? Those uncaring Democrats."

I just don't see how you thread that needle.

oti

Banned
The message here is that the first bill wasn't evil enough for the GOP.

Yo, I don't live in the US, don't know anyone living there, but that's really fucked up.

Well I hope my mother enjoys losing her healthcare and suffering through a painful degenerative muscle disease because thats what's likely to happen now.

Well, the mental calculus of their voters wasn't just "Repeal Obamacare". It was "Repeal Obamacare because it's bad and replace it with something better." The problem is the "something better", isn't. And there's no one else to really blame for it, when you control every branch of government.

They don't have the votes to actually repeal Obamacare without nuking legislation.

Boke1879

Dems didn't allot a damn thing. They voted no for this. Everyone was saying this shouldn't pass.

Of course this is a political win. EVERYONE knew this.

Y'all get mad over some crazy shit that doesn't matter. GOP just voted for a sick bill and are about to celebrate and drink beer.

Dems tainted the GOP and y'all crying over that. Jesus Christ

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So 24 million are about to lose coverage now?

If it passes the Senate, that will probably happen starting in 2020. Other fuckery in this bill is probably somewhat more immediate.

The makeup of the federal government might look a lot different after the 2020 elections. If the Democrats control both branches again, I kinda expect some kind of UHC to be implemented pretty quickly.

Curufinwe

Because anything the Dems do between now and November 2018 that can be twisted against them is probably a shit decision. Uninformed, uneducated voters (like the one's who got Trump and the GOP into this position to begin with) aren't going to remember or even bother to understand the actual situation of why their healthcare sucks now, but they'll remember 'elitist' Dems condescendingly singing a song about it.

What a bunch of fucking nonsense.

Xe4

Banned
The CBO needs to put out numbers ASAP. Before this goes through the Senate, people need to know that tens of millions will be loosing healthcare.

Top Bottom