• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
America should abdicate their slam to China. It's the only way to recover from this shame.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
thiem is such a braindead player. del potro can't properly put spin on the ball, so.... thiem hits him giant loopy shots that bounce up to shoulder height that delpo can take out of the air. he'll be world no.5 after this match, which is shameful. i mean, it's not like it matters anyway since delpo is a dead man walking, but at least do it quickly and get it over and done with.

tennis is dead.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
How is it the US Open's fault that almost every star player is injured?

too late in the year. with courts as slow as they are it's no wonder players would be broken. was only a matter of time before the injuries stacked up during a single year, and this blue clay is certainly not helping.

oti

Banned
No.

The US had three women playing in the 4th round going into today with another already in the quarterfinals.

It's the MEN who need to step up their game.

All the women are like "we don't want to win this shit tournament" and the US ladies are like "this is our chance, the time for mediocrity to shine has come at last!".

too late in the year. with courts as slow as they are it's no wonder players would be broken. was only a matter of time before the injuries stacked up during a single year, and this blue clay is certainly not helping.

I'm fine with moving the US Open to April. There may be some cold tennis days though in New York. And the US Open will probably always be in New York since so much money has been put into Arthur Ashe Stadium, which is the largest tennis-only venue in the world.

All the women are like "we don't want to win this shit tournament" and the US ladies are like "this is our chance, the time for mediocrity to shine has come at last!".

Your false narratives are getting face-palm worthy

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with moving the US Open to April. There may be some cold tennis days though in New York. And the US Open will probably always be in New York since so much money has been put into Arthur Ashe Stadium, which is the largest tennis-only venue in the world.

The Arthur Ashe is terrible, though. It's too large. The upper seats are appalling, you're actually better off watching on a TV than purchasing tickets. It's like the ultimate testament to the American ethos of 'bigger is better' even when bigger is so obviously not better.

Goffin was very clearly struggling with injury (leg) against Rublev, if you didn't watch it. Wasn't pushing up for his serves at all so he could hardly get any wide 1st serves in and his 2nd was snail's pace (I mean, slower than most women's with a bit more spin; Rublev was teeing off all through the third set).

Federer and Nadal have to meet and play a glorious match to save this slam.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Slams Ranking 2017

Australian Open > Wimbledon > French Open >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> US Open

Wimbledon/AO order is debatable, and there's a >> between those two and the French, but otherwise... yes.

Goffin was very clearly struggling with injury (leg) against Rublev, if you didn't watch it. Wasn't pushing up for his serves at all so he could hardly get any wide 1st serves in and his 2nd was snail's pace (I mean, slower than most women's with a bit more spin; Rublev was teeing off all through the third set).

Federer and Nadal have to meet and play a glorious match to save this slam.

I think Rublev is the youngest slam quarterfinalist since Tomic, on the mens side

oti

Banned
Your false narratives are getting face-palm worthy
My bad jokes about the US Open are more entertaining than the US Open. The US commentators congratulating each other for all the mediocre US women (except Venus of course) reaching so far into the tournament perfectly encapsulates the quality of this slam.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I like watching Thiem. Fed Vs Thiem would be a great match.

No. Thiem is too tennis-stupid to make that entertaining. It would be a very dull 6-4 6-2 6-4 dismissal given Federer's 2017 form.

I mean, he's actually letting Del Potro back into this match because in two and a bit sets, he's not figured out how to flatten any of his shots.

Thiem aint tennis dumb. The conditions changed and that is enabling Del Potro to play better. It became evening. Slower, less bite to the spin. Thiem shots far less effectual, just sitting up a bit more and easier for Del Potro to time. Del Potro always pretends he is injured when he is playing like ass.

oti

Banned
Thiem aint tennis dumb. The conditions changed and that is enabling Del Potro to play better. It became evening. Slower, less bite to the spin. Thiem shots far less effectual, just sitting up a bit more and easier for Del Potro to time. Del Potro always pretends he is injured when he is playing like ass.
I think there's something to be said about Thiem not being the smartest or most efficient player when it comes to shot selection and placement. It seems like he wastes a lot of energy on the court. He's got the shots, no question about that.

I think there's something to be said about Thiem not being the smartest or most efficient player when it comes to shot selection and placement. It seems like he wastes a lot of energy on the court. He's got the shots, no question about that.

He's a clay court player. He likes to planet his feet and hit it with a ton of spin. He's getting better and better on hardcourt. Hardcourt players don't tend to plant their feet or hit it with so much spin.

I think he's a very good player. But just like Nadal he's a lot less effective at night on these courts. These conditions now suit Del Potro very well. Thiem likes it very reactive to spin. At the moment it's just sitting up nicely for Del Potro to smack. Thiem also needs to hit it harder for the same results so he's starting to make mistakes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's sitting up nicely for Del Potro because Thiem is applying so much spin to it. He keeps looping every shot so it comes up to shoulder-height. If he were to flatten it out, he would have won by now, Del Potro is struggling to return anything he has to take before shoulder-height. Thiem definitely has the shots, but I don't see how you can possibly deny he has low tennis-IQ for a player of his rank. He is what Federer fans caricture Nadal as - hit loopy topspin to backhand, draw forehand, repeat. He either can't or won't mix it up.

Those same shots were kicking Del Potros ass in the first two sets when the sun was out. That's how he plays, he hits it with a lot of spin. He can flatten it a little, or hit certain shots more flat, but no player just completely changes their grip or style.

Thats like saying Del Potro needed to start playing with more spin and swing in the first two sets. He can't. That's not his game. Doesn't mean either of their tennis IQs is low.

I actually think Thiem has a high tennis IQ. He's incredibly consistent, which is pretty much the main mark of a good tennis IQ.

We had one freak year with injuries, so we should move grandslams that have been played at the same time for decades to another time of the year. Maybe we should move Wimbledon to February as a lot of players got injured or retired there this year

Or how about let's have the first four slams in the first four months and then end the season. Let's forget the other tournaments. They don't matter. Forget the clay court events in April, let's just put the US open there.

Maybe the players especially older players should schedule their tournaments better.

We also need to take circumstances into consideration. Djokovic and Murray have played consistently with little break for over 10 years. Was bound to catch up. Wawrinka missed his first grand slam ever in 11 years. Nishikori would have retired anyway. Raonic has had injuries since Australia.

But yeah let's just change the schedule due to freak circumstances.

We had one freak year with injuries, so we should move grandslams that have been played at the same time for decades to another time of the year. Maybe we should move Wimbledon to February as a lot of players got injured or retired there this year

Or how about let's have the first four slams in the first four months and then end the season. Let's forget the other tournaments. They don't matter. Forget the clay court events in April, let's just put the US open there.

Maybe the players especially older players should schedule their tournaments better.

We also need to take circumstances into consideration. Djokovic and Murray have played consistently with little break for over 10 years. Was bound to catch up. Wawrinka missed his first grand slam ever in 11 years. Nishikori would have retired anyway. Raonic has had injuries since Australia.

But yeah let's just change the schedule due to freak circumstances.

Personally, I'd love to see tennis on snowy grass courts.

WatchESPN is so incredibly shit. Not sure if it's the redesign or the likely uptick in traffic since they started promoting it more (or both), but the service worked so much better back when it was ESPN3.

clemenx

Banned
Delpo toying with us all.

And I agree with sami. The schedule has been fine forever. The only change id want is shorten clay season to add a grass masters.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You can tell Trump hasn't built the wall yet because the entire population of Argentina appears to have moved to New York.

Top Bottom