• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Delpo to win the tournament now plz, thank you.

Wawrinka has 3 slams, Delpo should have more than 1.

Will he have anything left to beat Fed?

He didn't look like he had anything today.

He has very good stamina for a big man. Just as we seen in the Davis cup and olympics last year.

The bad news for him is that Federer seems to be getting better. He might have had a chance if the Federer that turned up for the first two games of the tournament showed up.

oti

Banned
He didn't look like he had anything today.

He has very good stamina for a big man. Just as we seen in the Davis cup and olympics last year.

The bad news for him is that Federer seems to be getting better. He might have had a chance if the Federer that turned up for the first two games of the tournament showed up.

Federer isn't Thiem.

Kohli has to be one of the top chokers on tour, so I wouldn't worry about Federer. It's a real shame, too, since Kohli has a nice game, but there you go.

Of Thiem's last 4 losses, he held match point in three of them (vs. JMDP, vs. Schwartzman, vs. Anderson). He's gotta be catching up to Kohli's chokeability.

And Del Potro is a legend. I don't know how he came back from being lucky to win 3 games of the first 15. His strength of will is immense. And so's his forehand.

The Arthur Ashe is terrible, though. It's too large. The upper seats are appalling, you're actually better off watching on a TV than purchasing tickets. It's like the ultimate testament to the American ethos of 'bigger is better' even when bigger is so obviously not better.

The only thing that isn't a joke about Arthur Ashe Stadium is its namesake.

Slams Ranking 2017

Australian Open > Wimbledon > French Open >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> US Open

Wimbledon/AO order is debatable, and there's a >> between those two and the French, but otherwise... yes.

The Championships at Wimbledon (to be said in Sean Connery's or Patrick Stewart's voice) gets the nod no question. Classic Shakespearean Grass Court. All white uniform policy. That wall where they post a labels of Champions names is the best tradition this side of the Stanley Cup. The yard where fans can hang out. The All England Club has prestige through the roof. IIRC they were the first in line to women equal to men, a campaign led by Venus Williams.

My bad jokes about the US Open are more entertaining than the US Open. The US commentators congratulating each other for all the mediocre US women (except Venus of course) reaching so far into the tournament perfectly encapsulates the quality of this slam.

Navarro, the woman who Venus had to be in three sets, has a one-handed backhand. That's not mediocre, but TUFF!!!

The Championships at Wimbledon (to be said in Sean Connery's or Patrick Stewart's voice) gets the nod no question. Classic Shakespearean Grass Court. All white uniform policy. That wall where they post a labels of Champions names is the best tradition this side of the Stanley Cup. The yard where fans can hang out. The All England Club has prestige through the roof. IIRC they were the first in line to women equal to men, a campaign led by Venus Williams.

No lights outside of centre court, so matches get suspended to darkness. 11pm curfew. Grass courts get divots in them that injure the players. Wimbledon is far from perfect. I would easily put the AO ahead of Wimbledon. Just because there's "tradition" doesn't make it better imo. Modernize or gtfo

FrigidEh

I watched the entire Del Potro - Thiem match and it doesn't make sense.
I don't know what kind of sacrifice Argentina made for Del Potro to win this match but I hope they can't do it again for Federer.

wmlk

Del Potro's slice has always been terrible...it nearly cost him the match today.

Also, it blows my mind on the regular that Nadal and Federer are the best players right now. Especially since we had written them off for several years after they couldn't do much in the majors. Now it's like things are back to the way they're meant to be.

Choke-olina was up a late break in the third but Keys broke back and then broke her again to win the match.

4 out of 8 quarterfinalists on the womens side are USA. Pretty decent.

clemenx

Banned
Keys either never misses while bashing or can't hit 2 in a row without an UE.

She turned into the good version just in time.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Choke-olina was up a late break in the third but Keys broke back and then broke her again to win the match.

More specifically, there's one in each quarterfinal match-up.

Ricker

Yep..and Svitolina just lost her first serve after leading 4-2 it seems...Nice win for Keys.

No lights outside of centre court, so matches get suspended to darkness. 11pm curfew. Grass courts get divots in them that injure the players. Wimbledon is far from perfect. I would easily put the AO ahead of Wimbledon. Just because there's "tradition" doesn't make it better imo. Modernize or gtfo

Matches getting suspended because of darkness is better than rain delays that push matches into the midnight hour, then asking those players to come back and play at their regularly scheduled time the next day.

In the AO, the career of Kuznetsova changed trajectory when they closed the roof due to heat during a changeover. Serena came back and that was the end.

If you want to complain about the grass court, may as well eliminate Roland-Garros altogether!

Yo whoever said the WTA was mediocre should STFU after that Keys/Svitolina match. Keys was almost Williams-like in her fight back in the 3rd set.

Edit 2: Four Americans in the quarterfinals!

Matches getting suspended because of darkness is better than rain delays that push matches into the midnight hour, then asking those players to come back and play at their regularly scheduled time the next day.

If you want to complain about the grass court, may as well eliminate Roland-Garros altogether!

Yo whoever said the WTA was mediocre should STFU after that Keys/Svitolina match. Keys was almost Williams-like in her fight back in the 3rd set.

The French Open is the worst slam. I think even most of tennis GAF would agree*

*except for this year since they seem to blame the US Open for all the injuries/withdrawls before the tournament.

oti

Banned
What's with GAF giving their energies to nobodies no one cares about.
Kolhschreiber isn't a nobody. And people can be rooting for whomever they want.
The only thing that isn't a joke about Arthur Ashe Stadium is its namesake.

Navarro, the woman who Venus had to be in three sets, has a one-handed backhand. That's not mediocre, but TUFF!!!
I don't really care about Wimbledon's tradition.

The French is my favourite GS. Its surface makes it unique, but the French Tennis Association is a joke. They desperately need to modernise the courts.

What I dislike about the US Open is its "Americaness". Arthur Ashe might be one of the worst courts the world has ever seen. Everything must be huge, bombastic, lowd, the crowd can be terrible (not as terrible as the French, though). The culture clash of American Football Show and Tennis can be fascinating, it can also just be tiring.

I didn't say the WTA was mediocre. But Keys, Coco and Stephens? I'd call them mediocre. Not Venus. She's anything but mediocre.

But yes, these US Open have been awful all around. We thought the French Open would ne the worst GS based on match quality but my god, New York wins by a mile. This has been ATP 250 level. WTA is just WTA. Completely unpredictable. Seeing Kvitova win would be great. Or Coco, for the lolz.

Slaythe

I mean, the french open at least as some surprises and fun plays.

The US Open has just been abysmal and pathetic.

Fedal save us.

Del po Fed could be fun if it's not "unforced errors 3 : electric boogaloo".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is the clear winner for 'worst slam of the last 10 years' in terms of level of play and quality of tennis. I can't think of many competitors. We're definitely starting that transitional period, like the very early '00s. New players breaking through can sometimes be an ugly thing.

Top Bottom