• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

RpgN

Psychotext said:
Thanks. That's a bit of a shame really... I was hoping it was more involved than that (credit for keeping your team alive, stealth kills etc).

Ace kills with persons and tanks does get you a rewards and more EXP/Cash. They could have indeed done more with rank requirements.

RpgN

Psychotext said:
So is it better to go after the exp etc than the rank?

If you have to choose, rank would bring you much more cash and EXP. Items obtained from aces won't be that helpful except during Rosie's mission and another one. But you can certainly achieve both at the same time.

I would say go for the weapons when doing chapter battles because those weapons are stronger then those you get from the queen as reward. But if you go for a lot of EXP then only getting a A rank isnt enough, you also have to kill the leader enemies. Because only getting the highest rank doesnt give you the most EXP, killing the leaders gives you a bigger bonus. When having a B-C rank and killed al the leaders will grand you more EXP then getting a A rank without killing all the leaders. Same with destroying tanks for example. Having a A rank is nice, but getting more EXP is better if you ask me.

When doing a chapter battle there are enemies (foot soldiers or tanks) with different names. They are stronger then the other enemy soldiers you will face during the battle, but killing them will reward you with the weapon the carried after completing the battle. (sorry for my crappy english)

finished the game. it was way too easy imo, but other than that im not able to complain much. perfect visuals, music, lenght etc and one of the top 5 HD games to date.

please make another one sega!

whats in the DLC? im not a big fan of DLC, but if its fairly priced i might bite. i dont want to be ripped off though.

Owensboro

So, I spent all weekend playing this game.

Firstly, I absolutely LOVE the combat in this game. I never thought I would see the day where I preferred anything over a grid-based-system in a SRPG, but this game has it beaten hands down. The difference between moving units around a grid and actually zooming down over the shoulder of a unit is astounding really. I find myself being much more engaged when charging an enemy encampment or trying to tiptoe through trenches to explore. Also, I really do love the attention that minor / sub characters got in this game. Their little sayings coupled with what you learn through their bios really make them more then just "units" or bullet-sponges. I still insist on using Ted in every battle if only to hear him say "I'll knock em dead!" every time you choose him, and even laugh a little when he dies ("Everyones....a....critic...")(I try to keep that from happening BTW). I find myself choosing characters just to hear what they are going to say sometimes when they move or proc potentials (Jane proccing Sadist is frightening ["Mmmm...scream for me."], Largo getting Veggie-Maniac is hilarious ["VEG-TA-BLES!"])

But that said, I do actually have some criticisms. I still think you should only be able to move a character once per turn, because being able to move the same unit multiple times makes the game way to easy (sniper + engineer, or Lancer + engineer is almost unfair). Also, the computer gets some crazy bullshit shots, as I have had more then one person die from a cross-map tank shell (the most unbelievable to this point has been a tank shooting between two walls of a building, through a smoke screen, and getting a headshot on a sniper literally on the other side of the map). And this biggest dissapointment thus far has been character development between Welkin and Alicia. Even at the point I am at [chapter 14-15]
I wouldn't have really known they love each other without reading the character profiles. I can't help but feel the in-game story telling just isn't doing it's job right. Of course, I'm a hopeless romantic, so perhaps it's just my fault, but it just seems like there were so many missed opportunities and poorly worded scenes.

Man, I haven't posted that much about a game in a while. Even though I have some criticisms, I can't help but love this game. I can't wait to finish the first run so that I can go back and get everything. Anyone know of a good guide for it (I'll resort to GameFAQS if I have to).

Baha

RpgN said:
You mean walkthroughs? I sure didn't. It is so much nicer to figure things on your own ^_^

I think he means the spoilered portion of Owensboro's post. It was pretty obvious especially if you bought the reports.

Owensboro

comedian said:
Owensboro... really? You didn't see it ?!

Oh I saw it coming, I just thought it was poorly done. Perhaps I just need things thrown in my face from time to time. I mean
It's obvious throughout that they care about each other, but it is never really explicitly said just how far that affection goes.
Again, probably just my ignorance really.

RpgN

Baha said:
I think he means the spoilered portion of Owensboro's post. It was pretty obvious especially if you bought the reports.

Woopsie, didn't read that part. I though he was asking about the gamefaqs links :]

ianp622

comedian said:
Owensboro... really? You didn't see it ?!

I thought it was pretty hard to miss it, although I agree there were alot of
missed opportunities on behalf of Welkin. I mean Alicia practically said she loved him, and he's like "Hmm." or he just laughs awkwardly. I just assumed that's his character though.

Owensboro

ianp622 said:
I thought it was pretty hard to miss it, although I agree there were alot of
missed opportunities on behalf of Welkin. I mean Alicia practically said she loved him, and he's like "Hmm." or he just laughs awkwardly. I just assumed that's his character though.

That's how I've made peace with it up to this point, that Welkin is really just the world's worst at it. I guess it just helps make his character more unique.

Durante

Owensboro said:
Oh I saw it coming, I just thought it was poorly done. Perhaps I just need things thrown in my face from time to time. I mean
It's obvious throughout that they care about each other, but it is never really explicitly said just how far that affection goes.
Again, probably just my ignorance really.
Say, do you watch a lot of/some/any anime? I'd venture that you probably don't and I think that this significantly affects how "obvious" the discussed developments are. It's undeniable that the characters exihibit a lot of anime-like behaviour patterns.

radiantdreamer said:
So you're saying that each skirmish you do, you get a maximum of 20 shocktroopers to kill? Or are you saying that you can have up to 20 shocktroopers on the map at one time? If there is an infinite number of reinforcements, then that's great. Otherwise, it's not so great.
Each turn = 4 Shocktroopers to a maximum of 20 on the map at a time. Infinite. Therefore, tis awesome.

androvsky

Durante said:
Say, do you watch a lot of/some/any anime? I'd venture that you probably don't and I think that this significantly affects how "obvious" the discussed developments are. It's undeniable that the characters exihibit a lot of anime-like behaviour patterns.

It's a Japanese thing. Actually, I remember thinking about how unusually open they were about
their affection
, as if the developers were trying to adapt to the western setting a little bit. :) Also at issue is the translation, the subtitles are simply a transcription of the dub script, which is rather loose in some areas (not a critcism of the dub, dub scripts and subtitle scripts have different requirements and audiences... which is why I don't like dubtitles). I'd be surprised if the word
love
was actually used.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
speedpop said:
What the hell happened to this thread in the last few pages?

Figures? Anime? Voice actors?

65ab95f7.jpg

There is nothing wrong with figures.

Darkpen

Banned
Psychotext said:
Holy crap... the selection of recruits is a little overwhelming. :lol
by end-game (or whenever you manage to get every class's last potential), you'll find yourself narrowing your squad down to select people, but even then, the 50 character limit feels... limiting.

I'm sure someone will look at me like I've grown another head... but this feels to me very much like a modern day xcom (minus the jumping out of my skin when an alien blasts me out of no-where). I love it. :D

gokieks

Psychotext said:
I'm sure someone will look at me like I've grown another head... but this feels to me very much like a modern day xcom (minus the jumping out of my skin when an alien blasts me out of no-where). I love it. :D

Is this you?

zaphod2.jpg

ianp622

Darkpen said:
by end-game (or whenever you manage to get every class's last potential), you'll find yourself narrowing your squad down to select people, but even then, the 50 character limit feels... limiting.

Towards the end I would swap people out just so I could unlock their final individual potential. I like how I didn't feel like I had to because of levels, but I at least get a small reward for making things interesting.

KTallguy

Banned
Psychotext said:

Man, I would KILL for Xcom in this engine.... FUCK!

I like the game as it is though, just finished the mission where 2 are separated from the group.

Owensboro

Hah! Just my luck to bitch about something and then play another chapter. Just beat Chapter 16 and
Welkin finally redeemed himself. Killing off Isara earlier was one of the smartest decisions they made, because I was utterly convinced that Alicia was going to sacrifice herself and that I was going to be real, real pissed. I still feel they didn't develop the relationship between Welkin and Alicia to my liking (it was there, just, damn, grow some Welkin), but that just made the payoff of the end of 16 better.
. I'm kind of sad that I'm so near the end, but now I'm looking forward to the DLC (sweet god please come out in the US).

Also, for the New Game+, can you play through on a "hard mode" or do you just re-play and steamroll everything because it's so low leveled? If it's the latter I guess I will at least get everyone's biography's complete by switching out for characters I never used.

EDIT: Ignore my question. I actually took the time to read about 40+ pages of this thread. Good stuff guys <3.

Raist

Banned
Psychotext said:

As much as I like VC, it's nowhere near the awesomeness of X-COM. It's way much simpler (not even considering the management parts in X-COM games).

Raist

Banned
Psychotext said:
For sure, there's a whole bunch of things xcom did better, but it gives me the same general vibe.

Because it's a TRPG too, maybe ? :p

I see VC more like a TRPG 101 game. For some reason, now that I've almost beaten it, I'm less in love than after a few chapters. Maybe I thought the game would add much more possibilities, dunno...
The characters are basically all the same (most of the potentials being completely useless, or not really affecting anything), there are not enough weapons... etc.
And not being able to crouch/crawl anywhere is annoying :p

The core gameplay is really good, the art excellent, the story decent, but its mechanics are way too simple. It's still a great game tho, no doubt.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Is there a wiki detailing all these rules? I didn't even know you could get your other units ranks up and I'm on chapter 11.
And if i didn't know that, I can't even imagine what else is slipping me by.

gokieks

Owensboro said:
Argh! can anyone re-post to youtube (or give a quick spoilered summary)? I can't remember my stupid logon info for Nico.

Ch. 7:
Destroy all guns with Lancers as usual, then on turn 4, use Lancers to shoot at all 3 radiators so they're almost destroyed; then use a Lancer and shoot a mortar at center of Batomys, destroying all 3 radiators at once. Might be able to use Edelweiss' mortar as well.

Rosie Report:
Abuse the hell out of Double Action (Engineers), Double Movement (Alicia), and Hard Worker (Lynn), along with using many of the special weapons that you don't get w/o the DLC (ZM Kar 7, Ruhm). I don't remember how many CP you start with, so I can't tell if he used orders to get those potentials to activate, but either way, I didn't find it quite as impressive as the Ch. 7 video.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
gokieks said:
Ch. 7:
Destroy all guns with Lancers as usual, then on turn 4, use Lancers to shoot at all 3 radiators so they're almost destroyed; then use a Lancer and shoot a mortar at center of Batomys, destroying all 3 radiators at once. Might be able to use Edelweiss' mortar as well.

How do you get your Lancers to use mortars?

FlyinJ said:
How do you get your Lancers to use mortars?
At level 11, Elite Lancers can equip mortars. You have to do this in the status screen, as it's not a secondary fire a la rocket grenades/flamethrower

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SabinFigaro said:
At level 11, Elite Lancers can equip mortars. You have to do this in the status screen, as it's not a secondary fire a la rocket grenades/flamethrower
What? I thought that wasn't a level thing, but a weapon research branch thing.

buffi

Banned
maskrider said:
The way to clear Ch. 7 in 4 turns that I wouldn't have thought of, crazy !

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5211750

And 1 turn clear of "War Without Weapons", crazy ! Exploit the double/continuous actions so much

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5512982

Note: You need an account to watch and the pages are all in Japanese

Haha, that Chapter 7 solution was awesome. I kind of saw it coming a bit into the video but I'd never have thought about that myself :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snaku said:
Having a hard time getting passed that chapter, and I don't suppose I could make that strategy work seeing as how his soldiers are way stronger than what I have...
You can one-shot the radiators with grenades. Don't worry about the vid, that was just for a speed run essentially.

Snaku

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
You can one-shot the radiators with grenades. Don't worry about the vid, that was just for a speed run essentially.

But I can't one shot the turrets with the lancers. I don't have multiple shots for the lancers or the snipers either.

Top Bottom