• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

RpgN

Durante said:
I feel with you, but on the other hand I can't help but remember the people that expected to buy it for $30 2 weeks after the release. I'm happy that didn't go exactly as planned.

Yay page 100!

Exactly how I'm feeling. All predictions pointed at it being a bomba and dropping in price quickly. It feels good to not seeing this happening for once! Japan has got the game for such a long time and now they're getting an official re-release in March (after a year) and it never had a pricedrop. Perfect timing during the anime broadcast.

Speaking of availability, 2 others stores had the game in stock nearby. One is sold out and the other has one copy left :D

And yay back! I wonder how long this thread lasts. Up to 150!

Baha

Page 100!!

To any Canadians looking for the game, try your local BlockBuster or Rogers Video, they carry copies for sale & rent.

RpgN said:
Exactly how I'm feeling. All predictions pointed at it being a bomba and dropping in price quickly. It feels good to not seeing this happening for once! Japan has got the game for such a long time and now they're getting an official re-release in March (after a year) and it never had a pricedrop. Perfect timing during the anime broadcast.

Considering this is arguably the best game on the system (has anything else been this unanimously praised?), I would hope it has legs.

zoku88

LiveFromKyoto said:
Considering this is arguably the best game on the system (has anything else been this unanimously praised?), I would hope it has legs.
Well, I've never heard anyone speak badly about SSHD ;P

Koren

Hellsing321 said:
Fuck ch 15!
Whats the fastest way to take down this bitch Selvaria? I don't want to deal with this shit anymore.

Try launching a smoke grenade on her, you'll prevent her from dodging, you'll be able to bring shocktroopers without being shut at, and you'll be able to dodge a deadly countattack half the time... I'd recommend using flamethrower, too. Sniping her from inside the smoke could work too (or scouts), haven't tried.

west said:
Thanks! One more copy sold :D
You're welcome... Enjoy the game!

klee123 said:
Importing is one thing, but keep in mind that once the DLC comes out, US gamers will have a hard time getting it.
That's a problem, indeed. But I thought that I was the only one having difficulties with foreign accounts ? Most of european people I know buy US DLC quite easily. If there's a credit card problem, I guess PS Cards should arrive sooner or later.

As a last solution, I'm sure there'll be european gaffers ready to share DLC, too, if it's allowed (but those games need as much reward as possible to grand us more of the same!).

zoku88 said:
Well, I've never heard anyone speak badly about SSHD ;P
I have more concerns with SSHD than with Valkyria. Sessions being too long, to begin with (I don't like action games that last 1-2+ hours for a single play).

I'm almost done my second playthrough, with a few more hard skirmishes to A rank and a couple of medals to obtain.

But, oh man, Golden Arms of Gallia is going to be a bitch. I don't usually employ a full squad to finish missions, so I'm sitting at a measly 515 kills. Can anybody think off-hand of any good maps for quick kills?

zoku88

Koren said:
I have more concerns with SSHD than with Valkyria. Sessions being too long, to begin with (I don't like action games that last 1-2+ hours for a single play).
Did you just throw the gauntlet at me?

Have at thee!

t7ljqp.png

That's a reasonable complaint.

im about an hour and a half into the game and while im loving the gameplay (maybe the best strategy RPG ive ever played), the characters are fucking awful. the lead guy is a pussy, the lead chick is an idiot, and i just dont like any of the characters so far.

not sure if i can make it through these shitty characters to enjoy the game to the end :/

the gameplay and graphics are pretty awesome though. hopefully we get some people ripping this shit off!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
im about an hour and a half into the game and while im loving the gameplay (maybe the best strategy RPG ive ever played), the characters are fucking awful. the lead guy is a pussy, the lead chick is an idiot, and i just dont like any of the characters so far.

not sure if i can make it through these shitty characters to enjoy the game to the end :/

the gameplay and graphics are pretty awesome though. hopefully we get some people ripping this shit off!

You will most likely continue to hate the characters, then. You'll also eventually get bored of the game too if you're not into the characters. Too bad for you. :(

FrenchMovieTheme said:

You have no soul.

Satan awaits.

Ice Blue

I thought the characters were pretty well done. Hmm. Not sure what you wanted. Hurr hurr Mastarcus Cheifenix! The characters were written with maturity in mind. And I'm not talking about the same mature as you assume when you think of M rated game, but a game that can tell a story that mature people can enjoy that has mature themes like war, life, racism, love, and death while still be endearing to a younger audience as well (kinda like Ghibli movies).

i dont have a problem with the story or the themes, but jesus the characters are just annoying me. maybe it's the voice acting thats getting to me, i dont know.

ill stick with it....

ianp622

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i dont have a problem with the story or the themes, but jesus the characters are just annoying me. maybe it's the voice acting thats getting to me, i dont know.

ill stick with it....

Why not switch to japanese voices?

Speaking of voice actors, did you know the english voice actor that plays Rosie is the same one that played Yuna in FFX? I would have never guessed because the Rosie voice is rather gruff compared to the timid Yuna voice.

Yeah, I played with the Japanese voices, maybe that's it. Come to think of it, I never even heard the English voices. The dialogue is much better written in the English subtitles though. There'll be this complex statement in English like "all my life, I've sought to understand this" while the Japanese voice actress is just saying "Welkin..."

dralla

Holy fuckin' balls. Chapter 17 save time, 24:57..Chapter 18, 26:32. That fight took an hour and a half :[]. I know you can max out your characters and beat it quickly but I didn't want to do it like that. Now on to the finale...actually, I think I'll do it tomorrow, I have a feeling it's going to be a long one :]

batbeg

dralla said:
Holy fuckin' balls. Chapter 17 save time, 24:57..Chapter 18, 26:32. That fight took an hour and a half :[]. I know you can max out your characters and beat it quickly but I didn't want to do it like that. Now on to the finale...actually, I think I'll do it tomorrow, I have a feeling it's going to be a long one :]

Most of my fights took a long time :( About an hour and a half to two hours was my average for the second half.

I actually didn't take to this game too well for the first half, and put it down for a few weeks, before coming back and playing it another 40 or so this week :lol I've A-ranked everything except the hard skirmishes now, which... I'm not looking forward to :(

Koren

zoku88 said:
Did you just throw the gauntlet at me?
:lol

Not really... I really enjoyed SSHD, even if I played it on a SD screen (but I love Valkyria, even if I admit it has issues, too). I was just disappointed because when I got better at SSHD, plays were so long that I wasn't able to just launch it and play from time to time. And to do score hunting, you need a LOT of time (especially since a minor error can throw to trash a single mistake).

Besides this, the game is fabulous.

Koren said:
I was just disappointed because when I got better at SSHD, plays were so long that I wasn't able to just launch it and play from time to time.
Buy the Solo Mode expansion. There's a new mode called Endless that is even more awesome than the original game, and splits play up into 10-minute chunks or so (unless you're very, very good). It's the best thing SSHD has to offer.

Back on topic. . .I just beat the game last week, and I was pretty pleased with the conclusion. Perhaps a touch too much melodrama, but in such an anime-style setting that was to be expected. The only disappointing thing is that I would've liked to see more "after the war" stories with all the minor characters of Squad 7. They could end with a pan of the cemetery for anyone you lost.

ezekial45

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
Back on topic. . .I just beat the game last week, and I was pretty pleased with the conclusion. Perhaps a touch too much melodrama, but in such an anime-style setting that was to be expected. The only disappointing thing is that I would've liked to see more "after the war" stories with all the minor characters of Squad 7. They could end with a pan of the cemetery for anyone you lost.

They have the after war info for the side characters in the personnel section of the book. Though from what i understand it only comes up for characters you used.

gokieks

ezekial45 said:
They have the after war info for the side characters in the personnel section of the book. Though from what i understand it only comes up for characters you used.

Used enough to unlock final potential of.

batbeg

Liabe Brave said:

...you let people die?! I could never let a single soldier die, I loved getting the information in the personnel files too much. It's why I'm using an entirely different roster where I can to get my A-ranks, so I can get more info :D While I never greatly enjoyed the story, I have to admit I liked the characters, and the humor continued down even to the minor characters backstories or phrases they shouted.

ianp622

gokieks said:
Used enough to unlock final potential of.

Does that apply to New Game+ as well?

I beat the game this weekend, but I'm sort of upset that the soldiers are the same difficulty that they were the first time. I guess I expected them to be elite. I'm looking forward to doing the hard skirmishes though, after I level up my characters some more.

gokieks

ianp622 said:

I beat the game this weekend, but I'm sort of upset that the soldiers are the same difficulty that they were the first time. I guess I expected them to be elite. I'm looking forward to doing the hard skirmishes though, after I level up my characters some more.

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but I's reasonably sure that you will not get the full biography on recruits in New Game+ (
i.e. what happened to him/her after the war
) in the personnel page unless he/she had his/her final potential unlocked (which also unlocks their full pre-ending bio).

And New Game+, ever since Chrono Trigger introduced the term, has usually meant playing through the exact same game with no change in enemy difficulty, just with already-leveled characters, so VC doing that is just not breaking from tradition.

dralla

ianp622 said:

You beat it and you're not maxed out? Did you play the skirmishes and bonus chapters? They give some serious EXP. I'm near the end and my lowest level is 18, I figured my characters would be very close to maxed out after the final chapter.

SabinFigaro said:
I'm almost done my second playthrough, with a few more hard skirmishes to A rank and a couple of medals to obtain.

But, oh man, Golden Arms of Gallia is going to be a bitch. I don't usually employ a full squad to finish missions, so I'm sitting at a measly 515 kills. Can anybody think off-hand of any good maps for quick kills?

The current chapter I'm on (Ch14, I believe)
The one where you have to take out the two tanks. Lots of opportunity there with the infinite reinforcements. Just sit your tanks on either end of the map and take up some sandbags for a lot of interception fire kills!

ianp622

gokieks said:
I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but I's reasonably sure that you will not get the full biography on recruits in New Game+ (
i.e. what happened to him/her after the war
) in the personnel page unless he/she had his/her final potential unlocked (which also unlocks their full pre-ending bio).

And New Game+, ever since Chrono Trigger introduced the term, has usually meant playing through the exact same game with no change in enemy difficulty, just with already-leveled characters, so VC doing that is just not breaking from tradition.

What I'm saying is if I unlock their final potential during New Game+, will I get the full biography at the end of New Game+?

Thanks for the info about New Game+ as well.

dralla said:
You beat it and you're not maxed out? Did you play the skirmishes and bonus chapters? They give some serious EXP. I'm near the end and my lowest level is 18, I figured my characters would be very close to maxed out after the final chapter.

I played every skirmish and bonus mission once (except for one skirmish I played twice). I had every order except one by the time I beat it, so that's where my exp went. My engineers and snipers were at lvl 14, Lancers at 15, Shocktroopers at 17, and Scouts at 18.

gokieks

ianp622 said:
What I'm saying is if I unlock their final potential during New Game+, will I get the full biography at the end of New Game+?

I don't think so, no. I believe you'll have to complete the New Game+, and then start another New Game+ with that clear data, to see the after-war bio.

dralla said:
How many orders can you buy? The old guy, who sounds like Raiden from MGS, has only given me 4 or so.

I think there are 10 or 11, and they're randomly available when you reach a new chapter.

ianp622

gokieks said:
I don't think so, no. I believe you'll have to complete the New Game+, and then start another New Game+ with that clear data, to see the after-war bio.

Oh, that's pretty much the same thing in my case. Thanks for the info.

gokieks

speedpop said:
What the hell happened to this thread in the last few pages?

Figures? Anime? Voice actors?

You can only have so many "OMG CHAPTER 7/15 IS HARD" and "OMG WHERE CAN I FIND THIS GAME" and "OMG THIS GAME IS AMAZING NOW THAT I FINALLY PLAYED IT" posts before it dies. =P

radiantdreamer said:
The current chapter I'm on (Ch14, I believe)
The one where you have to take out the two tanks. Lots of opportunity there with the infinite reinforcements. Just sit your tanks on either end of the map and take up some sandbags for a lot of interception fire kills!
Good advice. I also found a really good tactic on the GameSpot forums, which I'll paraphrase and tweak here for those interested:

Skirmish 1 (Hard Mode)

- eliminate all enemies and capture the two northern enemy camps, but do not capture the main camp
- at this point, four Shocktroopers will be called in for reinforcement from the main camp each turn, with an apparent maximum of 20 soldiers
- have Shamrock positioned in front of the base camp with the flamethrower ready
- each turn, fire a smoke grenade to cover the base camp, and the enemies will not move nor attack
- you can then skip turns to build up a bunch of Shocktroopers, or eliminate them in waves of 4

Thus far, I've gotten to about 700 defeated foes. Almost there for medal completion!

SabinFigaro said:
Good advice. I also found a really good tactic on the GameSpot forums, which I'll paraphrase and tweak here for those interested:

Skirmish 1 (Hard Mode)

- eliminate all enemies and capture the two northern enemy camps, but do not capture the main camp
- at this point, four Shocktroopers will be called in for reinforcement from the main camp each turn, with an apparent maximum of 20 soldiers
- have Shamrock positioned in front of the base camp with the flamethrower ready
- each turn, fire a smoke grenade to cover the base camp, and the enemies will not move nor attack
- you can then skip turns to build up a bunch of Shocktroopers, or eliminate them in waves of 4

Thus far, I've gotten to about 700 defeated foes. Almost there for medal completion!

So you're saying that each skirmish you do, you get a maximum of 20 shocktroopers to kill? Or are you saying that you can have up to 20 shocktroopers on the map at one time? If there is an infinite number of reinforcements, then that's great. Otherwise, it's not so great.

batbeg

dralla said:

You must have done the skirmishes several times over. I didn't get maxed out until I A-ranked every mission in the New Game+, with the exception of the hard skirmishes.

Darkpen

Banned
To unlock potentials, use the soldier in question, then go to Castlefront St. Ellet should talk about "the rising star." To unlock post war personel info, play the epilogue and start the completed save. For characters that were unlocked via someone falling in battle, both characters must be alive by the end of the game.

edit: why in the world are you guys grinding? Just get A ranks all the time, and by your third playthrough, you have useless money and exp just accumulating :/

Darkpen said:
edit: why in the world are you guys grinding? Just get A ranks all the time, and by your third playthrough, you have useless money and exp just accumulating :/

Some of the medals are based on the total amount of foes defeated.

Ok... finally started playing. Quick question: What's a good level rank I should be aiming for on my first playthrough? I've got a couple of B's on the levels I've played so far, and also one D. Anyone know what criteria makes up your level rank?

RpgN

Haunted said:
You mean page 50. Only peasants post at 50 posts per page. And you don't want to be a peasant, do you?

Hey hey, that's on default. And what's on default is automatically the king :p

How can you handle 100 posts a page?

buffi said:
The only thing which makes up your rank is turns used.
Thanks. That's a bit of a shame really... I was hoping it was more involved than that (credit for keeping your team alive, stealth kills etc).

Top Bottom