• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

gokieks

Boulayman said:
I agree that Saber's figurine isn't great, her face doesn't look like her, but yours is very very impressive. But I need ask: from what anime is it ?

Kara no Kyoukai - originally a novel by Nasu (of Type-Moon fame), and now also a 7-part movie series that's currently being produced (6 of 7 have bee show in theatres, 5 of 7 are out on DVD).

I'm really not a big figure person (I really don't have enough room to keep them, especially w/o endangering them to being knocked over), but that one struck me as a must-have the second I saw it.

Baha

gokieks said:
Kara no Kyoukai - originally a novel by Nasu (of Type-Moon fame), and now also a 7-part movie series that's currently being produced (6 of 7 have bee show in theatres, 5 of 7 are out on DVD).

I'm really not a big figure person (I really don't have enough room to keep them, especially w/o endangering them to being knocked over), but that one struck me as a must-have the second I saw it.

Looking at the release date, the 6th one hit dvd last month :)

Snaku

Banned
Finished Chapter 4 late last night. Man, what an awesome level that was, and completely unlike anything I'd seen of this game so far since I mostly kept myself in the dark.
Hauling ass with a bunch of scouts across the level. Got to the Empire's base next to the bridge with two of them, tossed a grenade into their bunker thing killing one, and then another grenade with Alicia (who had a sliver of health at that point) knocking the other soldier clear out of their base, but not killing him. Then I ran Alicia in and took their base right before she was gunned down. Only took 2 turns.
I'm sure I was extremely reckless, but I got an A rank. :D

gokieks

Baha said:
Looking at the release date, the 6th one hit dvd last month :)

No, it hit theatres last month. But I actually did mistype, as 4 are out on DVD, not 5. 4th DVD was released last month, 5th is released this month (1/28/2009), and there's no date on 6th one yet.

Boulayman

gokieks said:
No, it hit theatres last month. But I actually did mistype, as 4 are out on DVD, not 5. 4th DVD was released last month, 5th is released this month (1/28/2009), and there's no date on 6th one yet.

Oh, that's that anime in the tsukihime universe right, I guess I will give it a shot I really liked tsukihime (and Arcueid ^^ I have a figurine of her)

gokieks

Valkyr Junkie said:
I really wanna see one of those Comic-Con art books

I'm hoping it's not just the same little pamphlet that you got for pre-ordering the game. If it is different, I imagine I'll be getting one off ebay if I can find it.

Boulayman said:
Oh, that's that anime in the tsukihime universe right, I guess I will give it a shot I really liked tsukihime (and Arcueid ^^ I have a figurine of her)

It's not really the Tsukihime universe, because they have their own settings, but all of Nasu's works (Tsukhime, Kagetsu Tohya, MELTY BLOOD, Fate/stay night, Fate/hallow atraxia, Kara no Kyoukai) have some relation with each other. You can find a very good character chart detailing it here.

And yes, Arcueid is awesome. Probably my favorite Type-Moon character, though I've never found any figures of her that I thought were spectacular, and because Tsukihime was their first break-out mainstream work, most of the good ones are hard to find as well.

Boulayman

gokieks said:
I'm hoping it's not just the same little pamphlet that you got for pre-ordering the game. If it is though, I imagine I'll be getting one off ebay if I can find it.

It's not really the Tsukihime universe, because they have their own settings, but all of Nasu's works (Tsukhime, Kagetsu Tohya, MELTY BLOOD, Fate/stay night, Fate/hallow atraxia, Kara no Kyoukai) have some relation with each other. You can find a very good character chart detailing it here.

And yes, Arcueid is awesome. Probably my favorite Type-Moon character, though I've never found any figures of her that I thought were spectacular, and because Tsukihime was their first break-out mainstream work, most of the good ones are hard to find as well.

That's the one I have:

4560228201543550_427.jpg

It's not spectacular but I think it's pretty good.

patsu

gokieks said:
You can do the mission in two very distinctively different ways (
"cheat" and have a Lancer/Tank at each spawn point before capturing the base, or walking into the trap and then fight your way out against huge odds, the latter of which is very rewarding, even if you don't necessarily get a great rank
). I fail to see why that's a bad thing.

And yeah... I'm not sure if I'd be pointing to that Saber figure as paragon of quality - the face looks just about nothing like her. This, on the other hand, is amazing:

2008Aug11154639_257.jpg

(Mine should be here within a week!)

Who is she ?

gokieks

That's probably the best Arcueid figure I've come across. But I'm overly picky when it comes to figures (which is probably another reason I own so few of them), and her face looks a bit off in that one. Not nearly to the extent of the Saber one (though the alternate head on that one is actually pretty good), but still. There was also a MELTY BLOOD Arc figure that I liked the look of, but the quality didn't impress me too much. =/

And it's Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai.

Raist

Banned
Ch. 13&14 :O

Alicia just beat the crap out of Selvaria hahahahaha. Too bad we can't use her... yet ? :p

edit:
omfg I just started the next battle :O
She... she won't hurt me right ? :'(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The figures posted are nice, it is a pity we wont get Valkyria figures on that level.

What concerns me more is that there is no official artbook. I would gladly pay a high price for it.

Boulayman

Hcoregamer00 said:
The figures posted are nice, it is a pity we wont get Valkyria figures on that level.

What concerns me more is that there is no official artbook. I would gladly pay a high price for it.

Does the brady guide have nice art ? I found it for about 30 bucks including shipping to Canada and I was wondering if it was worth it?

I am still pissed off that I didn't get the art pamphlet pre order bonus I was entitled to get :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Boulayman said:
Does the brady guide have nice art ? I found it for about 30 bucks including shipping to Canada and I was wondering if it was worth it?

I am still pissed off that I didn't get the art pamphlet pre order bonus I was entitled to get :(

Regardless of whether it has some nice art or not, it is not an artbook.

The last big one I bought was for Gyakuten Saiban 1-4 and it is amazing on every level.

acevans2

Don't like the voice actors or the dialogue.

I LOVE everything else though. The graphic style is awesome and the gameplay is already really fun, in Chapter 3. I'm so glad I got the game!

Snaku

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

30kw17t.jpg

I want it, but I can't justify spending over $50 on a figure, and she's running upwards of $100.

dkeane

Any tips for chapter 9? I have no idea why I'm having problems. my characters just can't seem to keep up with the tank. Using a mix od shocktroopers and scouts. Maybe this is the point I just need to grind on the skirmishes a bit.

rykomatsu

I'm hoping these aren't a repost...

Edie Poster for Mainichi Issyo
ss2901.jpg

Char Design for Anime
ss2913.jpg
ss2912.jpg

ss2914.jpg

Voice cast, thus far announced, remains the same as the game

gokieks

dkeane said:
Any tips for chapter 9? I have no idea why I'm having problems. my characters just can't seem to keep up with the tank. Using a mix od shocktroopers and scouts. Maybe this is the point I just need to grind on the skirmishes a bit.

Put Alicia at SE deployment, Rosie at north, another Shocktrooper at center, and Largo wherever. On turn 1, move Edelweiss east one block to force the APC to keep moving east at the top road, then send Rosie north to kill the two soldiers. When the APC reaches that point, just have her unload into the radiator. If you have Demolition Boost (obtained by training Lancers to level 8), it's even easier, but it's not necessarily required. There's also a rooftop sniper in the SE that you can ignore, or send Alicia to kill on turn 1 if you want.

dkeane

gokieks said:
Put Alicia at SE deployment, Rosie at north, another Shocktrooper at center, and Largo wherever. On turn 1, move Edelweiss east one block to force the APC to keep moving east at the top road, then send Rosie north to kill the two soldiers. When the APC reaches that point, just have her unload into the radiator. If you have Demolition Boost (obtained by training Lancers to level 8), it's even easier, but it's not necessarily required. There's also a rooftop sniper in the SE that you can ignore, or send Alicia to kill on turn 1 if you want.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Nikorasu

Good grief. I played the demo last night (finally) and realized how much I -need- this game. I spent a good 3 hours today running all over town looking for a copy. I finally found a place with one left and i had to pay almost 80 bucks (CDN) for it.

If sony doesn't want games like this to bomb, maybe they should start charging reasonable amounts for them. :|

Anyway, awesome game, but I noticed the english subtitles aren't what they're saying in japanese. It's kind of distracting. Maybe when my reading skills improve I'll get an import copy down the line.

I've been curious about this game for a while and since I keep seeing this thread pop up so often I finally got around to give the demo a try.

This game's really nice! It's quite an underrated gem...unfortunately outside of GAF it seems the game doesn't much attention.

I think I'll be picking up this game very soon...considering it's been out for a couple of months now, anyone know where to find the best deal on it?

GamePnoy74 said:
I've been curious about this game for a while and since I keep seeing this thread pop up so often I finally got around to give the demo a try.

This game's really nice! It's quite an underrated gem...unfortunately outside of GAF it seems the game doesn't much attention.

I think I'll be picking up this game very soon...considering it's been out for a couple of months now, anyone know where to find the best deal on it?
Good luck paying anything less than $56.99

Though you might get lucky on eBay.

Boulayman

Nikorasu said:
Good grief. I played the demo last night (finally) and realized how much I -need- this game. I spent a good 3 hours today running all over town looking for a copy. I finally found a place with one left and i had to pay almost 80 bucks (CDN) for it.

If sony doesn't want games like this to bomb, maybe they should start charging reasonable amounts for them. :|

Anyway, awesome game, but I noticed the english subtitles aren't what they're saying in japanese. It's kind of distracting. Maybe when my reading skills improve I'll get an import copy down the line.

The price has nothing to do with Sony at all. Sony has pretty much nothing to do with the game. The only connection I can see is that they are sponsoring the anime. How someone could blame sony baffles me. I bought the game for the usual 59.99 at ebgames when it came out. Blame them for marking up the price later on. They had it for 69.99 a few weeks later. As for the rarity, blame it on Sega for not estimating the market correctly. That game was in bargain bins in England a week after its release and people in Canada and Australia have to drive hundreds of kilometers to find it, they didn't plan the distribution correctly.

Nikorasu said:

Why don't you send Sega an angry letter since they are the ones solely responsible for the cost of this game. Also, I'm sure that the sales of this game have fallen in-line with their predictions since they have kept shipments low like they do for most of their niche games.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game and I'm very glad I bought it. As far as I've seen lots of people bought it by mouth to mouth advertising. Has this reflected on any current sales figures?

Dave1988

Nils said:
Just finished the game and I'm very glad I bought it. As far as I've seen lots of people bought it by mouth to mouth advertising. Has this reflected on any current sales figures?

Sadly no.

Nikorasu

Valkyr Junkie said:
Why don't you send Sega an angry letter since they are the ones solely responsible for the cost of this game. Also, I'm sure that the sales of this game have fallen in-line with their predictions since they have kept shipments low like they do for most of their niche games.

Yeah, I didn't really mean sony and just sony. I realize it has more to do with publishers and retailers and I kind of penned that off in a hurry cause I wanted to get back to the game. :lol
They should really try to set a precedent for cheaper games though because the mark up on games, especially those considered retail bombs, is pretty ridiculous. It just took me off guard because this is the first console game I bought since MGS4 and I'm used to paying PC prices. :D

Baha

Raist said:
Ok this may be a stupid question but how are you supposed to read the stuff that you buy from the journalist ?

When you pay for a report, look at your book while in reading mode. You'll notice bookmarks (blue ones), either use chapter select or L!/R1 to turn the page until you reach these bookmarks.

I guess I should mention that I didn't figure this out until I had paid for 4 reports. Also, there's an extra report that's unlocked in new game+ after beating a couple of chapters.

ezekial45

Banned
Raist said:
Ok this may be a stupid question but how are you supposed to read the stuff that you buy from the journalist ?

Go through the chapters with with shoulder buttons to find side chapters/ Some only have cutscenes, but others have missions.

ianp622

ezekial45 said:
Go through the chapters with with shoulder buttons to find side chapters/ Some only have cutscenes, but others have missions.

Yeah at first I just bought them and thought they would do something later. Then I went through the chapter select and I was like "Holy shit! Movies!" and later I was like "Holy shit!! Missions!!".

I like the missions too, they were pretty interesting. Although I was upset that the most expensive one had no missions, at least I got to see Alicia in a bikini :D

gokieks

ianp622 said:
Although I was upset that the most expensive one had no missions, at least I got to see Alicia in a bikini :D

That's actually not the most expensive one.
There's one more that appears when you load the cleared save file and play through a New Game+

ianp622

gokieks said:
That's actually not the most expensive one.
There's one more that appears when you load the cleared save file and play through a New Game+

Shoot, as if I needed another reason to
finish New Game+.

kiryogi said:
Almost, but IMO, I think Alter pulls off the best looking ones. GSC/Max Factory/Kotobukiya after that. That said, yeah, I'm not a big fan of Selvaria herself, but that isn't a very good figure.

While I agree that Alter does much better, more dynamic sculpts (Xenosaga KOS MOS, and Black Lagoon Revy come to mind), their quality in the plastics they use aren't nearly as good as GSC. Alter figures tend to have really off skin tones (very yellow), and some of their parts are too glossy a finish. Their paint quality is also not quite up to par in comparison to GSC.
(dude, I know what I'm talking about. http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com)

GSC doesn't have the most dynamic sculpts, but they definitely are the best quality. Mind you, the Shuraki figures are incredibly dynamic and high quality.

Max Factory is definitely a good one. IMO, better quality than Alter. Their plastics are a lot "heavier" and feel sturdy compared to Alter's lighter plastics.

Kotobukiya has to come last in my opinion. Their sculpts are generally ok, but their plastic quality is mediocre, and their paint quality is not nearly as clean too.

Still, all these are above and beyond the crap that Yujin makes. THAT'S why Alicia looks like she has downs. That's why Selveria looks like she's mentally a bimbo. And that's why I'm not buying that crap.

An artbook would be insta-buy for me.

dralla

Baha said:
When you pay for a report, look at your book while in reading mode. You'll notice bookmarks (blue ones), either use chapter select or L!/R1 to turn the page until you reach these bookmarks.

I guess I should mention that I didn't figure this out until I had paid for 4 reports. Also, there's an extra report that's unlocked in new game+ after beating a couple of chapters.

wait what, I didn't know this :[

Raist

Banned
Bah, chapter 15.

The battle inside the fortress is a fucking pain. Selvaria has an incredible range, and right from the start as soon as you move your characters she hits them pretty bad. Not to mention the ton of snipers roaming around. And no matter where you go to try to reach Selvaria, she always finds a spot to shoot you.
I guess I'll grind to get the undodgeable shot for my snipers and go the cheap way (if that ever works). Awaken potential ftw

Raist said:
Bah, chapter 15.

The battle inside the fortress is a fucking pain. Selvaria has an incredible range, and right from the start as soon as you move your characters she hits them pretty bad. Not to mention the ton of snipers roaming around. And no matter where you go to try to reach Selvaria, she always finds a spot to shoot you.
I guess I'll grind to get the undodgeable shot for my snipers and go the cheap way (if that ever works). Awaken potential ftw
Try
blocking the enemy's line of sight with a smoke shell from the Edelweiss.
The game doesn't really require grinding.

Raist

Banned
archnemesis said:
Try
blocking the enemy's line of sight with a smoke shell from the Edelweiss.
The game doesn't really require grinding.

:lol :lol :lol

I completely forgot the smoke shells >.>

Durante

jiggle said:
:O
that LBP thing is real?
No, but it should be!

Nikorasu said:
I feel with you, but on the other hand I can't help but remember the people that expected to buy it for $30 2 weeks after the release. I'm happy that didn't go exactly as planned.

Yay page 100!

Top Bottom