• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Defuser

Edy and Homer is confirmed!!!

ss3202.jpg

ss3203.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BlazingDarkness said:
I had to laugh at Kotaku's description of this:

Something(s) About The Valkyria Chronicles Anime Is Different, But What?

[]

That's 19 year-old heroine Alicia Melchiott from the Valkyria Chronicles PS3 version. We've seen her wielding a gun like this before. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Let's compare with her anime version.

[]

Hrm. Still Alicia, and she's still brandishing a weapon. Or should that be weapons? We don't want to make mountains out of molehills, and we're happy to get this off our chest. However, something sticks out in the anime version. We'll keep you abreast of any developments on this bumpy issue.

http://kotaku.com/5167815/somethings-about-the-valkyria-chronicles-anime-is-different-but-what

Game:

ps3_alicia.jpg

... Of course the two men besides her now look like children. *sigh*

What worse is that if you look at some of the other pics her breast size is fluctuating, I saw pics where she looks kinda like the game.

Dead Man

Finally took the shrinkwrap of my copy. Damn, I should have done this ages ago, I just played for 10hrs straight! I'm getting my arse kicked in the Kloden Wood stage, I'll figure it out but it's a god time for a break.

Damn this game is impressive. There are a few things that bug me a bit, but they are just becuase it is a Japanese game I think. Not hating on Eastern games, it's just little things like the reporter being the top woman reporter, instead of just top reporter, just a few small things like that. But overall, just an awesome experience so far.

Edit: I haven't read the rest of the thread since I don't want to spoil anything, but the anime version does look... jigglier.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The Frankman said:
Game:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/03/ps3_alicia.jpg[IMG]

... Of course the two men besides her now look like children. [I]*sigh*[/I]

What worse is that if you look at some of the other pics her breast size is fluctuating, I saw pics where she looks kinda like the game.[/QUOTE]

Just watch them include a "bounce" effect too :lol

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Meh, the game is practically an anime. Just play the game.
I swear if the anime's almost exactly like the game, blow by blow, then I'll be disappointed. I demand some expansion of the fiction and universe!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
I swear if the anime's almost exactly like the game, blow by blow, then I'll be disappointed. I demand some expansion of the fiction and universe!

I don't think the world of Europa will be explored beyond anything that could be seen or read in the game glossary.

What would be nice is if they read the game glossary and incorporated it into the main storyline, like showing that Selvaria loves to cook.

ianp622

The Frankman said:
Can easily be explained. She's clearly stuffing her bra to pick up guys on the battlefield. You caught her in that pic w/o bathroom tissue.

I thought he was crying about her face.

Yazuka

Hcoregamer00 said:
What would be nice is if they read the game glossary and incorporated it into the main storyline, like showing that Selvaria loves to cook.
I would have liked to see more of Selvaria as a child and what she went throu.
Expand on that whole story. Or rather just more background story on Selvaria either way!

badcrumble said:
Jann had better be in the anime.
I sure hope he is! Jann is awesome!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yazuka said:
I would have liked to see more of Selvaria as a child and what she went throu.
Expand on that whole story. Or rather just more background story on Selvaria either way!

I rather they not do that if they are just making up shit without consulting Sega.

RpgN

badcrumble said:
Jann had better be in the anime.

Absolutely! They have to!

Ps VC the best version sold 4700 copies for the first week.

About the anime, it will start airing on April the fourth with 2 channels (Chiba terebi and tvk). 10 different broadcast channels will air it starting in April, 26 episodes are planned for now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:
I rather they not do that if they are just making up shit without consulting Sega.
Wouldn't Sega have to approve pretty much everything? It's their property after all.

Yazuka

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well of course they should have consulted Sega regarding those things.
I'd still like too see it either way. I hardly think this is something that will ruin the characters.

zurra

Shadow780 said:
need sniper ladies.
Indeed. If the show has Marina I may watch past the first couple episodes. Having Edy is nice, at least.

The backgrounds look GREAT, but the characters still... don't. Giant Alicia boobs and questionable art, blah. At least there's a little of the sketchy look.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Paznos said:
Is this the same studio that did Sailor Moon at one point?
A-1 only started a few years ago and are likely best known for Ookiku Furikabutte :)D :D :D :D), Persona -trinity soul-, Birdy: Decode TV, and Kannagi.

Baha

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/03/1...me-shots-revealed-and-valkyria-twitter-hints/

Also in Valkyria news, we’ve been updating the official Valkyria Chronicles Twitter feed (@ValkyriaTribune) with a hint about something big on Gallia’s horizon. Each day a couple new letters are added to a phrase - a lot of fans are already guessing what the phrase might be; and even then, what it means - but in any case this is a great time to be a Valkyria Fan. Keep your eyes out for more news soon - and, if I were you, I’d also keep an eye on the twitter feed, especially over the weekend…

So dlc announcement this weekend it seems.

CiSTM

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
I'm very, very tempted to try/buy this game.

I loved Konami's Ring of Red (early PS2 game). Is it kind of like that?

Loved Ring of Red <3

But they aren't really the same, both belong in SRPG genre but that's about it. There are some similaritys in combat and etc. but in the end they really aren't the same. Both are still incredible games. Check the demo out and make your decision.

Llyranor said:
I'm not sure how Ring of Red is, but this game is probably better!

:mad:

You really should play Ring of Red. Not saying it's better than Valkyria but you should give it a try.

Llyranor

CiSTM said:
:mad:

You really should play Ring of Red. Not saying it's better than Valkyria but you should give it a try.
Well, it can wait in line along with every other PS2 game ever made, thanks to Sony's BC state.

Darkpen

Banned
The Frankman said:
Can easily be explained. She's clearly stuffing her bra to pick up guys on the battlefield. You caught her in that pic w/o bathroom tissue.
nooooo, you're looking at the wrong part of what's wrong with the picture :lol :lol :lol

AceBandage said:
Awesome.
Homer is such an odd character, but I always use him.
That's because every engineer outside of Homer, Nadine, and that lesbian girl all have some sort of debilitating problem that make them pointless to use after unlocking all of their potentials.

Darkpen said:
That's because every engineer outside of Homer, Nadine, and that lesbian girl all have some sort of debilitating problem that make them pointless to use after unlocking all of their potentials.
What?! Claudia is awesome, useful, and super cute.

:|

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
What?! Claudia is awesome, useful, and super cute.

:|
Claudia:
+: City Kid, Defense Boost, Demolition Man, Super Repair, Invincible
-: Shut-In, Unlucky

Homer:
+: Masochist, Undodgeable Shot, Poison Tolerance, Super First Aid, Ultimate Defense
-: Neat Freak, Frail Body, Lonely

With Nadine and Dallas aside (Dallas's only negative being Man hater), between those two, I pick Homer as an overall choice since its not like Invincible triggers all the time unless you awaken her, though it is useful in the harder skirmishes. Its worth noting that Claudia has like... 20 more hp than the other three, but again, just my preference for general battles.

Baha

Latest: Day 7: Good - _ h _ n _ s - come - in - threes. (You should know it by now!) Full message reveal, and Part II, coming tomorrow.

Part II? Better include a release date & pricing.

Durante

The "secret" message sort of confirms that we get all 3 DLC parts, no? Previously only 2 were confirmed, so that's nice to know.

The off-model anime shot further up this page hurts much more than the char design alterations

ibu

I have had this game three months and I am finally going to begin it now... gonna put it in to load and jump in the shower... when I come back I expect awesome. Now I put it in one of my games of the year from the demo alone, but been so busy (performing) I have nt had a chance to play till now.

Jaffa cakes and juice ahoy!!

EDIT

Should I install? Or is it not necessary?

gokieks

ibu said:
EDIT

Should I install? Or is it not necessary?

If you have the hard drive space available, you should always install. I don't think there's been any reports of any installs on the PS3 having any negative effects, unlike with NXE (though that's technically a copy of the disc and not an install of game data per se). I've never played VC w/o the install data, but the load times of saved games are pretty long even with the install, so I really wouldn't want to try it without.

Yazuka

I've played this game with both install and without. And honestly... I couldn't tell much different. i think it loads as fast as it did when it was installed.
Might be my imagination or whatnot. But it didn't bother me at least.

ibu

Thank you all... I decided not to install...

An amazing game, chose the japanese dialogue, English will no doubt be a terrible assault on my ears.

Looks awesome... absolutely beautiful.

One bad point... minor point it is...

I never realised the game didn't have trophies *e peins shrinks*

Top Bottom