• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Asbel

ibu said:
Thank you all... I decided not to install...

An amazing game, chose the japanese dialogue, English will no doubt be a terrible assault on my ears.
Sure, if you're an anime sub elitist. Personally, I can't stand the over exaggerated emotions in anime that causes the japanese voice to sound like nails across a chalk board. The only time I found the english dub bad was during order execution, story dub was fine.

Then again, I also didn't care for Selvaria who's just one massive anime stereotype. Big boobs, overpowered and practically brainless.

Hobbun

Asbel said:
Sure, if you're an anime sub elitist. Personally, I can't stand the over exaggerated emotions in anime that causes the japanese voice to sound like nails across a chalk board. The only time I found the english dub bad was during order execution, story dub was fine.

Then again, I also didn't care for Selvaria who's just one massive anime stereotype. Big boobs, overpowered and practically brainless.

Practically brainless? Have you played the same game?

After reading Hcoregamer's spoiler, I see what you may take as 'brainless', but I agree with what he said. She was
completely devoted and loyal to Maximilliam where it may appear she wasn't thinking. However, she was actually very intelligent. Evidenced by the trap she sprung on the Gallian forces at the fort as well as being a strong leader.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Asbel said:

I agree with you that the English dub in Valkyria Chronicles is excellent.

On the other hand, I have something to say about the Selvaria statement. I hated the way she was developed (or the lack thereof) in the game, since most of the pertinent personality information was succinctly developed in the Glossary and ever explored beyond that. My objection was the statement that she was brainless
in the context of the story, her loyalty was for one man because he saved her from being experimented on. Selvaria was there for only one reason, to show what her destiny would have been like, had Welkin been an asshole like Maximillian. She was there to show what a Valkyria would be like had they lived in a country full of bloodshed and horror (since Maximillian was an ass because of the royal family continuing to kill each other).

zurra

ibu said:
An amazing game, chose the japanese dialogue, English will no doubt be a terrible assault on my ears.
The dub was great... one of my favorites when it comes to games. Didn't even listen to the Japanese track at all.

ianp622

ibu said:
Thank you all... I decided not to install...

Looks awesome... absolutely beautiful.

One bad point... minor point it is...

I never realised the game didn't have trophies *e peins shrinks*

English is actually not bad. I generally prefer English because I'm not enough of a snob to say that I understand vocal emotional undertones of a different language and culture. I only do Japanese if it's terrible like the Ghost in the Shell movie.

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
The dub was great... one of my favorites when it comes to games. Didn't even listen to the Japanese track at all.

The dub especially shines through when
Rosie sings, because it feels far more natural than the Japanese version of the song

Hobbun

Hcoregamer00 said:
Rosie sings, because it feels far more natural than the Japanese version of the song

I can't make the comparison to the Japanese VO, but I agree that they did a great job with the song. I have listened to it several times now (after beating it).
I also agree they did a phenomenal job with the English VO overall.

I really, really hope to see a VC 2. *crosses fingers*

Edit: Actually, a friend of mine and I had an idea for a sequel.
The story would focus on General Jaeger and his forces to reclaim his homeland. And he could ask for help from Gallia. Of course Welkin and crew could be sent as Gallia's response so they could be recruitable characters. But the focus would be on Jaeger and any other characters they developed that are close to him from his homeland.

Jaeger wasn't a bad guy, he just wanted his homeland back. He could very easily be turned into a "good guy" the next time around.

Hcoregamer00

Hobbun said:
I really, really hope to see a VC 2. *crosses fingers*

Valkyria Chronicles is part of a long list of games I wish had sequels.

-Phantasy Star V
-Lunar 3
-Chrono Trigger 2
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Ace Attorney 5
-Ouendan 3
-Elite Beat Agents 2
-Minna No Golf 5
-Minna No Tennis 2

Etc...

Yazus

Hcoregamer00 said:

-Phantasy Star V
-Lunar 3
-Chrono Trigger 2
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Ace Attorney 5
-Ouendan 3
-Elite Beat Agents 2
-Minna No Golf 5
-Minna No Tennis 2

Etc...

You are doing it wright.

Hcoregamer00

Yazus said:
You are doing it wright.

Touche :D :D

DSC04115.jpg

Durante

Asbel said:
Sure, if you're an anime sub elitist. Personally, I can't stand the over exaggerated emotions in anime that causes the japanese voice to sound like nails across a chalk board.
Yay, 2 generalisations for the price of one! You don't have to be a "anime sub elitist" to prefer the original, and there plenty of anime VA does not have "over exaggerated emotions". But hey, don't let it get in the way of your preconceived notions!

Hcoregamer00 said:
I disagree.

VC is one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the English dub.

Furthermore, I'm not sure about a sequel, but I'd love a prequel concerning the exploits of General Gunther and the First Europan War, or something along the lines of the Darcsen/Valkyria conflict.

Hobbun

Hcoregamer00 said:

-Phantasy Star V
-Lunar 3
-Chrono Trigger 2
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Ace Attorney 5
-Ouendan 3
-Elite Beat Agents 2
-Minna No Golf 5
-Minna No Tennis 2

Etc...

Oh, I agree. But as this is a thread about Valkyria Chronicles, I was focused on that.

I would really love to see a lot of other games with sequels, as well.

Lunar 3 (As you mentioned, but it would miss the love from WD)
Chrono Trigger 2 (as you mentioned as well)
Breath of Fire 6
Suikoden 6 (With everything back in the originals. True Runes, original world, mass battles, duels, etc.)
Another Lufia (The quality from the SNES games)

Just to name a few.

Hcoregamer00

SabinFigaro said:
Furthermore, I'm not sure about a sequel, but I'd love a prequel concerning the exploits of General Gunther and the First Europan War, or something along the lines of the Darcsen/Valkyria conflict.

This would be awesome as hell, but it would have so much balancing issues (If you were the Valkyria).

(Unless you played a Heroic darksen character who ultimately lost the war)

Hobbun

SabinFigaro said:
VC is one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the English dub.

Yes, that would be neat as well. But the problem is I would like to see Welkin and company again as playable characters. And with this idea, that would be impossible.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
"Day 8: Good things come in threes. The final hint begins tonight!"

Ahhh waiting!

The only thing we need to know is the date since they pretty much confirmed all three DLC's.

Hobbun said:
Yes, that would be neat as well. But the problem is I would like to see Welkin and company again as playable characters. And with this idea, that would be impossible.

There is always room for a sequel.

There could easily be a third Europan war, when
Welkin's daughter grows up

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
The only thing we need to know is the date since they pretty much confirmed all three DLC's.
It would be awesome
not
if the hint refers to the anime and manga making it over... game, anime, manga, threes!

Hcoregamer00 said:
This would be awesome as hell, but it would have so much balancing issues (If you were the Valkyria).

(Unless you played a Heroic darksen character who ultimately lost the war)
It'd be cliche, but you could always do a Romeo and Juliet type story with a Valkyria who loves a Darcsen in the middle of the conflict. Also bringing in the
Darcsen traitors who eventually became the Gallian Royal Family
as story elements would be neat.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
And pricing! But I wanna know now....

:(

It will cost one sheep and two goats

Preferably delivered to Sega headquaters 4 days after notification.

Durante said:
It would be awesome
not
if the hint refers to the anime and manga making it over... game, anime, manga, threes!

That would suck, because Tokyopop and Viz are the only good Manga Publishers.

Baha

Volcynika said:
And pricing! But I wanna know now....

:(

Hmm we can probably extrapolate the pricing from the jp prices alone. I'm buying all 3 regardless to support the game and any plans for a sequel.

Hcoregamer00

badcrumble said:
It'd be cliche, but you could always do a Romeo and Juliet type story with a Valkyria who loves a Darcsen in the middle of the conflict. Also bringing in the
Darcsen traitors who eventually became the Gallian Royal Family
as story elements would be neat.

That will likely be the "huge" plot twist in the prequel.

It would be a good way to make the franchise go mutiplatform, since it essentially restarts the franchise.

Hobbun

Hcoregamer00 said:

There is always room for a sequel.

There could easily be a third Europan war, when
Welkin's daughter grows up

Yes, that was what I was thinking about in that idea for a sequel with my friend.
Isara would now be the original Isara's age that she was in VC (16). So Welkin and Alicia would obviously be quite a bit older, but only in their late 30's and definitely playable.

Even Largo could even be young enough to be in there. He would be another Cody, but cooler. :D

Hcoregamer00

Hobbun said:
Yes, that was what I was thinking about in that idea for a sequel with my friend.
Isara would now be the original Isara's age that she was in VC (16). So Welkin and Alicia would obviously be quite a bit older, but only in their late 30's and definitely playable.

Even Largo could even be young enough to be in there. He would be another Cody, but cooler. :D

Exactly, the best part is that she is a
Valkyria, so she could be a "key part" of the new story arc.

Anything is possible as long as they think they could make money off it.

KongRudi

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
I'm very, very tempted to try/buy this game.

I loved Konami's Ring of Red (early PS2 game). Is it kind of like that?

Never heard of Rings of Red.

I usually explain this game to potential players, by mentioning the original UFO/XCom games gameplay, since they are pretty similar.
Only here there is a decent anime-story alongside it, and more choices when recruiting soldiers and a very different setting.. :)

Yazuka

^ Wishfull thinking.
But it could be about the DLC and two other things related to VC.
Even if I still think its just about the 3 dlcs.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
No one really thinks it's anything other than DLC1, DLC2 and DLC3, right?

Of course, I was just pointing out that a PSP spinoff is far more likely than a sequel.

The PSP seems to be getting a second life, and Sega would be stupid to let the last big release be Phantasy Star Portable (no matter how AWESOME the game is).

AceBandage said:
I wouldn't be disappointed, honestly.

The PSP needs more Sega love.

Yazuka

Durante said:
No one really thinks it's anything other than DLC1, DLC2 and DLC3, right?
Nope. But its fun to hope that it migh be more.

A PSP spinoff wouldn't be all bad. Well we can always hope, now can't we?

Meier

Ugh... fatal mistake to clear out the mines/barricade on the bridge, ended up opening myself up to a tank on the otherside coming and drilling the back of the Edelweiss. 20-25 mins down the drain. :(

TheJollyCorner said:
I'm very, very tempted to try/buy this game.

I loved Konami's Ring of Red (early PS2 game). Is it kind of like that?
Don't listen to the guy that said it wasn't--it really is pretty similar in many ways. The tone especially: a somewhat grim battlefield atmosphere, alleviated by quirky character stuff. And your effective but somewhat irregular forces up against a more industrial, better equipped enemy.

But Valkyria has far better production values, and faster, more visceral gameplay. You control all the footsoldiers individually, rather than having them be mere adjuncts to your mech. And positioning, travel, and cover on the battlefield play a huge role unlike Ring of Red.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I have to agree with the last few posts regarding the dub... it's AMAZING IMO. This is coming from someone who played through the Japanese version when it was first released, and then bought the US game just a few weeks ago to support it. I've gotten past the
bridge capture battle
and the quality of this dub is insane... especially when you consider Yakuza's dub lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Eh, the dub's passable I guess. Finishing Persona 4 before hearing VC in English might have skewed my perception though, as P4 had an absolutely fantastic dub.

gokieks

The English voices are decent. Edy's, however, makes me want to stab her with a rusted fork. And it's also lacking the unintentional comedy factor of Lelouch-Maximilian giving orders.

Darkpen

Banned
The English voices really deserve more credit than people give it. They did a phenomenal job. More so, its not like the English subs are tailored to the Japanese track, so you're screwed on that end if you don't have a comprehensive understanding of the language. Its even more jarring if you understand a little bit of the language to know they're not saying what you're reading.

Top Bottom