• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

CO_Andy

The sensitivity in the controls stink in this game; my character is running as soon as i nudge the left analog stick. Thankfully my Xbox S-Type pad remedies the problem.

And holy smokes are the load times annoying! Even with the optional hard disk install it still loads like a PS1 game.

Hobbun

Hcoregamer00 said:
Of course, I was just pointing out that a PSP spinoff is far more likely than a sequel.

The PSP seems to be getting a second life, and Sega would be stupid to let the last big release be Phantasy Star Portable (no matter how AWESOME the game is).

The PSP needs more Sega love.

I don't mind seeing a PSP spin-off. But not if it's going to be instead of a full blown PS3 sequel. That has to be higher priority. At least for me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
CO_Andy said:
The sensitivity in the controls stink in this game; my character is running as soon as i nudge the left analog stick. Thankfully my Xbox S-Type pad remedies the problem.

And holy smokes are the load times annoying! Even with the optional hard disk install it still loads like a PS1 game.

???? this game and even without the install load super fast ..

I guess your your PS3's laser is dying

RpgN

Liabe Brave said:
Don't listen to the guy that said it wasn't--it really is pretty similar in many ways. The tone especially: a somewhat grim battlefield atmosphere, alleviated by quirky character stuff. And your effective but somewhat irregular forces up against a more industrial, better equipped enemy.

But Valkyria has far better production values, and faster, more visceral gameplay. You control all the footsoldiers individually, rather than having them be mere adjuncts to your mech. And positioning, travel, and cover on the battlefield play a huge role unlike Ring of Red.

I found Ring of Red for 5 euros two days ago (well the price was for a different game but the seller agreed to sell it for 5 euros only, and it's in perfect condition!) and played the first 3 missions. I got it mainly because of the comparison with Valkyria Chronicles. Honestly, it didn't feel too similar to me. Especially when it comes to management and movement, Ring of Red is much deeper and you controll one mech the whole time with additional support. The game seemed slower to me as well, one fight takes longer. Time plays a huge role and you need to focus because your attack can easily miss. It felt like a simulation mech game mixed with strategy. I can see how it's a little similar because the movement is turnbased and your action is real-time, also because of the available individual characters (though not fleshed out in a similar manner like VC).

Things I didn't like about Ring of Red is the story, or rather the translation. It is so boring and is written like an internet translator sometimes, it makes me laugh. Though when I try to focus, it gets interesting but we're used better now. It reminds me of some ps1 rpgs where some lines don't make much sense. Or some lines like you're a total newbie or loser make me laugh for some reason :lol And as mentioned, the production values are nihil. Not one single movie so far, just texts (not voiced) and battle. The music sounds pretty good, but it gets repeated often. But I'm not too bothered by the production values, just the first con.

Still it's a nice game which gives me (personally) a different experience compared to Valkyria Chronicles. If you're looking for a game that is exactly like VC, this isn't it. If you are looking for another strategy game that is also a little bit different than others in the genre, then get it. It's fun after you get used to it. Lots of stats and reading too.

dkeane

CO_Andy said:

You make small movements with the dpad. It works great.

CO_Andy said:

troll.

Ignore the heathen, people.

gokieks

Totobeni said:
???? this game and even without the install load super fast ..

I guess your your PS3's laser is dying

The load times, especially for command mode saves, is nowhere near being fast.

Yeah, the load times are pretty bad. Frustratingly so when I was trying to try out some tactics to get through levels in the minimum amount of moves.

Fusebox

Banned
Rosie is the only voice I don't really like, for such an alleged great singer she sometimes sounds a bit like Stans sister Shelly.

edit - And Maxi, he should be stronger sounding, not so whiney, but they only stand out by contrast coz everyone elses voices fits their character so well.

ianp622

Fusebox said:
Rosie is the only voice I don't really like, for such an alleged great singer she sometimes sounds a bit like Stans sister Shelly.

edit - And Maxi, he should be stronger sounding, not so whiney, but they only stand out by contrast coz everyone elses voices fits their character so well.

Did you know Rosie's voice actor is the same as Yuna's from FFX? I couldn't believe it, because they sound so different.

Lain

Psychotext said:
Yeah, the load times are pretty bad. Frustratingly so when I was trying to try out some tactics to get through levels in the minimum amount of moves.

I think you people should be more specific. The load times of saved games might be long, otherwise the loadtimes aren't long. At least I don't remember them being long or bad at all.

Ponn

Banned
So there was this show on food network about hot dogs and they said the original company name for oscar mayer hot dogs was edelweiss.

Here comes the weinermobile.

Baha

Yazuka said:
Updated their twitter again.
"Good things come in threes. 1-0-_-_-_"

Any more guesses?

The chances of it being a date are low since it usually is 4 digits and not 5. Maybe a price? $10.99? Hell it could a zip code for all I know.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yazuka said:
Updated their twitter again.
"Good things come in threes. 1-0-_-_-_"

Any more guesses?

The DLC will be $100.99

Maximilliam (aka Lelouch) is pleased
c61f0650.png

ianp622

Hcoregamer00 said:
The DLC will be $100.99

The scary thing is, it took me a bit to think about whether I would pay that much for the DLC.

It also can't be a date because the next 10th on Thursday is in September.

Lilsnubby said:
Alicia is a little grating. Gunther is better in English than Japanese. Rosie is a perfect blend of tough and feminine. Isara is perfect. The reporter is the only one thats really much better in Japanese. Overall an excellent job with the US voices.

I didn't listen to the Japanese voices, but I thought Ellen had the best English voice actor of all of the characters.

Lilsnubby

Alicia is a little grating. Gunther is better in English than Japanese. Rosie is a perfect blend of tough and feminine. Isara is perfect. The reporter is the only one thats really much better in Japanese. Overall an excellent job with the US voices.

Volcynika

ianp622 said:
The scary thing is, it took me a bit to think about whether I would pay that much for the DLC.

Sega of America, this poster is not representative of your small but awesome Valkyria ownerbase.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
Sega of America, this poster is not representative of your small but awesome Valkyria ownerbase.

Like Sega listens to gaming forums.

If they did, we would have gotten Sakura Taisen and Yakuza 3.

Hcoregamer00

RurouniZel said:

I have been asking for various forms of Sakura Taisen since 2001 on various message boards, my pleas have never been answered.

I took it to myself to mod my saturn and dreamcast, learn Japanese, and import every single version on my own accord. This would have not happened had Sega listened to its fans. If a franchise like Phoenix Wright has a legion of fans in the United States, Sakura Taisen could have been the same.

Quixzlizx

I know I'm LTTP by now, but I didn't get a monitor with HDMI capability until January, and by then I was already into Persona 3: FES.

Anyway... I love this game. The presentation might be the best ever from an RPG I've played, and I really like the characters so far (especially Alicia and the reporter). So far there's a perfect difficulty curve for me. I don't save mid-battle, I only play each skirmish once, and I'm going for A-ranks in every battle. I'm handling it so far, but I'll see if I hit a brick wall in
Chapter 7.

Unfortunately, I'm sure we'll end up with 5 more Sonic games and no Canvas Engine games in the next 5 years. I'll be doing my share and buying the DLC day 1.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hcoregamer00 said:
I have been asking for various forms of Sakura Taisen since 2001 on various message boards, my pleas have never been answered.

I took it to myself to mod my saturn and dreamcast, learn Japanese, and import every single version on my own accord. This would have not happened had Sega listened to its fans. If a franchise like Phoenix Wright has a legion of fans in the United States, Sakura Taisen could have been the same.

I'm the same way. But instead of pestering Sega, I kept asking Working Designs, who I believe made one or two attempts at it.

CO_Andy

I hate SCEA's enforcement of English VO, but besides that no one bought the first Yakuzas to justify localization of the third. We have nobody but ourselves to blame for that one :(

Every time i play Valkyria i salivate at the possibility of playing it as a 3rd-person shooter.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
CO_Andy said:
I hate SCEA's enforcement of English VO, but besides that no one bought the first Yakuzas to justify localization of the third. We have nobody but ourselves to blame for that one :(

Every time i play Valkyria i salivate at the possibility of playing it as a 3rd-person shooter.

if they can make a different game using this engine, as a 3rd Person shooter, yeah give it a try(Maybe give PLATINUM games that job)

but i dont wish VC was a shooter AT ALL, love this game as it is, top 5 on PS3, and i usaully hate RPGs

Hcoregamer00

RurouniZel said:
I'm the same way. But instead of pestering Sega, I kept asking Working Designs, who I believe made one or two attempts at it.

I feel your pain my fellow Sakura Taisen fan, I know the sorrow.

CO_Andy said:

I wouldn't mind if they turned it into a 3rd person shooter.

As long as it uses the anime art style from Valkyria.

Hcoregamer00

Wehrwolf said:
But not the art style of the anime, right? :D

*Looks at previous posts*

According to my post history, I "love" the anime art style as much as watching glue dry.

You know I meant the anime art style of the game.

Can anyone tell me what the 3 DLC is going to be?

I wish they'd hurry up and just tell us the date and what not. Getting tired of the teasing. I just want the damn thing.

RpgN

Katana_Strikes said:
Can anyone tell me what the 3 DLC is going to be?

I wish they'd hurry up and just tell us the date and what not. Getting tired of the teasing. I just want the damn thing.

1. Hard mode for the story missions
2. I think 2 new missions that involves Edy and more about her story?
3. Silvaria pack, where you play as the empire. I think it was 3 missions. Some Japanese importers like this DLC the most.

I also read that some DLCs grant you new weapons to use wherever you want, like Silvaria's deadly weapon. I'm not sure 100% ^^

Baha

RpgN said:
1. Hard mode for the story missions

I think this is for skirmishes only, not 100% sure.

RpgN said:
2. I think 2 new missions that involves Edy and more about her story?

1 mission from what I've read.

RpgN said:
3. Silvaria pack, where you play as the empire. I think it was 3 missions. Some Japanese importers like this DLC the most.

3 missions and a 4th you can unlock I believe.

RpgN said:
I also read that some DLCs grant you new weapons to use wherever you want, like Silvaria's deadly weapon. I'm not sure 100% ^^

Hard EX & the Selvera dlc grant you new weapons with completion

Baha

Volcynika said:
Isn't just beating the game normally unlock hard skirmishes?

Yes but from the trailer I've seen, Hard EX skirmishes are completely different from those HARD versions. These are HARD EX, not simply HARD.

Volcynika

Defuser said:
When you're interested in a game. One should always search for any new info relating to it.We have known this months ago.

Yes. But months ago I knew the DLC was coming and we're only now finally getting something on when it's actually coming (hopefully). I also tend to forget things when they're not mentioned in a while. Only human and all.

So one should not expect someone to remember everything.

Baha

Volcynika said:
Yes. But months ago I knew the DLC was coming and we're only now finally getting something on when it's actually coming (hopefully). I also tend to forget things when they're not mentioned in a while. Only human and all.

So one should not expect someone to remember everything.

You should download the trailers off the jp PSN or hit up youtube. I like the Edy trailer the most out of the three followed by the selvera trailer.

Volcynika

Baha said:
You should download the trailers off the jp PSN or hit up youtube. I like the Edy trailer the most out of the three followed by the selvera trailer.

Maybe. Honestly in the beginning when they announced DLC was coming to the US, I thought it'd end up being released like the JP DLC was, in segments (at least that's what I thought). So all I really remembered was the Edy focused one and Selvaria, didn't ever think about the other one.

Yazuka

CO_Andy said:
I hate SCEA's enforcement of English VO

But they don't force that anymore? Wasn't Yakuza 2 released with just Japanse VO?
I'm still hoping Sega will reconsider releasing Yakuza 3 in the US. With or without English VO. Even if I prefer English VO.

I just finished the game (after a long break). OMG the ending was so touching. My eyes were all watery ;_;

What a beautiful and absolutely wonderful game...

Those that decided to judge a book by its cover are definitely missing out on one of the best game experiences ever. I have absolutely nothing but praise for this title.

Is there any way we can show our support directly to Sega? Like an email address or something? I'll bet if we did band together and send them emails on how great this game is, SOMETHING will happen.

Yazuka

XiaNaphryz said:
They relaxed it a bit with the PS2 as it's not the main platform anymore.
Aha, I see. Well a shame they could relax that a bit on the PS3 also.
I would really like to have Yakuza 3.

NolbertoS

So what's with the "Good things come in 3's hint" so far it's 1-0-3-6-_? I'm hoping it's not an attempt of seeing a 360 release?? Awfully fishy, but nonetheless, I loved it on the PS3.

Top Bottom