• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
While I think trophies for VC would actually fit really well, I don't like them in RPGs..they just don't fit. I know some people love to do challenge runs and speed runs of RPGs but not everyone likes that playstyle for this genre. This is coming from a semi-trophy whore as well. I'm having a blast getting them in RE5, but that's a game that's easy to jump into and replay a certain part. You can't magically warp to any section in an RPG and defeat that boss in a certain amount of time with a certain weapon for a trophy..(this is why VC would actually work, it has chapters) I'm not a 360 owner so I have no idea how achievements worked in RPGs there.

worldrevolution said:
While I think trophies for VC would actually fit really well, I don't like them in RPGs..they just don't fit. I know some people love to do challenge runs and speed runs of RPGs but not everyone likes that playstyle for this genre. This is coming from a semi-trophy whore as well. I'm having a blast getting them in RE5, but that's a game that's easy to jump into and replay a certain part. You can't magically warp to any section in an RPG and defeat that boss in a certain amount of time with a certain weapon for a trophy..(this is why VC would actually work, it has chapters) I'm not a 360 owner so I have no idea how achievements worked in RPGs there.

The best implementation of achievements/trophies yet was Mass Effect. Getting the achievements for using weapons and skills allowed you to use that stuff for your new game+ characters or even just level 1 characters.

RPGs typically either went mostly story based (LO) or fucking ridiculous grind fests: (BD being by far the worst offender).

If there's a good mix of story based ones and high level ones I love trophies/achievements in RPGs.

Facism

gregor7777 said:
The best implementation of achievements/trophies yet was Mass Effect. Getting the achievements for using weapons and skills allowed you to use that stuff for your new game+ characters or even just level 1 characters.

RPGs typically either went mostly story based (LO) or fucking ridiculous grind fests: (BD being by far the worst offender).

If there's a good mix of story based ones and high level ones I love trophies/achievements in RPGs.

Yes, Mass Effect did it well. Uncharted also did it well. Thats how i think trophies/achievements should really work, i'd probably give more of a shit about them if they unlocked stuff for you to mess around with.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't give a damn about trophies period. I don't need a computer to tell me I'm awesome at it's game! XD

On topic, finally the DLC is coming! Wooooo!! :D

gregor7777 said:

Demon's Soul has a very rudimentary but effective trophy system.

Basically:

Kill Boss/Beast/Rare Mob X and get Trophy Y.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Finally got it today. Couldn't resist, Gamestop had their game days sale thingie and VC was half price!

voltron

so I just started playing Lenneth on PSP and I have a couple Qs...

keep in mind ive never played a JRPG or Squenix game or whatever. Ok so an hour into Lenneth all I have been doing is watching cutscenes with some mercenary and princess. Theres been a couple battles.

Is this what I can expect the whole game to be like? Is there any actual gameplay or what?

AKS

I haven't seen a trophy/ achievement setup I have liked yet, and I really dislike speed runs with SRPGs. I'd prefer they didn't add trophies to this.

voltron said:

keep in mind ive never played a JRPG or Squenix game or whatever. Ok so an hour into Lenneth all I have been doing is watching cutscenes with some mercenary and princess. Theres been a couple battles.

Is this what I can expect the whole game to be like? Is there any actual gameplay or what?

You're in the wrong thread. But stick with that game, it'll get much better soon.

AKS said:
I haven't seen a trophy/ achievement setup I have liked yet, and I really dislike speed runs with SRPGs. I'd prefer they didn't add trophies to this.

Why would you care if you don't like shooting for them? Just ignore them. No reason to not want other people to enjoy them..

TheChillyAcademic said:
Demon's Soul has a very rudimentary but effective trophy system.

Basically:

Kill Boss/Beast/Rare Mob X and get Trophy Y.

Yeah, LO had achievements like that too which I liked a lot. All of the endgame bosses and quests had achievements.

Ponn

Banned
voltron said:

I totally hope Welkin hooks up with Lenneth instead of Alicia. Or maybe Alicia and Lenneth can get into a valkyrie battle over welkin.

zurra

Dunno why people are clamoring so much for trophies in Valkyria. Doesn't the game basically have a trophy system already with the medals?

Durante

zurra said:
Dunno why people are clamoring so much for trophies in Valkyria. Doesn't the game basically have a trophy system already with the medals?
Yes, it has. It would have been nice to just have those represented as "real" trophies but it's not all that important. I'm also surprised at the frequency with which this comes up, it's at least the 5th time in this thread that a significant number of posts are spent on the topic. Perhaps it's because VC is far and away the best PS3 game that doesn't have trophies.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zurra said:

I don't get it also.

I was playing RE5, the first PS3 game I own that has trophies from the outset (sans patches) and I was not impressed.

In all honesty, the people I played with online wanted some silly or obscure trophy destroyed some team work, not promote it.

For me it's mostly about comparing goals achieved in a game with my friends. Seeing how far they got in the game and what they were up to.

If the medals are viewable online then that's really all I would need.

I like medals/trophies/achievements as a record of what I've achieved in the game.

gokieks

There's nothing wrong with wanting trophies. Saying "I refuse to buy a good game unless it has trophies", on the other hand, is completely retarded and asinine.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hellion said:
2cwoi1s.jpg

Did Alicia get boob implants in the game-to-anime transition?

gokieks

rhfb said:
My gamestop didn't have it on sale, 60$ for the new, 55 for the used. I'll just continue to wait then it seems :|

It may just be they left a copy in the normal PS3 section instead of putting it into the Game Days bins. Ask the employee to do a price check on it, and it should be $30.

TouchMyBox said:
Please no, I don't want to feel the need to go through this game again and not lose a single soldier.
?? Does nobody understand that you aren't REQUIRED to get trophies?\
If you don't want them, don't get them and let us trophy whores do our thing.
I still can't get all the way through this game, but pissing me off because I like it so much, but DAMN I suck at strat games.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Lowering the price of Valkyria could likely be a promotional, only to move back to full price.

Perhaps.

Loving the game so far by the way. Writing seems awful, but par for the course.

The backdrop story seems different at least.

The gameplay flows very nicely. Controls are easy to use and you don't need to think about them.

Hcoregamer00

gregor7777 said:
Perhaps.

Loving the game so far by the way. Writing seems awful, but par for the course.

The backdrop story seems different at least.

The gameplay flows very nicely. Controls are easy to use and you don't need to think about them.

You are not getting any arguing from me.

The game is great except for the god awful script and how they treat Gen. Selvaria.

lunlunqq

have never paid attention to this game... accidentally stepped into this thread... i love jRPGs and strategy games. so you guys say i should get this game?

Keikoku

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
You are not getting any arguing from me.

The game is great except for the god awful script and how they treat Gen. Selvaria.

I liked the characters and some parts of the plot, but the dialogues were mainly embarassing. :/
English VA fix this quit a bit though.

Hcoregamer00

Keikoku said:
I liked the characters and some parts of the plot, but the dialogues were mainly embarassing. :/
English VA fix this quit a bit though.

I played it in English, so from my experience with the English VA, the script just sucks.

A change in language wouldn't have made a bad script good.

Keikoku

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I played it in English, so from my experience with the English VA, the script just sucks.

A change in language wouldn't have made a bad script good.

I know, I was saying this about embarassing dialogues, japanese made it worse for me.

Also I wouldn't say that the plot sucks, the background is decent, and there are some nice moments. Problem was the narration with all this dumb cutscenes when you only see characters speaking in a stupid square on the screen...

Hcoregamer00

Keikoku said:
I know, I was saying this about embarassing dialogues, japanese made it worse for me.

Also I wouldn't say that the plot sucks, the background is decent, and there are some nice moments. Problem was the narration with all this dumb cutscenes when you only see characters speaking in a stupid square on the screen...

The portraits are fine, it is like the Tales skits if Namco actually gave them a budget that doesn't suck.

The problem is the crappy dialog, the presentation was excellent.

What is irritating is having SEGA spoil a HUGE plot twist in the opening, along with showing the plot twists in the frames before you view them. That kind of takes the wind out of the dramatic events.

lunlunqq said:
have never paid attention to this game... accidentally stepped into this thread... i love jRPGs and strategy games. so you guys say i should get this game?

Yes. Just understand that VC adds some real time elements to the SRPG genre before going in.

Quixzlizx

lunlunqq said:

I don't think there are going to be too many people in this thread not recommending the game to a jrpg/srpg buff.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
lunlunqq said:
I was in your indifferent position until last week. I'd played the demo, and decidedly dismissed this thread every time I saw it pop up. I was convinced the gameplay would be too bare-bones, the characters would lack depth, and that the narrative focus would be too understated to really appeal to a lapsed RPGamer such as myself (being initiated by the golden SNES/PSX era).

And then I noticed the game going out of stock in most retailers. There and then, being the shameless opportunist that I am (and knowing SoA fell to a similar fate), I made the plan to buy low now, and sell for profit later.

Somewhere along the line I caved in, and now I realise how horribly misled my preconceptions of this game were, and how off-putting that demo must be to prospective buyers. This is RPG design at it's finest and most original, and certainly the most addictive I've played in years. It doesn't receive its acclaim by route of a sympathy vote for trying something new and half-succeeding; it's a substancial revolution of a genre that genuinely works, and delivered in style to boot.

So, I say by all means.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Damn, this game is a time-eater. My copy came into today and next thing I know 4 hours had passed. And I've just scratched the surface. I think I spent like 30 minutes putting together Squad 7 for the first time. :lol

Oh, and Vyse is one of my Shocktroopers. Game of the Decade.

Lack of trophies doesn't really bother me. This game is the real deal.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The portraits are fine, it is like the Tales skits if Namco actually gave them a budget that doesn't suck.

The problem is the crappy dialog, the presentation was excellent.

What is irritating is having SEGA spoil a HUGE plot twist in the opening, along with showing the plot twists in the frames before you view them. That kind of takes the wind out of the dramatic events.

Not that the plot twist would have been surprising anyway, though...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I sold this and Disgaea 3 about a month ago knowing I would get them back. Got Disgaea 3 about a week ago and today I re-bought this. It's here to stay this time. Will continue right where I left off.

Wag

OK, I just picked the game up. I don't have time to read through this loooong thread, but before I start playing are there any good strategy guides or websites I should check out?

lunlunqq

Cataferal said:
I was in your indifferent position until last week. I'd played the demo, and decidedly dismissed this thread every time I saw it pop up. I was convinced the gameplay would be too bare-bones, the characters would lack depth, and that the narrative focus would be too understated to really appeal to a lapsed RPGamer such as myself (being initiated by the golden SNES/PSX era).

And then I noticed the game going out of stock in most retailers. There and then, being the shameless opportunist that I am (and knowing SoA fell to a similar fate), I made the plan to buy low now, and sell for profit later.

Somewhere along the line I caved in, and now I realise how horribly misled my preconceptions of this game were, and how off-putting that demo must be to prospective buyers. This is RPG design at it's finest and most original, and certainly the most addictive I've played in years. It doesn't receive its acclaim by route of a sympathy vote for trying something new and half-succeeding; it's a substancial revolution of a genre that genuinely works, and delivered in style to boot.

So, I say by all means.

hmm... if the game is indeed this good, then the demo is a big failure. I played the demo and didn't feel it at all.

Top Bottom