• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

lunlunqq said:
hmm... if the game is indeed this good, then the demo is a big failure. I played the demo and didn't feel it at all.

The demo is a lot like other RPG demos this gen. They drop you off without context and it feels disjointed as hell.

See ToV, BD in particular. All three are really excellent games, and all three have bad demos IMO.

Quixzlizx

gregor7777 said:
The demo is a lot like other RPG demos this gen. They drop you off without context and it feels disjointed as hell.

See ToV, BD in particular. All three are really excellent games, and all three have bad demos IMO.

I replayed the demo over 10 times, and I kept setting new objectives for myself like "fewest CP used while killing all enemy units and losing none of your own."

I'm guessing that's the difference in persepctive between the average JRPG fan and a strategy fan. The game is obviously more compelling with a story mode, but I probably would've bought it if it had just been a list of 30 skirmishes (although trophies would've been much more appreciated).

Durante

Cataferal said:
Somewhere along the line I caved in, and now I realise how horribly misled my preconceptions of this game were, and how off-putting that demo must be to prospective buyers. This is RPG design at it's finest and most original, and certainly the most addictive I've played in years. It doesn't receive its acclaim by route of a sympathy vote for trying something new and half-succeeding; it's a substancial revolution of a genre that genuinely works, and delivered in style to boot.
That's just the thing that makes VC my favourite game of the gen this far: often you have to choose between originality and polish when selecting a game. Valkyria Chronicles manages to be decisively original in a genre that has bee somewhat stagnant for a while, while delivering high production values and a lot more polish and depth than expected in all its sub-systems.

I disagree on the demo though. If you approach it in the right mindset -- that it is a demo showing early missions in a strategy game, where you obviously don't have all options at your disposal -- it works. Of course that is probably not an expectation you can have of the console audience. Still, my interest in the game flared up after the first few minutes of the demo. It managed to show off its radically new approach to SRPG gameplay, and that core demonstration of the system captivated me even with its limited breadth and depth.

Also, BD isn't an excellent game.

Llyranor

Well, BD still probably gets more flak than it deserves. Enjoyable combat system (on hard mode, at least), and a neat job system. If anything, the demo (with hard mode, and most if not all job abilities unlocked, allowing me to experiment and customize my party around) sold me on that game.

Keikoku

Banned
Damn mission 15-b is hard !

Any tips for Selvaria ? I can't do shit, she kills my unit from a very long range when I try to move them toward the stairs to activate the elevators.

Durante

Stay in cover, especially on the side she will go to next.

If you have huge problems with the mission or are just generally cheap you can try the cheesy strategy outlined a few pages back. It basically involves covering her (or your snipers?) in smoke and then snipering her from the starting position.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gregor7777 said:

I disagree, Valkyria Chronicles had an excellent demo.

It did exactly what it was supposed to do, which was to introduce people to a different kind of strategy RPG.

ianp622

I actually liked the demo.

I've just reached 50 hours of playtime, and I still love this game. I'm working on getting all of my classes to lvl 20 for when the DLC comes out, and I have all of the potentials unlocked for my characters except a few Lancers.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow, this game is awesome.
Just go past the first mission after you get the command center, and am loving it. Leveling up is sooooo fun, so is spending the money to upgrade your weapons and the tank

Such a fun game.

I'm glad people are finally picking up this game and realizing what they had missed. I just wish more people had done that, and earlier too. FOOLS!!! :lol

RaidenZR

I decided to capitalize on the Gamestop $30 deal this week and pick up Valkyria. I had been wanting to grab it since Christmas, but it looked like the kind of game I would want to get COMPLETELY absorbed in and I was holding off until I finished a work project. It was going to happen, discount or not. That said, the project wrapped up Friday (for the most part) and I got to spend all day in Gallia. It was everything I had hoped and then some. I played happily through the first 4 chapters very much absorbed and without distraction. The game is thorough, exhaustively complete, and satisfies pretty much every desire in me to have in a console strategy/action-RPG with production value.

I just skimmed some of the posts in the later bits of this thread (I'm not sure if it's consistently expressed by posters throughout) and my feelings contrast with a lot of what's said. I think the demo was actually successful. I think most of the people approaching the demo were just looking to see how the battles would play out and the potential of the depth therein. You could grasp it had something unique to offer from the types of units and the ways the played off of each other and the environment. Of course, there is so much more, and maybe a teasing video that showed the upgrades, potentials, and Training Level-Ups would have gone the extra step or two to convince some folks of the expansiveness of the game.

I also think some of the comments about the text/voice is little too critical. Sure it has lots of anime cliches and rolleyes moments, but it's still done with charm and its own conviction. I'm sure I'm still early on and even then I'm frequently surprised by some of the words and themes at play here. Even when there is a cheesy moment it tends to roll off my cheek because I feel the little ancillary character exchanges and optional cutscenes between battles are building toward something. There's a bit of class here, and attention, that's not present in most games of the same ilk. The war thesis and character interactions are less heavy-handed than Metal Gear, and doesn't repeat itself, insofar as I've played. I'm appreciating that.

Also, is it me is the recent news of Nonaka declaring his hope for it not to be a one-off spurring the blogs to over-exagerrate the whole "commercially a disaster-flop-ton" stuff? I realize it didn't set the charts a-blaze, but was its sell-through that poor?

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
I'm glad people are finally picking up this game and realizing what they had missed. I just wish more people had done that, and earlier too. FOOLS!!! :lol

Look at the bright side, should a Valkyria Chronicles sequel come out, they will gladly buy it for $60.

It is all going to plan

bc1af744.jpg

I picked this up a week ago. The only thing I really dislike is how your rank is only dependent on your speed. I would much prefer something more like Advance Wars Power/Technique/Speed scoring. I like to be slow and tactical, I don't like to save/load constantly, and I like to be able to make mistakes and work around them. If you want a good rank, and the massive increase in money/exp that brings though, you have to try to be as fast as possible, and serious blunders require a reload.

I have been trying to mostly ignore the rank and play my way, but the bonuses are so huge.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Look at the bright side, should a Valkyria Chronicles sequel come out, they will gladly buy it for $60.

It is all going to plan

OSAKAAAAA!

Your prayers may very well have been answered. Keep your fingers crossed!

Valkyria Chronicles Producer Interested in Sequel!!!

http://ps3.qj.net/Valkyria-Chronicles-producer-interested-in-a-sequel/pg/49/aid/130279

Although Sega's Valkyria Chronicles did not become a monster-hit RPG PS3 title despite the positive reception of the critics, the game's producer nonetheless expressed interest in producing a sequel to it.

Iin an interview with Famitsu, Nonaka Ryutaro said that he was ecstatic with the way the game was embraced by the Japanese public. Apart from that, he's also looking forward to the debut of the anime, as this, according to him, is a good means to further develop the IP.

Ryutaro also is said to be "very adamant" about not leaving the game at just one title. Still, this does not necessarily mean that the sequel will actually happen. In the meantime, though, you can catch the three new DLC packs coming on April 16.

mclem

Hcoregamer00 said:
What is irritating is having SEGA spoil a HUGE plot twist in the opening,

Spoilers for *several* major plot twists coming up, not just the one HCoregamer's referring to; do not go NEAR this until you've finished the game:

I saw the opening two or three times, and managed to miss it. I'd picked up the foreshadowing in the *plot* as it progressed, but that's arguably fair game.

I wonder if the difference was that I'd not done much research into the *characters* before I got the game? Having come in from a position of relative ignorance (it basically boiled down to "Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG, and it keeps getting recommended to me. I'd better take a look"), I *hadn't* immersed myself in learning lots of little bits about Squad 7's and the Empire's main characters a long way in advance, so when I watched the intro, it boiled down to faceless people doing things. The only one I really registered from the intro is Selvaria - because she's the one most visibly 'doing cool stuff'. I didn't really know Alicia well enough to spot when she was transforming; I can't recall for certain, but I probably mistook her for Selvaria again.

I did, however, get the spoiler of a large vehicle crashing through the walls of Randgriz; I'm not disputing your main point!

As an aside, the biggest plot twist that I didn't see coming at all - didn't pick up the foreshadowing, didn't expect at all, and doesn't seem to get enough love here - was the Princess's Darcsen heritage. Took me completely by surprise.

along with showing the plot twists in the frames before you view them. That kind of takes the wind out of the dramatic events.
I completely agree with this one. Downright idiotic.

Durante

But we can spend a few pages talking about whether or not having trophies would be a good idea and how important it is. I bet that would be interesting!!

More seriously,
88. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 153,002
was in the just released 2008 Top list. This finally confirms Sega's reported numbers.

Volcynika

I'm actually trying to do at least one operation a day now (I know, I'm very slow), but I can hopefully knock it out of the way before May along with the DLC.

At Mission 8-2 now, gah. So annoying to get swarmed with enemies at the start.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
But we can spend a few pages talking about whether or not having trophies would be a good idea and how important it is. I bet that would be interesting!!

More seriously,
88. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 153,002
was in the just released 2008 Top list. This finally confirms Sega's reported numbers.

It was released as a "best price" earlier this year, so we have any number with that to include with the sales of Valkyria?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I've read about a spoiler in the opening... is it in the rolling demo or in the an actual in game cinema? Can it be avoided easily?

Baha

levious said:
I've read about a spoiler in the opening... is it in the rolling demo or in the an actual in game cinema? Can it be avoided easily?

You can avoid it by simply not watching the intro before the menu screen. It's a montage video with a spoiler thrown in so you're not missing anything you wouldn't eventually see during a play through.

Volcynika

From the Valkyria Twitter:

"Coming this week on the SEGA Blog: Valkyria DLC - An in-depth look at what's included in the Hard Mode EX, Edy, and Selvaria content packs!"

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
From the Valkyria Twitter:

"Coming this week on the SEGA Blog: Valkyria DLC - An in-depth look at what's included in the Hard Mode EX, Edy, and Selvaria content packs!"

Only getting the Selvaria pack, nothing more.

consoul

Missed the game at retail, but recently bought a promo copy off ebay for the equivalent of USD$10. Even has coverart! Bargain of the century.

So so good.

Eteric Rice

Just got this for $30 at Gamestop.

There was some other game I wanted to tell you guys that was cheap, but I can't put my finger on it... Fuck.

Llyranor

Just to clarify (maybe that was already done, I just forgot): HardEX is actually a rebalanced difficulty for a new game, and not a new game +, right?

Actually, I'm fairly sure that it's a rebalanced difficulty for skirmish missions only, otherwise not having the Edelweiss during some main game missions wouldn't make sense.

Llyranor

Don't you already unlock hard mode for skirmishes once you finish the game (I should get around to doing that!)? Is this harder mode, then?

Llyranor

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. I'm not a big fan of the skirmishes, since they just appear to be rehashes of the main missions. It just seems like grinding xp/gp. I was hoping HardEX was a harder difficulty for the main story. If it's just skirmishes, I'd be a bit concerned about how difficult it'd actually be, given how overpowered your characters can become.

Are the two mission packs scenarios you access using your current party setup, including level/equipment and such? Or are they balanced with specific characters at specific levels and such? I'm hoping for the latter, since the former would be so variable that balancing would basically go out the window.

Gattsu25

Banned
Just got this game

I died twice in the third fight...the last time I missed the enemy tank by an inch, with my tank's main cannon, and blew up my own gate.

D:

I'll try it again tomorrow.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What's the point for the hard modes anyway? You lot are akin to those fools who run through FFT using Ramza only. Surely you have better things to do with your time than bash your head against a wall.

patsu

lunlunqq said:
hmm... if the game is indeed this good, then the demo is a big failure. I played the demo and didn't feel it at all.

Dear lunlunqq,

Yes. The demo is a big failure because it failed to showcase the game's allure. It only showed you how to move the chess pieces, but never gave you the satisfaction of a battle won (or lost).

Gattsu25

Banned
Maybe I played too much Ring of Red but the demo is what sold me on this game. I could feel the potential in the gameplay even from that early tutorial.

Darkpen

Banned
I'm a bit shocked by the accounts of people who were turned off by the demo o_O

I was convinced to buy this game by demo alone. All of the SRPG trappings were there, and all I needed to do was wait for the release :S

ianp622

speedpop said:
What's the point for the hard modes anyway? You lot are akin to those fools who run through FFT using Ramza only. Surely you have better things to do with your time than bash your head against a wall.

The strategy changes completely, even just for Hard Skirmish mode. Plus, you feel more like you're just trying to survive, rather than trying to get through in a few turns. It's great.

gokieks

The Hard/EX-Hard skirmishes aren't required by any stretch of the imagination - they're more akin of the challenge modes you find in other games (and you need to A-rank the Hard ones to complete all medals).

And having more missions where you need more than just Super-Scout-Alicia is a very good thing.

*is picking up all 3 DLC the day it's released*

Hcoregamer00

gokieks said:
The Hard/EX-Hard skirmishes aren't required by any stretch of the imagination - they're more akin of the challenge modes you find in other games (and you need to A-rank the Hard ones to complete all medals).

And having more missions where you need more than just Super-Scout-Alicia is a very good thing.

*is picking up all 3 DLC the day it's released*

Of all the DLC, this one should have been in the game in the first place.

The other two could be justified to some extent.

BeeDog

Yay, my copy arrived today, will play it later on. Any tips on what mindset I should have when entering this game? :p And what I should think of to lessen any potential irritation moments? Or is there a good tutorial to bring me up to speed?

Owensboro

SabinFigaro said:

Hahahaha. God I always hated it when the computer got a cross-map Lancer / or / Tank shot off. Nothing was worse then loosing a sniper because a tank decided to pop them in the head from a bazillion miles away.

Hard EX looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I'll actually have to worry about parking people in Line of Sight of anything on the map, as opposed to just making sure they are slightly protected.

suikodan

I tried chapter seven this weekend. I passed it without any hurdles except that I got defeated in chapter 8 and quit the game. Sadly, I didn't save so it was back to chapter 7 and now, I can't pass it.

I hate wasting time like this... :lol

Top Bottom