• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

gantz85

Banned
Brandon F said:
Got this for $30 too and am liking it.

Don't get why I am getting C's and D's for missions though. I can't possibly see how I could have managed Mission 2 any faster or better, yet it took 5 turns to get me through both parts and I end up with a D rank.

Ranks are given based on speed of completion. Meaning you don't actually have to kill enemies. One of my later missions, I spent a long time tactically fighting out with assault riflemen etc but I ended up with a C. I replayed the level many times tweaking my strategy..

until I just used two scouts for 3 turns to get to the flag. A.

mintylurb

I was able to order this from gs website before it got backordered. Hopefully gs don't send me a used/buffed copy. Thank jebus I was able to order this game online. It would've taken me years to purify myself if I had to step foot in my local gs store.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
gantz85 said:
Ranks are given based on speed of completion. Meaning you don't actually have to kill enemies. One of my later missions, I spent a long time tactically fighting out with assault riflemen etc but I ended up with a C. I replayed the level many times tweaking my strategy..

until I just used two scouts for 3 turns to get to the flag. A.

That's pretty bad. What do ranks give anyway? More exp?

Darkpen

Banned
Brandon F said:
Got this for $30 too and am liking it.

Don't get why I am getting C's and D's for missions though. I can't possibly see how I could have managed Mission 2 any faster or better, yet it took 5 turns to get me through both parts and I end up with a D rank.
protip: don't worry about getting higher ranks during your first playthrough, otherwise you're just ruining the experience for yourself.

You get more exp, and later, you get "Royal Weapons," but really, don't worry about it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Darkpen said:
protip: don't worry about getting higher ranks during your first playthrough, otherwise you're just ruining the experience for yourself.

You get more exp, and later, you get "Royal Weapons," but really, don't worry about it.

Pretty much... Caution + Alicia will end the majority of missions in one turn.

Baha

TheChillyAcademic said:
So do we know when the DLC is releasing in the West?

Before June? They only said Spring 2009, no idea whether it's awaiting Sony ceritifcation or if they're even done with recording the English dub for the dlc.

Kagari said:
Conclave.
The release will be a joint with AnimeYuki.

Don't mean to troll or sound negative, but AnimeYuki abandoned Tora Dora halfway, and their subtitles were a little off in some translation bits. You guys sure about doing a joint with AnimeYuki?

Baha said:
Before June? They only said Spring 2009, no idea whether it's awaiting Sony ceritifcation or if they're even done with recording the English dub for the dlc.

Fair enough.

I haven't been able to finish this game, my backlog looms, but the feelings I have for this game are like the feelings I used to have for certain Anime series. Its fun to get lost in the world and characters, such a joy to watch and in this case, play.

Farnack

Banned
Brandon F said:
That's pretty bad. What do ranks give anyway? More exp?
More ranks means more XP gain for that level.

Just enjoy the game the way you want to. If you want to kill everyone, then you could take all the time you want to do that. If you care about XPing, then you just grind those skirmish levels or something. XP gain helped me get A ranks consistantly with super Alicia doing things in one turn, but it wasn't necessary.

Koren

Farnack said:
Just enjoy the game the way you want to. If you want to kill everyone, then you could take all the time you want to do that. If you care about XPing, then you just grind those skirmish levels or something.
This... I tried to get best ranks on my first playthrough, but without replaying the missions for this (got A most of the time, anyway). I also skipped all skirmishes. I was expecting the A-rank to become far too easy later (I was right), and I like some challenge, playing too carefully would have been a bit bothersome for me.

But rank is just a "bonus", not so useful (you'll just XP a bit quicker, but even if you have bad ranks in a couple of missions, since it's exponential, it's not even so important).

Darkpen

Banned
Just watched the first ep.... and is it just me, or does the seiyuu for Alicia sound way too familiar :lol

Its not the same voice actress as the one in the game, right?

*goes to google*

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=20999

I knew it! :lol :lol :lol

27yvco.jpg

2cwoi1s.jpg

:lol

It looks like she'd done at least 5 other voices I've heard her in, but her Kana voice is both the closest and still topical.

Though thinking about it, I guess I hear bits of her other roles as well :lol

Its so weird, though, since Okaeri just ended, and since they both and twin ponytails :lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Psychotext said:
Anyone know when the DLC is coming out? I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I figured just asking wouldn't hurt. :)

I think "Spring 2009" is the only thing Sega has said thus far.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that the downloadable content for Valkyria Chronicles™ will be available on PSN for download for £3.19 or €3.99 each on 16th April.

Details on the new downloadable content:

· Hard EX Mode – fight your way through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You’ll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.

· Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” – six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with their squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.

· Selvaria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame”– Taking place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines, you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer assigned to Selvaria’s troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and experience the war play out through the eyes of the enemy.

Valkyria Chronicles is set in a fictitious continent reminiscent of 1930s Europe. Divided in two and ruled by the Empire and the Federation, the Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, which is situated in the middle of the two great empires. The game follows a hero named Welkin and his fellow soldiers of Gallian civilian militia’s 7th Platoon who are fighting against the Empire. The Empire is intent on unifying the continent under its power, but Gallia discovers that the Empire possesses a secret weapon, known as the “Valkyria”- an ancient race with special powers thought to exist only in legends. With this new discovery, the fate of Gallia’s ability to win the war and a hope for a better future hangs in the balance.

Baha

Paracelsus said:
Hard EX is for skirmishes, right?

As far as I know, yes. I'm hoping the dlc hits this week or the next for NA.

Looking at the pricing I'm guessing it'll be $4.99/5.99 each for the dlc. A bit steep but I like the game enough to spend that much money for all three.

Quixzlizx

jstevenson said:
Pretty much... Caution + Alicia will end the majority of missions in one turn.

Unless the missions start getting really short again later in the game, "majority" seems to be an extreme exaggeration.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
posted?

LONDON (8th April, 2008) – SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that the downloadable content for Valkyria Chronicles™ will be available on PSN for download for £3.19 or €3.99 each on 16th April.

Details on the new downloadable content:

• Hard EX Mode – fight your way through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You’ll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.

• Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” – six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with their squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.

• Selvaria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame”– Taking place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines, you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer assigned to Selvaria’s troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and experience the war play out through the eyes of the enemy.

Valkyria Chronicles is set in a fictitious continent reminiscent of 1930s Europe. Divided in two and ruled by the Empire and the Federation, the Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, which is situated in the middle of the two great empires. The game follows a hero named Welkin and his fellow soldiers of Gallian civilian militia’s 7th Platoon who are fighting against the Empire. The Empire is intent on unifying the continent under its power, but Gallia discovers that the Empire possesses a secret weapon, known as the “Valkyria”- an ancient race with special powers thought to exist only in legends. With this new discovery, the fate of Gallia’s ability to win the war and a hope for a better future hangs in the balance.

The Valkyria Chronicles downloadable content will be available for the PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system on April 16th.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3707-LA-G...4d8-Valkyria-Chronicles-DLC-gets-dated-priced

funny how your strategy has to be totally counterintuitive to what a traditional strategy would be for a particular map or battle.

In Skirmish 2, I get an A easily by
ignoring the right flank along the river completely and pushing up the far left side of the map. I use 3-4 shocktroopers to push up the left alley, then blitz the furthest shocktrooper the rest of the way to the flag. I only kill one red enemy and 3-4 regulars and not one CP or shot is wasted.

Same with Ch 5's mission in the forest. Never moved my tank or half my deployment.

Baha said:
As far as I know, yes. I'm hoping the dlc hits this week or the next for NA.

Looking at the pricing I'm guessing it'll be $4.99/5.99 each for the dlc. A bit steep but I like the game enough to spend that much money for all three.

probably will be $3.99 each. Hope it arrives same week too. ;3

Hellion

2cwoi1s.jpg

Every time I look at this photo :mad: It makes it hard for me to finish the game Knowing I'll only be left with a shitty anime to follow up.

£6.38 on its way to you, Sega. Well Done!

Edit: Oh FFS, 16th is when I'm away for the weekend. Every time! Every time I'm away from my PS3 they release something awesome. Bastards!

ianp622

Hellion said:
Every time I look at this photo :mad: It makes it hard for me to finish the game Knowing I'll only be left with a shitty anime to follow up.

I saw the first episode subbed and I thought it was pretty good. I've heard that I should wait until the next episode to make a judgment about the series though.

RpgN

Just came to post about the DLC confirmed for EU, I got it from Sony on my mail (a little late, oops!). The prices for all three together are a little much, but I'll get them regardless.

Darkpen

Banned
Hellion said:
2cwoi1s.jpg

first episode wasn't so bad, but we'll have to wait and see.

vag 2.0

Shadow780 said:
YES, time to put in VC disc again!

Totally. Been waiting for this since November :D

Interesting vid I found while searching for DLC stuff : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_yX3Ai54bo (no spoilers, not about the dlc itself - 'advanced tactics' for the game, ROCKET JUMPING)

Same guy has a few HD Valkyria videos from the DLC, and some Demon's Souls stuff as well if any of you are into that.

BeeDog

Alright, just ordered this sucker for 30€, guess I couldn't pass it up as I just sold another game today. Any good things I should think of from the start while playing it?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
radiantdreamer said:
Don't mean to troll or sound negative, but AnimeYuki abandoned Tora Dora halfway, and their subtitles were a little off in some translation bits. You guys sure about doing a joint with AnimeYuki?

I think you're mistaken. The last show AnY did was Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto... which was completed. They never did Toradora.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wollan | April 8th, 2009 at 10:36 am

I promise I will buy this game the day Sega releases a trophy patch.

There are more great games than I can afford to buy these days so having trophy support is crucial.

If this was the only title demanding a purchase from me then it would be an easy choice trophies or not. That’s not the case though. Cheers.

The crying going on at the blog is hilariously sad. For crying out loud its like half-price this week and they still won't buy it! This game came out well before those stupid trophy things even existed on the PS3! Segac can never win can they? ;_;

Volcynika

Lindsay said:

The crying going on at the blog is hilariously sad. For crying out loud its like half-price this week and they still won't buy it! This game came out well before those stupid trophy things even existed on the PS3! Segac can never win can they? ;_;

It truly is the worst generation when people won't buy games due to lack of trophies. Seriously.

Top Bottom