• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

So I picked this up during the sale, and going by my experience with the demo, I wasn't expecting much... And what do you know, it turns out to be one of the best games I've ever played. Period. It's short by SRPG standards, but the quality and the replay value make up for it.

It's too bad it didn't sell as well as it should have... I really hope they make a sequel.

RpgN

As you guys know, a best version was released on March the 5th in Japan. It tracked on famitsu the first week, but never officially tracked on MC sales. Well, it seems the anime broadcasting is bearing its fruits, the best has been quietly charting for 2 straight weeks on MC. Last week (03/30 - 04/05) on number 50, and this week (04/06 - 04/12) on number 25. I wonder if it will chart again next week.

DMeisterJ said:
Confused????????????????????

Oh, it seems the ps3 didn't paste the kanji even though it copied it just fine :/

BeeDog

Fuck I suck at this game :lol was pwned on chapter 1, during the part where you have to rush to the alley when the tank arrives. Any hints on how to finish that painlessly? Don't want to waste reloads at that part and write off the game this early in frustration.

RpgN

Aru said:
At last, I'm gonna start this game soon :D

How long is the game ? 50 hours ?

If you take your time, it's a 40 hours+

But you can finish it in more than 20 hours.

The average seems to be 30 hours, have fun!

Oh, and you're timing is spot on. 3 new DLCs are coming today which will extend the time, if you want more.

AKS

Aru said:
At last, I'm gonna start this game soon :D

How long is the game ? 50 hours ?

I think 30 hours is average, but I think most like playing a New Game+, and in addition to that DLC is coming. In short, you don't need to worry about having enough to see and do in this game.

Aru

RpgN said:
If you take your time, it's a 40 hours+

But you can finish it in more than 20 hours.

The average seems to be 30 hours, have fun!

Oh, and you're timing is pot on. 3 new DLCs are coming today which will extend the time, if you want more.

No, thanks :p
I have no interest in difficulty settings other than normal, and subquests too.
The main story will be enough for me :)

30 hours ? Seems fine.

RpgN

Famitsu sales are out! It seems the Best version has been tracking and having legs without others noticing!

30. [PS3] Senjou no Valkyria, PlayStation 3 the Best (Sega) - 4,300 / 21,000

First week it started with 4,700. Great!

Aru said:
No, thanks :p
I have no interest in difficulty settings other than normal, and subquests too.
The main story will be enough for me :)

30 hours ? Seems fine.

I think you will sound different after playing and finishing the game, then you would desperately want more. At least I did :p

klee123

RpgN said:
Famitsu sales are out! It seems the Best version has been tracking and having legs without others noticing!

I think you will sound different after playing and finishing the game, then you would desperately want more. At least I did :p

Nice, Hopefully this will push the game to be over 200K in Japan.

Aru

It's been a while since I wanted more from a game !
The last game I finished at 100% is Megaman Maverick Hunter X, IIRC.

I prefer playing more games than playing the same game for a long time. I get bored after finishing the main quest, usually.

RpgN

klee123 said:
Nice, Hopefully this will push the game to be over 200K in Japan.

I'm hoping for such a thing as well, it's certainly possible.

aru said:
It's been a while since I wanted more from a game !The last game I finished at 100% is Megaman Maverick Hunter X, IIRC.I prefer playing more games than playing the same game for a long time. I get bored after finishing the main quest, usually.

Really I'm kind of the same. I usually get bored from a main game after mere hours and get back to them after months or sometimes never. I don't know why, but I was hooked on VC. It kept me going until chapter 15/16, and then I slowed down because I didn't want the game to end.

Todayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Too bad I'm at work for the next 11 hours. :(

Poor you, hang in there! You'll have a nice treat when you come back. I really wanted to buy all DLCs today (with PixelJunk Eden DLC), but I have to wait next week due to some problems with my CC :(

Baha

BeeDog said:
Fuck I suck at this game :lol was pwned on chapter 1, during the part where you have to rush to the alley when the tank arrives. Any hints on how to finish that painlessly? Don't want to waste reloads at that part and write off the game this early in frustration.

You just have to move welkin to the exit, just try and keep as much distance from you and the enemy soldiers. It isn't hard to do once you know the way out.

wow, DLC today huh? I follow a strict gaming schedule (backlog down to FIVE!!) that doesn't really allow for me to return to any previous games. Will have to make an exception for this DLC, but not til after I finish Galactrix

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:

The anime seems to be pushing the game more than I expected.

Here is hoping it has legs.

I watched first two episodes of anime last night. I figured it wouldn't go past where I currently am (chapter 8) and I was right. It is a pretty big departure in some details from the game so far, though it seems to have the same general structure.

Boulayman

Augemitbutter said:
so the DLC is out on every EU store. now i need to track down info about every pack and decide if its worth a penny.

Is it out in NA store yet ? I think the usual update happens around this time

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I bought the Hard EX mode DLC. Still haven't finished the game, but I'm finding it much too easy so far, and might appreciate this later.

Dave1988

Got the Edy and Salveria DLC (Ex Hard will have to wait to the first of May). It's finally time to get the two remaining medals (kill a 1000 Imperials and "A"ce every available mission). Oh VC, it's back into the PS3 with you...:D

buffi

Banned
Bought all of the DLC and played through the Edy mission. It was pretty easy, but it was nice getting my Valkyria fix again.

I'll play through Selvaria and start on the hard more ex skirmishes tomorrow.

Keikoku said:
How much missions there are in each pack ?

Edy and Selvaria DLC has one mission each. The hard mode EX DLC adds another difficulty for all of the skirmish maps.

I thought Selvaria had a few missions. I seem to remember some of the Japanese players saying something like you had to get the top mark in each mission to unlock the next.

Anyway, I bought all 3 packs, I can't wait to get stuck into them. Now if only I could draw myself away from Persona4.

Boulayman

buffi said:
Bought all of the DLC and played through the Edy mission. It was pretty easy, but it was nice getting my Valkyria fix again.

I'll play through Selvaria and start on the hard more ex skirmishes tomorrow.

Edy and Selvaria DLC has one mission each. The hard mode EX DLC adds another difficulty for all of the skirmish maps.

OK. About the Edy and Selvaria, it's new missions on existing maps right ?

Boulayman

Die Squirrel Die said:
I thought Selvaria had a few missions. I seem to remember some of the Japanese players saying something like you had to get the top mark in each mission to unlock the next.

Anyway, I bought all 3 packs, I can't wait to get stuck into them. Now if only I could draw myself away from Persona4.

That's what I thought as well. Based on the trailer, I thought there were at least two (15-1 and 15-2 maps)

Edit:

Thanks to psu's Sieghardt:

Selvara's is 4 missions with one unlockable by A ranking the others, also gives Selvaria's rifle in the main game

vag 2.0

Gonna start the DLC!

A question about the unlockable weapons - the anti-tank sniper / ruhm. I saw them both during the Japanese trailers for the Edy/Selvaria expansions - are they unlocked there?

edit: doh, missed the post above re: ruhm. Any word on the anti-tank sniper rifle thing?

El-Suave

Bought the Edy and Selvaria dlc, I don't want to pay for hard mode. As much as I want to support the game, I know I won't get to use that anyway in the near future plus that seems like something that should be included with the original game.

I played the Edy Detachment mission(s). Nice dlc - 1 1/2 missions on a new map with fully voiced cutscenes of the talking head variety, no big CG movies of course. The first part of the mission is a 3 turn base defense, then you get to do some offense on the same map while also defending your base. Won't spoil any story details, I'll just say that I thought it was fun and worth the money. Although I can see some people bitching that it's a bit too short. Since I had to start the base defense over a few times, it was long enough for me. Finished with a C rating.

I also checked out the setup of the first (?) Selvaria mission. That seems to be much more interesting and involved as far as the map is concerned and the whole setup of you playing as the Imperials is interesting in itself. If you only buy on mission this probably should be the one, but I don't regret buying both at all.

Boulayman

El-Suave said:
Bought the Edy and Selvaria dlc, I don't want to pay for hard mode. As much as I want to support the game, I know I won't get to use that anyway in the near future plus that seems like something that should be included with the original game.

I played the Edy Detachment mission(s). Nice dlc - 1 1/2 missions with fully voiced cutscenes of the talking head variety, no big CG movies of course. The first part of the mission is a 3 turn base defense, then you get to do some offense on the same map while also defending your base. Won't spoil any story details, I'll just say that I thought it was fun and worth the money. Although I can see some people bitching that it's a bit too short. Since I had to start the base defense over a few times, it was long enough for me. Finished with a C rating.

I also checked out the setup of the first (?) Selvaria mission. That seems to be much more interesting and involved as far as the map is concerned and the whole setup of you playing as the Imperials is interesting in itself. If you only buy on mission this probably should be the one, but I don't regret buying both at all.

About the Edy Dlc, it has multiple endings that vary based on the rating you get ^^

El-Suave

Boulayman said:
About the Edy Dlc, it has multiple endings that vary based on the rating you get ^^

Wow, I didn't think it would have, because if you loose someone (no medic in this mission) they're back for dialogue in the mid mission cutscene(s) and then gone again. Good to know.

ianp622

El-Suave said:

Don't forget the hard mode comes with new weapons as well. I'm currently downloading all 3, can't wait to try them out.

neight

Banned
El-Suave said:
The game already comes with a hard mode for skirmishes. This not only ups the difficulty it modifies the game by removing the tank and adds weapons. I hate dlc but these Valkyria Chronicles dlc is how you do dlc right. They're completely extraneous to the game, none of it feels like it should've been included in the game to begin with and they were produced after the game came out(no unlock key bullshit).

RpgN

neight said:
The game already comes with a hard mode for skirmishes. This not only ups the difficulty it modifies the game by removing the tank and adds weapons. I hate dlc but these Valkyria Chronicles dlc is how you do dlc right. They're completely extraneous to the game, none of it feels like it should've been included in the game to begin with and they were produced after the game came out(no unlock key bullshit).

I also read on the Sega blog that there are new 'Aces' there and A.I. has been modified. Added with (what you already mentioned) 7 new weapons, the removal of Edelweiss, and the Expert mode, I think the value of this DLC is higher than what people give it due regardless of the price.

Koren

By removing the Edelweiss, you should rather say removing orders.

Removing orders raises the difficulty
Removing Edelweiss lowers it (you don't have to protect it anymore), except in the rare cases where
smoke grenades
are useful.

El-Suave said:

I played the Edy Detachment mission(s). Nice dlc - 1 1/2 missions on a new map with fully voiced cutscenes of the talking head variety, no big CG movies of course. The first part of the mission is a 3 turn base defense, then you get to do some offense on the same map while also defending your base. Won't spoil any story details, I'll just say that I thought it was fun and worth the money. Although I can see some people bitching that it's a bit too short. Since I had to start the base defense over a few times, it was long enough for me. Finished with a C rating.

I also plan on picking up Edy and Salvaria's DLC, so stoked to play them. Keep the impressions coming!

Draikin 2

I honestly expected them to cancel the DLC altogether after the horrible sales and yet they still made it available to us. I bought all three without thinking twice.

Top Bottom