• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

B-Ri

Draikin 2 said:
I honestly expected them to cancel the DLC altogether after the horrible sales and yet they still made it available to us. I bought all three without thinking twice.

It doesnt exactly sell horribly when every copy released was purchased.

They didnt print that many copies of the damn game.

lol51

MoogPaul said:
Is my internet fucked up really bad or is this really going to take 60 minutes for a 85MB file over PSN?

It's been slow like that for me ever since 2.70.

(East Coast US/FIOS)

Darkpen

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

oh my god, the opening for the Edy Detachment :lol :lol :lol

<3 <3 <3 <3 I love it! The characters :lol :lol

Up until now, you only ever get to know the rest of your squad through reading their journal entries when you unlocked their potentials, but this... this is amazingly hilarious :lol :lol

Marina and Homer :lol

Darkpen

Banned
....I just noticed something

On the back of the box for Valkyria Chronicles, there's a logo for "PhysX by Nvidia"

That's just Nvidia's physics engine, right? Not that fancy Mirror's Edge thing? Or rather, its the same thing, but just nothing fancy and just the physics? D:

Darkpen said:

On the back of the box for Valkyria Chronicles, there's a logo for "PhysX by Nvidia"

That's just Nvidia's physics engine, right? Not that fancy Mirror's Edge thing? Or rather, its the same thing, but just nothing fancy and just the physics? D:

They're the same. Mirror's Edge for PC just utilizes a more advanced version.

neight

Banned
Darkpen said:

It's a PhysX SDK that runs on the CPU just like Havok. PhysX is used on the Wii too(NiGHTS 2).

I randomly got the urge to play this again this morning, so I pulled it out and popped it in. This is my 3rd play through, and I'm half way done with the game.

Every time I play I'm reminded of why I love this game. Such a brilliant game. I love the atmosphere and music... it reminds me of a Sega CD-era RPG.

Such a fantastic game. I wish Sega would give me a console Shining Force in this vein, but it looks like I'll have to live with Shining Force Feather.

FatalT

Banned
I'm up to Chapter 9 now, trying to stop the car. I bought all 3 of the DLC packs so I'm looking forward to getting into those. Since Valkyria Chronicles has gotten me back into RPG's, I'm thinking about picking up Disgaea 3 tomorrow.

Darkpen

Banned
man, the second mission is hard :(

Gonna try again tomorrow. Too sleepy D:

Spoiler discussion:
<3 Selvaria, why did you have to die? :( She's so sweet, and the dating-sim-esque bit was pretty funny, but I wonder how this chapter ends D: Playing this report makes me wish Selvaria lived :(

Wait, are there other side characters than Edy that actually have dialogue in Edy's Mission? I was skipping that since I don't care about Edy, but...

Nekobo

I haven't touch the game since December (halfway through), but I fired it up today just to grab all the DLC. Now time to finish the fight and then enjoy the DLC.

Any word on where the DLC scenarios fit into the game's plot?

Kum0

firehawk12 said:
Is there a link to a translation of the original Japanese script? I'd like to try to play it with Japanese voices some time.

You can play with Japanese voices and English Text. :D

Darkpen

Banned
B-B-Bomba! said:
Man ... When exactly did console gaming turn into PC gaming? /rhetorical
actually, the install was something like 2.4gb, so I didn't bother, since the install isn't mandatory. The load times aren't too bad, though, since I'm only playing DLC.

SiegfriedFM said:
Wait, are there other side characters than Edy that actually have dialogue in Edy's Mission? I was skipping that since I don't care about Edy, but...
then you're a damn fool. Why even buy the DLC if you're going to skip it?

Shadow780

saw this somewhere:lol

2ztj0g5.jpg

Darkpen said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

oh my god, the opening for the Edy Detachment :lol :lol :lol

<3 <3 <3 <3 I love it! The characters :lol :lol

Up until now, you only ever get to know the rest of your squad through reading their journal entries when you unlocked their potentials, but this... this is amazingly hilarious :lol :lol

Marina and Homer :lol

i totally agree.

it makes me wish they had either more dlc or more side missions in the game without the main characters.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Defuser said:
Since Entropay can't be used on US PSN,is there any way for me buy it? :(

still need help? If you want, I could put funds on your US account if you could put some on my euro one... I'm trying to get Outrun. I'm assuming you're in europe, sorry if you're not.

Baha

SiegfriedFM said:

All the side characters in the Edy dlc have dialogue.

Llyranor

For those who have the DLC Edy/Selvaria packs, are those standalone scenarios? Eg. Are they designed around preset class levels/equipment, or do they use your main game's stuff?

ianp622

Paracelsus said:
Thanks, it reminded me why I chose to never use English dub in this game.

I mean, Edy is really the only character that's annoying. The others aren't bad. In Selvaria's DLC, the voice actors are pretty weak, but not annoying.

zurra

man, this DLC is extremely awesome. Edy's mission is hilarious (omg all the best characters :lol :lol :lol ), Selvaria's mission reeeeally makes you even more attached to her character (and humanizes her! so well-done!), and the expert skirmishes are tough as nails. i only got through part of Selvaria's first mission because Johann walked into a shocktrooper (oops), but it's definitely one of those cases where a lot of reloading is going to be necessary to A rank it. the units other than Selvaria suck so bad! :lol

expert skirmishes make me cry. tried the first one a couple times, everyone dies after moving three feet. gonna need a lot of strategizing. maybe i should do the hard mode skirmishes first...

Llyranor

Preset, excellent. Guess I'll be buying the two scenario DLCs.

zurra: about what are your class levels? Is it balanced to be difficult even at maxed out classes?

zurra

my units are all level 20 with the best equipment i could get for them during the main game. if by balanced at max level you mean it's more like a puzzle where you have to find the exact strategy to not get annihilated, then yes, it's that! extremely challenging, but the rewards ought to be worth it. once i get all the bonus items from the DLC it's time to replay the game. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kum0 said:
You can play with Japanese voices and English Text. :D

Yeah, I know. My only problem is that the English script is semantically different from the Japanese script, which is just unfortunate.

Not saying that I need Welkin-san and Isara-chan, but I've heard that the plot differences between the two scripts is pretty substantial.

Top Bottom