• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Azrael

Picked up the Edy and Selvaria mission packs, passed on Hard Mode EX.

Just a warning, don't play Edy's mission if you haven't beaten the main game. There's a pretty big spoiler in there. The spoiler is implied and not spelled out, but if you have half a brain you'll know immediately what they're alluding to. I'm only on Chapter 11 (didn't pick up the game until the Gamestop sale) and had a major plot point spoiled.

ianp622

gokieks said:
Actually, the tone of delivery is one thing that someone *can* pick up even if he/she doesn't understand the language, and is something that is commonly lost in the dubbing process. That, more than anything else, is the main reason that I always prefer to hear everything (anime, film, games, ANYTHING) in its original language.

I know I don't pick it up easily, and from what I've read, Japanese intonation isn't exactly the same as English.

From

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=146407

I am an English teacher currently in Japan and I have a question about how to teach intonation. My problem is, the Japanese language has hardly any, as do other languages, and I don't know how to teach them...especially when they laugh at your "sing-song" accent!! Also, in some cultures it is sometimes considered "feminine" to talk like this. How can we spice up this monotone way of communicating and change this kind of thinking?? I would appreciate any help in this matter!

This link says there are similarities in intonation, but also says that Japanese words don't have stress. So it seems like you can pick up sentence-long intonations, but that mostly helps you determine whether something is a question or not.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1763135

ianp622

Keikoku said:
Question about Selvaria's DLC : Can I resume my game or do I have to play all the missions in one session ?

Save it in a separate file (not over a campaign save), and then you can resume from the save. But you can't play the second mission without playing the first one...first.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, this is bloody bloody impossible! I've tried everything to get rid of Musaad, but the fucker just won't budge. I've fired grenades at him and he doesn't fucking budge! I can't snipe him, he kills anyone I have approach him before they even get a chance to aim, not that it'd matter 'cause he's FUCKING CROUCHING!

EERRRRGGG!

Keikoku

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Okay, this is bloody bloody impossible! I've tried everything to get rid of Musaad, but the fucker just won't budge. I've fired grenades at him and he doesn't fucking budge! I can't snipe him, he kills anyone I have approach him before they even get a chance to aim, not that it'd matter 'cause he's FUCKING CROUCHING!

EERRRRGGG!

Same here.

gokieks

RurouniZel said:

EERRRRGGG!

He does the drop-evade a lot. Just save and keep trying to shoot grenades at him, and you can get him out of the trench.

Koren

ianp622 said:
I know I don't pick it up easily, and from what I've read, Japanese intonation isn't exactly the same as English.

This link says there are similarities in intonation, but also says that Japanese words don't have stress. So it seems like you can pick up sentence-long intonations, but that mostly helps you determine whether something is a question or not.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1763135
You're not talking about the right thing...

There's indeed no stress in japanese prononciation, but a (difficult to master) pitch system instead. In english (and many western languages), you put stress on some syllables. You need it to have a good prononciation, but people can understand you even if you're doing it wrong.

In japanese, rather than stressing a syllable, you switch between two tones (the fact that it's not local makes it quite difficult to master when you're not accustomed to). It's really useful to master the language. Some words have the same pronounciation, but different tone switching places : if you say HI desu or hi DEsu (where capitals stand for high pitch), you say it's fire / it's sun. Quite different. Plently of examples, just to bother students in japanese ^_^ But should you simply say hi desu, without pitch, people will probably understand with the context.

That being said, the way you put feeling in the sentences is pretty much the same in japanese, in english and in any other language. So there's really no problem understanding it, even if you don't speak the language at all.

(I personally uses japanese audio track simply to improve my japanese, but I played Valkyria with the english dub and enjoyed it, actually)

ianp622

RurouniZel said:

EERRRRGGG!

As I said, simply get him to face one way by sniping him from that direction, then bring up a sniper behind him and he won't dodge. One of the snipers has much better accuracy than Sy, forget him name though.

Koren said:
You're not talking about the right thing...

There's indeed no stress in japanese prononciation, but a (difficult to master) pitch system instead. In english (and many western languages), you put stress on some syllables. You need it to have a good prononciation, but people can understand you even if you're doing it wrong.

In japanese, rather than stressing a syllable, you switch between two tones (the fact that it's not local makes it quite difficult to master when you're not accustomed to). It's really useful to master the language. Some words have the same pronounciation, but different tone switching places : if you say HI desu or hi DEsu (where capitals stand for high pitch), you say it's fire / it's sun. Quite different. Plently of examples, just to bother students in japanese ^_^ But should you simply say hi desu, without pitch, people will probably understand with the context.

That being said, the way you put feeling in the sentences is pretty much the same in japanese, in english and in any other language. So there's really no problem understanding it, even if you don't speak the language at all.

(I personally uses japanese audio track simply to improve my japanese, but I played Valkyria with the english dub and enjoyed it, actually)

Ok, thanks for the correction.

Aru

Damn I made a fatal mistake :/
I've been killed in 1 shot by letting the back of the Edelweiss without protection.

ianp622

Aru said:
Damn I made a fatal mistake :/
I've been killed in 1 shot by letting the back of the Edelweiss without protection.

Yeah, and the stupid thing is it seems like no matter how much critical protection you put on it, it doesn't prevent you from getting 1 shotted.

buffi

Banned
Yay, finally manage to get A-rank on the first three Selvaria missions.

I'll save the fourth for tomorrow. This game is still easily the best thing produced this console generation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, before I try Edy's mission again (with the most awkward squad ever), I just wanted to confirm - there is a special A rank ending?

Keikoku

Banned
buffi said:
Yay, finally manage to get A-rank on the first three Selvaria missions.

What is the reward for this ?

EDIT : Wtf, I just completed the second mission for Behind her blue flame and the DLC ended. Only 2 missions ? Do I need to complete each missions with A-Rank to unlock the rest ?

ianp622

Keikoku said:
What is the reward for this ?

EDIT : Wtf, I just completed the second mission for Behind her blue flame and the DLC ended. Only 2 missions ? Do I need to complete each missions with A-Rank to unlock the rest ?

There are three missions available at the beginning: the first one, one you get if you destroy Damon's tank in the first one, and one you get if you don't destroy the tank. You have to get A on all three of these to unlock the fourth one.

RurouniZel

Finally, after five million tries (that's a lie, mind you), I finally beat that mission. Thank GOD I got an A rank or I'd have killed myself having to try that again. Sadly I only got a B rank in the first mission, so I'll have to try that again.

ianp622 said:
There are three missions available at the beginning: the first one, one you get if you destroy Damon's tank in the first one, and one you get if you don't destroy the tank. You have to get A on all three of these to unlock the fourth one.

Is that the tank at the very bottom? 'cause I destroyed it the first time (don't you have to to take the base?)

Keikoku

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Is that the tank at the very bottom? 'cause I destroyed it the first time (don't you have to to take the base?)

Yes you do. This isn't Damon's tank though, I destroyed it too. Must be somewhere else.

Some of y'all really need to watch your spoilers...pretty please?

Anyhoo, I was one of those that picked up this @ GameStop for $30. Been playing it quite a bit, and played it pretty much all day today. I'm just past the point where everybody I'm facing is Elite, so today I had to do a lot of skirmishing to get everybody in my squad up to scratch too.

I can definitely say I've been loving this game. I'm pretty picky with all RPGs--western and Japanese--but this game has kept my interest all the way through. If I had known I'd be enjoying it this much, there's no doubt I'd have paid $60 for this game. Even though I don't think I'll be jumping right into the DLC after I finish, (I don't like backlogging games) I'll certainly buy it, and support the franchise.

RurouniZel

Keikoku said:
Yes you do. This isn't Damon's tank though, I destroyed it too. Must be somewhere else.

Found it.
Lower left corner base.
Man that was hard to beat. Working on the new mission
which seems just like the other 2nd mission, only a lot harder! >>

Japanese has different intonational conventions than English (like not rising in pitch at the end of a question), but they're not really a big deal. You'll pick them up naturally if you really listen to how people speak, but even if you don't unless you're being really insistent with people you won't tick anybody off and will be pretty easily understood as long as your grammar and pronunciation are okay.

Most anime & dorama use a cheesy form of hyper-emotive melodramatic Japanese that bears no relation to how people talk in real life. Valkyria falls into this category.

zurra

For those people having trouble with Musaad:

I tried mortaring him out of the trench with my tank for an hour, but reconsidered and just mortared the barricade instead. that way johann could just zoom by without dying, heal, and onward ho. i then tried to kill him with selvaria and got eternally frustrated with his evasion. do you get anything for killing him anyway?

gokieks

zurra said:
For those people having trouble with Musaad:

I tried mortaring him out of the trench with my tank for an hour, but reconsidered and just mortared the barricade instead. that way johann could just zoom by without dying, heal, and onward ho. i then tried to kill him with selvaria and got eternally frustrated with his evasion. do you get anything for killing him anyway?

You get
a bit of dialogue between Karl/Johann and Otto about killing an Ace, with Karl/Johann being clueless as to what they are.

Koren

I just got all 3 DLC. Only tried Edy's mission yet, and found it really good.

I'm pretty pissed because I got a B
not because I wasn't ready for the order change, but because I decided to send a shocktrooper cleaning all the back alleys, but haven't choosed Edy for this... I could very well have finished it in 4 turns if the objective was "Bring someone to south" and not "Bring Edy to south".

Argh...

I also discovered something for the first time... Tanks can destroy watchtowers, and they can be repaired using a engineer. I'm the only one that managed to spend nearly 100h in the game and missed this detail ?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is this game going to be reprinted or anything? It seems like it's out of stock all over Vancouver.... I'm starting to wonder if I should just secure it on eBay (I really don't have the money, but I can tell I really don't want to miss out on this game).

zurra

gokieks said:
You get
a bit of dialogue between Karl/Johann and Otto about killing an Ace, with Karl/Johann being clueless as to what they are.
Ah, maybe I'll reload my save and go after him relentlessly just for that. :lol

Man, the final mission in Selvaria's DLC is SO AWESOME. You really can't spell slaughter without laughter...

ianp622

Koren said:
I also discovered something for the first time... Tanks can destroy watchtowers, and they can be repaired using a engineer. I'm the only one that managed to spend nearly 100h in the game and missed this detail ?

I've spend about 60 hours on it and I didn't know about it. Do you shoot the watchtower, or run into it? Anyway, thanks for the info!

Darkpen

Banned
ianp622 said:
I've spend about 60 hours on it and I didn't know about it. Do you shoot the watchtower, or run into it? Anyway, thanks for the info!
Koren and ianp: yes, you both spent all those hours and never knew you could "damage" the watchtowers with either rockets, tank rounds, or grenades. I don't remember how long ago it was that I noticed it (it was pretty early in the game), but I think it was most likely splash damage from either a grenade or the mortar round of a tank, but when you destroy the watchtower, the person on the top will get knocked down. Same thing happens (and quite often) if and when you leave someone at the top of the tower, and there's an enemy tank near by.

ianp622 said:
I've done it three times in a row actually (2 on the mission where you don't blow up the tank, 1 on the mission where you do). I mean that tank shell always got him out of the trench (or sandbag) for me, and if you have two snipers really far apart, even if the first misses, you can hit Musaad in the back so that he can't dodge.
Well, aren't you just darn lucky :/ When its the sandbag, he's easy to get standing, but when its the fucking trench...

Just gotta keep loading that save :/

but I don't need to because I A'd everything but the freaking bonus mission :/

Seriously, I don't know how I'm supposed to blitz around, especially when I can't give orders.

Hellion said:
Add the gametrailers video as another reason I'll never use jann in the game :lol :lol :lol :lol
lol, what video? I like Jann as a character, both in terms of his potentials and he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I'll never use him because he kinda creeps me out. The Edy Detachment made me fucking lawl, though :lol

ianp622 said:

A tank once shot my sniper out of a watchtower, a seemingly impossible shot from across the map, that's how I learnt about it.

Enjoyed the DLC, Selvarias is definitely the better value for money but they're both fun. Really nice to be playing this game again.

How I dealt with Mussad was to
get a shocktrooper to run in and grenade the barricades and then run Johann past him to regain control of Selvaria. Then I just ran her into the trench and right up to him, two attacks at point blank range killed him. Not very tactical, but got the job done :D

buffi

Banned
For Mussad.

On the level where you
didn't blow up the tank in map 1
I had
Selvaria run to one side of Mussad while taking fire to distract him, then I had my engineer throw a grenade at him to get him away from the trench. Selvaria then proceeded to rape him from behind killing him.

On the level where you
did blow up the tank in map 1
it is even easier. I had
a sniper positioned at the start position fire at him, making him look north, selvaria could then kill him from behind while he was still crouching (get close enough, all 20 hits need to hit).

masterkajo

I just finished both DLCs (Edy and Selvaria). But is it true that while you have 4 missions in the Selvaria DLC that you get only 1 in the Edy one? Kind of odd since both cost the same money... or am I mission something?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
painey said:
I was watching someone play this earlier and I think I will pick it up asap, but does it have trophies?

Not to my knowledge but I haven't kept up with it in the past month or 2.

ianp622

painey said:
I was watching someone play this earlier and I think I will pick it up asap, but does it have trophies?

No it doesn't, but please don't tell me that's going to affect your purchase.

RurouniZel

FINALLY!!! 3 turns!!! excellent!! XD

Not 3 turns for the first mission, this is for the DLC Selvaria mission you get after
destroying Damon's tank in the first mission.

Strategy (spoilered for those who don't want to see):
Setup : Selvaria (gassed), Johann/Karl (required), 2 lancers, 1 sniper, and one scout (I filled in the rest with random others, preferably red uniforms if I had them, which I had very little of). Position Lancers at ends of the line (one on each side). Other positions do not matter.

First Phase: Starting CP: 8
- Take left side lancer, advance slightly and fire one shot at enemy tank. Withdraw slightly so that Musaad can't fire and do lots of damage to him. End turn
- Take right side lancer, advance slightly and fire one shot at enemy tank. Enemy tank destroyed. Withdraw slightly so that Musaad can't fire and do lots of damage to him. End turn.

End phase. Total CP used: 2

(lots of praying that enemy fire does not kill anyone)

(save)

Second Phase: Starting CP: 14
- Take left side lancer, advance slightly and fire one shot at left heavy gun turret. Left heavy gun turret destroyed. Withdraw slightly so that Mussad can't fire and do lots of damage to him. End turn.
- Take right side lancer, advance slightly and fire one shot at right heavy gun turret. Right heavy gun turret destroyed. Withdraw slightly so that Mussad can't fire and do lots of damage to him. End turn. (recommend save when finished)
- Select tank, fire grenade at Musaad. Then advance tank and do what you can to create a barricade blocking Mussad and Shocktrooper shots to right side. In other words, position the tank as a shield so that Johann/Karl can get through without being shot. Make sure to leave enough room at the edge for Johann/Karl to slip through (this took a zillion tries, and was easily the hardest part for me, which is why I recommend saving after the previous step). End turn.
- Using 2 turns (it's going to take 2), advance Johann down the right side, past the tank shield, and make quick right to Selvaria. After scene, quickly crouch, use Ragnite if necessary, and end turn. At this point I saved in a new slot (so that I could go back if necessary) and had 8 CP left.
- Move Selvaria into center map in front of two gun turrets and destroy right heavy gun turret. Right heavy gun turret destroyed. Advance slightly running past the gun turret on the left (it won't fire at you) so as not to waste her entire movement, but not too terribly far yet (you want to destroy it in the turn after next). End turn.
- During Selvaria's movement, Musaad should have turned and started shooting at her, which means his back is now completely turned to the Citadel. Select sniper, aim at his head and let the fucker fly. Musaad killed. End turn.
- Select Selvaria, destroy left heavy gun turret. Left heavy gun turret destroyed. Using her remaining running bar, run toward the tank in the bottom left (there's a sniper tower there as well). End turn.
- Select Selvaira, shoot weak tank spot. Enemy Tank destroyed. Run as far back to the center near the barricade that Johann/Karl will have to destroy next phase. End turn.
- Move Scout into enemy base and crouch inside it. End turn.

End phase: Total CP used: 11

At this point, your regular units (except the scout guarding your base) don't matter, so if they die don't fret (so long as not too many die, you'll need a few CP at least). From here it's Johann/Karl and Selvaria the rest of the way.

(save)

Third phase: Starting CP: At least 4 (I had 11)
- Bring Johann/Karl out of trench, run straight up center and destroy barricade. Most likely the enemy have advance two Shocktroopers further down so it's not advised to bring him further. Hide behind a wall and end turn.
- Select Selvaria, run through the newly created opening, and run straight past the shocktroopers (don't waste a turn killing them, it's the turrets that are going to kill you). Duck behind a sand barricade, aim, and fire at right heavy gun turret. Right heavy gun turret destroyed. Immediately end turn.
- Select Selvaria again, immediately pressing R1 to avoid taking too much fire. Aim and fire at left heavy gun turret. Left heavy gun turret destroyed. Using remaining run gauge, run up left side to the only sand barricade on the left before the tank, crouch, and end turn.
- Select Selvaria, jump over the barricade, and run to the base quickly. Hopefully you'll have enough HP to withstand the tank.

Operation Complete.

Phases: 3
Grade: A

Keikoku

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Found it.
Lower left corner base.
Man that was hard to beat. Working on the new mission
which seems just like the other 2nd mission, only a lot harder! >>

You can't reach this base with Selvaria, right ? The stairs are blocked by black barricades (the ones you can't destroy)

This is going to be hard indeed :(

Rurounizel said:
FINALLY!!! 3 turns!!! excellent!! XD

How did you get A rank for the first mission btw ? I'm trying so hard but the best I can do is 4 turns :(

RurouniZel

Keikoku said:
You can't reach this base with Selvaria, right ? The stairs are blocked by black barricades (the ones you can't destroy)

This is going to be hard indeed :(

How did you get A rank for the first mission btw ? I'm trying so hard but the best I can do is 4 turns :(

Regarding your first question:
Correct, Selvaria cannot reach this tank, unless you go ALL the way around, past the base she has to capture to end the mission. I did not get an A destroying his tank as it took some 10 turns for me I think).

I'm going to have to retrace my steps for the first mission A rank, I didn't write it down. :(

Keikoku

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Regarding your first question:
Correct, Selvaria cannot reach this tank, unless you go ALL the way around, past the base she has to capture to end the mission. I did not get an A destroying his tank as it took some 10 turns for me I think).

I'm going to have to retrace my steps for the first mission A rank, I didn't write it down. :(

Thanks a lot. Actually, I did all the way around and the final stairs were blocked by black barricades. So it's definitely impossible for Selvaria to reach the tank.

RurouniZel

Keikoku said:
Thanks a lot. Actually, I did all the way around and the final stairs were blocked by black barricades. So it's definitely impossible for Selvaria to reach the tank.

Good to know. :)

EDIT: Retraced, how to complete first Selvaria DLC mission in 3 phases (spoilered)

Setup: Selvaria (required), Johann/Karl (required), Tank (required). The base has room for 6, put as many red uniforms as possible and ended up with 2 shocktroopers on left side, 1 shock trooper and 1 scout on right side, and 2 lancers on the inside. (I didn't use the lancers, and the shocktroopers are mostly just protection).

Phase 1: Starting CP: 9
- Select Selvaria, advance past lancer and all the way to stairs just before the sniper, and kill. Sniper killed. Use remaining run gauge to go to inbetween buildings (or at least in same direction as). End turn
- Select Selvaria, running between the buildings bypassing the first shocktrooper and approaching second. Kill second shocktrooper. Shocktrooper killed. Run as far as you can toward the 4 barricades (she'll most likely get to just in front of the 2nd one. End turn.
- Select Shocktrooper on right side of base, approach Scout slightly and kill. Scout killed. Return to base and crouch, facing left. End turn. NOTE: This scout may dodge, but you can't allow that. If he does, this method may not work as he may kill Johann/Karl in the second phase).
- Select Johann/Karl and advance the same path as Selvaria. Use 3 turns to get as close as you can (you won't get as far as she did in two. Bitch. XD)

End phase: CP used: 6

(pray not too many of your people are killed, save if all survive).

Second Phase: Starting CP: 12
- Select Johann/Karl and destroy 2nd set of barricades (of 4). Run through 2nd barricade and around the others. Turn right down stairs and right at tower to not face the tank. End turn.
- Select Selvaria, run past barricades and to Scout on right of tower, and kill Scout. Scout killed. run toward next barricade and end turn. NOTE: Scout may dodge; if he does, ignore him and keep running toward the next barricade. Johann/Karl will take damage but if you move quickly and efficiently enough, it won't be enough to kill him. End turn.
- Select Johann/Karl, advance past dead scout (or run like the dickens if he's still alive) and up stairs. Destroy barricade, but keep as far to the right as possible so as not to alert the shocktrooper ahead. End turn.
- Advance Selvaria to shocktrooper and kill. Shocktrooper killed. Advance as far as you can to barricade and end turn.
- Advance Johann/Karl and destroy 2nd barricade. End turn.

End phase: CP used: 5

(pray and save)

Third phase: Starting CP: 15 (need 3)
- Select Selvaria down stairs and kill shocktrooper placed there. Shocktrooper killed. NOTE: If he dodges, reload. He must go, 'cause Johann/Karl will die if he tries to run past him. Run down to the barricade where another shocktrooper awaits on the other side. End turn.
- Select Johann/Karl, run down the stairs and when you reach the bottom, hug the building so as to not get shot by the shocktrooper. Use grenade and destroy barricade. End turn.
- Run past shocktrooper toward back of tank and destroy. Enemy tank destroyed. Occupy Base.

Operation Completed.
Phases: 3
Grade: A

painey said:

YES IT HAZ TROFEEZ!!!1 GO BUY IT NAO!!!!

if trophies are your only reason to not buy this game, we don't want you here.

ianp622

Do you know if you get anything for Aceing all 4 of Selvaria's missions? You don't have to tell me what it is, I just wanted to know if I should try for it.

Baha

ianp622 said:
Do you know if you get anything for Aceing all 4 of Selvaria's missions? You don't have to tell me what it is, I just wanted to know if I should try for it.

I think there is a reward for doing so. By acing you mean A ranking them all right?

RurouniZel

ianp622 said:

If I find out I'll let you know. I'm taking a break as this has (so far) consumed my entire weekend.

Keikoku

Banned
Ok I finally managed to destroy Damon's tank during the first mission, and then I still had to capture the final base to complete it :lol Was fucking hard but I did it. But now the next mission is just the same as before... wasn't that supposed to unlock a new mission ? Maybe the next one ?

NvM the mission is actually different and it seems fucking hard. I think I'll never see the final mission of this DLC.

Top Bottom