• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

I watched the first two episodes of the anime and it actually seemed really good
it still had the charm of the game and didn't deviate too much from the story
good enough impression for me to follow it for a while

Diablos

Downloaded the Selvaria DLC, and damn, the first map is hard.

That it was available when I finally fired up my PS3 for the first time in forever made my weekend! Which is kinda nice, since I'm sick and can't really enjoy the nice weather anyway.

Snipes424

So my copy just came from amazon, and I must say this game is amazing! I really wish more games would go this route for graphics, yes realism is a good benchmark to have, but this game is truly a painting come to life.

quick question, to get the top rank, is it all about winning the match in the least amount of turns possible?

Baha

Snipes424 said:
So my copy just came from amazon, and I must say this game is amazing! I really wish more games would go this route for graphics, yes realism is a good benchmark to have, but this game is truly a painting come to life.

quick question, to get the top rank, is it all about winning the match in the least amount of turns possible?

Yes. I'd suggest saving that for a 2nd playthrough since you'll be able to redo missions on new game+.

Snipes424 said:

Yes, as Baha said. Don't bother with getting top rank. It actually ruins the game experience. You can always scab for experience and money in skirmishes anyway.

Snipes424

Just beat the battle in chapter 7 (I think), it was the one with
the tank and the crazy godmode girl that fucks everyone up
. It was pretty damn hard for me, but very enjoyable, and the story so far is really really fucking good. Can't wait to get through some more chapters to see what happens.

Snipes424 said:
Just beat the battle in chapter 7 (I think), it was the one with
the tank and the crazy godmode girl that fucks everyone up
. It was pretty damn hard for me, but very enjoyable, and the story so far is really really fucking good. Can't wait to get through some more chapters to see what happens.

Haha yeah, that chapter was so intense. The music and everything literally had me quivering. It's the first time I've gotten so emotionally charged in a game in a VERY long time (last time I got like that was playing Final Fantasy 1 for the NES when I was trying to leave the marsh, with two dead party members, and two near dying, poisoned mages, with no potions, spells, or antidotes left)

I wonder if the anime will be that intense at that scene.

Snipes424 said:
Yeah level 7 took me 15, I guess 10 is another hard one?

Yeah, it's pretty tough. Mostly it took me so long because I brought lots of Shocktroopers and Lancers, and I probably should have divided my force up better.

Zen

Banned
I think I'll finally get around to beating this... I might get the DLC after a period of time to.

So how has it been selling in the US? Crawled to +100k maybe? Wasn't it the 5th highest selling PS3 game last month by some freak luck of becoming a sleeper hit of sorts?

RpgN

The best version sold another 4,900 copies this week reaching exactly 30k LTD according to Famitsu. Less than 20k copies left and the game will have sold 200k LTD including the best version :) I think I read somewhere it's the best selling Best release on the ps3, that will change when MGS4 budget release comes out in June most probably.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Like I predicted, Valkyria Chronicles the anime was being subbed by everyone and their uncle, now it is a veritable ghost town.

The sad part is that the anime is NOT THAT BAD, so why did they rush to drop it?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Like I predicted, Valkyria Chronicles the anime was being subbed by everyone and their uncle, now it is a veritable ghost town.

The sad part is that the anime is NOT THAT BAD, so why did they rush to drop it?

I'm still doing it! Well, episode 3 was out the other day and 4 is coming along. We won't be dropping it, don't worry.

Darkpen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

2daxbiq.jpg

Hcoregamer00

CO_Andy said:
I'll be sure to watch your group's next release. Your profile came in handy!

Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea it was in her profile.

Kagari, get some money to go to fly over here for Anime Expo.

Hcoregamer00

Gotta love 4chan and the pics they always put up of Alicia's reactions

f5a7eadd.jpg

ea839068.jpg

29ea0cac.jpg

caf95386.jpg

be30a371.jpg

I haven't seen such an expressive anime character since Yumi from Maria-sama Ga Miteru.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea it was in her profile.

Kagari, get some money to go to fly over here for Anime Expo.

I wish I could go to AX. I'll be at Anime Central this year though in Chicago since I'm about 2 hours from it. Will be speaking there even.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
I wish I could go to AX. I'll be at Anime Central this year though in Chicago since I'm about 2 hours from it. Will be speaking there even.

Nice, look for Cosplay pictures of Valkyria Chronicles.

You bet that I will do the same during AX, and then subsequently post them in this thread.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice, look for Cosplay pictures of Valkyria Chronicles.

You bet that I will do the same during AX, and then subsequently post them in this thread.

I wasn't going to go at first, but they actually managed to get a good band in this year... m.o.v.e. , if you know them. And I'm basically in on a staff pass since I'm part of an industry panel... lol. So I suppose I'll go.

gokieks

Hcoregamer00 said:

It's only been a few days since Ep. 4 aired, aren't you over-reacting a bit?

Doremi has released Ep. 4 already, Ayako is still subbing it, AnY-Conclave is still subbing it, and most of the other groups weren't really uber-fast speed groups anyway.

Hcoregamer00

gokieks said:
It's only been a few days since Ep. 4 aired, aren't you over-reacting a bit?

Doremi has released Ep. 4 already, Ayako is still subbing it, AnY-Conclave is still subbing it, and most of the other groups weren't really uber-fast speed groups anyway.

True, it may be a little bit of an over reaction, but all the subbers dropping the excellent anime version Tales of the Abyss left me with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Which is why I just bypass all the fansubs and watch it in Japanese.

gokieks

Hcoregamer00 said:
True, it may be a little bit of an over reaction, but all the subbers dropping the excellent anime version Tales of the Abyss left me with a very sour taste in my mouth.

You must've watched a very different version of TotA than I did, because I had to force myself to finish it - just about every other episode between around 12 and 20 made me wonder why I was still watching the show.

And it did eventually get finished by AbyssalChronicles, within about 2 weeks of the final episode's air date - hardly a very long time in the grand scheme of things.

gokieks

Tylahedras said:
Does this game have trophies?

:D

Yes it does. So go buy it. :D

Seriously should just respond yes to all the fools who are (seriously) asking that question once every other week.

Hcoregamer00 said:

Huh? There are currently 4 ongoing English sub projects if anidb.net is anything to go by, Ayako (speed-subbers), Twilight Revelation/Doremi, AnimeYuki/Conclave (hi Kagari!), and some guys I never heard of before called Seibar. We're not talking about Code Geass here so you can't expect there to be like 50 active projects in 10 languages, and even so there are plenty of sub projects ongoing. I don't see what the problem is.

I like the AnY-Conclave releases the best personally, but I've been watching twrev-Doremi first since Conclave always takes their time with releases. If only Conclave were a bit faster, I wouldn't have to deal with the occasionally questionable mangled English in the twrev-Doremi releases. Hint, hint. ;)

painey

bought it yesterday for £20. Amazing so far. I think I saw the same box that I picked up on the shelf 5 months ago, not a great sign for big sales over here.

Tylahedras said:
Does this game have trophies?

:D

Didn't you post on his very page that you own and are playing the game?

You must be trying to rile up these 'every other page' fellows. :lol

I keep switching between Demon's Souls and this, which is a nice contrast given the fucking brutal difficulty of DS.

Darkpen

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Fansubbing Is Serious Business

Bonus points for the blog's URL, which literally says the same thing.

Kagari, I think somebody on the Internet doesn't like you very much. ;)
8. [06:47]
そのスケッチはヒカリマスの文様を書き留めるためで。ブルール近辺のヒカリマスは体の文様に特徴があるんだ。
Literal: That sketch is used to record the pattern of the shining/light trout. There is something special about the pattern on the body of the shining/light trout around Bruhl.

AnY-Conclave: I made that sketch to confirm their pattern since the light trout in Bruhl are special.
Ayako: I sketched it to record the patterns on the trout’s body. The shining trout around Bruhl have an especially fascinating pattern.
Seibar: I made a sketch to document the trout’s appearance. The shining trout near Bruhl have an especially unique pattern!
twrev-Doremi: That sketch was done to catch their pattern, because those near Bruhl have a special pattern.

Comment:
A-C used “confirm” instead of “record”. t-D used “catch”. Wat?

Score: A-C: -1, Ayako: 0, Seibar: 0, t-D: -0.5
:lol

Unknown Soldier said:
Fansubbing Is Serious Business

Bonus points for the blog's URL, which literally says the same thing.

Kagari, I think somebody on the Internet doesn't like you very much. ;)

Interesting read... I have to say though that some of these subtle differences do change the overall meaning.

It's a little more irritating when everyone else interprets it the same way, while one group interprets it a different way.

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Oh for crying out loud. Doom and glooming from you again. The last fansub was up within a week.

painey

so I've unlocked my first skirmish and played it (great fun, I loved moving my snipers around to take out the enemies and I love how the characters have their own perks - I have an old man who hates to crouch and a bisexual soldier :lol ) but Im a little worried about Tank warfare, as I didnt even move my Tank in the first battle and Im wondering do you have to have a tank in every fight, because I enjoy the soldier aspect more.

painey said:
so I've unlocked my first skirmish and played it (great fun, I loved moving my snipers around to take out the enemies and I love how the characters have their own perks - I have an old man who hates to crouch and a bisexual soldier :lol ) but Im a little worried about Tank warfare, as I didnt even move my Tank in the first battle and Im wondering do you have to have a tank in every fight, because I enjoy the soldier aspect more.

The tank is in every mission except for one, up to where I'm at. 11 or 12.

Quixzlizx

painey said:

A lot of the time you don't even use your tank if you want to A-rank missions.

Top Bottom