• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

ianp622

Keikoku said:
Ok I finally managed to destroy Damon's tank during the first mission, and then I still had to capture the final base to complete it :lol Was fucking hard but I did it. But now the next mission is just the same as before... wasn't that supposed to unlock a new mission ? Maybe the next one ?

The differences seem subtle at first. Did you get past the briefing? You'll see Selvaria is in a different position and the unit layouts are different.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
ianp622 said:
The differences seem subtle at first. Did you get past the briefing? You'll see Selvaria is in a different position and the unit layouts are different.

Yep, it's different. The walkthrough I did on the previous page applies to this mission, not the one where you leave his tank alone and just capture the base.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Question about Johan.

Isn't Oswald the Iron one of the Imperial aces in the main campaign? Does that mean we killed Johan?

Keikoku

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Yep, it's different. The walkthrough I did on the previous page applies to this mission, not the one where you leave his tank alone and just capture the base.

Oh I didn't see that you made that one too. That's awesome dude, thanks.

@Saiyar : yeah, his name reminded me of someone too.

Paracelsus

Keikoku said:
NvM the mission is actually different and it seems fucking hard. I think I'll never see the final mission of this DLC.

Only one suggestion:

Try to break through the center, defeating Musaad and the tank. Sounds like the hardest route but it's actually the easiest.

RurouniZel

ianp622 said:
Do you know if you get anything for Aceing all 4 of Selvaria's missions? You don't have to tell me what it is, I just wanted to know if I should try for it.

You get a bonus for acing the first 2. I just completed the 4th mission with an A and it didn't unlock anything (not that it told me anyway). Ah well. :p

4th mission requires only 3 phases to get an A. I can post a walkthrough if it's wanted.

ianp622

RurouniZel said:
You get a bonus for acing the first 2. I just completed the 4th mission with an A and it didn't unlock anything (not that it told me anyway). Ah well. :p

4th mission requires only 3 phases to get an A. I can post a walkthrough if it's wanted.

I'm probably not going to try for an A. I got a B, and it seems like if I want an A I'm going to have to actually use my regular guys for serious business. It was fun just
blasting stuff away as Selvaria

RurouniZel

ianp622 said:
I'm probably not going to try for an A. I got a B, and it seems like if I want an A I'm going to have to actually use my regular guys for serious business. It was fun just
blasting stuff away as Selvaria

You'd be surprised, I only used the regular army dudes for 5 turns in all 3 phases (three characters, 2 used twice). The rest was all Selvaria and Johann/Karl (I'm not calling him regular army, even though he kinda is). :p

Volcynika

Sega's sponsoring a contest at good ole vg chartzzzzz

http://tinyurl.com/d7p934

In 500 words or less, tell us the best Valkyria Chronicles story you can. You can make the story as accurate as you want. It just needs to be set in the Valkyria Chronicles universe. Use your imagination!

Send your entry to contest@********.com with the subject line "Valkyria Chronicles Contest" by 5 pm PDT on Monday April 27th. This is only open to ******** members, so if you have not signed up yet you can sign up for a free account here. Winners will be announced around a week after the contest closes.

The Prizes:
Five Runners up will receive an awesome Valkyria Chronicles Art Book (pictured below). These were originally only available to those who preordered the game through Gamestop. You can see the game come to life from concept art to final illustrations in this exclusive art book featuring 32 pages of beautiful concept art.
One Grand Prize winner will receive a set of four, rare Valkyria Chronicles figurines that come straight from Japan!

The site is lame, but hey! Valkyria stuff!

How do you get the other mission on the Selvaria DLC? There is 4 isn't there?

I've B ranked the 2 missions and then it's the end. I know you have to A rank all missions to unlock a bonus one but where's the third?

gokieks

Katana_Strikes said:
How do you get the other mission on the Selvaria DLC? There is 4 isn't there?

I've B ranked the 2 missions and then it's the end. I know you have to A rank all missions to unlock a bonus one but where's the third?

The second mission changes depending on whether you destroyed Damon's tank in the first mission.

Darkpen

Banned
Volcynika said:
Sega's sponsoring a contest at good ole vg chartzzzzz

http://tinyurl.com/d7p934

The site is lame, but hey! Valkyria stuff!
lol, they sure are trying to get rid of those extra preorder books. I fucking can't believe that the artbook is being sold from $30-50 on ebay o_O

If the Sega blog didn't say so themselves, I would have never known that this little book in front of me costs that much :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
lol, they sure are trying to get rid of those extra preorder books. I fucking can't believe that the artbook is being sold from $30-50 on ebay o_O

If the Sega blog didn't say so themselves, I would have never known that this little book in front of me costs that much :lol

It is a pity they cost so much, because it really was nothing all that impressive.

Isn't a 200+ page artbook coming out in Japan pretty soon? It should be pretty ubiquitous in Japanese retailers like Kinokuniya.

Keikoku

Banned
Completed the third mission with an A rank :D Thanks to your awesome walkthrough Rurounizel ! The only thing I would add is about the final rush with Selvaria : it's been very useful for me to use a defense order on her for this part, I reach the final base without losing many HPs.

Darkpen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
It is a pity they cost so much, because it really was nothing all that impressive.

Isn't a 200+ page artbook coming out in Japan pretty soon? It should be pretty ubiquitous in Japanese retailers like Kinokuniya.
The developer commentary in the back is nice, and seeing the concept art is nice too, but yeah, its nothing special :/

Keikoku said:
Completed the third mission with an A rank :D Thanks to your awesome walkthrough Rurounizel ! The only thing I would add is about the final rush with Selvaria : it's been very useful for me to use a defense order on her for this part, I reach the final base without losing many HPs.
Yep, that's what I did as well. Defense order helps a lot for Selvaria

RurouniZel

Keikoku said:

Ah, I forgot about the orders. I always forget to use them. XD

It felt like, recently, there was a renewed interest in VC, but I thought it was all my imagination. Doesn't help that I replayed through the game this weekend.

Glad to hear it's finally getting the respect it deserves.

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
Too bad those figures are LAME YUJIN CRAP!

Too bad the artbook is also lame.

Can't wait for the official one! When is it supposed to be out?

Aww, I like my Elanor and Isara figure.

I wouldn't mind buying the new set, but it seem that Play-asia is being assholes and not purchasing ANYTHING valkyria chronicles related.

Finally got round to starting up the DLC. Daaaaaaaaaamn its good stuff. Edy mission gave me a fair bit of trouble before I learned where the enemies were spawning (like...right in the same street as my Base Camp, bit unfair!) and now starting on the main course, the Selvaria missions.

I know by the time I'm done with this I will be absolutely ravenous for more Valkyria. More DLC, a full sequel, a portable outing. Just give it to me. What a fantastic game it is.

Defuser

1239414037803.jpg

I bet some of you gaffers here know what this picture means.

Pachael

Defuser said:
1239414037803.jpg

In the first episode I was thinking 'Gee, this must be how Minami-ke would be like if it were set in a warzone?'

I miss the 'I AM BOSS' shirt though.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, big spoiler so um don't read unless you're far in the game, or don't mind being spoiled.
I am sick and tired of SRPGs killing off main characters in cut scenes. Honestly I didn't really like who died, plus the actual scene was kinda stupid and obvious... but that's not the point. Why should I bother keeping the characters alive during missions if at any moment they can just be killed by the almighty writer? Things like that should be based on your performance in the game. I A ranked that freaking mission, too.

I wish more SRPGs would have it so your actual performance would have some effect on the story. Old non SRPG games like Wing Commander at least had mission success determine how the plot played out, but SRPGs like Valkyria Chronicles have the actual gameplay so disconnected from the story you might as well be playing a game of Tetris to unlock the next story sequence.

Darkpen

Banned
Defuser said:
1239414037803.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Okay, there's some serious meta humor in that, both intentional and unintentional
(I recently listened to the lonely islands :p)
, but yeah, hearing Kana's voice is fucking weird :lol

Hcoregamer00

Defuser said:
1239414037803.jpg

LOL, I saw that while perusing a Valkyria Chronicles Anime discussion in 4chan.

It was also mixed with other crap like "Alicia the tsundere" and "The many faces of Alicia"

:/

patsu

Where did you get that picture from ? :)

I don't mind the inconsistent art style (probably due to lower budget) if the producers know that, and try to establish or compensate the anime separately based on its own merits (e.g., richer story).

mclem

Galactic Fork said:
I wish more SRPGs would have it so your actual performance would have some effect on the story. Old non SRPG games like Wing Commander at least had mission success determine how the plot played out, but SRPGs like Valkyria Chronicles have the actual gameplay so disconnected from the story you might as well be playing a game of Tetris to unlock the next story sequence.
Spirit

Dead to Rights said:
Please help me GAF, is this a good deal for Valkyria Chronicles? I just can't decide.

I am selling a "Gamestop NEW" (also known as gutted) PS3 game entitled Valkria Chronicles. This is extremely rare to find in this state considering most other "new" / "sealed" games don't have the scratches on the disc nor the fingerprint smudges nor the somehow missing instruction manual that this version has. Honestly, your sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII or Contra Force pales in comparison to this game as a Gamestop employee has already tested it out to make sure it works. Are you sure your Y-fold FFVII will even work? I was going to include a "Gamestop NEW" Chrono Trigger DS game but thought better as that probably entertained an employee when they were in the loo. For an additional fee I can attempt to remove these unholy sticker but I cannot guarantee the case, coverart or game will remain undamaged. Also, notice the Circle-Fold seal in the picture below as evidence this was sealed by an actual gamestop employee and not me.

Q: I heard that sometimes Gamestop employees sometimes take these rare jems home and even play the game until the very end. Thus ensuring that the manufacturer didnt ship a copy that you couldnt complete. Do you know if your item is one of these rare Gamestop certified complete test driven take home copies?

A: Most New games I get from Gamestop tend to be scratched to all hell and the instructions book in shambles so I would expect this to be the same but can't guarantee it.

Q: Do you know that you’re selling a 60 dollar video game for $5000? (!!!) A response is not necessary . . . the less said the better right?

A: Actually you are mistaken. I purchased this game for $26.99 because I used a 10% gameday coupon and I am selling it for a bit less than $5,000. If you believe that to be too much I'm open to a more reasonable offer. Thanks for the interest.

Q: Can you send me pics of the finger smudges on the disc? I have trouble believing you got your hands on such a rare item...

A: Sorry, but opening the Circle-fold will devalue this item to a mere used copy. Thanks for asking though.

:lol

ianp622

Hard-EX is Expert mode for all of the skirmishes. These generally include different layouts, and sometimes different objectives.

Edy Detachment is just one long mission with 4 alternate endings.

Selvaria is 4 missions, but they are variants on 2 maps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ianp622 said:
Hard-EX is Expert mode for all of the skirmishes. These generally include different layouts, and sometimes different objectives.

Edy Detachment is just one long mission with 4 alternate endings.

Selvaria is 4 missions, but they are variants on 2 maps.

Damn, $5 for one mission? From the looks of what they released, all 3 of those should have been released for $5 as a pack.

gregor7777 said:

Actually, the guy that put up this $5000 VC listing is pretty smart. It's his own little viral marketing. I'm sure there are some people that are curious to see what other items he's selling and check out more of his stuff (like me).

Now I'm tempted to buy his Umbrella Chronicles wii zapper, and Ar Tonelico 2.

radiantdreamer said:
Actually, the guy that put up this $5000 VC listing is pretty smart. It's his own little viral marketing. I'm sure there are some people that are curious to see what other items he's selling and check out more of his stuff (like me).

Now I'm tempted to buy his Umbrella Chronicles wii zapper, and Ar Tonelico 2.

Yeah, I mean it's obviously intentionally there to be funny and to attract attention.

Volcynika

If you're a fan of Valkyria Chronicles on Facebook (Facebook users should understand this), they're giving away a free DLC code (one of the DLCs, you get to pick probably) around 3PM Pacific time.

Hcoregamer00

The_Inquisitor said:
What the hell did they do to the story in the anime. I just watched episode three of the anime and. Wow....:lol :lol :lol

Valkyria Chronicles: Aka "The Many Faces of Anime Alicia"

7970a5a1.jpg

556c833b.png

71948b3a.jpg

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
Valkyria Chronicles: Aka "The Many Faces of Anime Alicia"
I haven't watched the anime yet, but those pictures really make it seem like they made Alicia a tsundere. Did that actually happen?

Top Bottom