• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, the PSP is dead in the west.

Hopefully Valkyria 2 gets a PS2 or Wii release to make up for it.

Or even better...Sony could allow PSP emulation on the PS3.

Never going to happen though XD (you'll never know...)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Eternal Sleeper said:
Or even better...Sony could allow PSP emulation on the PS3.

Never going to happen though XD (you'll never know...)

Not going to happen, a Wii port will happen before that.

AKA No chance in hell.

Giolon

Well, SF Kinokuniya got back to me and told me they put in a pre-order for the art book for me and said they'll e-mail me when it comes in. They didn't give me any info on how much they're going to charge me for it though - hopefully less than Play-Asia's $65. o_0 Those who live nearby one may want to check in.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Well, SF Kinokuniya got back to me and told me they put in a pre-order for the art book for me and said they'll e-mail me when it comes in. They didn't give me any info on how much they're going to charge me for it though - hopefully less than Play-Asia's $65. o_0 Those who live nearby one may want to check in.

Let me know because I got a preorder from Kinokuniya

Haunted

radiantdreamer said:
It's a general consensus now that the demo sucks balls. It sucked so much that it wasn't able to move sales, and probably actually decreased sales. Knowing this frustrates me to no end.
bs

The demo was what sold me on the game. 10 minutes with it and I had that fucker ordered. The demo thread on GAF was full of positive impressions.

Alex

I had planned on buying the game, but the demo def didn't hurt my opinion. I think they could've picked a more interesting stage, but it did a good job of showing itself as a level headed, well designed Japanese SRPG, which are as rare as it gets IMO.

I also pulled the trigger on the DLC now. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

TTG

Picked this game up for 20$. I have no real interest in strategy RPGs or anything but it's from the Skies of Arcadia team and looks great. Glad to see the official thread is still active.

Darkpen

Banned
Giolon said:
I'll drop by there and ask D:

Hcoregamer00

Alex said:
I had planned on buying the game, but the demo def didn't hurt my opinion. I think they could've picked a more interesting stage, but it did a good job of showing itself as a level headed, well designed Japanese SRPG, which are as rare as it gets IMO.

I also pulled the trigger on the DLC now. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

Part of the brilliance of the Demo was that it was a simple way to show off the basic mechanics behind the gameplay.

If anything, it does even more wonders because the actual game expanded upon that and showed what the brilliant scenarios and maps that sega could come up with. If anything, having a better map would have done a disservice to the audience who had to come to grips with the basics first.

Cheech

radiantdreamer said:
It's a general consensus now that the demo sucks balls. It sucked so much that it wasn't able to move sales, and probably actually decreased sales. Knowing this frustrates me to no end.

Yeah, this is why I never picked it up at launch either. A buddy of mine bought it for $20 over Christmas break, raved about it, so I bought a copy too. Wow. If I hadn't played that wretched demo, I probably would have bought it at launch. In fact, I remember having this conversation at launch:

"Yeah, this game sucks. I start it up, shoot a few rounds, and then the guy just sits there. I can run around a little bit, but then I just stop and I can't move anymore. Yet, the other dude keeps shooting me, and I can't do anything. Screw this."

Geneijin

So there's no way to not retain my levels and stuff when loading a cleared save? I rather start a brand new new game at this rate.

Giolon

Geneijin said:
So there's no way to not retain my levels and stuff when loading a cleared save? I rather start a brand new new game at this rate.

That's the entire point of the clear save (along with enabling hard difficulty skirmishes). Start a new one if you want it to be new.

Geneijin

Giolon said:
That's the entire point of the clear save (along with enabling hard difficulty skirmishes). Start a new one if you want it to be new.

I don't want everything gone. It's just that when I'm redoing the story missions to score an A rank with my upgraded equipment, I feel no satisfaction from doing so because of my overpowered equipment. Only thing I'm disappointed with the new game+. So I think I'm fine with the levels really now that I played a few more times.

Darkpen

Banned
Geneijin said:
I don't want everything gone. It's just that when I'm redoing the story missions to score an A rank with my upgraded equipment, I feel no satisfaction from doing so because of my overpowered equipment. Only thing I'm disappointed with the new game+. So I think I'm fine with the levels really now that I played a few more times.
The fact of the matter is that you simply can't get A rank on a lot of those early missions purely because you can't actually run very far at low levels.

Ranking isn't judged based on performance, but the number of turns.

I somehow managed to peruse this entire thread up to page 60-something, and because of it I started watching the Kara no Kyoukai movies. I don't speak any Japanese and don't read any visual novels, though I have watched the animes of Higurashi and Fate/Stay Night and I'm working my way through the Umineko anime, but seriously, what exactly the fuck is going on in Kara no Kyoukai? I watched just the first movie and so far all I know is, uh, there's this girl named Shiki and she has a prosthetic left arm and when her eyes turn blue she can kill ghosts or something, so she goes and kill this ghost who's forcing schoolgirls to commit suicide by jumping off an abandoned building and it turns out to be a living person who then goes on the building and jumps off herself. Oh yeah, and a bunch of weird-ass metaphysical discussions about going up on high places and seeing the view and what it really means. At the end all I was thinking was, okay, supposedly movie 1 occurs in the middle of the story timeline so maybe, MAYBE this shit will be explained and start making sense. I'm not sure if I can stand the endless metaphysical exposition though, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence bored the shit out of me because of that. The animation is visually very stunning though. :lol

Oh, right, about VC. I failed Chapter 7 the first time but it was a cakewalk for me the second time, finished it with a B rank.
It's easy when you realize Selvaria always stands in the same spot on the left relative to Lelouch's giant tank and never moves unless the tank moves, and you can use the Edelweiss to block for infantry who need to get close, though in reality if you put the Edelweiss on the left and stand everyone on the right, the giant tank blocks just fine too.

Chapter 9 was funny, it took me a turn to realize that
if I put Rosie in the upper left starting position and put Alicia and Largo anywhere really, I could just run her up behind the APC and shoot it for an instant kill. So I restarted the battle and finished it in 2 turns for an A rank. It took 2 turns because by the time I had loaded Rosie up on Orders, I only had 2 AP left.
:lol

Geneijin

Darkpen said:
The fact of the matter is that you simply can't get A rank on a lot of those early missions purely because you can't actually run very far at low levels.

Ranking isn't judged based on performance, but the number of turns.

What!? I always thought it was a combination of things... I should have just spoiled myself and read this thread then to save myself the trouble.

And I actually didn't realize until after I finished the game the highest rank for a mission was an A too. I assumed S for some reason.

But A ranks are impossible on most early missions you say? Sounds like a nice challenge run idea. I'm up for it :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Geneijin said:
What!? I always thought it was a combination of things... I should have just spoiled myself and read this thread then to save myself the trouble.

And I actually didn't realize until after I finished the game the highest rank for a mission was an A too. I assumed S for some reason.

But A ranks are impossible on most early missions you say? Sounds like a nice challenge run idea. I'm up for it :lol
S is the highest in the JPN version

Xater

Haunted said:
bs

The demo was what sold me on the game. 10 minutes with it and I had that fucker ordered. The demo thread on GAF was full of positive impressions.

Same for me. I knew I would love the game after I palyed the demo.

Lord Phol

The Frankman said:
When did you get it? I'm progressing VERY SLOWLY due to wanting to get the most out of it... trying to get the most out of the RTS mechanics and do Skirmishes when they arise, yet keep tabs on the soldiers' stories/Personnel and what's going on at HeadQuarters. I'm only at Ch. 5 Kloden Forest right now.

The game is very Scout/Sniper/Shock Trooper-driven so far, I've hardly had to use my Lancer/Tank/Engineer. Of course that'll change as the battles cover a wider scale I'd think.

Like 4-6 months ago >.>..
I'm at chapter 13 or 14 and while I do adore the music, story, and enjoy the gameplay I'm somewhat burned out on it. Having a hard time just going in to it with a relaxed mindset, which I think is pretty important. But I'll fight on, not much longer now!

Perhaps saying "consensus" was too strong a word.

There definitely were people that were turned off by the demo, or simply wasn't sold by the demo. I was sorta on the fence. I had a feeling that I should give the game the benefit of the doubt.

The demo showed of a small small portion of the gameplay, but it didn't showcase what I thought really shined about the game (I mean, c'mon. It was a skirmish).

If they chose Chapter 5-5: Wildwood Warfare at Kloden, it would have made a great level showcasing splitting squads, tank battles, different routes, and tactic-altering events without revealing too much plot.

It was definitely GAF hype that pushed me over. If it had happened sooner, I would have preordered and bought it day 1. As it stood, it became increasingly difficult to get a copy of it.

If the demo really moved that many copies outside of GAF, then you wouldn't see people suddenly joining this thread now announcing they "finally decided to give in and buy it at $20, wow shocked at how great this game is why didn't I pick it up earlier", and you wouldn't see Sega reps personally coming in to thank us for "being a niche support".

Sure WE here loved the demo. But I don't think many others did.

Baha

Spiegel said:

Still not feeling some of the character designs (the villains in particular) but I'm totally digging the changes to the class skill trees and all the new improvements they added. It's starting to resemble FFT with the class specific costume changes which affect main characters as well and all those tank types/upgrades. I really need to replace my dying PSP before this hits stateside.

Hcoregamer00

Baha said:
Still not feeling some of the character designs (the villains in particular) but I'm totally digging the changes to the class skill trees and all the new improvements they added. It's starting to resemble FFT with the class specific costume changes which affect main characters as well and all those tank types/upgrades. I really need to replace my dying PSP before this hits stateside.

I know how you feel, I have a CFW PSP and I know that the homebrew scene is dying, yet I refuse to go to OFW.

That means that I have to buy a new PSP for OFW, the PSP-4000 can't come fast enough.

PBalfredo

Got a PS3 for Christmas and this was the first game I picked up for it. About half way through so far and I'm having a blast! Love scoring headshots with my scouts and snipers. Too bad snipers have shit for movement, so they're usually stuck guarding bases. I always have an engineer out no matter what because they're like the PS3 ad slogan: "It only does everything". Nothing like be able to cross large distances, restock allies, defuse mines and heal/repair all in a single turn! Still getting the hang of using my shocktroopers, mostly because their range and movement is so low it's hard to get them a good approach on the enemy unless.

Skimming through this large topic I saw some people saying they rarely use their lancers. For those people, how else do you go about defeating tanks? I usually use my lancers because I can get them in a safe spot and let them unleash a few turns in a row for much cheaper than firing my tank cannon.

I noticed some of the recruits such as Homer have only negative potentials. Are they going to one day blossom into killing machines or are they just joke characters?

One problem I do have with the game is that the map is horrible at judging terrain. Especially in the forest levels where looking at the map it's hard to tell where are the trails your character can run on and which sections are the "rough" that you can't move on. The worst was in the mission where Welkins had to cross the river to join the main company. I spend several turns running around aimlessly, taking interception fire because I couldn't see on the map where the crossing was. It was only by working a unit from the main company backwards towards Welkin did I figure out the correct path.

Also, this game is devious with its placement of mines.

Alex

Baha said:

The character designs and military school bullshit are TERRIBLE, but hopefully the new game play functionality makes up for it. I just hope the new style and presentation aren't obnoxious or over the top, Valkyria wasn't exactly some bright ray of originality, but it's toned down sort of 90's approach is a breath of fresh air in todays Tales of Fluorescent Loli Fanservice XIII JRPG arena.

That, and Welkin was cool.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I know how you feel, I have a CFW PSP and I know that the homebrew scene is dying, yet I refuse to go to OFW.

That means that I have to buy a new PSP for OFW, the PSP-4000 can't come fast enough.

Why is the homebrew scene dying now anyway? Is it because the PSP is boring? I can't believe how many times more DS games I own opposed to PSP games I own. Wow. And I'm not even trying to be a biased fanboy or anything.

radiantdreamer said:
Why? Imo it's a pretty good indication of what to expect from the game. After playing it I knew I would wait for it to drop in price but get it eventually. And I did not regret getting it, it delivered exactly what the demo promised.

I'm currently one Chapter 6, put in 5-6 hours so far. I'm taking my time with the game, but I'm also stuck on some battles as well. But, I don't think that that is a bad thing at all. I die, and it makes me realize that I need to go about the battle in a better way. Yeah, usually if a game is a bit difficult for me, I usually get frustrated, but in some way this game makes me just want to keep on going. Still liking this game a lot. Now that the MAG Beta is not going to be up, I'll have more time to play it, but I still think I'm going to take my time with it.

radiantdreamer said:
Why is the homebrew scene dying now anyway? Is it because the PSP is boring? I can't believe how many times more DS games I own opposed to PSP games I own. Wow. And I'm not even trying to be a biased fanboy or anything.

There isn't actually that much you can do with a PSP running homebrew that a stock PSP cannot. It already plays video, music, pictures, and has a web browser. Anything that requires more hardware power or memory is a no-go, the PSP really isn't that powerful a machine. In terms of hardware specs, it's seriously outclassed by modern mobile smartphones. Nobody cares about PSP homebrew anymore when they can run thousands of apps without CFW on Blackberry, Symbian, Windows Mobile, or iPhone. (Yes, you need to jailbreak the iPhone to run "unapproved" apps.) The reality is that people use CFW/homebrew on the PSP to do one thing: play pirated games.

I'm not surprised you own more DS games than PSP games when there are, you know, a lot more DS games available on the market than PSP games. :lol

Defuser

Ways to unlock characters in VC2

Alicia Melchiott (Anime): requires the purchase of anime DVD
Ramal: Requires the purchase of anime DVD
Alicia Gunther: Pre-order bonus
Welkin Gunther: Pre-order bonus
Selvaria Bles: Pre-order bonus
two manga-original characters: the passcode is in the last chapter of the manga (forgot which manga series it was)
Isara Gunther: PSP-to-PS3 connection save file transfer (if you have the first game completed, connect your psp to ps3, and you will receive a passcode to unlock this character)
Faldio: same as Isara
Maximillian: same as Isara

Darkpen

Banned
Defuser said:

two manga-original characters: the passcode is in the last chapter of the manga (forgot which manga series it was)
Isara Gunther: PSP-to-PS3 connection save file transfer (if you have the first game completed, connect your psp to ps3, and you will receive a passcode to unlock this character)
:OOOOOOO

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Defuser said:

That just seems kinda funny to me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No Rosie or Marina <3? Bummer...I still will buy a PSP for this game, though. I'd also want to have Homer in my squad again, I miss that sad little masochist.

Cheech

Snuggler said:
No Rosie or Marina <3? Bummer...I still will buy a PSP for this game, though. I'd also want to have Homer in my squad again, I miss that sad little masochist.

My Homer died in Chapter 13-14 or so. I was sad.

Tobor

I'm getting ready to start this, but I have a question re: the permadeath. Can I load an earlier save to avoid it?

Sorry if that's an annoying question, I tried to find the answer in the thread.

Durante

Tobor said:
I'm getting ready to start this, but I have a question re: the permadeath. Can I load an earlier save to avoid it?
Yes, the game isn't that evil. IMHO it shouldn't ever be necessary though if you're cautious. You get 3 turns to save fallen units, and plot characters can't permadie. I just ended up doing the risky moves with those.

Giolon

Phife Dawg said:
I hope you're not being serious.
There are new players coming in to this thread all the time. It's a spoiler and should be covered. People should be more considerate and follow the no spoiler rules.

Tobor

Durante said:
Yes, the game isn't that evil. IMHO it shouldn't ever be necessary though if you're cautious. You get 3 turns to save fallen units, and plot characters can't permadie. I just ended up doing the risky moves with those.
Thanks. Here I go!

Giolon said:
There are new players coming in to this thread all the time. It's a spoiler and should be covered. People should be more considerate and follow the no spoiler rules.

Game's been out for more than a year and it's a minor spoiler if anything. I don't see what the hoop lah about something so minor and insignificant is. If it was a major thing then I could see why he/she would be angry but that is really nothing.

As for the pre order bonuses.. some of them seem kind of silly considering what happened in the original game.

*sees above*

See, this is why VC and VC2 preview stuff should be separated into 2 threads, fuck whatever "wahhhh it's not on first page!" crap. Either bookmark the thread or have two tabs.

Giolon

The Frankman said:
*sees above*

See, this is why VC and VC2 preview stuff should be separated into 2 threads, fuck whatever "wahhhh it's not on first page!" crap. Either bookmark the thread or have two tabs.

Things were going fine since people had been considerate up until now, but I'm going have to agree at this point. There have been attempts made by several people but none stuck. Now that VC2 is only a couple weeks away from release in Japan, can it have an official thread made?

Defuser said:

Alicia 2 : Pre-order bonus

I hope we can get all those characters in the U.S. version. I'd take the VC1 staff over VC2 so far.

Is the anime comming to the U.S. at all?

Top Bottom