• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Giolon

Unknown Soldier said:
The anime wasn't that good or anything. Download fansubs if you want to see it.

Says the guy with the anime-Alicia avatar. :lol

Really though, I thought it was terrible. They changed personalities and relationships too much to make there be more Welkin/Alicia drama than the game had and they tried to insert Faldio to make it a love triangle...bad, bad, bad. I say skip it and continue loving the game.

On that note, do people really have to keep quoting that spoiler post? Now it's sitting on the TOP of a page :-/ I feel bad for new purchasers coming on in here.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Things were going fine since people had been considerate up until now, but I'm going have to agree at this point. There have been attempts made by several people but none stuck. Now that VC2 is only a couple weeks away from release in Japan, can it have an official thread made?

Yes, an official thread for VC2 would be better to keep the talks separated.

This thread is Valkyria Chronicles 1 Official Thread, not "All encompassing Valkyria Chronicles franchise thread."

Hcoregamer00

Unknown Soldier said:
Well, duh, it wasn't as if she magically turned not-hot in the anime or something. :lol

The anime at least gave us the many faces of Alicia, so there was something good that came from the crap.

Darkpen

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, an official thread for VC2 would be better to keep the talks separated.

This thread is Valkyria Chronicles 1 Official Thread, not "All encompassing Valkyria Chronicles franchise thread."
Didn't we have a VC2 demo thread? I think the problem is that this thread just seems to be a magnet for VC-anything info, since it just sticks out so well. The problem will be that someone's gonna eventually have to make a VC2 import thread, or just STFU on VC2 spoilers (sans gameplay mechanics).

Giolon said:
There are new players coming in to this thread all the time. It's a spoiler and should be covered. People should be more considerate and follow the no spoiler rules.
That shit was so obvious right from the beginning, plus the game is old, plus why would newcomers even spot the "spoiler" if it's hidden in a list of unlockable characters for VC2 - they haven't even played VC1.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The anime at least gave us the many faces of Alicia, so there was something good that came from the crap.

Sorry for continuing OT, and I'll stop if the mods want, but: I just watched the third movie of Kara no Kyoukai. Wow, that was pretty bloody, I didn't think it was possible to exceed the quantities of bloodletting we saw in Elfen Lied but there you go. It was also one of the most amazing things I've seen. It was horrific, and beautiful, and sad, and haunting, and overwhelmingly nihilistic. It's hard to not feel empathy for the girl who was being repeatedly
raped
and yet also feel disgust when her little revenge streak goes out of control and she starts killing for sheer the pleasure of it. It's always strange how people who have killed other people always to some extent develop a taste for it, it's been that way since the dawn of humanity. Once you've crossed the line, you can't ever go back, but once you find yourself standing on the other side you start to like it there. I wouldn't be that nonchalant about having someone mutilate my arm like that, but I suppose now I know where the artificial arm I saw back in movie #1 comes from. I could say more about this but I would rather just ask why GAF doesn't seem to have a anime thread in the off topic forum so I could yammer on about this in a more appropriate forum? :lol

Unknown Soldier said:
Sorry for continuing OT, and I'll stop if the mods want, but: I just watched the third movie of Kara no Kyoukai. Wow, that was pretty bloody, I didn't think it was possible to exceed the quantities of bloodletting we saw in Elfen Lied but there you go. It was also one of the most amazing things I've seen. It was horrific, and beautiful, and sad, and haunting, and overwhelmingly nihilistic. It's hard to not feel empathy for the girl who was being repeatedly
raped
and yet also feel disgust when her little revenge streak goes out of control and she starts killing for sheer the pleasure of it. It's always strange how people who have killed other people always to some extent develop a taste for it, it's been that way since the dawn of humanity. Once you've crossed the line, you can't ever go back, but once you find yourself standing on the other side you start to like it there. I wouldn't be that nonchalant about having someone mutilate my arm like that, but I suppose now I know where the artificial arm I saw back in movie #1 comes from. I could say more about this but I would rather just ask why GAF doesn't seem to have a anime thread in the off topic forum so I could yammer on about this in a more appropriate forum? :lol
Well I for one haven't killed anyone (and haven't seen the anime either) but having worked in prosecution I can say that this is not true in my experience. Not everyone who killed someone in their lives becomes a serial killer or develops a taste for it, even if it is only to "some extent".

rykomatsu

Giolon said:
Well, SF Kinokuniya got back to me and told me they put in a pre-order for the art book for me and said they'll e-mail me when it comes in. They didn't give me any info on how much they're going to charge me for it though - hopefully less than Play-Asia's $65. o_0 Those who live nearby one may want to check in.

Find out the retail price of the book in yen, call the store, and ask how much it will be in USD. They have a chart that correlates JPY to USD prices in, I believe, 10 or 50yen increments. If the SF store won't tell you, give the San Jose store a call.

Phife Dawg said:
That shit was so obvious right from the beginning, plus the game is old
The game is not old and "that shit"
(marriage?)
was not obvious to me. I'm taking my time with the game and I hoped that at least on NeoGAF my experience wouldn't be spoiled. Silly me.

Phife Dawg said:
plus why would newcomers even spot the "spoiler" if it's hidden in a list of unlockable characters for VC2 - they haven't even played VC1.
Well, I did spot the spoiler, so yeah, thanks a ton.

Phife Dawg said:
Well I for one haven't killed anyone (and haven't seen the anime either) but having worked in prosecution I can say that this is not true in my experience. Not everyone who killed someone in their lives becomes a serial killer or develops a taste for it, even if it is only to "some extent".

I didn't say everyone who's killed someone in the lives becomes a serial killer. But in order to have killed someone and be able to continue to live with yourself, you have to have to some extent rationalized and even justified it in your own mind. Furthermore, you know that most crimes are "crimes of passion" and that premeditated murder is uncommon. After the fact, the killers may be remorseful for the act, but there is no doubting the fact that at the moment of committing the act, the killer is not feeling remorse or guilt or anything like that, he or she is feeling an intense emotional release which is so like pleasure that to deny what it is, is denying human nature. The fact is, at the moment of the act, it was enjoyed by the criminal, and if you or I who was normal was put in the same situation versus the criminal again, the criminal would be more likely to commit the act of murder again. Once the line is crossed, it's crossed forever.

I am not a trained criminologist so I'm not going to even pretend to try and understand the criminal mind, but it's important to remember that a criminal's mind is not unlike yours or mine except something went wrong somewhere which made them killers and us normal. The corner case of the child who mutilated animals when he was a boy and grew up to be a serial killer is as you know incredibly rare compared to your average person who is sent to prison for first or second degree murder. And now I've gone way, way OT. I'm just going to leave it at that.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
The game is not old and "that shit"
(marriage?)
was not obvious to me. I'm taking my time with the game and I hoped that at least on NeoGAF my experience wouldn't be spoiled. Silly me.

Well, I did spot the spoiler, so yeah, thanks a ton.
If that wasn't obvious to you then I really feel sorry. If someone would've spoiled a certain other part of the story
Isara's death
then you may have a case, I for one did not see that one coming.

Unknown Soldier said:
I didn't say everyone who's killed someone in the lives becomes a serial killer. But in order to have killed someone and be able to continue to live with yourself, you have to have to some extent rationalized and even justified it in your own mind. Furthermore, you know that most crimes are "crimes of passion" and that premeditated murder is uncommon. After the fact, the killers may be remorseful for the act, but there is no doubting the fact that at the moment of committing the act, the killer is not feeling remorse or guilt or anything like that, he or she is feeling an intense emotional release which is so like pleasure that to deny what it is, is denying human nature. The fact is, at the moment of the act, it was enjoyed by the criminal, and if you or I who was normal was put in the same situation versus the criminal again, the criminal would be more likely to commit the act of murder again. Once the line is crossed, it's crossed forever.

I am not a trained criminologist so I'm not going to even pretend to try and understand the criminal mind, but it's important to remember that a criminal's mind is not unlike yours or mine except something went wrong somewhere which made them killers and us normal. The corner case of the child who mutilated animals when he was a boy and grew up to be a serial killer is as you know incredibly rare compared to your average person who is sent to prison for first or second degree murder. And now I've gone way, way OT. I'm just going to leave it at that.
As I said, this is not true for everyone who killed in their lives in my experience. But you are of course right, this is highly OT and we should leave it at that.

AniHawk

Just started playing today. It's pretty awesome.

I'm really surprised the VA is so good. This is the same company that gave us Shenmue, every 3D Sonic, and Yakuza.

Darkpen

Banned
AniHawk said:

I'm really surprised the VA is so good. This is the same company that gave us Shenmue, every 3D Sonic, and Yakuza.
You don't think Yakuza had good voice acting? D: It thought the dub was absolutely stellar, all things considered. Mark Hamill pulls of Majima 1:1 to the Japanese voice actor. Kiryu's dub guy is amazingly accurate, and even the funky voices you hear from the cop guy and Kage/Sanaya simply works.

AniHawk

Darkpen said:
You don't think Yakuza had good voice acting? D: It thought the dub was absolutely stellar, all things considered. Mark Hamill pulls of Majima 1:1 to the Japanese voice actor. Kiryu's dub guy is amazingly accurate, and even the funky voices you hear from the cop guy and Kage/Sanaya simply works.

Mark Hamill is the only decent thing about that game. Everyone else was bad or slightly better than bad. It's one of my many complaints with the game.

VC on the other hand, has quality voice acting even for guys with little speaking roles, like Vyse and Aika.

Haunted

AniHawk said:
Welcome, even if you're lttp. :p

It's a really really good game. Would probably be one of the top games on the platform if it weren't for the broken ranking/experience system, imo.

We don't have enough awesome console SRPGs this gen. This and Fire Emblem hold the genre up high.

AniHawk

Haunted said:
Welcome, even if you're lttp. :p

It's a really really good game. Would probably be one of the top games on the platform if it weren't for the broken ranking/experience system, imo.

We don't have enough awesome console SRPGs this gen. This and Fire Emblem hold the genre up high.

I'm really blown away by the presentation. It's pretty damn nice for the genre and especially nice considering it's Sega. Of course, it's also the Skies team (some of them anyway) so quality is expected.

I actually bought this over a year ago, when the game was still relatively new, because I thought it would be incredibly hard to find just a few months later like an Atlus game or something.

Defuser said:
Ways to unlock characters in VC2

Alicia Melchiott (Anime): requires the purchase of anime DVD
Ramal: Requires the purchase of anime DVD
Alicia Gunther:
Pre-order bonus
Welkin Gunther: Pre-order bonus
Selvaria Bles: Pre-order bonus
two manga-original characters: the passcode is in the last chapter of the manga (forgot which manga series it was)
Isara Gunther: PSP-to-PS3 connection save file transfer (if you have the first game completed, connect your psp to ps3, and you will receive a passcode to unlock this character)
Faldio: same as Isara
Maximillian: same as Isara

Is this a joke post? I mean, seriously?! There's no Vyse and Aika!

Durante

AniHawk said:
It's very nice how we still have at least 1 poster (or more) starting to play the game on each page of this thread and liking it. (The latter is of course not suprising considering that it's one of the 2 best games on PS3 ;))

AniHawk said:
I actually bought this over a year ago, when the game was still relatively new, because I thought it would be incredibly hard to find just a few months later like an Atlus game or something.
Far be it from me to spin any kind of sales argument out of this "data", but according to the forbidden site VC sold over 450k in NA off a 50k first month. I find that hard to believe but even if it's significantly less than that it seems like they managed to keep it well-stocked.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
Far be it from me to spin any kind of sales argument out of this "data", but according to the forbidden site VC sold over 450k in NA off a 50k first month. I find that hard to believe but even if it's significantly less than that it seems like they managed to keep it well-stocked.

Insane if true.

The game has legs thanks to word of mouth.

No shocker that it would sell so well if the numbers are true, because word of mouth is always a powerful marketing tool. Nothing sells games more than gamers having fun and telling everyone about it.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Insane if true.

No shocker that it would sell so well if the numbers are true, because word of mouth is always a powerful marketing tool. Nothing sells games more than gamers having fun and telling everyone about it.

Maybe if VC sells enough in the West, there will be more motivation to put VC3 back on PS3, considering the PSP version is going to bomb completely here.

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
Maybe if VC sells enough in the West, there will be more motivation to put VC3 back on PS3, considering the PSP version is going to bomb completely here.

In the West Sega could do what NIS America is doing to Sakura Taisen, porting the game to a platform that it was never available as an option for Japan.

I am talking about VC2 for the Wii and the PS2. I think a VC2 port to the Wii MIGHT do gangbusters since the console is bereft of a quality SRPG that is not titled Fire Emblem.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
In the West Sega could do what NIS America is doing to Sakura Taisen, porting the game to a platform that it was never available as an option for Japan.

I am talking about VC2 for the Wii and the PS2. I think a VC2 port to the Wii MIGHT do gangbusters since the console is bereft of a quality SRPG that is not titled Fire Emblem.

Well, I hope they bring those fancy premium boxset/bundles here.

rykomatsu

radiantdreamer said:
Is this a joke post? I mean, seriously?! There's no Vyse and Aika!

Vyse was killed off by Aniplex. Dead characters should stay dead in their respective IPs (not too happy with part of that list myself)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I want to make a thread for VC2, so far I think I can cover most of the necessary stuff, but the classes part confuses me as fuck. If anyone is willing to help me with a summary for the new class tree, I can take care of the rest of the thread.

Steroyd

Xater said:
I watched the first 5 episodes and I am really enjoying it so far. :/

I quite enjoyed the first half of the VC anime myself stays close enough to the game to make it an enjoyable watch imo, the 2nd half goes to shit in comparison.

Durante

Some more fun speculative fiction: if the numbers at the z site are remotely correct it would mean that globally VC is the best selling SRPG at least since the PS1 era that doesn't have "Final Fantasy" in its name.

rykomatsu said:
Dead characters should stay dead in their respective IPs (not too happy with part of that list myself)
Agreed.

Quixzlizx said:
I was thinking along similar lines but didn't want to say it out loud.

Durante said:
Some more fun speculative fiction: if the numbers at the z site are remotely correct it would mean that globally VC is the best selling SRPG at least since the PS1 era that doesn't have "Final Fantasy" in its name.
According to the numbers I pulled out of my ass it went on to sell a measly 140k LTD.

I think VC2 being on PSP is a good indication that this fiction is most probably not close to reality. It's a shame too since I don't have a PSP nor do I plan to ever buy one.

AniHawk

Durante said:

No, it sold around 130k. In Japan it did 140k.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Good or bad the VC anime really should get licensed. Why can't Sega do it themselves? Make it PSN video store exclusive and give it Xam'd budget promotion on the game and video side. Make it sub-only if needbe to keep the costs down. And get it on there leading up to VC2's release!

Second noooo I don't wanna come into this thread and get VC2 spoilered! I get not all that many people are gonna import and play through it but why not give it a thread of its own? This threads crowded as it is with all the talk of the DLC missions and anime @_@;

Also VC is not that old yet! I know time flies and all but its still on store shelves and people starting the game new always popping into this thread. So even seemingly obvious stuff should still prolly be spoiler tagged.

Koren

Lindsay said:
So even seemingly obvious stuff should still prolly be spoiler tagged.
While I agree, I really thing that the spoiler they talk about
i.e. Alicia and Welkin getting married
is so expected since the very beginning of the first cutscene I don't think it's so bad. There's far worse spoilers than this one.

inner-G

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Insane if true.

I've seen it around a lot more since it hit $20.

It was even on the front page of GameStop's site in the top 10 best selling area a few days around the holidays this year FWIW.

AniHawk said:
Hey, the numbers I pulled out of my ass were pretty close - maybe I should run one of them websites and give a certain someone a good run for his money.

I take it you have access to NPD data?

Durante

AniHawk said:
That Japan number is correct for the first release, the best rerelease sold another 85k or so. So at least for Japan that site is more or less correct (and it better be considering the data is publically available).

I just can't fathom why they would make up such an unbeliveably huge (see my previous post on what it would entail) number for the US though. If I wanted my site to appear trustworthy I could do a better job guesstimating :/

Ioioioioooioi and his website obviously aim at gullible people that don't have access to officially tracked numbers. His visitors can't doublecheck his data, so he doesn't give a damn.

Hcoregamer00

Lindsay said:
Good or bad the VC anime really should get licensed. Why can't Sega do it themselves? Make it PSN video store exclusive and give it Xam'd budget promotion on the game and video side. Make it sub-only if needbe to keep the costs down. And get it on there leading up to VC2's release!

Second noooo I don't wanna come into this thread and get VC2 spoilered! I get not all that many people are gonna import and play through it but why not give it a thread of its own? This threads crowded as it is with all the talk of the DLC missions and anime @_@;

Also VC is not that old yet! I know time flies and all but its still on store shelves and people starting the game new always popping into this thread. So even seemingly obvious stuff should still prolly be spoiler tagged.

No, the anime should stay in Japan.

Some anime should get a USA release, Valkyria is not one of them.

inner-G said:
I've seen it around a lot more since it hit $20.

It was even on the front page of GameStop's site in the top 10 best selling area a few days around the holidays this year FWIW.

Well, a great game gets great sales once it his a price point most people can afford, no shocker.

Durante

slaughterking said:
Ioioioioooioi and his website obviously aim at gullible people that don't have access to officially tracked numbers. His visitors can't doublecheck his data, so he doesn't give a damn.
But that's the funny thing, it's getting cited increasingly often by the press and analysts who would presumably have that data. If they see things like a game being off by a factor of 3 wouldn't that instantly and permanently disqualify the site in their eyes? I don't get it.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Valkyria Chronicles really. I just want my US and/or EU final DLC and VC2 dates.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
I just can't fathom why they would make up such an unbeliveably huge (see my previous post on what it would entail) number for the US though. If I wanted my site to appear trustworthy I could do a better job guesstimating :/

Aww, so the numbers are fake :(

AniHawk

Just did Chapter 7 without anyone dying (though a lot of people went to 0 HP).

Fucking this battle was the definition of epic. Good god, when I thought it was over, there was still more. My tank almost died, but I managed to get Homer out for a repair just in the nick of time.

Artadius

Just got this game a couple of weeks ago and have been playing it non stop nightly after wife and kid go to bed. Definitely my favorite game for my new PS3 (LBP and Demon's Souls are my other two, and they're pretty nifty as well).

Just two complaints that sound like they're fairly unanimous from other fans...

Loading times are horrible. Even after I installed...it didn't seem to have any effect. Is this the case on all/most PS3 games? Seems much worse than anything on 360/Wii.

Also, rank being solely tied to how quickly you finish the map is a horrible way to promote the enjoyment of the game. You can say just play it your own way and don't try to rush the maps to get A rank, but if you don't get a good rank most of the time, you end up feeling behind the curve in later maps (I'm on mission 15 and am now grinding through skirmish 7 to raise some levels). Would have been better with a system like Advance Wars where not only is finish time taken into account, but also units killed of the enemy's and your units that survive to combine for an overall effectiveness rating.

Still an awesome game though. Too bad sequel isn't coming to the mothership. I don't see myself getting a PSP anytime soon.

Alex

Loading times are horrible. Even after I installed...it didn't seem to have any effect. Is this the case on all/most PS3 games? Seems much worse than anything on 360/Wii.

Nar, mostly Valkyria. The load times and also the Enemy Turn duration for later missions will drive you batty.

Also, rank being solely tied to how quickly you finish the map is a horrible way to promote the enjoyment of the game

Impossible to get good ranks without spamming the stupidly overpowered Scout class.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I played the Valkyria 2 demo before, and I have to say it looks like they did a good job translating the VC experience to the PSP. The camera is going to be a sticking point I think, as left is on L, right is on R, and up and down are on triangle and X respectively, but other than that, I had no major complaints. Splitting the environments adds an element of strategy, though I fear it may become something like the 2-front battles of AW: DS which I did not really enjoy. Still, very happy we're getting a sequel and it plays nicely!

January 21 in Japan.

Top Bottom