• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

duckroll

I found installing the game useless personally. It didn't really cut down loading in any significant way, and it took a long time to install. The space was a waste too.

Hmmm, I think I'll try both. First I'll install and play a bit then delete the installed part. Then I'll play w/o, that doesn't mess up the game right?

The Frankman said:
Hmmm, I think I'll try both. First I'll install and play a bit then delete the installed part. Then I'll play w/o, that doesn't mess up the game right?

Correct.

What I did was installed it (cuz I had the hard drive space and needed to do something else while it installed anyway), played it all the way through, deleted the install. :p
THEN I got the DLC.

duckroll said:
No idea about the moral system. Haven't really read up that much on the game.

There are now only 4 base classes - Scout, Shocktrooper, Lancer and Engineer. But each of the base classes will have an expansion tree similar to the Scout class. We've already seen the armored troopers: http://valkyria2.jp/mov_battle05.html which are a heavy armored version of the engineers. For the record, they're not actually "engineers" in Japanese, but a general support class.

So basically VC2 will have many more classes (and variations in existing classes) than VC1 did, but less base classes. I think that makes it pretty interesting.

Sounds straaangely familiar... Final Fantasy Tactics?

Darkpen

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Sounds straaangely familiar... Final Fantasy Tactics?
except I think their visual representation is downward tree, instead of branching multiple requirements, but who knows.

Uhhh... I don't know if I should mark stuff but hey I played Persona 3: FES almost 8 months after release and marked stuff, so what.

The first mission is kinda ehhhh.
I know it's a scout run from the Trial Version demo but to get an A rank I had to grenade the first scout near the bridge, run Welkin as close as possible to the sandbags near the hill and flank Alicia to the back scout. In that way when the enemy advanced they'd be eliminated on the counterattack, preserving a 1-turn win.

The second one
"In Defense of Bruhl" with the first tank appearance
I'm not sure about, I didn't know there would be skirmishes this early. Got a B rank though, I really hope it's not a 1-turn type of thing also.

It makes a lot more sense to have the classes from VC1 locked away until endgame, especially sniper. If you started out as having a sniper with only like 4-5 enemies on a map at a time, it'd be ridiculously easy. So you make it an optional skill-tree.

Also looks like Edy Nelson has a relative in this game from that video, Licorice Nelson :lol

You know, it kinda blows my mind that this thread has basically been on the first page for a year straight yet is still only at 8000 some odd replies.

LiveFromKyoto said:
You know, it kinda blows my mind that this thread has basically been on the first page for a year straight yet is still only at 8000 some odd replies.

.... bump!

lol

It's basically because new people find this game all the time, and there's always something to talk about for VC.

It could be also that you happen to check this thread every time after someone posts.

LiveFromKyoto said:

lots has been happening around this game. DLC, the anime, talk about artbooks and VC 2...

and don't forget the game kicks ass on it's own, so the fanbase is quite strong. the next logical thing to do would be a trophy patch ;)

Borman

I got the game on Friday I think, managed to get up to
Chapter 8ish? When you have to sneak through the forest
... So far so good.

Finally got to play the Valkyria 2 demo today thanks to new CFW Gen-D3 releasing (alongside Phantasy Star Portable 2, playing God Eater demo in a minute and english MGS:peace Walker demo tomorrow its an early Christmas!! :D) and wow! Its ace! I actually really like the mechanic of having to export troops from one area to the next via base camps and even gave us control of lots of classes and a tank! Felt really good and just like the PS3 version.

Really looking forward to this now, moreso than before :D

SecretBonusPoint said:
Finally got to play the Valkyria 2 demo today thanks to new CFW Gen-D3 releasing (alongside Phantasy Star Portable 2, playing God Eater demo in a minute and english MGS:peace Walker demo tomorrow its an early Christmas!! :D) and wow! Its ace! I actually really like the mechanic of having to export troops from one area to the next via base camps and even gave us control of lots of classes and a tank! Felt really good and just like the PS3 version.

That's really encouraging news! I haven't updated my firmware in a long long time... I think I'm still on whatever Darkalex firmware a year or so ago.

Definitely gonna preorder this one when it comes stateside.

Giolon

The Frankman said:
Really should be a new thread for it... P3 and P3: FES got separate threads, this is a completely new game here.

All attempts at VC2 threads so far have been relative failures, and nobody was willing to stick to a thread to make it official leading to a smattering of small one off threads every time a new screenshot or two popped up. Thus VC2 info started reverting here.

I'm about eight hours into the game so far, and while I love the gameplay, the presentation is simply terrible.

Why do I need to go back to a menu after watching a twenty second cutscene, only to select the next cutscene and watch another twenty second cutscene? Why not just, oh i dunno, make one forty second cutscene? Why make me select 3-5 absurdly short cutscenes instead of just making it a single cohesive experience?

The whole storybook layout and menu system reeks of 16 bit era gaming, and the entire experience just seems clunky. Everything at headquarters is unbelievably outdated and ugly. I have seen better art design and textures in Sega Saturn games than in this section. There are too many levels of menus and "are you sure you want to do this" throughout the game.

Who makes a strategy game that doesn't allow you to restart the level? Bah. I swear Japanese developers get worse with every console generation. Why does the game make me go in and manually level up my weapons, when I am given more than enough money to buy every upgraded weapon when it is available? The concept of streamlining a game experience must be completely foreign to them. Or maybe they get paid by the menu?

That said, the actual game that is buried beneath the multiple layers of crap is incredible! Fun, challenging, and innovative! I hope that they find ways to allow gamers to spend more time playing the game and less time navigating menus in the PSP version.

Giolon

outunderthestars said:
I'm about eight hours into the game so far, and while I love the gameplay, the presentation is simply terrible.

Why do I need to go back to a menu after watching a twenty second cutscene, only to select the next cutscene and watch another twenty second cutscene? Why not just, oh i dunno, make one forty second cutscene? Why make me select 3-5 absurdly short cutscenes instead of just making it a single cohesive experience?

The whole storybook layout and menu system reeks of 16 bit era gaming, and the entire experience just seems clunky. Everything at headquarters is unbelievably outdated and ugly. I have seen better art design and textures in Sega Saturn games than in this section. There are too many levels of menus and "are you sure you want to do this" throughout the game.

While I'm with you on the cutscene flow, I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of the book interface. I found it charming, and with the various quick jump options (L/R2 buttons, Triangle menu) I never found it difficult to get exactly where I needed to. When I wasn't in a rush, just watching the pages turn and the joys of unlocking a "new" page were always forefront in my mind.

I didn't have any issue with the headquarters either. None of the textures in the game are particularly high-res, I'm not sure why you'd pick out these here. A lot of the presentation (talking head cutscenes, lack of actual modeled Randgriz/headquarters) gives the appearance that the game didn't have a AAA budget - but some of it was devoted to other areas: the appendix with all the character models and their bios, the gorgeous art style, and yes, the outstanding book interface.

It's great to hear you enjoying the game aspects though. If that's what you enjoy about VC, VC2 is going to be right up your alley. Unfortunately for me, I was a fan of just about everything else.

outunderthestars said:
Mind-gratingly annoying but I'm tolerating it.
I'm personally waiting for their next game where it's nothing but menus. DAY ONE.
That said, the actual game that is buried beneath the multiple layers of crap is incredible! Fun, challenging, and innovative! I hope that they find ways to allow gamers to spend more time playing the game and less time navigating menus in the PSP version.
So far yeah, but I'm on Chapter 2 so far...

Borman

Beat the game yesterday. Loved the game, honestly one of the best games Ive played in a long time. Is the DLC worth it? I want more fun! And yeah, I see the second one, but the wait for English...

outunderthestars said:

So that they can tell 15-20 minutes of story without making somebody sit through the whole thing if they don't want to, and so that you can go back and see individual scenes if you want to without having to sit through 12 minutes to get to the part/plot point you want to see. This is actually a very forward-thinking design, I don't know where you're getting this 16-bit stuff from, there weren't any games like that that back then.

VKC art book coming soon

http://www.mangaoh.co.jp/catalog/212496/

戦場のヴァルキュリア Development Artworks
出版社 エンターブレイン
発売日 2010-01-20
予価 3,990円(本体3,800円)

87896f56.jpg

Apparently 400 pages! :D

I've been playing this.

I love the characters, story, and gameplay.

The difficulty is very frustrating. It's a hard game, but the bad non-rewarding kind of hard. Everytime I lose or have to restart it's not because I felt I did somethign stupid, it's because something unpredictably cheap takes me out.
I just finished mission 7 after my 3rd attempt. First time I had no idea what to expect and the huge tank ripped a few of my guys to shreds. Second time I knew what to expect, wiped out every enemy unit on the first turn and was literally just waiting turns for the radiators to open. Then whatshername drops dead smack in the middle of my troops and rips them apart. So I restart agian, hiding everyone and finally beat it.

The problem is each attempt ate up a good half hour at least. It is not fun restarting missions when I'm already a half hour into it because they decide to randomly throw things at you. I'm hoping there aren't too many more missions like that.

Also, exactly what does leveling up my units do? Does it actually improve their stats at all or simply gives me new potentials/orders?

While the game isn't perfect, this certainly is not one of my complaints.

I very much like the fact that I can go back and watch cutscenes, and that the game breaks them up in a way that I can leave the game in the middle of what would otherwise be one long ass cutscene that I can rarely sit through uninterrupted.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
The problem is each attempt ate up a good half hour at least. It is not fun restarting missions when I'm already a half hour into it because they decide to randomly throw things at you. I'm hoping there aren't too many more missions like that.

Also, exactly what does leveling up my units do? Does it actually improve their stats at all or simply gives me new potentials/orders?

Are you aware you can save mid-battle?

adversesolutions said:
Are you aware you can save mid-battle?
Yes, but in the mission example I provided
you pretty much need to know from the beginning selvaria is going to come in from the top and hightail your units far away from that corner. Any unit within her movement/sight from the moment she appears is done with life.

Saving midway won't help anyways when I have no idea this stuff is going to happen.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
adversesolutions said:
VKC art book coming soon

出版社 エンターブレイン
発売日 2010-01-20
予価 3,990円(本体3,800円)

87896f56.jpg

Finally, took them long enough.

The price :/

I could see a place like Kinokuniya selling the development artbook for well over $50.

Koren

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
you pretty much need to know from the beginning selvaria is going to come in from the top and hightail your units far away from that corner. Any unit within her movement/sight from the moment she appears is done with life.

Saving midway won't help anyways when I have no idea this stuff is going to happen.
Actually, I was surprised (and got a couple of casualties because of it), but still managed to finish it on my first try. The most important thing is to notice that
you can play cat and mouse with Selvaria. She only fire at people she sees, so you can move someone as a decoy (remain far, run, heal, and don't move too far) to distract her and make her turn, then use someone else sneaking behind her
. You can finish the mission, and also save the casualties, by using this strategy, even if the odds are bad. You can also help your troops escape from her if they're in sight.

I only think of one other mission where the battle suddenly change, but it's so obvious that something will happen that you won't be surprised.

Giolon

adversesolutions said:
VKC art book coming soon

出版社 エンターブレイン
発売日 2010-01-20
予価 3,990円(本体3,800円)

87896f56.jpg

Awesome news!

In other news, all SEGA content on PSN is 40% off until January 7th, including all the Valkyria Chronicles DLC. If you've been waiting for an excuse to pick up "Behind Her Blue Flame", "Enter the Edy Detachment", or "Hard Mode EX", there's no better time than now.

Shai-Tan

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Units dying isn't that big of a deal if you can touch them. Your example is one of two levels that I considered somewhat difficult (level 07 and level 17). There is no need to restart or go back to a save on most other levels if the tactics are good.

As for not knowing, like in every other strategy game, you know something will happen after an objective. I only tended to restart if I wanted to attempt a different strategy. Part of the fun in strategy whether its turn based or real time is the development of a plan, which includes failing sometimes when unexpected events occur.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
SecretBonusPoint said:

yeah I played through the demo too, I liked it A LOT. Definitely a day one purchase for me (this is confirmed US release isn't it?). The controls made it feel like nothing was getting left behind in the PSP version. The only thing is that the graphics don't look as detailed or have that "water color" effect like they did in the PS3 version.

... so anyways which DLC should I buy for the discount, what's the best ?

Durante

Borman said:
Beat the game yesterday. Loved the game, honestly one of the best games Ive played in a long time. Is the DLC worth it?
It's certainly worth it right now at 40% off.

Everyone that had any interest in getting it but was concerned about value shouldn't miss this.

Adam Prime said:
... so anyways which DLC should I buy for the discount, what's the best ?
You should get all of them, but start with "Behind Her Blue Flame".

Oh, and regarding the presentation discussion: This is actually the first time I see anyone disliking the book interface. I loved it and thought it added to the game's charm and high level of polish, and multiple reviews mentioned it as a positive. As always it's impossible to please everyone.

Doytch

Are they $3 now? I figure I'll pick one up then, and get around to it eventually. A friend has my copy of VC atm anyway.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
adversesolutions said:
VKC art book coming soon

出版社 エンターブレイン
発売日 2010-01-20
予価 3,990円(本体3,800円)

87896f56.jpg

woah nasty

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Durante said:
this.

You should get all of them, but start with "Behind Her Blue Flame".

I loved that mission, it was challenging and a lot of fun. The only DLC I skipped was the hard EX mode, how hard is it? Maybe it won't be so bad using my high level save.
Anyways... I think I'm ready to replay this game, I've kind of forgotten about it and haven't played it since last summer. I wanted to fully upgrade and level everything in my 2nd playthrough, but it made the game way too easy. I could clear an entire level with Marina <3 and Alicia.

Borman

Giolon said:
In other news, all SEGA content on PSN is 40% off until January 7th, including all the Valkyria Chronicles DLC. If you've been waiting for an excuse to pick up "Behind Her Blue Flame", "Enter the Edy Detachment", or "Hard Mode EX", there's no better time than now.

So glad I didnt buy the content last night like I was going to :p

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Finally, took them long enough.

The price :/

I could see a place like Kinokuniya selling the development artbook for well over $50.
Eh? What's wrong with the price? I've seen books that are like 100-some pages go for 3,500 yen.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoku88 said:
Eh? What's wrong with the price? I've seen books that are like 100-some pages go for 3,500 yen.

Nothing really,

It will just be more expensive thanks to the slide of the dollar, which will likely put the artbook US import price near the original MSRP for the game. I guess I have no right to complain, I paid $45 for the Ace Attorney artbook.

adversesolutions said:
VKC art book coming soon

&#25126;&#22580;&#12398;&#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450; Development Artworks
&#20986;&#29256;&#31038; &#12456;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#12502;&#12524;&#12452;&#12531;
&#30330;&#22770;&#26085; 2010-01-20
&#20104;&#20385; 3,990&#20870;(&#26412;&#20307;3,800&#20870;)

87896f56.jpg

Links to shops taking pre-orders that will ship to US demanded NAO!!!!!

Volodja

Mmh, on my LCD the game has quite a bit of jaggies. I should try to force the resolution to 1080p but trying to do so from the ps3 has only caused the game to run on an even lower resolution than 720p =\

Dynamic3

Durante said:
Oh, and regarding the presentation discussion: This is actually the first time I see anyone disliking the book interface. I loved it and thought it added to the game's charm and high level of polish, and multiple reviews mentioned it as a positive. As always it's impossible to please everyone.

I also loved the book presentation for all of the reasons you mentioned. 40% off on the DLC is just too good to pass up.

Is using the Ruhm as badass as it is getting mowed down by it?

Just bought this game! On the third mission, where you get the tank

It seems it's going to be hard

But I like Fire Emblem, so that should not be a problem

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dynamic3 said:
I also loved the book presentation for all of the reasons you mentioned. 40% off on the DLC is just too good to pass up.

Is using the Ruhm as badass as it is getting mowed down by it?

Yes.
Long range and powerful, I gave it to Rosie and she's a beast with it.

adversesolutions said:
VKC art book coming soon

&#25126;&#22580;&#12398;&#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450; Development Artworks
&#20986;&#29256;&#31038; &#12456;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#12502;&#12524;&#12452;&#12531;
&#30330;&#22770;&#26085; 2010-01-20
&#20104;&#20385; 3,990&#20870;(&#26412;&#20307;3,800&#20870;)

87896f56.jpg

will buy. need link to buy. FINALLY

Top Bottom