• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

This game keeps getting awesomer.

I just finished chapter 10 last night. I spent over an hour and a half on that one mission with no restarts.

that train was obnoxious. the dual machine gun fire kept tearing my units up.

Now that my scouts have the mortar upgrade things are a lot easier. The biggest use I get out of it is making enemy troops stand so that my snipers can clean up.

Still thinking about the DLC packs. I might get the two chapter expansions and skip out on the difficulty one.

Koren

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Now that my scouts have the mortar upgrade things are a lot easier. The biggest use I get out of it is making enemy troops stand so that my snipers can clean up.
In "capture the flag" missions, you can be even more quick: use explosion to throw enemies away from the base, and it's empty for you. ;)

By the way, an important thing for grenades: do NOT use orange color to get a good shot. Grenades bump and roll, so you'll make less damage by using orange. Aim for a little shorter throw, and you'll inflict far more damages. It requires some training, but it'll make the mortar more efficient.

Alucrid

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
This game keeps getting awesomer.

I just finished chapter 10 last night. I spent over an hour and a half on that one mission with no restarts.

that train was obnoxious. the dual machine gun fire kept tearing my units up.

Still thinking about the DLC packs. I might get the two chapter expansions and skip out on the difficulty one.

They're on sale on the PSN, right?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Lain said:
What will be a good place to order that artbook?!
I wanna import it!

Play-asia and Yes-Asia are good sites to order imports from.

If you live on the West Coast, Kinokuniya books is a really good place to buy import manga and game artbooks.

Enigma777

Banned
I'm thinking of getting some of the DLC that's on sale right now ($2.99 is too good to resist). I'll probably get Selveria's Mission, but how are the other two? Particularly Edy's Mission?

Durante

Edy's mission is really good, the biggest objection usually was that it's just one mission (which should be less of a problem at the discounted price). Oh, and it has multiple endings depending on your performance.

From here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/htmk73/archives/2004033.html

f4d5279e.jpg

4efa6bba.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The DLC is available for $3 each right now. I'm not sure how long that will last. I grabbed (curiously misspelled) Selvaria's mission and Edy's mission.

I think I will do the same. I'm only on Chapter 7 but this game is ridiculously good.

Cheech

Unknown Soldier said:
The DLC is available for $3 each right now. I'm not sure how long that will last. I grabbed (curiously misspelled) Selvaria's mission and Edy's mission.

Do the cash/xp you get in the DLC missions carry over to the main game? I'm only on chapter 5 right now, and could use it!

Giolon

Cheech said:
Do the cash/xp you get in the DLC missions carry over to the main game? I'm only on chapter 5 right now, and could use it!

No, completely separate.

On the topic of the art book, I e-mailed SF Kinokuniya to see if they were going to get it in, either in the store, or up for order on their website. It's up on Amazon already too. I will be in Tokyo in April, but I don't know if I'll still be able to find it at that point.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Unknown Soldier said:
Ends on the 7th.

PS.blog said:
Hello, my name is David Beavers, I work on the community team here at Sega and I have a special announcement for the PlayStation Blog readers. Every SEGA game on PSN and PSPgo is 40% off, from this afternoon (after the PlayStation Store update) through January 7th. This is your chance to not only snag downloadable content for all variety of flagship SEGA titles — present and past — but to load up your PSPgo with SEGA titles, as well.

How much DLC is there? I'm too lazy to reach over to my desk and pick my PS3 controller up to check. It goes against my principle of not buying DLC, but I love this game so much that I might bite if there isn't too much.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
cosmicblizzard said:
How much DLC is there? I'm too lazy to reach over to my desk and pick my PS3 controller up to check. It goes against my principle of not buying DLC, but I love this game so much that I might bite if there isn't too much.
  • Edy's Mission
  • Selveria's Mission
  • Hard EX Mode

$2.99 each.

Giolon

I have to admit, I kind of like this new years greeting artwork for VC2 that was posted on the official VC blog today (yesterday?):

ss6421.jpg

Happy New Year all you VC fans! Only 20 more days until those of you living in Japan and/or speakers of Japanese or masochists able to play through and enjoy a game w/o understanding its story can play through Valkyria Chronicles 2. The rest of us have to wait.

On the topic of the art book, SF Kinokuniya said they'd look into it and get back to me on Monday.

Astery

adversesolutions said:
VKC art book coming soon

http://www.mangaoh.co.jp/catalog/212496/

戦場のヴァルキュリア Development Artworks
出版社 エンターブレイン
発売日 2010-01-20
予価 3,990円(本体3,800円)

87896f56.jpg

Apparently 400 pages! :D

Pre-ordered on PA. USD 65.90 D: D: D:.

gokieks

The artbook is also available on Amazon JP, and with shipping to US ends up being 6800 JPY, around $75 USD currently. Maybe the exchange rate will be slightly better when it ships later this month... :lol

Lord Phol said:
Why can't I beat this game! D:
I really like it, but I'm just having a hard time plowing through it.
When did you get it? I'm progressing VERY SLOWLY due to wanting to get the most out of it... trying to get the most out of the RTS mechanics and do Skirmishes when they arise, yet keep tabs on the soldiers' stories/Personnel and what's going on at HeadQuarters. I'm only at Ch. 5 Kloden Forest right now.

The game is very Scout/Sniper/Shock Trooper-driven so far, I've hardly had to use my Lancer/Tank/Engineer. Of course that'll change as the battles cover a wider scale I'd think.

I got Valkyria Chronicles for 20 bucks today. Sucks that the front cover has a white >>New<< GameStop sticker on it. :( It was the last new copy in the store, though, so I'm glad I got it while they still had it. I didn't know if I was going to like this game or not, due to me not falling in love with the demo that was on the PSN. That thought changed today, since I fell in love with the game when I played to Chapter 3. The art and the characters so far are really interesting. The battles are cool, and are different than what I'm used to. I like them more in the game than I did in the demo. Can't wait to progress more and see how the story unfolds, but yeah, so far I'm really liking it. Which is awesome, cause it's the first RPG I've played this generation.

I always tell that to people that if they didn't like the demo SO much there is still a huge chance they will LOVE the game. It's just so damn unique and amazing.

ronito

I also picked it up with the lower price (got it the day after the thread was posted on GAF) I am in awe of this game. Just got to the beginning of chapter 3.

Any tips anyone's got for a beginner?

jiggle

ronito said:
Any tips anyone's got for a beginner?

love your scouts

once you have access to it, visit the cemetery every single chapter and trade for the new order immediately
these are missables i believe

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
lastinline said:
I got Valkyria Chronicles for 20 bucks today. Sucks that the front cover has a white >>New<< GameStop sticker on it. :( It was the last new copy in the store, though, so I'm glad I got it while they still had it. I didn't know if I was going to like this game or not, due to me not falling in love with the demo that was on the PSN. That thought changed today, since I fell in love with the game when I played to Chapter 3. The art and the characters so far are really interesting. The battles are cool, and are different than what I'm used to. I like them more in the game than I did in the demo. Can't wait to progress more and see how the story unfolds, but yeah, so far I'm really liking it. Which is awesome, cause it's the first RPG I've played this generation.

I did the same thing, but I can't help but roll my eyes at the main characters. I know its a Japanese game. I live in Japan so I see this stuff all the time, but arghh... I'm enjoying the gameplay though. That is all that really matters I guess.

I beat it last night, what an amazing game. The ending made my wife cry.

I may or may not have cheated on the last battle though.... Rosie+Ruhm+Penetration+Attack Boost+Neutralize. Took his
second form
down in 2 turns while everyone else hid.

All thats left now is Edy's Detachment. I tried it a few times last night and kept having idiots run into the base. I think I've got my strategy down now,
I can have Jann take out the 2 tanks on the first turn, Susie launch a grenade up on the ledge to take out the sniper, and everyone else camp to take down oncomers. I had it down last night but left the back end completely unguarded and the Scout that spawned walked right in.

I want more VC now and will be getting VC2 as soon as possible.

lastinline said:
I didn't know if I was going to like this game or not, due to me not falling in love with the demo that was on the PSN.

It's a general consensus now that the demo sucks balls. It sucked so much that it wasn't able to move sales, and probably actually decreased sales. Knowing this frustrates me to no end.

Spiegel said:

Awesome stuff. Two things concern me now though:
1. No toon-shading look. Everything looks like low-contrast solid colors.
2. No dual audio support, which will mean dubs.

A third unrelated thing would be sales numbers. Will there be a market for it on the PSP?

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I beat it last night, what an amazing game. The ending made my wife cry.

I wish I wish I wish my wife were more into gaming. She had zero interest in this game... or most games for that matter.

Durante

radiantdreamer said:
It's a general consensus now that the demo sucks balls. It sucked so much that it wasn't able to move sales, and probably actually decreased sales. Knowing this frustrates me to no end.
Doesn't a consensus imply that everyone agrees? I had almost forgotten about the game before playing the demo, and playing it made it my number on priority. It showed off the revolutionary gameplay and that's the most important thing.

Saying that the demo wasn't well received in general is revisionist history, at least on GAF. These impressions are all from the demo thread:
mraa7s.jpg

fyl66s.jpg

2lt1ys1.jpg

If I remember correctly something like 98% of the comments in the thread were positive, and it was quite big.

radiantdreamer said:
2. No dual audio support, which will mean dubs.
Luckily it's on PSP, which will mean undubs if that happens. (Though I hope it won't come to that)

radiantdreamer said:
A third unrelated thing would be sales numbers. Will there be a market for it on the PSP?
I think it will sell on par with or maybe better than the first part in Japan, and much worse in the west.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
I think it will sell on par with or maybe better than the first part in Japan, and much worse in the west.

Yeah, the PSP is dead in the west.

Hopefully Valkyria 2 gets a PS2 or Wii release to make up for it.

Top Bottom