• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Bebpo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice, you did in a short time what took me a year to do :)

Yeah, it's taking me months. I'm not really sure how you can finish the game in a few days. It's like 50 hours+ long if you do all the maps (figuring on average about 1 hour per map + cutscenes).

Durante

_dementia said:
I just got to the part where
Isara gets bodied

:(
I'm still a bit sad and angry about that more than a year after I finished the game. That's a huge mark of success for the characters/story.

_dementia said:
Isara gets bodied

I damn near cried when this happened. Seriously, I was a little teary eyed especially when
Rosie is singing at her funeral.

JudgeN said:
Damn forgot all about the artbook and now I'm looking for it but its out of print. Will amazonjp ship to US? They seem to have a copy or at least I think (can't read Japanese and all).

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/404726301X/

Ahh i'm so confused :lol
Amazon jp ships to the US as long as it isn't a game or model kit or anything explicitly saying "for japan only"
I have ordered strategy guides and such without issue

I had this game forgotten in a shelf, but my ISP crapped out on me this past weekend, which narrowed down my gaming choices greatly. That made me retake VC once again (playing it on and off for more than a year now), resuming and finally clearing Chapter 7 (which frustrated me). I'm on Ch. 9 right now, thankful for that ISP screw up, and eager to get back home tonight to see how things unfold.

So far I'm getting C and D ranks in missions. I wish I did better, but battles are getting complex enough to discourage me from trying them again immediately after clearing them.

Giolon

JudgeN said:
Damn forgot all about the artbook and now I'm looking for it but its out of print. Will amazonjp ship to US? They seem to have a copy or at least I think (can't read Japanese and all).

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/404726301X/

Ahh i'm so confused :lol
They will, but it's gonna cost you about $20 in shipping. I'd say it's worth it though. This is one of the best artbooks I've purchased (see some examples here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19585983&postcount=8519 ).

_dementia said:
Isara gets bodied

It was contrived, and I kind of expected it, but it still hit home. I was pretty angry (and sad) after that.

I bought the two mini-expansion things on the PSN not too long ago. I think I might put down the Demon's Souls and the StarCraft II tonight and pop this back in so I can finish them.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
I LOVE how this thread still lives!

I have it on a weekly subscription.

Yup, I be Durante is smiling happily in heaven knowing that his thread is still very popular after all this time.

Ikkarus said:
I was gutted when that happened. :(

Why couldn't that bastard Cezary get it instead.

LOL, then everyone would be cheering, which defied the whole purpose of doing that.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yup, I be Durante is smiling happily in heaven knowing that his thread is still very popular after all this time.

LOL, then everyone would be cheering, which defied the whole purpose of doing that.

Yeah,
Cezary
was a jackass.

louis89

archnemesis said:
Are you kidding me? I thought I was at the end on chapter 7. Now I'm on chapter 9 and you're telling me I'm not even half way through? ._.

Not that I don't love this game or anything.

Giolon

louis89 said:
Are you kidding me? I thought I was at the end on chapter 7. Now I'm on chapter 9 and you're telling me I'm not even half way through? ._.

Not that I don't love this game or anything.

I'd say less than half because the latter chapters often have multiple missions that take longer and also unlock further "bonus" chapters for purchase. You have a lot of fun coming your way.

In a true "oh fuck" gaming moment, I just discovered where Irene's pieces were stored. I also earned my first A rank in a skirmish (the first one :p ).

AniHawk

_dementia said:
Isara gets bodied

I knew it was going to happen
the moment Rosie started hating on her. I knew that Rosie's character development would end with acknowledging and growing away from her racism, and that it would have to be something big to jolt her from it.

Giolon

VC2 is just over 3 weeks away. Is anybody thinking of claiming the OT? Durante did such a great job on this one there's a lot to live up to.

BTW, first? review from Game Informer is out: 8.5.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
VC2 is just over 3 weeks away. Is anybody thinking of claiming the OT? Durante did such a great job on this one there's a lot to live up to.

BTW, first? review from Game Informer is out: 8.5.

I volunteer you :p

Hcoregamer00

Emonk said:
The fact that this beautiful game wasn't a bigger success makes me sad.

The fact that it was a success from word of mouth is a miracle in and of itself.

The only other "success" story like that this generation is Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright.

Giolon

LOL spoiler tags on the score removed. I thought people wanted that shit. :lol

I suppose if I were to ever attempt an OT, it should be for something VC related. I'll claim it unless someone comes to me with a brilliant idea that they just have to do themselves (all deferrence to master official threadmakers).

Hcoregamer00 said:
Emok said:
The fact that this beautiful game wasn't a bigger success makes me sad.
The fact that it was a success from word of mouth is a miracle in and of itself.

The only other "success" story like that this generation is Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright.

Both highly deserving games, though it seems like Phoenix Wright achieved true success, but its bar may have been lower being a handheld game in the first place. Hopefully, VC2 will do well enough that SEGA can be convinced to bring VC3 back to PS3 (and Xbox 360 as well if they were smart).

As much as I've voiced my discontent both with the change in tone & focus of the VC sequel, as well as its change in platform, I have to admit that as its release approaches I'm getting excited for it. I think I'll have to go squeeze in another VC playthrough in the next few weeks.

Lain

Hcoregamer00 said:

For a second I thought something happened to Durante, like getting banned, but then I scrolled up and he was there!

Whoever makes the official thread for VC2 better recognize that whip girl is great!

McNum

AniHawk said:
I knew it was going to happen
the moment Rosie started hating on her. I knew that Rosie's character development would end with acknowledging and growing away from her racism, and that it would have to be something big to jolt her from it.

Yeah that was kind of telegraphed.
Apart from Rosie, there was the whole "I just made these smoke grenades so that no one in the squad will get hurt. Oh, and here's a doll I made for you. I'd love to hear you sing Rosie!" You know, after saying things like that, bullets have a way of finding you.

Oh, and I love that we still spoiler tag this thread. New VC players steadily drop in, wouldn't want to ruin anything.

Joei

Hcoregamer00 said:

Hmmm... I think Demon's Souls fits the bill there.

Actually the biggest success of this game was its DLC, which made far more in pure profit for Sega than retail sales.

VC2 is looking ok, but I think fans will be unnecessarily harsh on it. Mainly for the short, easy, repetitive missions and the younger schoolkid atmosphere.

AniHawk

McNum said:
Yeah that was kind of telegraphed.
Apart from Rosie, there was the whole "I just made these smoke grenades so that no one in the squad will get hurt. Oh, and here's a doll I made for you. I'd love to hear you sing Rosie!" You know, after saying things like that, bullets have a way of finding you.

Oh, and I love that we still spoiler tag this thread. New VC players steadily drop in, wouldn't want to ruin anything.

:lol

Yeah, the doll moment in particular was when I knew that Isara'd had a good run.

Bebpo

Banned
Finally finished this.

While I can appreciate that it's a good game, it was not for me. The game has a large amount of maps with great variety and rewards good strategy. Whenever I thought up a strategy to conquer a stage, it would work. But for me the execution of that strategy was always filled with frustration and a lot of reloads (with terrible loading). I never found the game "throw your controller" frustrating, because the actual game wasn't particularly hard. But instead it was "this is half fun, half annoying" frustrating because the execution of a strategy always felt clumsy and I didn't always have the best luck. And seriously the enemy turns in this game are terrible. Sometimes they are "go make a sandwich" long and filled with sitting and watching the AI run back and forth when it has nothing to do. If the only improvement Valkyria 2 makes is to speed up enemy turns, I'd like it 10x more just for that.

I had a lot of bad luck along the way, which lead to a lot of reloading. Nothing like an enemy spawning out of nowhere and getting to move halfway across the map and instant KO your tank on their spawn move. Or having a great strategy in place and going to attack on your last CP and you attack and the enemy drops to the floor and kills you on counter and then on the enemies turn destroys your whole plan. Or not seeing a landmine because you're running through a haze of incoming bullets and staring at the enemy fire as you try to dodge it. Or running up and shooting something only to find out that type of weapon doesn't work on it and you waste a CP that was essential. Or glitchy stuff like being shot through a smokescreen (wtf). It felt like CP was so important that a single screw up that wastes a CP or two can completely turn a map from likely win to game over.

Part of this was because I couldn't bring myself to use scouts. Once I realized that scouts were so overpowered you can literally run across the entire map with a few def buffs and kill anyone in your way with the 100 damage gun and then grab the enemy flag and win the map in a turn or two, I couldn't bring myself to do scout rushes because any win from a scout rush felt unsatisfying and I felt guilty like I was cheating.

It also didn't help that I didn't have the "evacuate injured unit" order until the 2nd to last map in the game because the game never mentioned that if you DECLINE to buy an order (I didn't have enough XP when it was offered) at the start you lose your only chance until the very end after it's cycled through the rest of the orders. So since I didn't want to lose any units, if anyone was downed unexpectedly and I couldn't reach them I'd just have to reload.

I was able to get the best or 2nd best rank most of the time, but even so I only had my units up to around lvl.15 by the end, which I thought was fine but looking at some of the A rank vids afterwards it seems like my units were underleveled. I dunno. In the 2nd to last map it took me 16 lancer shots from Largo to take out the spear. Which meant holding the fort for about 4-5 turns after getting to that point. But in the vids the lancer was killing it in 6 shots, which would have been a lot nicer. And for the final boss people are like "use Vyse" because of his double attack, but uh my Vyse didn't have any double attack ^^; Luckily the final boss was really easy after I had my sniper take out the distance energy tower, shocktroopers/lancers take out the other two and then just had a bunch of shocktroopers surround and destroy him. But yeah, the 2nd to last map was pretty annoying because of how many damn shots it took and the spawning enemies and cannon fire.

I guess I just feel more at home with traditional srpgs like Devil Survivor or Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem. When I play them and build a strategy there's basically no room for error in execution of it. You think up a plan, move your spaces and do it, and then your plan succeeds or fails and you rethink it. The execution middleground in Valkyria just felt clumsy and an impediment between what I wanted to do and what I actually did.

Probably didn't help that the story wasn't pulling me in. I've definitely seen much worse anime plots in games, but at the same time Valkyria came across as fairly generic anime with underdeveloped characters (especially Selveria, Maximillian) and characters acting stupid or melodramatic. Welkin & Alicia were kind of unbearable a lot of the time.

Loved the art, especially the line art in the credits. The design work is fantastic throughout. The music was very good too. And I'm quite impressed at how much content they packed into this game between the main missions, the extra chapters, the free battle maps, and the DLC.

Again, I think it's a good game. But I just had an often bad experience with it and didn't enjoy myself a whole lot. It felt too slow (even just going through all the menus to upgrade equipment/units after every map was so slow. That was like 5-10 mins of wasted time. And in maps, why couldn't you just hit start and say RESTART MAP FROM TROOP SELECT SCREEN? You either save in a map and you're committed to your troop selection or you save before entering the map and you have to sit through all those talking heads everytime :\), watching enemy turns was painfully dull, and scouts/orders were cheats that encouraged solo rampages. I'll give them another shot because I liked the ideas behind the game and the visual/audio style, but if Valkyria 2 is mainly the exact same game in portable form I'll probably pass on Valkyria 3 and just watch everyone else have their fun with it.

Giolon

Crimson-Legend said:
Why was the sequel on the PSP?

• SEGA wanted to release quickly to tie in to the anime that was airing at the time
  • PSP development is cheaper than PS3 development
  • Multiplayer gaming on the PSP is HUGE in Japan (Thank you, Monster Hunter Freedom).
  • PSP has a larger user install base than PS3 in Japan
  • SEGA is short sighted and only focused on Japan
  • SEGA hates its fans (see: Sonic)

Bebpo said:
Finally finished this.

While I can appreciate that it's a good game, it was not for me. <snip>

If you didn't like the story or the characters then you have no soul. I can't help you there. You are a bad person. :lol

On the rest of the gameplay, it sounds like you really did have a lot of bad luck. The maps where I felt I had to get a perfect round of execution off were relatively few and far between, and I tended to move my units together so they could cover each other. Maybe it's because I didn't particularly care about my mission scores b/c I knew that any XP deficits could be made up for by playing skirmishes (which it sounds like you didn't do). On the luck front, I have had just as bad of luck in Fire Emblem where a crucial character misses their attack, or they get critical countered or something stupid like that. It's just the nature of the genre. I think the semi-real-time interaction you get to have with your troops makes the game more fun.

The overpoweredness of the Scout is definitely a problem, but is also key to earning the top ranks. I too felt guilty using Scout rush tactics, so I tried to continue to use them as exactly that - Scouts. It let me have my fun with them without banishing them from my roster entirely. (Also, Vyse's Double Attack is a Potential. To unlock them you have to use the character enough. Rosie gets it too IIRC). Then I just abused the hell out of them for Skirmish XP grinding. A-Rank
Bruhl
Skirmish in < 30 seconds? Fantastic.

I too didn't get the evacuate unit order until fairly late in the game. Order distribution is semi-random, and it's possible to not get them all before the end of the game if your luck is bad, or if you're not dilligent about checking the graveyard. Fortunately there is New Game+ carry-over.

I agree that Selvaria and Maximillian could have used a bit more character development. Selvaria gets some in her DLC pack, but is mostly shoehorned into the standard tsundere stereotype (thanks, Japan! not really). She sort of has the Darth Maul problem: she shows up, is incredibly badass, and that's it. But you know what? I'll take it. Better than being flaunted as a sex symbol. Maximillian had a lot more backstory and motivation provided in the anime, but the game and the anime aren't really consistent with each other storywise.

FYI, in VC2 there is apparently no mid-mission saving so...good luck with those perfect plans.

All in all I can't really fault you for your opinions too much. They're mostly well rationalized. Except for not liking Alicia. You will burn in hell for that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Giolon said:
  • SEGA wanted to release quickly to tie in to the anime that was airing at the time
  • PSP development is cheaper than PS3 development
  • Multiplayer gaming on the PSP is HUGE in Japan (Thank you, Monster Hunter Freedom).
  • PSP has a larger user install base than PS3 in Japan
  • SEGA is short sighted and only focused on Japan
  • SEGA hates its fans (see: Sonic)

Bebpo, I'll get to your post in a few.
But why not release it for PSN as well?

Giolon

SapientWolf said:
But why not release it for PSN as well?
SEGA has confirmed PSN & UMD release for VC2 several times, including today.
Edit: Unless you're talking about some sort of PSN release that plays on PS3 and PSP, in which case the only games that seems to be allowed on are Playstation Minis and PSX games. No other games play both on PS3 and PSP unless they are separate releases.

On another note, THE VC2 DEMO IS OUT NOW!

Bebpo said:
Yeah, it's taking me months. I'm not really sure how you can finish the game in a few days. It's like 50 hours+ long if you do all the maps (figuring on average about 1 hour per map + cutscenes).

Took me a week, and I beat it twice.

Fun, fun game.

Top Bottom