• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

harriet the spy said:
Well, there's always New Game + :D

I still have really no idea how to use lancers, though. They move super slowly, and they always miss!

And while that could be cheating, I find that using a beefed up scout or shocktroopers + damage up (or rarely demolition), to be more than enough for any tanks.

Lancer upgrades eventually make them near invulnerable to gunfire. They end up taking the least amount of damage. I use my lancers to clear kneeled soldiers, and to get up close and personal behind tanks.

Eventually, your shocktroopers and scouts will take too much damage while rushing to get behind a tank, plus defense up and damage up takes up too many CP. It ends up being more costly to use a shocktrooper than it would using a lancer.

radiantdreamer said:
Lancer upgrades eventually make them near invulnerable to gunfire. They end up taking the least amount of damage. I use my lancers to clear kneeled soldiers, and to get up close and personal behind tanks.

Eventually, your shocktroopers and scouts will take too much damage while rushing to get behind a tank, plus defense up and damage up takes up too many CP. It ends up being more costly to use a shocktrooper than it would using a lancer.

This is probably true - however, with defense and damage plus, and a good gun, a scout will destroy almost any tank. For one tank it's too much, but for a map full of them (like the fight against Jaeger, I had scouts mop up all tanks on the map). They are also much faster, which helps if you want to get an A rating. On the beach map for instance, I took me one turn with alicia to take over the entire southwest base. Defense plus + damage plus: destroy all three tanks. One more grenade to take down the sandbags, two more turns for the shocktroopers, take the flag, done.

But ok, i'll try lancers next time.

Durante said:
Marina <3
marina1f54w.jpg

marina2vub2.jpg

I needed two tries to get A rank in this one, but on the second try I only needed 3 turns.
Marina died through my campaign. It was pretty sad. I never reloaded a save, so i had to fight it out. :lol

Giolon

Chip N Chance said:
Marina died through my campaign. It was pretty sad. I never reloaded a save, so i had to fight it out. :lol

You WHAT!? You're fired from Valkyria Chronicles.

GTFO --->

:lol

Shai-Tan

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Hmmm

Should I get the DLC for this? Especially since there won't be anymore...

Great game, too.

I think the Selvaria DLC is decent but nothing special. The Edy DLC maybe not worth the money but it really depends on how much you like the game. I haven't purchased the newest "Challenges of they Edy Detachment" DLC (released in 2010)

Omiee said:
Can somebody who bought the DLC already tell me which one is the most fun.
I've bought all of them, but only played the recently released "Challenges of they Edy Detachment" DLC - it is very fun! And not as difficult as I had feared it to be (maybe because all my troops were Masters at this point). It contains six missions so you can't go wrong if you buy it, I think.

ronito said:
So guys any tips for the battle for chapter 17, the one against Jaeger?

I think late in the game, it depends more on what your troops strengths are. In general, though, you want to have the edelweiss to have an engineer on duty to repair it - and you need to storm through the camps in order not to be swarmed by all reinforcemements.

The camp right next to the edelweiss is easy to take - especially if you don't mean to keep it. I just mortared the guy next ot it, and sent a scout take it, go up the stairs (hopefully she survives the tanks' bullet, but you can use defense or defense all), and take out that sniper (will help a lot). Next camp is probably the one with the heavy AT gun. It's not that well defended, but the AT gun is a super pain in the ass. The camp with Ty the immortal is a bit more annoying - 3 shocktroopers and a tank. I had it easy because Marina was standing at that roof and sniped Ty. Then I sent Edy with defense and a good flamethrower to take out the extra two shocktroopers, and captured the camp. The NW camp is a piece of cake once you have the other three.

But that worked for me - depends on what your guys are like.

Don't forget you can 'sacrifice' a guy to take a camp and then immediately retreat him/her. I usually do that with one strong guy (with defense/attack activated), use several CP on him/her to destroy the camp in a very blitzy way, then retreat the poor guy as soon as the camp is taken. Tactic works great for me.

In case you dont use orders often: USE THEM. They are much more powerful than you'd expect. Damage Up transforms any soldier in a tank destroying machine. Defense make any soldier withstand _a lot_ of enemy fire. And so on.

Benedict

According to thesixthaxis.com there will be a sale on Valkyria Chronicles DLC today for the EU-region.

* Valkyria Chronicles
o Challenge of Edy (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
o Selverias Mission (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
o Hard Ex Mode (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
o Edy’s Mission (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

dekjo

CrankyJay said:
Game is 19.99 now at amazon, buy it if you haven't...great game

Yup, just picked it up with a $10 credit to boot. Already have a bit of a backlog on my PS3, but will get to it eventually.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Benedict said:
According to thesixthaxis.com there will be a sale on Valkyria Chronicles DLC today for the EU-region.

* Valkyria Chronicles
o Challenge of Edy (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
o Selverias Mission (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
o Hard Ex Mode (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)
o Edy’s Mission (was – £3.19/€3.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

They have got the reduced prices wrong. I just bought the Edy Challaneg for £1.99.

Steroyd

What timing, I so happened to look at the price reduced DLC content when I went to buy Pixeljunk Shooter and snapped it up. :)

Shawn6661

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP) Gamekult.com Import Review

Sega continues its Tactical-RPG revolution with this sequel of Valkyria Chronicles, which goes even further into revival. Keeping the good elements of the first title, the publisher does not hesitate to change the development of an already hypnotic game to compensate the lack of power of the portable console in order to make the conflicts even more fascinating. Battlefields are smaller but communicate between them for great strategic effects, nice graphics, likeable characters and some kind of adventure game to trigger your comrades friendship (and hidden missions), the game represents all these things which we appreciate about japanese developers and which, unfortunately, is becoming scarce. A major game in its category.

+ a catchy game
+ the likeable students
+ an excellent class system
+ the simultaneous combats in several areas
+ the possibility to install the game on a Memory Stick

- the beginning of the game is too easy
- random rewards after certain battles
- the lack of depth of the adventure part

8/10

Giolon said:
You WHAT!? You're fired from Valkyria Chronicles.

GTFO --->

:lol

I know right? It was the only character i lost, so it actually felt meaningful. She was my favorite, so i ended up over using her. Which reminds me. It would have been cool if when you went to the cemetery, you could actually look at peoples graves that have died from Squad 7. Instead of just talking to Raiden.

legend166

So I just got this last week. Really enjoying it so far. I didn't really know much about it before buying other than it was a highly regarded strategy game, and considering I only paid $25AU for it, that's good enough for me.

The only thing so far as I think the balance between story segments and battles seems a little out of whack. I wasn't expecting this much story. I'm only up to chapter 5 though so I don't know how that changes.

Joei

I just love this game. The characters and dialog are awesome. I just restarted it after putting it down a month and a half ago for FF13 and I like his so, so, so much more. The dialog is good and the characters really have great, distinct personalities. The battle setup is fantastic as well. I just can't get enough.

legend166 said:
So I just got this last week. Really enjoying it so far. I didn't really know much about it before buying other than it was a highly regarded strategy game, and considering I only paid $25AU for it, that's good enough for me.

The only thing so far as I think the balance between story segments and battles seems a little out of whack. I wasn't expecting this much story. I'm only up to chapter 5 though so I don't know how that changes.

I don't know if this is what you are getting at but the later battles in the game get much more involved and some chapters have 2 battles. I'd say from chapter 7 on, you'll probably be glad of the respite the story sections offer.

picko

Neo Member
legend166 said:

Picked this up cheap as well for $25AU. Seems like a great game so far and I'm through to chapter 8 so far. I was also surprised by the ratio of story/battles. I don't mind it though, it makes the game great for quick sessions (for example, play through a chapter a night).

Just bought the game, spent 7 hours or something and loves it. Not so familiar with RPGs before. so i have some thought. I just lost my first man, dont know if some are better then others but he is the shocktrooper that has helped me the most atleast, so i wonder if he can be better then the rest and if i should restart from my last save, but that seems so lame so i probably not gonna do it. But it is sad to loose a favorite, how do you guys do?

Maybe i should read the thread but im afraid that i will spoil something.

Giolon

alexthekid said:
Just bought the game, spent 7 hours or something and loves it. Not so familiar with RPGs before. so i have some thought. I just lost my first man, dont know if some are better then others but he is the shocktrooper that has helped me the most atleast, so i wonder if he can be better then the rest and if i should restart from my last save, but that seems so lame so i probably not gonna do it. But it is sad to loose a favorite, how do you guys do?

Definitely be careful of spoilers. Some people are assholes and don't obey the rules and the mods don't seem to enforce it strictly enough.

Personally, I can never go on letting anyone die, BUT if you want to get all the medals (like trophies but in-game only), you have to let SOMEONE die.

When you start a New Game+ (new game after beating it keeping your previous stats), everybody comes back to life, so if you're gonna do it, it's best to do so on your first play through.

Giolon

Alter's Selvaria, now in color!

6scj79.jpg

Looks like they reduced her boobs down from the prototype to a more normal (for her) size Not completely digging what I can make out of the facial expression so far, but overall I like it. I'll be picking this up to go with the ebCraft one. :)

Shawn6661 said:
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP) Gamekult.com Import Review

Sega continues its Tactical-RPG revolution with this sequel of Valkyria Chronicles, which goes even further into revival. Keeping the good elements of the first title, the publisher does not hesitate to change the development of an already hypnotic game to compensate the lack of power of the portable console in order to make the conflicts even more fascinating. Battlefields are smaller but communicate between them for great strategic effects, nice graphics, likeable characters and some kind of adventure game to trigger your comrades friendship (and hidden missions), the game represents all these things which we appreciate about japanese developers and which, unfortunately, is becoming scarce. A major game in its category.

+ a catchy game
+ the likeable students
+ an excellent class system
+ the simultaneous combats in several areas
+ the possibility to install the game on a Memory Stick

- the beginning of the game is too easy
- random rewards after certain battles
- the lack of depth of the adventure part

8/10

This isn't out in English yet? I was going to ask if the game was good or not, but apparently its not out yet :lol
I still need to replay and finish this game, I never got past that train mission. I think I should wait another year so I forget most of it so it won't be a trudge to get through.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Alter's Selvaria, now in color!

6scj79.jpg

Looks like they reduced her boobs down from the prototype to a more normal (for her) size Not completely digging what I can make out of the facial expression so far, but overall I like it. I'll be picking this up to go with the ebCraft one. :)

Yes, the price according to this site and this site shows that the price is somewhat bearable :)

Are either of the sites trustworthy? or do you have any other recommendations for preordering this, because I am.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, the price according to this site and this site shows that the price is somewhat bearable :)

Are either of the sites trustworthy? or do you have any other recommendations for preordering this, because I am.
Hobby Search (2nd link) is very reliable.

gokieks

AnkhWeasel said:
Speaking of new DLC, what are the chances of a re-release which contains it all?
I wouldn't count on it. Usually those GotY/Gold/Special/Sith/Whatever editions are released for close to full price, and that wouldn't make sense for VC since the game plus all the DLC only adds up to like $35.

Giolon

AmiAmi is another very reliable store, and their prices are usually the cheapest.

This figure's got some plusses and minuses compared to the previous ebCraft Selvaria figure. Let's go with the minuses first:

• Her facial expression is completely wrong for the pose. She needs to have her trademark, "I'm going to kick your ass," look with this kind of pose.
  • Did the nipples really need to be given the extra attention?
  • The base is nowhere near as cool or atmospheric as the previous one. The bullet riddled brick and helmets gave the feeling of being in the middle of a battlefield
  • Her face is a bit too rounded compared to the game.

And the plusses:
  • Her boobs appear to be smaller than the ebCraft figure, and more accurate to the in-game model. Selvaria's got a huge...presence, but not THAT huge.
  • This is a far more iconic pose taken directly from one of the most memorable scenes in the game - the first time Selvaria shows up to wipe your troops off the map.
  • The cape!
  • Nearly half the price as the ebCraft figure!

Some new, better pics are available too:
adhnjk.jpg
t53hbt.jpg

x1ip1x.jpg

It isn't my policy to get multiples of the same character, but this is one time I'm definitely going to double dip. Now if only they would come out with an Alicia figure of this quality...(and Welkin and Rosie and Largo and Varot...)

AniHawk

alexthekid said:

If you have Vyse, use Vyse.

Yeah, I'm a week late responding but he's secretly the main character alongside "Medic" and Aika.

Hcoregamer00 said:

Thanks for the link! Preordered!

EDIT: The problem with amiami though, is no cancellations allowed. Only if you're 100% certain you'll be buying it should you purchase through amiami.

I probably would have ordered via amiami if I didn't have some points I needed to spend at hobbysearch.

Hcoregamer00

I wanted to test the waters with Hobby Search, so I bought a Alter PVC figure of my favorite Ikkitousen girl, Kan'u Unchou.

*crosses fingers*

Hcoregamer00 said:
I wanted to test the waters with Hobby Search, so I bought a Alter PVC figure of my favorite Ikkitousen girl, Kan'u Unchou.

*crosses fingers*

a2803063-2.jpg

Figures that Kanu would be your favorite girl. :p

What sort of waters you trying to test? HS is reliable.

Bebpo

Banned
I finally got around to playing this and everything was going good until ch.7. That was the start of BRUTAL DEATH :( I am sort of terrible at this game.

I mean I'm able to S-rank almost all the missions and A-ranking the ones I don't, but I have yet to finish a map on my first try. Chapter 7 battle in the desert vs. supertank took me HOURS of retrying until I finally got a good strategy (had everyone besides the 3 leaders retreat once Selveria appears, hid the 3 leaders and had them take out the 1 enemy lancer, then just turtled with the tank until the 3rd radiator came up).

Then I did the first part of ch.8 in the forest and I cannot COUNT the number of times I got landmined instant game over :( I should be able to see them but I start running and people start shooting at me and I'm like OMG OMG OMG RUNNNNNNNNN and then I hit a landmine and instant death game over :( The stage wasn't that long, but it took me a while because of all the non-stop dying ;_;

It didn't help that I didn't know you could save mid-battle until a few hours into retries on chapter 7 where I'd get 30 mins into the battle, screw up and restart the whole map, repeat (this was kind of RAGE frustrating). After I found out you could save mid-battle the frustration dialed down 100 fold. But I'm stupid and keep forgetting your can save mid-battle so each time I do a map I don't save and die and don't save and die and then I remember you can save! And then I slowly work my way through.

I'm also impatient so I tend to rush the maps with scouts and that can lead to death sometimes ;_;

I like the challenge in this game, but I'm so used to srpgs being like FFT this feels so different and is like learning an entirely new genre. I get the feeling I will be encountering many many many more brutal deaths before I finish this!

Bebpo said:
I finally got around to playing this and everything was going good until ch.7. That was the start of BRUTAL DEATH :(

Oh chapter 7, you are such a rude awakening.

The rest of the game after 7 isnt too bad, some hard ones here and there, but yeah, good old 7 is the first one that really lets you know the game isnt just a cake walk :lol

Bebpo said:
I mean I'm able to S-rank almost all the missions and A-ranking the ones I don't, but I have yet to finish a map on my first try.

Then I did the first part of ch.8 in the forest and I cannot COUNT the number of times I got landmined instant game over :( I should be able to see them but I start running and people start shooting at me and I'm like OMG OMG OMG RUNNNNNNNNN and then I hit a landmine and instant death game over :( The stage wasn't that long, but it took me a while because of all the non-stop dying ;_;

Are you playing the Japanese version? The Japanese S rank is the English A rank, there's no S rank. Chapter 8 is a bit of trial and error to get the A rank but you can spot most enemies far ahead.

Also I noticed people complaining about the scoring system earlier in the thread. The scoring system based on turns is perfectly legitimate, a lot of SRPGs use turns as a way to grade a players performance. It's the orders, potentials, and scouts that need toning down so you can't finish most missions in 1-2 turns or save/reload abuse until an overpowered potential procs.

Also if anyone's having trouble or want some tips they could take a look at my guide.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/942165-valkyria-chronicles/faqs/56352
http://www.youtube.com/user/mjemirzian#grid/user/4C5E8738747EB7D2

Bebpo said:
Yeah, playing the Japanese version. So if S = A, does that mean the Japanese A = B in the US version?

Yeah, for some reason they shifted the ratings down one for the US/EU version. Apparently they thought people wouldn't 'understand or relate' to S-Ranks. :D

Considering that this thread is still around almost two years (?) after its release is an epic achievement on this game's lasting appeal.

I will never forget Chapter 7. Haven't been that excited and thrilled in a game in a LONG time.

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
Considering that this thread is still around almost two years (?) after its release is an epic achievement on this game's lasting appeal.

I will never forget Chapter 7. Haven't been that excited and thrilled in a game in a LONG time.

Yep, Valkyria Chronicles went from amazing to HOLY SHIT in Chapter 7.

I don't think I ever spent this much on a single game, $60 art book, $55 for the OST, $40 for valkyria figures, $110 for the upcoming Selvaria statue.

Oh yeah, forgot about the $60 game too :lol

Joei

I'm enjoying this game. I mean really, really enjoying this game. For the most part the game has been pretty managable and I've been able to figure out battles pretty easily. The last few I've been that I've done I've been able to get an A or B ranking on the first try, but I just got to one where I'm totally stumped.
I'm in Chapter 15 at the second battle where you're inside the building. Selvaria says she'll fight it like a normal person or whatever, but o.m.g. I move a person and they just get gunned down by her like what the hell. I can barely make it up the steps that are on both sides of the starting point. I only tried once but my jaw was just on the floor the whole time. I'm kind of unsure on how to approach this. I tried smoke grenades but that didn't do much good, and I'm thinking I could try using some defense orders, but with those tanks on the first floor and that machine gunner, I have to be smart about how I use my CP since I'm only getting 12 a round.
Did anyone else have trouble with this battle? Now with SMG2 out, my time is getting pulled towards that so I don't want to spend hours and hours trying to figure out a smart tactic for this.

Top Bottom