• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Bebpo

Banned
My clear save is 23 hours for the main game, but that doesn't count reloads so I'm guessing around 40 real hours. The DLC took me about 2 hours for Edy Chapter & 2-3 hours for Selvaria chapter (although I only did it once, so haven't done the alternative path).

I liked the Selveria DLC chapter a lot for some reason. Maybe because I had an invincible scout destroyer for most of it though :X

The Edy chapter was such a headache. Might've been the hardest map in the game for me, or at least top 3. It's easy once you figure out the pattern you need to hold out, but there's a lot of cheap crap that causes your death until you know it's coming ahead of time like the sniper on the hill, or the guy who spawns every round within running distance of your base on the north side.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Why did the second time take you so long?

No offense.

hahaha, well the game counts the time while using the menus. So take into account the leveling up, recruiting, weapon load outs, cut scenes, and the side missions i didn't know were there the first time. Plus i found myself leaving the game on a few times :lol. Also, this game is almost as much cut scenes, as there is game. So allot of your time will be watching the story.

matmanx1

Picked this back up this week so I could try and finally finish it with the 2nd one so close at hand. Showdown at Naggiar 2 is driving me crazy though. I love the art, music, characters and gameplay of VC but some of the actual scenarios can be tedious and frustrating.

The enemy has 3 lines of fire on you (heavy guns on the hill, spawn behind your base and spawn out where the first heavy tank is) 2 heavy tanks that drop mortars on you every round forcing you to constantly adjust your positioning and burning CP in the process and 6'ish reinforcements every round of which 2 will be snipers. Someone on my team is dieing or getting really low on health every single round. =(

Larsen B

matmanx1 said:
Picked this back up this week so I could try and finally finish it with the 2nd one so close at hand. Showdown at Naggiar 2 is driving me crazy though. I love the art, music, characters and gameplay of VC but some of the actual scenarios can be tedious and frustrating.

The enemy has 3 lines of fire on you (heavy guns on the hill, spawn behind your base and spawn out where the first heavy tank is) 2 heavy tanks that drop mortars on you every round forcing you to constantly adjust your positioning and burning CP in the process and 6'ish reinforcements every round of which 2 will be snipers. Someone on my team is dieing or getting really low on health every single round. =(

The
tanks
only spawn when you take the enemy base camp. Think about positioning your team before this happens.

matmanx1

Reading back a few pages it does me good to see how awesome and popular Vyse is. After Rosie he's my most used and favorite Trooper. I was lucky enough to recruit him early on and so have most all of his potentials unlocked and he is an absolute terror on the field. The fact that Sega put him and Aika in the game is a huge fanservice plus and I really dig it.

Giolon

matmanx1 said:
Reading back a few pages it does me good to see how awesome and popular Vyse is. After Rosie he's my most used and favorite Trooper. I was lucky enough to recruit him early on and so have most all of his potentials unlocked and he is an absolute terror on the field. The fact that Sega put him and Aika in the game is a huge fanservice plus and I really dig it.

Fina's there too if you've been paying attention. :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Playing through this right now for the first time (backlog) and while the story is a little dopey in parts I'm finding nearly everything about the game exceedingly charming.

Some annoyances about gameplay and I wonder how the heck it's possible to be acing these story missions w/o excessive grinding in skirmishs. But I've received a lot of B's and when I think back I can recall instances where my tank would miss something point blank like two of three times in a row. That never helps the grade.

Does this have NG+ and harder difficulties?

Larsen B

recklessmind said:
Does this have NG+ and harder difficulties?

Yes (carrying all of your upgrades/class levels over) and it unlocks hard skirmishes.

Incidentally, I never did any skirmishes until just before the last battle, when I thought I may as well. The difficulty was a little jumpy but not excessively so. It definitely requires a strategic approach instead of a RPG "grind until you're stronger" approach.

Evolved1

Larsen B said:
Yes (carrying all of your upgrades/class levels over) and it unlocks hard skirmishes.

Incidentally, I never did any skirmishes until just before the last battle, when I thought I may as well. The difficulty was a little jumpy but not excessively so. It definitely requires a strategic approach instead of a RPG "grind until you're stronger" approach.

I like the strategy, but I feel like I have the worst luck. I get screwed so often on stuff that should be a given. CQB misses are the worst. And I do not like how the game has grouped who likes who. It's nowhere near how I like to position my troops and I'm feeling like I should bend for the bonuses in team attack, but I want to have freedom to put things where I think they make the most sense. The game's camaraderie setup seems retarded. Doesn't make sense to me. Another thing... what's the deal with only having two or less rounds in the mag after a turn was completed. You position a shocktrooper perfectly; take out some guy and crouch behind cover. End turn. Enemy's turn and the guy is running toward my ST and I'm thinking great, I did that perfect, she'll cut him down on his approach. Nope. She only fires two bullets and he shrugs them off before killing her with a frag. Wtf... why don't they reload when you end your turn. I just don't see how you can count on a soldier's role when you never know if they'll even shoot more than two rounds when you really need them to.

I'm on the first desert lvl right now and I'm so pissed at how accurate the frigging enemy snipers are while mine can't hit shit. Very early in the game and I already have them lvl 6 or 7 and they just can't hit shit. Annoying.

Love the game though, don't get the wrong idea.

Giolon

recklessmind said:
And I do not like how the game has grouped who likes who. It's nowhere near how I like to position my troops and I'm feeling like I should bend for the bonuses in team attack, but I want to have freedom to put things where I think they make the most sense. The game's camaraderie setup seems retarded. Doesn't make sense to me.

You don't have to utilize the relationship bonuses. You can, but you don't have to. I made it through fine the first time mostly not using them at all.

recklessmind said:
Another thing... what's the deal with only having two or less rounds in the mag after a turn was completed. You position a shocktrooper perfectly; take out some guy and crouch behind cover. End turn. Enemy's turn and the guy is running toward my ST and I'm thinking great, I did that perfect, she'll cut him down on his approach. Nope. She only fires two bullets and he shrugs them off before killing her with a frag. Wtf... why don't they reload when you end your turn. I just don't see how you can count on a soldier's role when you never know if they'll even shoot more than two rounds when you really need them to.

The amount of bullets your troops shoot during enemy turns depends largely on how much time the enemy troops spend running around in your units field of awareness. Keep in mind for anything but a Scout, that field is a relatively narrow cone of about 45 degrees directly in front of the direction that they're facing. Be sure to end your turn facing the direction you think the enemy will come from, and you'll get more out of your interception fire.

recklessmind said:
I'm on the first desert lvl right now and I'm so pissed at how accurate the frigging enemy snipers are while mine can't hit shit. Very early in the game and I already have them lvl 6 or 7 and they just can't hit shit. Annoying.

Love the game though, don't get the wrong idea.
Snipers start out weak but they get oh so good. Focus your research on the accuracy line for sniper rifles in the early game.

Evolved1

Giolon said:
The amount of bullets your troops shoot during enemy turns depends largely on how much time the enemy troops spend running around in your units field of awareness. Keep in mind for anything but a Scout, that field is a relatively narrow cone of about 45 degrees directly in front of the direction that they're facing. Be sure to end your turn facing the direction you think the enemy will come from, and you'll get more out of your interception fire.
I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. The enemy is directly in front of them... sometimes my ST (Even the MG on the tank) will only fire a couple rounds in situations where they'd normally unload an entire mag. It's just really weird.

Giolon said:
Snipers start out weak but they get oh so good. Focus your research on the accuracy line for sniper rifles in the early game.
Don't know what this means... I lvl them up and buy any upgrade I can find in R&D but I was not aware that you could select what stats you wanted to upgrade by "line".

Giolon

recklessmind said:
I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. The enemy is directly in front of them... sometimes my ST (Even the MG on the tank) will only fire a couple rounds in situations where they'd normally unload an entire mag. It's just really eird.
I never noticed having this problem. As I'm replaying for VC2's release, I'll keep my eye out and see if I can notice any causes. Your troops do have a maximum range they can fire.

recklessmind said:
Don't know what this means... I lvl them up and buy any upgrade I can find in R&D but I was not aware that you could select what stats you wanted to upgrade by "line".
R&D paths will soon split.

Back to the camaraderie bonuses - I think they could have been better if they would build and change based on the units you use them near over time instead of just static pre-determined relationships.

androvsky

recklessmind said:
I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. The enemy is directly in front of them... sometimes my ST (Even the MG on the tank) will only fire a couple rounds in situations where they'd normally unload an entire mag. It's just really weird.

Is your soldier going into a reload animation, or do they simply stop firing? Keep in mind that interception fire stops when someone goes into aim mode, and that holds for the enemy as well. If the enemy wants to keep running through your interception fire, that's great, but often they'll take a couple of bullets and either end their turn or fire back if they're in range.

Evolved1

androvsky said:
Is your soldier going into a reload animation, or do they simply stop firing? Keep in mind that interception fire stops when someone goes into aim mode, and that holds for the enemy as well. If the enemy wants to keep running through your interception fire, that's great, but often they'll take a couple of bullets and either end their turn or fire back if they're in range.

I did think of that. I'm not sure... I'm going to play it a bunch tonight and I'll try and see if I'm just crazy or what.

matmanx1

No I definitely see Fina (especially on the last map. Poor girl was running all over the place!). It's just that Vyse is my favorite!

WOOHOO! I finally beat Showdown at Naggiar and I only had to reload about 20 times. I never restarted the map however and I did not loose any of my forces permanently although Rosie went down on the last turn defending my rear.

Took me 9 turns (which was a "D", bleh) mostly because my positioning was pretty bad when the heavy tanks spawned. I ended up having to do alot of trench hopping and tank positioning where each tank was covering the other's weak spot but it worked out in the end. Anyway, on to Chapter 15 now. I am SOO glad to be finished with Naggiar!

Lain

The artbook getting published in English seems too good to be true, but I've put it into my wishlist until someone sheds some light on this.
If it turned to really be coming, I wouldn't mind buying it again.

Giolon

Well, what's interesting is the publisher says Udon Entertainment 2011. They've published mostly CAPCOM material, but there have been a handful of others.

I don't know if it's real or not, but there hasn't been anything announced. I might consider picking it up if it were, even though I already own the Japanese edition. It'd be nice to read all that wonderful text.

Giolon

Check out this awesome illustration of Selvaria as some sort of card-game card by the game's character designer:

ss8801.jpg

It was posted to one of the two official VC blogs back in June. Somehow I missed it. o_0

I love the flower in her hair.

Ikkarus

I did recall hearing that Valkyria Chronicles was going to get a release for a TCG. The art looks real good. I've had no luck trying to find where to buy the packs of cards though. :(

Giolon said:
Well, what's interesting is the publisher says Udon Entertainment 2011. They've published mostly CAPCOM material, but there have been a handful of others.

I don't know if it's real or not, but there hasn't been anything announced. I might consider picking it up if it were, even though I already own the Japanese edition. It'd be nice to read all that wonderful text.

I asked them by mail and they confirmed, they'll anounce it in a couple of weeks. I'm so happy I didn't import the JP version back then :p

androvsky

Giolon said:
Check out this awesome illustration of Selvaria as some sort of card-game card by the game's character designer:

ss8801.jpg

It was posted to one of the two official VC blogs back in June. Somehow I missed it. o_0

I love the flower in her hair.

Okay, I've always like Selvaria's character design, but her breasts have gone from divergent to now apparently starting their own civil war.

BomberMouse said:
I asked them by mail and they confirmed, they'll anounce it in a couple of weeks. I'm so happy I didn't import the JP version back then :p

Back then? It was like only a few months ago. The JPN one goes for over 100 USD on eBay, and it's still out of stock. If Sega confirms this is coming out in English on their site or via a press release, and the vibe is the localization will be good + no content cut out, I'll consider putting my JPN copy up for sale to fund the English one.

Mashing

So I just started playing this game.... I wish I hadn't of read the a-rank faq because it's stupidly retarded what you have to do (strategy wise that is) to get A ranks. So far, that's my only beef with the game. I suppose I could make up the difference doing skirmishes and take the battles at my own pace.

Oh and a question: Are there certain characters that are head and shoulders above the rest (speaking of the random recruits) like there are in games like Fire Emblem and whatnot?

Giolon

TSA said:
Back then? It was like only a few months ago. The JPN one goes for over 100 USD on eBay, and it's still out of stock. If Sega confirms this is coming out in English on their site or via a press release, and the vibe is the localization will be good + no content cut out, I'll consider putting my JPN copy up for sale to fund the English one.

The artbook was released back in January. That's 8 months ago now! It was originally supposed to release in Fall '09. Though I have similar plans for my JPN edition when that English one gets nearer. I don't regret buying it though - I've gotten to enjoy the beautiful artwork all this time and there was never any guarantee (or much of a chance I thought) of it being released in English. Now if I have to pay a few more bucks to be able to understand the copious amounts of text, I don't mind.

Mashing said:
So I just started playing this game.... I wish I hadn't of read the a-rank faq because it's stupidly retarded what you have to do (strategy wise that is) to get A ranks. So far, that's my only beef with the game. I suppose I could make up the difference doing skirmishes and take the battles at my own pace.

Oh and a question: Are there certain characters that are head and shoulders above the rest (speaking of the random recruits) like there are in games like Fire Emblem and whatnot?
Ignore A ranks the first time through, IMO. Play it how you like.

Best Characters based on potentials, IMO:

Alicia
Rosie
Vyse
Jann
Audrey
Marina

Lain

BomberMouse said:

Well, good to know. I'll try to get it. I love my JPN copy, but being able to read it is just that much better.

KongRudi

Banned
Over a hour long interview with Sega comunity manager in regard to VC2, on Interactive Distractions podcast.

http://interactivedistractions.com/...audio+(Interactive+Distractions+-+Audio+Feed)

Has alot of info about the sequel, the interview will most likely get you really hyped for this game. Since Sega have gone all out on this one, it sounds like.
Also have some info about how the first game did, etc. etc.
VC2 interview start at 43 minutes, 55 seconds, and last abit more than an hour, if you don't have time to listen to it all.
The podcast also contain one of the hosts singing Lady Gaga's pokerface due to a lost bet if Mass Effect came to PS3. Wich is pretty funny.

Ikkarus

KongRudi said:
Over a hour long interview with Sega comunity manager in regard to VC2, on Interactive Distractions podcast.

http://interactivedistractions.com/...audio+(Interactive+Distractions+-+Audio+Feed)

Has alot of info about the sequel, the interview will most likely get you really hyped for this game. Since Sega have gone all out on this one, it sounds like.
Also have some info about how the first game did, etc. etc.
Hype achieved. :D
I enjoyed listening to that. Sounds like they gave the multiplayer side a lot of attention which is good. Too bad none of my local friends like this game though.

Still 30+ characters is fantastic, especially when you consider they crammed it all on a UMD.

Ikkarus

Sallokin said:
I really need to finish the mission with the huge tank. I keep getting owned on that one. So much backlog =(
Mission 7 does ramp up the difficulty a lot.
Just keep trying new ideas or failing that check a few videos on YouTube.

I haven't played that mission for a while now but I deployed a lot more lancers than usual and just make sure you hide your troops before
Selvaria turns up and kicks the crap out of your squad.

Giolon said:
For those who aren't stopping by the VC2 thread, that Alicia Melchiott figure from Kotobukiya is up for pre-order. The price isn't too bad either!

10126459a2.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10126459

She's also available at AmiAmi.

Pre-ordered to go with my two Selvarias!

Yea, saw the update on some blogs for that. Just pre-ordered it as well. Selvaria figures were too expensive, and I missed a golden chance at getting the VC 1 Collector's Edition in Japan last year for like 70 USD sealed in a shop, so not missing the boat on this one. Sadly had to cancel my pre-order for the Mystearica figure from Tales of the Abyss since I don't want to spend money on both.

gokieks

Her face isn't quite as faithful as I'd like, but it's still a much better figure than any other previous ones, so I'll probably be ordering it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
TSA said:
Yea, saw the update on some blogs for that. Just pre-ordered it as well. Selvaria figures were too expensive, and I missed a golden chance at getting the VC 1 Collector's Edition in Japan last year for like 70 USD sealed in a shop, so not missing the boat on this one. Sadly had to cancel my pre-order for the Mystearica figure from Tales of the Abyss since I don't want to spend money on both.

Aww, the Tear figure is great.

Giolon

gokieks said:
Her face isn't quite as faithful as I'd like, but it's still a much better figure than any other previous ones, so I'll probably be ordering it.

It's faithful to the anime. I'd have much preferred they go with the game's design, but I'll take what I can get at this point (as long as it's not as awful as the original SEGA Alicia figure.)

matmanx1

So I just finished the game. I feel like that previous sentence should have an exclamation point or two on it because I'm seriously pumped after watching that ending. What a fantastic game.

I feel like it's been this epic journey because I originally started VC back on launch day in 2008 and have owned the game a total of 3 (THREE!) times now before finally summoning the strength (mental acumen?) to see it through. Yes, I was weak and I faltered several times but the game just kept calling me back and I am so glad I listened!

I loved it. What can I say that hasn't already been said about this beautiful game? Not much. Although I will stress again how utterly unique VC is in the world of SRPG's with it's battle system mixing in action elements with the Canvas engine graphics. It's a one two punch of awesome, quite frankly, and the main reason I now hold this game in such high regard.

So, a final tally for me before moving on to crack the plastic on number 2;

+Fantastic art and presentation all the way around
+ Individual unit personalities (they feel like real people!)
+ Potential system
+ Vyse, Aika and Fina from Skies of Arcadia. Vyse is a monster, FYI.
+ Action points + Orders make for a unique movement style around the battlefield and leaves lots of room for experimentation
+ Some great musical tracks although not Sakimoto's best overall work

- Load times are still too long, even with the install
- Some frustrating battles unless you abuse the save and reload system
- Some unfortunate unit imbalances (scout's too useful, Shamrock hardly gets used)

Overall I would call it an easy 9.0 out of 10 and one of the best SRPG's I've ever played. Sega Overworks, I salute you and I look forward to your announcement of VC 3!

Top Bottom