• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

matmanx1

Amazon.com has a listing for a "Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive." Is that the same thing, you think? It's up for pre-order with a Feb 2011 release.

Marberry Shore was difficult the first time through. It's one of those maps where making a single mistake can loose you a unit or the whole map very quickly. Still, that just makes victory all the sweeter.

JudgeN

matmanx1 said:
Amazon.com has a listing for a "Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive." Is that the same thing, you think? It's up for pre-order with a Feb 2011 release.

Marberry Shore was difficult the first time through. It's one of those maps where making a single mistake can loose you a unit or the whole map very quickly. Still, that just makes victory all the sweeter.

Yes I think that's the correct book, PRE ORDER confirmed!!! :D

Ponn

Banned
matmanx1 said:

Victory at Marberry Shore is only bittersweet.

Lain

To follow-up on my hoping for a reasonable price on the art book, on Amazon.co.uk it was 47€ shipped, which is reasonable enough given the price I paid for the Japanese version and how many pages are in it, so I pre-ordered my copy.

Talking about VC1 instead, why am I the only one that loves journalist girl?
Every time people talk about the cast of the game, I never see anyone mention how funny and charming she was!

I'm currently playing through this for the first time, and I'm totally stuck on chapter 17. Some of the other missions have pissed me off, but they can't hold a candle to this one.
122kr9f.jpg

Frak Jaeger and his men. I honestly don't know if I will be able to finish this stupid game. I actually love it overall, but some of the mission designs are just frustrating.

Mashing said:
So I just started playing this game.... I wish I hadn't of read the a-rank faq because it's stupidly retarded what you have to do (strategy wise that is) to get A ranks. So far, that's my only beef with the game. I suppose I could make up the difference doing skirmishes and take the battles at my own pace.

Oh and a question: Are there certain characters that are head and shoulders above the rest (speaking of the random recruits) like there are in games like Fire Emblem and whatnot?

The a-rank faq on gamefaqs is very out of date.

Yes there are characters with better potentials. Mostly the ones with Ultimate Damage, Accuracy, etc. Alicia is also godlike if you feel like scout rushing.

ninj4junpei said:
I'm currently playing through this for the first time, and I'm totally stuck on chapter 17. Some of the other missions have pissed me off, but they can't hold a candle to this one.
Frak Jaeger and his men. I honestly don't know if I will be able to finish this stupid game. I actually love it overall, but some of the mission designs are just frustrating.

Make sure to capture one base at a time. Shocktroopers are huge on this map. Remember you can use your own smoke grenades to help you. Just go slow and don't over commit. Don't worry about rank on your 1st playthrough.

DigiMish said:
Is it worth switching from standard damage dealing weapons (middle column in R&D) to the stat affecting ones (right column)?

Not one bit. Also, always choose clip size over firepower. If all your hits land, you do more damage with a larger clip. In addition, you're also increasing your odds of getting headshots.

Bog

Junior Ace
Lost my PS3 and all saves to the YLOD recently. Anyone happen to have a save file right around Chapter 12? My VC save was the only thing on the drive I actually cared about.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Bog said:
Lost my PS3 and all saves to the YLOD recently. Anyone happen to have a save file right around Chapter 12? My VC save was the only thing on the drive I actually cared about.
That sucks. If you still have the system, you can try doing the blow dryer trick to recover your saves. I managed to get all my saves back using that trick.

Here's a couple of those saves. I still haven't replaced my dead system so I don't really know what's on those saves, I just used the icon pictures to figure it out :D

According to the icon pictures, there's a Ch 10, 11, and 12 save in that zip. Hope it helps.

Hag

Been playing this for a while. Simply amazing game so far and one of the best ones for Ps3 to me. I love everything in it. :D

I'm kinda stuck in chapter 13. Any tips to deal with Selvaria? I gonna level up a bit for now...

Bog said:
If Killthee's saves are not to your liking, I must have tens of saves at each chapter (i was cheap and saving pretty often mid-battle).

Hag said:
Been playing this for a while. Simply amazing game so far and one of the best ones for Ps3 to me. I love everything in it. :D

I'm kinda stuck in chapter 13. Any tips to deal with Selvaria? I gonna level up a bit for now...

I don't remember exactly how I went through it, but I remember it was a bit fucked up. Try to push many troops as fast as possible on the other side. If i remember correctly, make sure to make selvaria appear at the very beginning of your turn, and use smoke to cover your tanks (i think). i am sure others will have better advice :)

Bog

Junior Ace
Awesome. Thanks, guys.

I still have to figure out what to do with this PS3. I may try the blow dryer trick just to attempt to rescue the drive. It's seriously 15 minutes of heat on there?

Killthee

Bog said:
Awesome. Thanks, guys.

I still have to figure out what to do with this PS3. I may try the blow dryer trick just to attempt to rescue the drive. It's seriously 15 minutes of heat on there?
I had to do it three times before it took, but some people have had success on their first try. Make sure you give it enough time to cool down and set the fan on low, I think that might have been part of the reason why it didn't take for me till the 3rd try.

Once it was up though, I had it on for a couple of hours before I shut it off voluntarily.

Hag said:

Mortar her.
once every round is enough. If she turns purple your golden.

Hag

PuppetSlave said:
Mortar her.
once every round is enough. If she turns purple your golden.

harriet the spy said:
I don't remember exactly how I went through it, but I remember it was a bit fucked up. Try to push many troops as fast as possible on the other side. If i remember correctly, make sure to make selvaria appear at the very beginning of your turn, and use smoke to cover your tanks (i think). i am sure others will have better advice :)

Thanks for the tips!

Hag said:
Thanks for the tips!
ah- a last tip in general for the whole game: for most of the game i didn't want to use orders, thought it was wasting 1, what, 2,3 APs! Unconceivable! At some point you realise that some orders turn your units in half-gods. You realize a 2AP antitank order on a scout makes them destroy tanks by simply shooting at their vent (given that scouts travel much faster than lancers, you can breeze through tank heavy areas and just murder all tanks with a fucking scout).

This might not be relevant for this mission, but if there is one thing I wish i had known at the beginning of the game, it's that.

(incidentally i started playing VC2 and once again i refuse to use orders :lol especially given the low AP you have in that game).

Hag

Yeah, same thing here too. I think I used once in the game until now. I need to see the order that you are talking about though. Looks like a cheat :lol

Hag said:
Yeah, same thing here too. I think I used once in the game until now. I need to see the order that you are talking about though. Looks like a cheat :lol
It's not just one order, though. There are tons of orders which can be really, really powerful, and a better use of your AP than just an extra turn for a troop.
Attack, Defense, all attack, all defense, evade( <3), all evade (<3 <3), many of them are really powerful. Of course if it's a single unit boost, you'll need to use that unit several times in the same turn. Works great with scouts since they can travel much.

For instance, an Attack + Defense + evade on a good scout makes it a really, really powerful unit for a turn, often able to attack a base by itself.
The particular AT order I was mentioned is called 'Damage' (obtained at lv7 lancer), I think. Later in the game you'll need demolition if you want to one-shot tanks with scouts. (Damage on shocktroopers is also very useful)

AniHawk

It's been 9 months and this is still in my head. So good.

Edit: Oh fuck. It's because I'm playing OB64 for the first time. Thought they sounded a little similar, but I didn't know it was Sakimoto. Seriously, that's freaky as hell. Like that time I thought Beyond Good & Evil carried a lot of the same qualities Rayman 2 had even though I had no idea Ancel was the director for both.

Giolon

AniHawk said:

I love that battle music. It sports such tension while remaining upbeat. I put VC1 in this evening after some frustration with VC2 just to remind myself why I love so much about this game.

VC2 definitely has some standout nice tracks - but none of them really inspire the same feelings as VC1.

Ellis Kim

Banned
AniHawk said:

Edit: Oh fuck. It's because I'm playing OB64 for the first time. Thought they sounded a little similar, but I didn't know it was Sakimoto. Seriously, that's freaky as hell. Like that time I thought Beyond Good & Evil carried a lot of the same qualities Rayman 2 had even though I had no idea Ancel was the director for both.
http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=1122

This is great to read while listening to the OST :)

AniHawk

Giolon said:
I love that battle music. It sports such tension while remaining upbeat. I put VC1 in this evening after some frustration with VC2 just to remind myself why I love so much about this game.

The part at 1:14 or 1:15 is the particular moment when I feel like, "MAKE THOSE PUNKS DANCE, VYSE" or have a scout run halfway across a map with EVERYONE shooting at them, but it doesn't matter because the scouts are too badass to be stopped.

VC2 definitely has some standout nice tracks - but none of them really inspire the same feelings as VC1.

I'll have to give VC2's tracklist a listen.

Giolon

Alter's Selvaria is in stock at major importers like AmiAmi and HobbySearch. If you missed out on ebCraft's fine edition, here's your chance to pick up another awesome rendition of Selvaria.
Too bad the USD is at a 15 year low against the Yen. My wallet can't take this. T.T

I'll post pics once she shows up.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Alter's Selvaria is in stock at major importers like AmiAmi and HobbySearch. If you missed out on ebCraft's fine edition, here's your chance to pick up another awesome rendition of Selvaria.
Too bad the USD is at a 15 year low against the Yen. My wallet can't take this. T.T

Yeah, the got the email too.

Stupid ass government can't keep the dollar up, it is pretty annoying for gamers like myself who buys games, manga, artbooks, soundtracks, and figures from Japan.

Lain

Giolon said:

It's too bad, I didn't have the money for the other one, and I don't have the money for this one as well.
It sucks, as they are both great figures.

Giolon

Warning! A Huge Photo Post Approaches!

And she's arrived! For those who missed out on my photos of the Selvaria figure by ebCraft, you can find them here.

This is the Selvaria Bles figure by Alter. She's supposed to be 1/7 scale, compared to ebCraft's 1/6 scale rendition, but Alter's is actually slightly larger. Those "scale" numbers are often pulled out of the manufacturer's asses anyway.

Let's start with the box. I'll just say, in typical Alter fashion, it's goregous:

|||

Now let's check the figure out, cape first. I really like that Alter gives you the option to display her with or without her cape. It's those kinds of extras that can make a figure great. The base is not actually mottled, that's just the reflection of my wall and ceiling. It's just an extremely reflective black plastic surface. I'm glad that she's not slightly smiling as she was on the prototype pictures (and still is on the box).

|||

Now let's check out the awesome lance that we all fear so much! Alter has chosen to go with Selvaria's iconic threatening pose. I love it! And they figured out a way to get it to stand up without assistance (though there is a clear stand for the lance if you're worried about it).

|
||

Update 10/25/10: While she's perfectly capable of balancing without the support stand for the lance, mine has already started to drop after just 24 hours. Even with a metal rod reinforcing the arm internally, it doesn't look like this anymore without the support of the stand. It's angled downward a few degrees. A disappointing turn.

Finally, let's see some direct comparison shots between the two figures:

|

You'll see that each figure has their pros and cons. Alter's figure has the iconic pose, better gold painted trim on the pants, a varied blue hue on the lance (botom lance), and the whole cape option. The ebCraft figure has what I feel is a more accurately proportioned face, better painted hair with blue highlights, a more accurately modeled lance (check out the rear section, it actually retracts slightly), better gold paint, and a far more interesting base.

If you can only pick one of them up (which given the low production run of the ebCraft figure and how long ago it came out is probably the case), you should pick up Alter's version. Though if you're going to do so, you'd better hurry. AmiAmi is alread sold out (though I've seen a handful of them pop back up in their store), and Hobby Search has already raised their price 1000 yen.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I got my Alter Selvaria Bles figure in, goodbye $150 ;-;

It was well worth it, the box is huge and the figure is gorgeous. My room is small so I will have the figure sans Valkyria artifacts (even then the figure is MASSIVE).

I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

Draikin 2

While it's been released for a while now, I only ended up buying the Alter 1/7 version recently. It's a great figure, but unfortunately in my case Selvaria's head actually fell off as soon as I tried to take the figure out of the packaging. The part connecting the head to the figure apparently broke off and is still stuck in the figure. Given how much the figure costs, I'm not going to risk trying to glue it together (which would also leave me unable to equip/remove the cape) and try to get a replacement...

1stStrike

Banned
So, I just picked this game up the other day. I'm up to chapter 11 so far.

Here's my overall thoughts at this point:

Pros:

- Love the combat system. It's a nice change to be able to go to each individual unit and control them. Puts you in the action while still giving you that great overhead view.

- The world design is fantastic. I love the way they did the game and how unique everything looks.

- Voice overs are, for the most part, pretty good. Definitely above average in most cases, which is a nice change.

- Story is interesting so far, but I feel like I've only hit the tip of the iceberg.

Cons:

- The parts where they
split you from your team and you have to make your way back. Welkin is so fucking useless outside of his tank.

- The lancers. Oh my god, the lancers. I keep leveling them up and doing everything I can, but they still miss so god damn often it makes them almost useless.

- Aiming. That shit is so sensitive I sometimes have to spend 30 seconds just lining up a shot because I can't get the god damn cross hairs centered onto the guys head. I think they should've simply made the head snap as well so you can just tap up on the analog stick or something.

- I don't have a Valkyria :|

- Going from chapter, to chapter, to chapter is a bit tedious at times. I'd rather just one long cut scene rather then 5 - 10 minutes straight of pressing X over and over.

So, that's up to chapter 11. Most of the cons are just annoyances with the game, and nothing major. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens later on in the game.

Killthee

1stStrike said:
- Aiming. That shit is so sensitive I sometimes have to spend 30 seconds just lining up a shot because I can't get the god damn cross hairs centered onto the guys head. I think they should've simply made the head snap as well so you can just tap up on the analog stick or something.
It's been a while since I played, but iirc you can use the D-pad for minor adjustments.

1stStrike

Banned
Killthee said:
It's been a while since I played, but iirc you can use the D-pad for minor adjustments.

Ahh, I'll have to try that. It was driving me nuts, cause I'd have the cross hair almost where I wanted it... and then it'd jerk way over to the right and I'd have to start all over!

Killthee

1stStrike said:
Ahh, I'll have to try that. It was driving me nuts, cause I'd have the cross hair almost where I wanted it... and then it'd jerk way over to the right and I'd have to start all over!
Yeah that used to piss me off as well until I accidentally pressed the d-pad and it hit me I was doing it wrong :lol

As for the lancers, I got tired of them missing so much early on in the game that I changed my strategy. I went from shooting from a safe distance to shooting mostly at point blank range. I would keep my lancers as reserves and when it was clear I would need a lancer, I would capture the closest base next to the target, call one to the field, have them storm the tank alone, and then shoot as soon as I got a good clear shot of the crystal. If you get close enough they can't miss because the crystal fills up the reticule :D

1stStrike

Banned
Killthee said:
Yeah that used to piss me off as well until I accidentally pressed the d-pad and it hit me I was doing it wrong :lol

As for the lancers, I got tired of them missing so much early on in the game that I changed my strategy. I went from shooting from a safe distance to shooting mostly at point blank range. I would keep my lancers as reserves and when it was clear I would need a lancer, I would capture the closest base next to the target, call one to the field, have them storm the tank alone, and then shoot as soon as I got a good clear shot of the crystal. If you get close enough they can't miss because the crystal fills up the reticule :D

Yeah, I've started to kinda do that. I want to actually make use of the snipers, but they are difficult to use in most maps since they can run all of 20 feet. I'd rather just take a scout and run all the way there and at least get some guaranteed damage. I've started to pretty much go like 2 engineers, 2 shock troopers, and the rest scouts at the beginning of a battle. If you keep the scouts together they can light some shit up.

1stStrike

Banned
So, what'da know, using the D-pad works like a charm :p

Oh, and omfg at the train mission. Failed it once when my entire team failed to stop a lancer who shot my tank in the ass, and then the 2nd try took me an hour to do because I couldn't figure out where the next objective was. If I was actually a team leader irl all of my team would be dead lol

Ellis Kim

Banned
Protip: you can save mid-battle.

- I don't have a Valkyria :|
After you finish the main story, go to the PSN store and buy "Behind her Blue Flame." Its one the two DLC missions that came out for VC1. If you like Homer, Edie, Marina, Jann, Susie, and/or Lynn, then you'll probably be also interested in the other DLC mission too.

I really loved this game at first. Now I'm up to the part where I'm "battling" in the woods and Alicia has a limp leg and the game's awesome has worn down and I don't know if I'll keep playing. The last big battle was so damn frustrating and being a game where all you do is battle, its gotten a bit old. Its definitely a gorgeous and unique game but the excitement has died a bit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jonnybryce said:
I really loved this game at first. Now I'm up to the part where I'm "battling" in the woods and Alicia has a limp leg and the game's awesome has worn down and I don't know if I'll keep playing. The last big battle was so damn frustrating and being a game where all you do is battle, its gotten a bit old. Its definitely a gorgeous and unique game but the excitement has died a bit.

For me, at least, it got increasingly awesome as the stakes got higher later in the game. I think you're still in a fairly easy, somewhat early part. Some of the later battles are tougher but if you keep saving after every other turn to be safe and have a decent strategy, you can push through and win that shit. I'm not good at games and I did it. T'was so satisfying to bring blue hair big titty lady and her whole crew down in that one crazy mission.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
jonnybryce said:

Keep going, it's well worth it. :)

Ok, if you guys recommend continuing I shall. I think part of the problem is I haven't played it in a while due to a tough semester so I fell out of the engaged mode I was in. I will beat this game this month!

NinjaBoiX

I need to get this back from a friend I lent it to. Want to start my second playthrough! Does it get harder second time round to account for a stronger squad?

Top Bottom