• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

zurra

Kagari said:
I would like more games made with the Canvas engine, personally. I mean... they didn't spend 3 years developing it for just one game, right...?
A Valkyria game set back in the time of the Valkyrur would be cool. A full-fledged RPG (Skies of Arcadia-related or something else) with lots of exploration or even a Phantasy Star Online/Universe using the engine would be pretty rad, too. There are way too many possibilities now that the engine is built, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

What's the deal with the Abyss anime's music? The credits say it's Sakuraba, whether or not it's from the game there's that at least...

zurra

some dude said:
Fuck this bitch, her shield and her fucking gun lance...
Gotta agree with this one to some extent, my reaction when she started mowing down everyone wasn't very different. :lol

NOT FAIR!

Leam

zurra said:
Gotta agree with this one to some extent, my reaction when she started mowing down everyone wasn't very different. :lol

NOT FAIR!

First time she showed i ended up with my whole team hidden behind a small wall and the tank in the middle :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zurra said:
A Valkyria game set back in the time of the Valkyrur would be cool. A full-fledged RPG (Skies of Arcadia-related or something else) with lots of exploration or even a Phantasy Star Online/Universe using the engine would be pretty rad, too. There are way too many possibilities now that the engine is built, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

What's the deal with the Abyss anime's music? The credits say it's Sakuraba, whether or not it's from the game there's that at least...

You serious? I had no fucking idea it was Sakuraba that did the music since is sucks so much ass in the anime.

On your first statement, I agree with you that having a Valkyria game back in the Vakurur period would be cool. I also want to know more about
who the fuck is Alicia's mom, since her and her father probably carried Valkyrian blood.

zurra

Hcoregamer00 said:
You serious? I had no fucking idea it was Sakuraba that did the music since is sucks so much ass in the anime.

On your first statement, I agree with you that having a Valkyria game back in the Vakurur period would be cool. I also want to know more about
who the fuck is Alicia's mom, since her and her father probably carried Valkyrian blood.
Some of it has his bombastic feel, I thought it came straight from the game. The rest is throwaway, though!

Gotta agree with your other point.
I've been wondering since watching the opening video, since they show her glowing blue. Thought maybe it would be expanded on in a report or something.
Oh well, just sell me another game about it. You know what, set it during EWI with Belgen and Theimer. Just for kicks.

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
Some of it has his bombastic feel, I thought it came straight from the game. The rest is throwaway, though!

Gotta agree with your other point.
I've been wondering since watching the opening video, since they show her glowing blue. Thought maybe it would be expanded on in a report or something.
Oh well, just sell me another game about it. You know what, set it during EWI with Belgen and Theimer. Just for kicks.

I still can't get over the fact that they spoil one of the biggest plot twists of the game in the opening. What the hell were they thinking?

Aside from that, they should develop the Valkyria universe, there really is so many ways they could develop it.

1. Valkyrur period
2. EW1
3. Consolidation of the Empire into the Eastern Europan Imperial Alliance (that would be a fun game)
4. Future war in Europa

etc....

I know I posted it earlier and I am being redundant, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Pachael

Don't hold your breath for the anime yet - these can differ significantly from the original source (that's what happened when Sega did this with Sakura Taisen, and more recently World Destruction).

Abyss, by sticking to the original script, does far better.

zurra

I'm actually hoping they make the anime about the game's story, so one of the other points in the timeline could be used for a game instead. But that's some serious wishful thinking. Gotta get more people to buy it, even if it ends up sitting in their backlog for a while.

vag 2.0

After a break for Gears 2, I finally got down to C7. Surprisingly beat it on my first try, but lord that was tense.

I can't help grinning when things come together; that's the sign of a great game for me.

kay

Just completed it and now hearing about the anime is great..great just like the game! An incredible experience that shouldn't be missed for anyone interested. Bravo Sega of Japan, bravo.

I guess this is going to be a 12-13 episode anime but I'm happy, I love the game. Sadly the anime is not going to make any difference on the game sales.

Lain

I'm still behind playing this game. Completed chapter 7 today (got a B rank on the first try, altho the blue witch almost ruined everything... as she came on she killed Rosie, then Largo, then Alicia who I sent to call the medic for Largo... damn you blue tittied witch!) and went to work on chapter 8, but I'm having more problems with that than with the previous one (sneaking around is annoying, altho it is sort of fun).
Trying to kill all the ace enemies while hitting all the plants and completing the map as fast as possible seems harder than blowing up an unkillable tank ><

Defuser

Jeebus, Chapter 7 is scary all right. Selvaria sure can damn attack anywhere on the map without her moving. Luckily I took out the tank easily with plenty of CP left.

linsivvi

rockman zx said:
I guess this is going to be a 12-13 episode anime but I'm happy, I love the game. Sadly the anime is not going to make any difference on the game sales.

Probably not. But if the show is popular enough, it'd help fund the next game and generate better sales.

buffi

Banned
Unfortunately it feels like an anime that is unlikely to become licensed, which means that there isn't really that much we can do outside of Japan to help out when it comes to revenue.

Sure, you can import the Japanese DVD's but I don't really feel like getting them since the chances are probably less than 1% that they will be subtitled.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Leam said:
First time she showed i ended up with my whole team hidden behind a small wall and the tank in the middle :lol

:lol :lol :lol

That's what happened to me too... I pulled everyone back and had them just hide.
She's an animal.

Volcynika said:
I'm going to do Chapter 7 either today or tomorrow. Should I be scared? D:

Yes... a bit. :)

Last night I wanted to play SO much, but Chapter 8's first mission really screwed me up. I finally beat it, but man, I wasn't expecting such a tough mission - tough because of my own screw ups.

I keep trying to spread the word on this game! :)

I haven't encountered her yet. But I dislike Selvaria. I never really liked her or anyone in the Empire. All of those sons-o'-bitches are invading for stupid shit, and are terrorizing innocent people. Fuck 'em.

Volcynika said:

I was so scared after reading everything on here, but I blew up the tank in the same turn that she showed up, so I didn't really have any problems. It was a LOT easier than I had expected it to be.

RpgN

Volcynika said:

Yes, you should. Edelweiss will come in very handy, don't forget that.

El _TigroX, screw ups, huh? I thought it was more of the easier missions if you go all stealth. And I managed to kill all the soldiers there (including the ace). Paring your attacks is a life saviour there.

I like how each chapter has been different so far.

I just finished chapter 9 that was very unique too. At the first try, I thought it was very hard. But somehow I figured how to destroy the tank unharmed, and ended up finishing it in 4 turns and got myself an A.

I love how these kind of games make you use your head :p

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
RpgN said:
El _TigroX, screw ups, huh? I thought it was more of the easier missions if you go all stealth. And I managed to kill all the soldiers there (including the ace). Paring your attacks is a life saviour there.

Yeah... I was tired and found that I made some stupid mistakes.

I would over-do it
with Alicia and make her go too far only to not be able to get outside of the mortar radius... or a couple times, I turned the corner with Ty the Immortal, and thought he couldn't see me only to get machine gunned to death very quickly. Those types of screw ups on my part that were frustrating, but only because I sucked, not the game.

Puli

Banned
I've been looking at every Circuit City I can find to try and get this game. Had I known they would all be out I could have probably just ordered from amazon and had it by now. Oh well, the demo and all the positive things in this thread have sold me on this game.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Puli said:
I've been looking at every Circuit City I can find to try and get this game. Had I known they would all be out I could have probably just ordered from amazon and had it by now. Oh well, the demo and all the positive things in this thread have sold me on this game.

Keep up the good fight Puli... you're going to find the game and love it!

Barrett2

Puli said:

Print out the CC coupon and take it to Best Buy for the price match.

RaPt[+]R

Neo Member
Just got Valkyria last night. What an AMAZING game. From the second I started playing, I was swept up in its story and unique combat system. I'm just sad that this game, like so many other Sega games, will probably go under the radar during this extremely busy holiday season.

Hcoregamer00

U K Narayan said:
I haven't encountered her yet. But I dislike Selvaria. I never really liked her or anyone in the Empire. All of those sons-o'-bitches are invading for stupid shit, and are terrorizing innocent people. Fuck 'em.

Really? I disagree.

The Villains are pretty good in this game.

Gen. Jaeger seems to be the chivalrous warrior, Gen. Gregor is the evil general that shows that even he is human, Gen. Selvaria is the loyal general (absolutely insane) who just happens to be extremely powerful, and Maximillian is a prince who wants the crown, who will do it at any cost.

Selvaria is pretty crazy, I have a feeling that if
maximillian never rescued her from the test facility
she would have likely turned out to be another Kefka or Albedo, totally insane with no attachment to reality. It also explains her total devotion to him that has no romantic love attached to it (a la Legretta from Tales of the Abyss).

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really? I disagree.

The Villains are pretty good in this game.

Gen. Jaeger seems to be the chivalrous warrior, Gen. Gregor is the evil general that shows that even he is human, Gen. Selvaria is the loyal general (absolutely insane) who just happens to be extremely powerful, and Maximillian is a prince who wants the crown, who will do it at any cost.

Selvaria is pretty crazy, I have a feeling that if
maximillian never rescued her from the test facility
she would have likely turned out to be another Kefka or Albedo, totally insane with no attachment to reality. It also explains her total devotion to him that has no romantic love attached to it (a la Legretta from Tales of the Abyss).
Oh, I'm not saying that the villains are bad. They're definitely good and interesting. I just dislike the Empire's motives. Just my general bias until I learn more about them. :p

Hcoregamer00

U K Narayan said:
Oh, I'm not saying that the villains are bad. They're definitely good and interesting. I just dislike the Empire's motives. Just my general bias until I learn more about them. :p

I was merely pointing out that they are multifaceted and deeper than just "evil generals." Sure they are all evil and reprehensible, but they all have different motivations and ways to engage in war. Ironically enough, it is starting to seem like my Avatar is the most evil of them all, but yet the most tragic one.

Don't hate on Selvaria until you beat the game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
She's just Darth Vader, really, she's not all that interesting so far, but then I got to chapter 8 and haven't touched it since.

Hcoregamer00

McBradders said:
She's just Darth Vader, really, she's not all that interesting so far, but then I got to chapter 8 and haven't touched it since.

Well sorry, I found Darth Vader quite interesting.

I am in Chapter 14 and I can say that her development is still underwhelming, but they say things here and there that imply a very tragic life for her. You can't help but feel a little empathy for her situation.

Dave1988

Wow, I just saw the cutscene where
Alicia awakens and proceeds to kick Silvaria's ass
SO AWESOME :D

Hcoregamer00 said:

I am in Chapter 14 and I can say that her development is still underwhelming, but they say things here and there that imply a very tragic life for her. You can't help but feel a little empathy for her situation.

Nope. The "villain with a tragic past ;_;" thing doesn't work on me.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Hcoregamer00 said:

Darth Vader wasn't interesting until the end of the Empire Strikes Back, up to that point he was just an uber-badass. I'm sure she gets more interesting, but so far all I've seen her do is play lapdog to her "Emperor", beat the living shit out of my squad then play baseball with a tank shell...

Farnack

Banned
McBradders said:
Darth Vader was interesting until he was played by Hayden Christensen.

zurra

Dave1988 said:
Wow, I just saw the cutscene where
Alicia awakens and proceeds to kick Silvaria's ass
SO AWESOME :D

Nope. The "villain with a tragic past ;_;" thing doesn't work on me.
Dang it, I saw the spoiler when I quoted you, but it was expected to happen anyway. :lol

I feel the same way about that kind of villain. Screw tragic past, always hated that kind of thing in Final Fantasy, just have her be evil BECAUSE SHE'S EVIL. No special reason necessary.

Dave1988

zurra said:
Dang it, I saw the spoiler when I quoted you, but it was expected to happen anyway. :lol

I feel the same way about that kind of villain. Screw tragic past, always hated that kind of thing in Final Fantasy, just have her be evil BECAUSE SHE'S EVIL. No special reason necessary.

Sorry, there can only be one Kefka ;p

Hcoregamer00

Dave1988 said:
Sorry, there can only be one Kefka ;p

Albedo is Kefka 2.0

zurra said:

No, I hate having a character for the sake of being evil. Even Kefka and Albedo were evil because of something that happened in the past.

This black and white view of evil bothers me because there is no such thing as that in the real world. People just don't wake up one morning and decide to wipe out an entire nation just for the hell of it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
U K Narayan said:
I don't know. Considering A-1's apparently mediocre track record, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Doesn't mean I'm not excited, though. I really hope it turns out well.
Mediocre?!?

They did Ookiku Furikabutte, which is only the best baseball anime ever! You go die in a fire now.

Zoe said:
The anime's gonna be made by Sony, eh?

:lol

wat

zurra

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, I hate having a character for the sake of being evil. Even Kefka and Albedo were evil because of something that happened in the past.

This black and white view of evil bothers me because there is no such thing as that in the real world. People just don't wake up one morning and decide to wipe out an entire nation just for the hell of it.
That's true, but you don't feel very sympathetic for what happened to guys like Kefka or Albedo, either. Maybe a little for Albedo. Guys like them, it was a little incident or mishap that made them go crazy evil. Or guys like Kuja that get tossed aside and decide to take the world down with him. Tragic pasts and hidden origins, things that make you feel sorry for them... that sort of villainy doesn't work for me. I guess it depends how they spin it with the Triumviri, I doubt I'll end up disliking any of them though, they're cool characters even if not my type of villains.

Zoe said:
Aniplex logo on the bottom right of the page.
A-1 Pictures is a subsidiary of Aniplex, so it would make sense that Aniplex (and therefore Sony) is involved. But that's like saying Kannagi is made by Sony, which paints entirely the wrong picture.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zoe said:
Aniplex logo on the bottom right of the page.
I guess I should stop interpreting things too literally. I don't equate "funding" as the same thing as "the ones primarily doing all the work producing and creating."

Top Bottom