• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
If Tales of the Abyss is anything to go by, it will be a good anime without the amazing soundtrack.

>:| Sunrise fails in that aspect.

BUT STILL.

VAKYRIA ANIME :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ferrio said:
Okay what's the deal with ch 8 and the sneaking mission

There's a damn shocktrooper and scout camping around a corner. WHenever welkin or alicia try to run/crawl sneak past I just get blown away.

Oh and it's boring as hell too.

That Shock Trooper is such a pain in the ass because he's a named enemy. You can avoid him, but that means missing out on his awesome gun.

Gonna quote myself from earlier in the thread on how to do that part:

ixix said:
When you first enter the clearing where Ty the Immortal is, there's a long stretch of grass to your right. Have Welkin enter first, and immediately start crawling through the grass. You can pick off the generic enemy by shooting from the grass without alerting Ty. Once you do that, crawl to the end of the grass and double back to get behind Ty. Chuck a grenade at him and he'll turn around, conveniently presenting his back to the clearing entrance, but won't counterattack. Get Welkin out of his line of sight and end his turn. Then take control of Alicia, enter the clearing with Ty's back toward you, walk right up behind him and enter aiming mode. He should have started turning toward Alicia as she got closer, so just stick your gun in his face and open fire. With the grenade damage four or five rounds should be enough to do him in.

The gun you get for killing him can make an upcoming mission laughably easy, by the way.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kagari said:
>:| Sunrise fails in that aspect.

BUT STILL.

VAKYRIA ANIME :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It would be sweet if they could integrate the musical score from the game, or even better, have Sakimoto do the soundtrack for the anime.

I can dream can't I ;-;

But yeah, I am happy it is getting an anime. Hopefully they have screen time for Susie, Catherine, Jann, Aika, Vyse, and others.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
It would be sweet if they could integrate the musical score from the game, or even better, have Sakimoto do the soundtrack for the anime.

I can dream can't I ;-;

But yeah, I am happy it is getting an anime. Hopefully they have screen time for Susie, Catherine, Jann, Aika, Vyse, and others.

Now about that manga...

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
Now about that manga...

The regular one or the yaoi? :lol

Frankly I am still shocked that no one is scanlating either of them. What the fuck guys? first you don't do Hayate, now you are ignoring this potential gem.

Shadow780

Don't avoid them, take them on.

You can finished the mission with A rank and defeat all leaders and the ace.

To defeat the shocktrooper ace:

approach the ace by hiding in the bush, take the right path and stand by the boulder, and position yourself so that the scout stands in between you and the ace, S/L to get headshots on ace, when he counters he'll end up shooting mostly at the scout. Afterwards order Alicia and finish off the ace.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:

Frankly I am still shocked that no one is scanlating either of them. What the fuck guys? first you don't do Hayate, now you are ignoring this potential gem.

Scanlators be slacking.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:

Neither..

yuri please

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
Neither..

yuri please

Sorry, the only official stuff is the Regular series and the Yaoi release.

Looking at the Valkyria website I saw this about the anime, are there bigger pictures?

ss_01.jpg

Shadow780 said:
What if
Largo's doing the penetrating with his lance, is it still considered BOYS-love?

You are not Jann, why are you saying this?

Farnack

Banned
Finished the game. ^_^

I just love it when they please the crowd.
Ferrio said:
I can't avoid them! Look here's my situation.

If I go out there, I die... it's the ONLY path.
I dunno what to tell you.

I had scouts level 11, so nade launchers helped so much. You could run past that path, you can avoid the mine, and then hopefully get a good headshot from behind.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
DAMN IT...why yaoi :{

come on~either yuri or H

That's because that stuff doesn't sell.

Just go to a Borders and Barnes and Noble in the states. In Japan just look at the amount of Yuri mags compared to Yaoi ones.

Speaking of the anime, I checked 50 websites in Japanese and crosschecked 戦場のヴァルキュリア with TVアニメ and didn't find any pictures aside from the one I posted from the Sega website.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
That's because that stuff doesn't sell.

Just go to a Borders and Barnes and Noble in the states. In Japan just look at the amount of Yuri mags compared to Yaoi ones.

Fangirls are rabid.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Just about to finish this baby up....one more chapter, I think.

Only thing aside from the story (it's a decent plot, and I like the personnel files and the twist about the
Valkyrur rewriting history, not many war games have ever addressed that
, however, I could guess far too much of the story a mile away, but I digress), the only thing I really didn't like about the game was the lack of variety in the regular campaign.

One "sneaking" mission, one "trap" mission, and all the rest of the time, it's you pressing the attack.

I would have really liked more sneaking or defensive missions like some of the "reports".

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
That's kinda true....:lol

I am not shocked considering the amount of pedophilia runs through /a/

Yes, I consider lolicons pedophiles.

O snap, I found one

(neutral) Farnack
Goddamn pedo

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:

O snap, I found one

(neutral) Farnack
Goddamn pedo

:lol :lol

I considered loli a disability.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
I'm surprised at the amount of recognition it's getting on 4chan. Heh.

That's not a good sign, because people should be talking about it in the videogame section

:lol

Shadow780 said:
hopefully they'll buy more copies~

All 7 of them available in stores?

zurra

YESSSSSS VALKYRIA ANIME!!!!!!! OMG :D :D :D :D A-1 Pictures is a decent studio, too. Hopefully this turns out well!

Just finished Chapter 7 on the first try, somehow. I initially only intended to see what happens after
you take out all the turrets on the Batomys
, but after that it went pretty smoothly until
Selvaria showed up, at which point they had 20 CP available and I had every fear that she was going to mow down my entire squad in one turn. :lol Right before she showed up I had taken down the final radiator enough that it only needed one more shot, but then I got scared again when the body had to be taken out, too.

Had a few deaths overall, but none were permanent, and managed to clear it with a B rank. That was one heck of a fight! It's extremely terrifying that
the Batomys wasn't even a Destroyer. I think I am going to pee my pants when that thing shows up...

Largo's
report was pretty cool, too. First time I've actually lost a mission due to haphazardly running into enemy fire, even though it was supposed to be a sneaking mission. :X This game is sooooo good...

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
YESSSSSS VALKYRIA ANIME!!!!!!! OMG :D :D :D :D A-1 Pictures is a decent studio, too. Hopefully this turns out well!

Just finished Chapter 7 on the first try, somehow. I initially only intended to see what happens after
you take out all the turrets on the Batomys
, but after that it went pretty smoothly until
Selvaria showed up, at which point they had 20 CP available and I had every fear that she was going to mow down my entire squad in one turn. :lol Right before she showed up I had taken down the final radiator enough that it only needed one more shot, but then I got scared again when the body had to be taken out, too.

Had a few deaths overall, but none were permanent, and managed to clear it with a B rank. That was one heck of a fight! It's extremely terrifying that
the Batomys wasn't even a Destroyer. I think I am going to pee my pants when that thing shows up...

This game is sooooo good...

Good to see that the people that gave it a chance are loving it.

I am still worried about the anime. After all, if people see the anime and it is underwhelming, they will be less apt to test out the (far superior) game.

Shadow780 said:
fuck stores, go Amazon...

Amazon doesn't show up on NPD, which means that the game will have approximately 560 copies sold if everyone goes to Amazon.

Farnack

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

O snap, I found one

(neutral) Farnack
Goddamn pedo
I only browse /gif/ >_>;;

And the other 4chan. XD

Hcoregamer00

It just occurred to me that an anime means more Valkyria fanart of variable quality.

Looking at the Japanese websites all I found was Selvaria stuff. What the hell Japan? Selvaria is great, but Valkyria has so many other great characters.

zurra

Hcoregamer00 said:
Good to see that the people that gave it a chance are loving it.

I am still worried about the anime. After all, if people see the anime and it is underwhelming, they will be less apt to test out the (far superior) game.

Amazon doesn't show up on NPD, which means that the game will have approximately 560 copies sold if everyone goes to Amazon.
Gave it a chance? I've been onboard since the first scans showed up. This game is one of the primary reasons I got a PS3. :p

I feel the same way about the anime, and whether it's good or not, what about the CANVAS art style? Or maybe people will see the anime and feel like they don't have to play the game if it's the same story.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
It just occurred to me that an anime means more Valkyria fanart of variable quality.

Looking at the Japanese websites all I found was Selvaria stuff. What the hell Japan? Selvaria is great, but Valkyria has so many other great characters.

Well.

I don't think I have to say it.

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
Gave it a chance? I've been onboard since the first scans showed up. This game is one of the primary reasons I got a PS3. :p

I feel the same way about the anime, and whether it's good or not, what about the CANVAS art style? Or maybe people will see the anime and feel like they don't have to play the game if it's the same story.

Same here, just look at my first post about this game (which was made a year ago). I was on board the game when it was first announced.

Hopefully the Valkyria anime is more of a positive and increases buzz so that we can get a second game. Heck, I hope this also means more exposure to the Anime community so I can see some Valkyria Chronicles cosplay at Anime Expo 2009.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I would like more games made with the Canvas engine, personally. I mean... they didn't spend 3 years developing it for just one game, right...?

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
I would like more games made with the Canvas engine, personally. I mean... they didn't spend 3 years developing it for just one game, right...?

Getting close to the end of VC I prefer that they expand the Valkyria universe.

There is so much to do and so much to tell.

Durante

I'm not sure how I feel about the anime. I can't think of many game-based anime that lived up to the game, but I can think of a lot that horribly mutilated it.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the anime. I can't think of many game-based anime that lived up to the game, but I can think of a lot that horribly mutilated it.

Tales of the Abyss is the first video game to anime transition that is actually exceptional. As I pointed out earlier, even this transition has some problems because it has an original anime musical score that was inferior to the game release. Aside from that it is quite well done, especially the high production values and its faithfulness to the original story and character designs.

Considering how great Valkyria Chronicle's soundtrack is, an original anime score will no doubt disappoint. It will also probably disappoint on the character design end.

Top Bottom