• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
U K Narayan said:
I think that's Catherine O'Hara. She's pretty ace.

I used her twice and she kept doing a poor job hitting the target that I had to bench her. :( I know that everyone is the same, but for some reason, she wasn't doing the job. :(

Baha

El_TigroX said:
I used her twice and she kept doing a poor job hitting the target that I had to bench her. :( I know that everyone is the same, but for some reason, she wasn't doing the job. :(

I think that depends on how good your rifles are. I got Catherine shortly after I upgraded my sniper rifles for increased accuracy and she's only missed 1 out of 8 shots since I've used her. I like Marina better since her Extra Shot potential tends to be useful.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Baha said:
I think that depends on how good your rifles are. I got Catherine shortly after I upgraded my sniper rifles for increased accuracy and she's only missed 1 out of 8 shots since I've used her. I like Marina better since her Extra Shot potential tends to be useful.
Heh...for me, Catherine was the one who ended up with Extra Shot. I think Marina ended up with the nest one instead.

Beat the game. The last mission
was surprisingly easy and straightforward. Took me only 3 turns and was probably my best result next to the first mission. :lol
Really great and outstanding game, though. My only grip with VC is the rather weak story full of clichè and kitsch. Other than that it is was full of awesome and a very unique and satisfying experience. <3

Beat chp11. with an A rank, and I wasn't even trying to go that quickly. Finishing with Largo 1-shotting the radiator on not one but two tanks was a nice climax.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Fucking A

After the cool cutscene in Mission 14 (major spoiler)
where Alicia fights Selvaria and beats her
I am stuck in the damn mission. It is not like it is impossible, but it is annoying as hell when you wipe out all the troops and then enemy reinforcements arrive every turn.

What is your strategy people? I am stuck like a pigeon in tar.

Hcoregamer00 said:
What is your strategy people? I am stuck like a pigeon in tar.
I used Oscar (my only sniper) to kill all shocktroopers/scouts protecting the southern tank. Then it was easy for Largo to run around it and fire a couple of rounds in the radiator. A smoke grenade on Largo prevents him from being killed by the reinforcements the following turn. Next I spawn camped the enemy with the Edelweiss with an engineer behind it for repairs and sent the rest of my forces north. It wasn't easy but at least I got an A.

Hcoregamer00

archnemesis said:
I used Oscar (my only sniper) to kill all shocktroopers/scouts protecting the southern tank. Then it was easy for Largo to run around it and fire a couple of rounds in the radiator. A smoke grenade on Largo prevents him from being killed by the reinforcements the following turn. Next I spawn camped the enemy with the Edelweiss with an engineer behind it for repairs and sent the rest of my forces north. It wasn't easy but at least I got an A.

Wow, sounds easy enough.

Of course, sounding easy and being easy are two very different beasts.

Farnack

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Wow, sounds easy enough.

Of course, sounding easy and being easy are two very different beasts.
I cheated.

After the first run through, I just stuck Largo where the tank was gonna spawn. Then I moved the Edelweiss in position to shoot the north tank constantly.

Hcoregamer00

U K Narayan said:
I think that's Catherine O'Hara. She's pretty ace.

Catherine is my favorite sniper, bar none.

I use her more than all my other ones (that includes Marina).

Farnack said:
I cheated.

After the first run through, I just stuck Largo where the tank was gonna spawn. Then I moved the Edelweiss in position to shoot the north tank constantly.

Holy shit dude, that is awesome.

I must do this :D

I'm at Chapter 10 right now.

This game is HORRIBLY addicting. I've got Elite Scouts, Shocktroopers, and Lancers right now, and my Snipers are Lv9 and my Engineers are Lv6. Leveling my troops up has been SOSOSO time-consuming (in a good way), much like the old days when I'd tell myself "Just one more..." in games like Pokemon, I'm finding myself saying the same thing when it comes to Episodes and Skirmishes.

Chapter 9 was a LOT easier than I thought. I'll just reiterate what I said earlier: Rosie is a fucking BEAST.

Farnack

Banned
drtomoe123 said:
Rosie is a fucking BEAST.
No, Alicia is. 8P

I beat that Mulberry beach level in one turn with Alicia. XD

I ran through like those 10 machine guns and 4 tanks with a super buffed Alicia, blew up the flag area with mortar command, then finished off the guards and capped the flag.

Farnack said:
No, Alicia is. 8P

I beat that Mulberry beach level in one turn with Alicia. XD

I ran through like those 10 machine guns and 4 tanks with a super buffed Alicia, blew up the flag area with mortar command, then finished off the guards and capped the flag.

Lol, that is one insane strategy. As much as I love A rankings, I get a lot of satisfaction from clearing out every enemy and taking every base.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I haven't been able to play at all today and I'm going through withdrawals. All I picture is a sniper's scope zooming in on an Elite Trooper's head and a meter saying "Shot 1 : To Kill 1".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I tried the Circuit City deal but they didn't have it, then I went to see about price-matching at Best Buy (do they do that?) but they didn't have it. Neither of them had Resistance 2, either, which was my backup plan. I went to a couple retail places and there remembered that I normally hate retail because they keep stuff behind doors which they have to unlock but they're too busy pandering to the woman with unnecessary questions and her little brat. I decided I'd rather just rent a movie on the way home and then order it off Amazon, which I did, and I also went ahead and picked 2-day shipping even though it balanced out the savings because I didn't want to wait forever. What does all this mean? Peace of mind and finding it at my doorstep is worth $15 and two days, I guess. Screw retail.

Belfast

Please tell me Jann Walker is voiced by John DiMaggio, or *someone* on the Futurama cast. He certainly sounds like a (quite potentially gay) character from the series, though I'm having trouble placing his name, as well.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I can't figure it out... mission 8 is kicking my ass...
stupid spotlights and mortars keep killing me. :( GOD DAMN YOU TY THE IMMORTAL!!!!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I finished Chapter 10 and realized that outside of Chapter 7 and a couple of times near the beginning I have never used Lancers. I deploy Largo every mission for the extra CP, but he never does anything more taxing than hang out at the deployment zone showing off his scars and muscles to passers-by.

Lancers are slow, have trouble hitting tanks -- to say nothing of people -- at even medium range, and even if they can hit they still need a radiator shot to one-shot a tank. Come on, anymore even my Shock Troopers can destroy a tank with 2 CP, and they're still useful after the tank is dead.

On top of all that, (itty bitty mid-game equipment spoiler here)
once mortar lances become available they finally gain an anti-personnel option worth mention, but have to give up their anti-tank power to use them.

So, Lancers. Anybody find them useful?

El_TigroX said:
Man, I can't figure it out... mission 8 is kicking my ass...
stupid spotlights and mortars keep killing me. :( GOD DAMN YOU TY THE IMMORTAL!!!!

When you first enter the clearing where Ty the Immortal is, there's a long stretch of grass to your right. Have Welkin enter first, and immediately start crawling through the grass. You can pick off the generic enemy by shooting from the grass without alerting Ty. Once you do that, crawl to the end of the grass and double back to get behind Ty. Chuck a grenade at him and he'll turn around, conveniently presenting his back to the clearing entrance, but won't counterattack. Get Welkin out of his line of sight and end his turn. Then take control of Alicia, enter the clearing with Ty's back toward you, walk right up behind him and enter aiming mode. He should have started turning toward Alicia as she got closer, so just stick your gun in his face and open fire. With the grenade damage four or five rounds should be enough to do him in.

The gun you get for killing him can make an upcoming mission laughably easy, by the way.

rykomatsu

ixix said:
So, Lancers. Anybody find them useful?

Very...i used Elesis Moore almost every mission. Double damage to tanks definitely helps in certain situations and the additional shot can be a lifesaver when trying to clear everything out of a given location. Usually use them in lieu of a grenade as well. They can also take quite a pounding so I use them as a human shield at times too if i can't get my troops out of harms way before their movement bar goes to 0

Baha

Lancers are great for recovering dead team mates since they soak up bullets better than any other class and I usually find them more useful than my tank for destroying enemy tanks. I always put largo in every mission anyway for the extra command point.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
ixix said:
When you first enter the clearing where Ty the Immortal is, there's a long stretch of grass to your right. Have Welkin enter first, and immediately start crawling through the grass. You can pick off the generic enemy by shooting from the grass without alerting Ty. Once you do that, crawl to the end of the grass and double back to get behind Ty. Chuck a grenade at him and he'll turn around, conveniently presenting his back to the clearing entrance, but won't counterattack. Get Welkin out of his line of sight and end his turn. Then take control of Alicia, enter the clearing with Ty's back toward you, walk right up behind him and enter aiming mode. He should have started turning toward Alicia as she got closer, so just stick your gun in his face and open fire. With the grenade damage four or five rounds should be enough to do him in.

The gun you get for killing him can make an upcoming mission laughably easy, by the way.

Thanks for the tip... I employed a slightly different strategy... hide and throw grenades until he is dead... worked!

ixix

rykomatsu said:
Very...i used Elesis Moore almost every mission. Double damage to tanks definitely helps in certain situations and the additional shot can be a lifesaver when trying to clear everything out of a given location. Usually use them in lieu of a grenade as well. They can also take quite a pounding so I use them as a human shield at times too if i can't get my troops out of harms way before their movement bar goes to 0

So do you just attack the front of the tank with the Lancers? I just think that relying both on an ability to activate and relying on the ensuing shot to hit is a bit of a tall order. And if you're close enough to guarantee a hit, you're close enough to go whole-hog with a rushdown and a radiator shot. And Shock Troopers can do those! Scouts can too if you use an Order to boost their attack power!

I begin to suspect that perhaps I am simply too blinded by my love of attacking glowing weak points to properly consider this matter.

El_TigroX said:
Thanks for the tip... I employed a slightly different strategy... hide and throw grenades until he is dead... worked!

Well efficacy is what separates a good plan from a bad plan, which would make your plan a good one indeed.

rykomatsu

ixix said:
So do you just attack the front of the tank with the Lancers? I just think that relying both on an ability to activate and relying on the ensuing shot to hit is a bit of a tall order. And if you're close enough to guarantee a hit, you're close enough to go whole-hog with a rushdown and a radiator shot. And Shock Troopers can do those! Scouts can too if you use an Order to boost their attack power!

I begin to suspect that perhaps I am simply too blinded by my love of attacking glowing weak points to properly consider this matter.

Well efficacy is what separates a good plan from a bad plan, which would make your plan a good one indeed.

My lancers do pretty well from afar. I've only done a point blank radiator shot maybe 2~3 times. Ensuing shot procs quite a bit, and when I use a lancer, I usually use him/her for all expendable shots so there:s a pretty good chance that I'll get an additional shot during the 3 CP use.

ixix

rykomatsu said:
My lancers do pretty well from afar. I've only done a point blank radiator shot maybe 2~3 times. Ensuing shot procs quite a bit, and when I use a lancer, I usually use him/her for all expendable shots so there:s a pretty good chance that I'll get an additional shot during the 3 CP use.

Seriously? I think there have been maybe one or two tanks so far that I haven't taken out with a point-blank radiator shot.

Perhaps I should give this crazy idea of not running headlong at multi-ton death machines a try.

Hcoregamer00

dralla said:
So, what does everyone think of the story and characters? no spoilers or else.

The storyline is not amazing, but the storytelling is very unique. The presentation of the storyline is very compelling because it does not overdo it when it comes to cutscenes, in fact the game should have had more.

The characters are amazing on every level, the main cast in incredibly well developed. The 50+ characters you can recruit all have unique personality traits that are developed through the glossary, in-game dialogue, and the interaction with other characters. It is amazing that they can retain the unique sense of identity with such a massive cast.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
The storyline is not amazing, but the storytelling is very unique. The presentation of the storyline is very compelling because it does not overdo it when it comes to cutscenes, in fact the game should have had more.

The characters are amazing on every level, the main cast in incredibly well developed. The 50+ characters you can recruit all have unique personality traits that are developed through the glossary, in-game dialogue, and the interaction with other characters. It is amazing that they can retain the unique sense of identity with such a massive cast.

Even if the storyline ends up being a classic struggle to defeat the large empire, it will still be the most compelling narrative in an RPG in years. I'm extremely surprised by how well done the dialog and character interaction are done. It's been a long time in an RPG since I've went out of my way to further character interaction.

Oh, and the opening preface was amazing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. I really did not expect the game to be THIS good. I'm finishing up Chapter 4 now. The game hasn't left the high note it started on, and I hope it never does.

Oh, and I have to express my thanks that the leveling system is so streamlined. I was really afraid of having to micromanage everyone and hand out experience individually, or actually have to balance my used characters during battle. Their implementation is perfect.

Hcoregamer00

TheExodu5 said:
Even if the storyline ends up being a classic struggle to defeat the large empire, it will still be the most compelling narrative in an RPG in years. I'm extremely surprised by how well done the dialog and character interaction are done. It's been a long time in an RPG since I've went out of my way to further character interaction.

Oh, and the opening preface was amazing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. I really did not expect the game to be THIS good. I'm finishing up Chapter 4 now. The game hasn't left the high note it started on, and I hope it never does.

Oh, and I have to express my thanks that the leveling system is so streamlined. I was really afraid of having to micromanage everyone and hand out experience individually, or actually have to balance my used characters during battle. Their implementation is perfect.

I agree, the storyline is not unique, but the storytelling is amazing. Right now I am in chapter 14 and I can tell you that the amazing storytelling is consistent, and it even gets better. The magic of Valkyria is the Character Driven storytelling. It is about war, but it presents war on a very human level, something I have not seen in any game for quite a while. War games normally glorify violence and war, so it is quite a pleasant surprise seeing a game about war be so anti-war.

The character interactions are great, I am hoping the Namco rips if off and does it this way for the skits in the tales games. This does a FAR better job in creating a sense of immersion than seeing talking still portraits.

Dyne

Alidar said:
The antagonists are related, or are just cut from the same mold? Or is that a spoiler?

And I'm definitely playing SoAL in the near future. Looking forward to it.

Nope, just the whole "league of evil villains in black victorian-style uniforms plotting around a table, with at least one member of royal descent" thing. :lol

Also, +1 sale today! My friend saw me playing for literally 2 minutes and had to have it. He was a huge fan of Fire Emblem and FFT so I'm not surprised.

jsrv said:
Here's hoping it'll be good. :D I only saw trailers for Birdy and Persona, but they both looked really nice, I hope they can keep the feel of the canvas engine with the animated series
I don't know. Considering A-1's apparently mediocre track record, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Doesn't mean I'm not excited, though. I really hope it turns out well.

duckroll

A-1 Pictures has no real track record. There's no core team at A-1 Pictures at all. It totally depends on the staff lined up for it, and there's no announcement on that front yet.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
A-1 Pictures has no real track record. There's no core team at A-1 Pictures at all. It totally depends on the staff lined up for it, and there's no announcement on that front yet.

True, but the Persona anime was surprisingly good (I had zero expectations).

To be fair, Game to Anime transitions have been much much better lately. The Tales of the Abyss anime is excellent and does a great job handling the source material, my only complaint is that they did not have any music from the game's amazing soundtrack. When Valkyria becomes an anime, they will be in a similar situation because the anime could be great, but we will be missing the AMAZING Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack.

duckroll said:
Ah.

Well, then --- CUE OPTIMISM TO FULL LEVELS!

I noticed that, on the soundtrack, the non-vocal version of Succeeded Wish is absent. Kind of dumb. I'll record the intro one if anyone wants it.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay what's the deal with ch 8 and the sneaking mission

There's a damn shocktrooper and scout camping around a corner. WHenever welkin or alicia try to run/crawl sneak past I just get blown away.

Oh and it's boring as hell too.

Hcoregamer00

Ferrio said:
Okay what's the deal with ch 8 and the sneaking mission

There's a damn shocktrooper and scout camping around a corner. WHenever welkin or alicia try to run/crawl sneak past I just get blown away.

Oh and it's boring as hell too.

There is a reason why it is called sneaking.

You avoid those SOB's to beat the level.

Hcoregamer00

Ferrio said:
You know it might actually be a sneaking mission if there was more than one path.

This isn't MGS4, it is a strategy RPG.

I was shocked that Mission 8 even did it as well as it did.

Avoid the shocktrooper and mortar fire and the mission is cake.

If it makes you feel better, a later mission does it FAR better.

Spike

I called EB today to see if the game had come in yet, and they told me that it did but there were no artbooks for Canada. :(

So I picked it up from BBV since I had some credit there.

Ferrio

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
This isn't MGS4, it is a strategy RPG.

I was shocked that Mission 8 even did it as well as it did.

Avoid the shocktrooper and mortar fire and the mission is cake.

If it makes you feel better, a later mission does it FAR better.

I can't avoid them! Look here's my situation.

valkyriach8.jpg

If I go out there, I die... it's the ONLY path.

Hcoregamer00

Ferrio said:
I can't avoid them! Look here's my situation.

valkyriach8.jpg

If I go out there, I die... it's the ONLY path.

:lol :lol

Wow, you just shot up in the awesome list.

What you do it go on the right path. Move forward with Welkin and grenade the scout on from the back end, and then run until the flower. After that move Alicia twice down the same path, but don't go to welkin because going the entire distance means you will be hit by the mortar fire.

Don't worry, it took me 4 failures to realize that this is the only plan that doesn't lead to a "game over"

Top Bottom