• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zurra said:
That's true, but you don't feel very sympathetic for what happened to guys like Kefka or Albedo, either. Maybe a little for Albedo. Guys like them, it was a little incident or mishap that made them go crazy evil. Or guys like Kuja that get tossed aside and decide to take the world down with him. Tragic pasts and hidden origins, things that make you feel sorry for them... that sort of villainy doesn't work for me. I guess it depends how they spin it with the Triumviri, I doubt I'll end up disliking any of them though, they're cool characters even if not my type of villains.

I do agree with you that in the videogame medium of storytelling, having a sympathetic villain many not be the best. After all, why spend 10-60 hours in a game to find out that the villain you hated the entire time was actually not a bad person. One of the best examples of it is Tales of the Abyss that came out a while back, the villains are not necessarily evil. They are after the same ultimate goal as the protagonists, but they have a different interpretation on how they should reach this goal. It is quite disheartening to know that your cast of protagonists could easily have been the antagonists.

In a game, people like the idea of black and white characters. While I still stand by my assertion that there are shades of grey for the Triumviri (Not so evil - Gen. Jaeger, Evil with some humanity - Gen. Gregor, Absolutely evil that can garner some sympathy - Gen. Selvaria), but there is a character that is absolutely evil in Valkyria, and that is Maximillian. He is the classic videogame supervillian who has no redeeming qualities.

U K Narayan said:
I don't know. Galcian and Ramirez were pretty damn close.

The Galcian/Ramirez relationship is eerily similar to the Selvaria/Maximillian relationship. Hell, it is the same thing but with a man and a woman. I guess the Skies of Arcadia team likes to keep this villain dynamic.

zurra

You hit the nail on the head. Abyss's villains didn't feel like villains per se, but they were all cool and the fights were fun.

The Triumviri are great, though. Don't know much about Gregor and Selvaria yet, but Maximillian, with no redeeming qualities, is the kind of dude you can be scared of. Especially with a glowing blue girl running around with him. And I like Jaegar so much that I wish he was on my team instead. :(

Big-E

FUCK! I preordered this from videogamesplus but it still ain't here yet and I am in fucking Canada where the site is based.

Volcynika

From what I've seen (About to do Ch 7 soon), I already hate Gregor. He just strikes me in a way where I already don't like him that much. Jaeger, he seems not as bad.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:
From what I've seen (About to do Ch 7 soon), I already hate Gregor. He just strikes me in a way where I already don't like him that much. Jaeger, he seems not as bad.

Keep on playing and you will see Gregor show a sign of strong humanity that makes him somewhat likable, then the development team tosses it away by making him evil again.

zurra said:
You hit the nail on the head. Abyss's villains didn't feel like villains per se, but they were all cool and the fights were fun.

The Triumviri are great, though. Don't know much about Gregor and Selvaria yet, but Maximillian, with no redeeming qualities, is the kind of dude you can be scared of. Especially with a glowing blue girl running around with him. And I like Jaegar so much that I wish he was on my team instead. :(

As I said earlier, I am in Chapter 14, and I can say that if there is one villain that got the short end of the stick it is Selvaria. The development team seems to enjoy making her a sympathetic character before she goes on a rampage and destroys everything, making you hate her again.

There really is so much potential to develop her further, but I have a feeling that she will likely continue to be as one dimensional as ever.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
Keep on playing and you will see Gregor show a sign of strong humanity that makes him somewhat likable, then the development team tosses it away by making him evil again.
I wouldn't say it like that, I think they want to make another point. Given the obvious intended parallels to Nazi Germany and the treatment of Jews, Gregor could be seen as some kind of SS officer that could well be kind/respectful to other (Aryan) combatants, even enemies, but just doesn't see Darcsens as human. (Ok, now that may have been a bit confusing. I hope you get my point)

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
I wouldn't say it like that, I think they want to make another point. Given the obvious intended parallels to Nazi Germany and the treatment of Jews, Gregor could be seen as some kind of SS officer that could well be kind/respectful to other (Aryan) combatants, even enemies, but just doesn't see Darcsens as human. (Ok, now that may have been a bit confusing. I hope you get my point)

I get your point, especially being a history major who is doing a research paper on Dr. Joseph Goebbels and Propaganda during the Third Reich. But I just interpreted it differently, because in the introduction he called Gallia "peasants," but treated them with respect after this certain event happened. To me it showed that he developed a somewhat grudging respect for the people fighting him, or at the very least he saw them more as human.

I do agree with the whole Darcsen/racism theme, but I was looking in it through the dynamic of the character development up to that point. In contrast, you looked at that scene in the context of the big picture up to the concentration camps. So in effect, we are both correct because our assertions are in different contexts.

:D

Dyne

Farnack said:
It's getting a French treatment.

The copy I got more than a week ago has French on it.

People just suck at shipping.

PS: It wasn't late. Just late for Future Shop, Amazon.ca, and Best Buy. God knows why.

Baha

bryehn said:
Plus it was released a week late up here. Saw copies around today though, should have mine when the wife gets home from work.

Depends where you looked, it was available last week if you hit smaller game shops and some places like Blockbuster.

RiZ III

Just got it this morning. Way better than I expected. This is the Sega I love and remember :D Almost like a true sequel to Shining Force.

I have to wait until Christams to get this game. I would be getting it sooner but I have no money. But this is one of my most anticpiated games for the whole year.

Baha

Hmm I just read on a random site that one of the medals that you can get requires
you to lose a soldier in a mission or skirmish. Do dead characters come back in a new game+?

Puli

Banned
Got my dad to pick this up from a Best Buy near his house (using the Circuit City ad). Can't wait to play it, though I'll have to wait until tomorrow since I'll have to drive up to the house. Ugh, this is almost worse than not having the game..... almost. :p

Dyne

Also, I never noticed Fina from Skies of Arcadia is the Medic. Hahahaha. Great placement!

Also, engineer is definitely my favourite class now.

Hcoregamer00

Dyne said:
Also, I never noticed Fina from Skies of Arcadia is the Medic. Hahahaha. Great placement!

Also, engineer is definitely my favourite class now.

Took you long enough :lol

I love how she makes a cameo, but they never ever mention her name, but her description is exactly like Fina from Skies of Arcadia.

Dyne

Hcoregamer00 said:
Took you long enough :lol

I love how she makes a cameo, but they never ever mention her name, but her description is exactly like Fina from Skies of Arcadia.

Hahaha, maybe I just never had anyone die up until yesterday. ;)

I'm at Chapter 6 now, around 8 hours gameplay. Looks like I won't get to play Eternal Sonata until I beat this.

Also, I finally got to see the homosexual lancer. I can't remember his name. There's that other guy that's bisexual, but the homosexual is WAY over the top. It made me LOL quite hard the way he said "HEY SOLDIER~~". Why on earth would they add that? :lol The lesbian, Dallas, is completely normal, too.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dyne said:
Hahaha, maybe I just never had anyone die up until yesterday. ;)

I'm at Chapter 6 now, around 8 hours gameplay. Looks like I won't get to play Eternal Sonata until I beat this.

Also, I finally got to see the homosexual lancer. I can't remember his name. There's that other guy that's bisexual, but the homosexual is WAY over the top. It made me LOL quite hard the way he said "HEY SOLDIER~~". Why on earth would they add that? :lol The lesbian, Dallas, is completely normal, too.

I think Dallas is one of Alecia's likes. MMMMMMM.

Hcoregamer00

Dyne said:

Jann is freaking awesome.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Jann is freaking awesome.

<3

high five, sister! :lol

And to all the guys who can't find a copy, what?! Is it rare already or did Sega release low prints from the first batch?

Dyne

TheExodu5 said:
I think Dallas is one of Alecia's likes. MMMMMMM.

Rule 34, right? Ohhh yeah.

Anyways, yeah, definitely enlisting Jann as soon as I get home today. I want to hear what he sounds like in combat!

RpgN

Dyne said:
Rule 34, right? Ohhh yeah.

Anyways, yeah, definitely enlisting Jann as soon as I get home today. I want to hear what he sounds like in combat!

Let an engineer heal him to find out, preferably a male XD Oh, and keep Largo by his side.

Volcynika

I got Jann as one of my first recruits just because Rpgn mentioned him. He's awesome :lol

Also, might do the battle
Desert Duel with Maximilian
tonight! :eek:

Barrett2

RpgN said:
And to all the guys who can't find a copy, what?! Is it rare already or did Sega release low prints from the first batch?

You just have to look around. I had to check three stores before I found a copy, but they're out there.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
You just have to look around. I had to check three stores before I found a copy, but they're out there.

Regardless, I'll take that as a positive sign. Looks like people are buying up the game, even if it's a small print run.

I love how a game just makes me obsessive... all I want to do is run home and do the next chapter...

Dyne

Durante said:
I don't think so:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post?tags=senjou_no_valkyria+yuri
:(

(Do NOT click on any of the links on the linked page above from public/work browsing environments)

Hahaha! Yeah I had my mouse over the link ready to click, but luckily I didn't, in time.

I used to be able to browse whatever I wanted at school because everybody was so braindead in lectures anyways. At work people are actually productive and actively curious what's on your screen. Hahaha.

RpgN

Volcynika said:
I got Jann as one of my first recruits just because Rpgn mentioned him. He's awesome :lol

Also, might do the battle
Desert Duel with Maximilian
tonight! :eek:

Of course! Did you ever doubt my perfect taste? The queen is always right :lol

And go for it. I think you heard how scary this mission is, didn't you? Good luck.

Baha

Ok so I got Lynn to show up as a recruit by using Karl & getting 3 kills in 2 skirmishes and then letting him die and rescuing him. I'm guessing I have to do the same for Emille with Oscar right?

Dave1988

RpgN said:
It's not necessary since you get them random after each chapter.

Baha said:
Ok so I got Lynn to show up as a recruit by using Karl & getting 3 kills in 2 skirmishes and then letting him die and rescuing him. I'm guessing I have to do the same for Emille with Oscar right?

This begs to differ.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
Oh, that. I always thought they came randomly :p

Hcoregamer, no way! Does it have to do with the story?

No, for a while I got new recruits after every mission, but for a while it has been nothing at all.

Baha

I haven't found a FAQ but rather I've been checking GF and other sites via google for info. Apparently you can also get another recruit if you check the command post when you have $1,000,000 on hand.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, for a while I got new recruits after every mission, but for a while it has been nothing at all.

Did you count if your recruits are 50 total now?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Someone help me get this game! I downloaded the demo and I nearly died in the tutorial!

Believe you me when I say I want to love this game to death. It's made by the people who made Skies of Arcadia. The movement/turn system BLiTZ is very similar to the ARMS system from Sakura Taisens 3-5. It's got Hitoshi Sakamoto music. It's got drop dead gorgeous graphics.

But I can't enjoy a game I've struggling to play! Not like "Ah it's too difficult!". Difficult I can handle. This is more like "I don't understand what I have to do to play the game correctly."

Like, I'll move my squad member to a position to attack an enemy. But when I attack the enemy, they start attacking back. Heck, even if I move into certain areas they start shooting, but my characters don't do the same when the enemies move. It's like if feels like it's supposed to be turn-based, but kinda isn't. I'm really struggling to get a feel for this.

Suggestions anyone?

Top Bottom