• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Sephon

Tempy said:
FINE.

I'll use my level 20 units against your pitiful level 5s.

Let's pick that beach level.

Hell, I'll give you the Empire side to start from. I'll give you all those turrets/cannons they have for free too!

Now just let me start, okay?

A few minutes later

So how do you like being beaten in 1 turn without getting a chance to move?

AWESOME MULTIPLAYER.

:p Have at you

RpgN

Die Squirrel Die said:
Rosie just did an awesome bit of intercepting fire in Chp16. I had her positioned near an enemy sniper. The sniper took his go and ran past her, all the time she's shotting him but doesn't manage to finish him off. He runs in front of one of his machine gun placements, and shots at Rosie. She evades and counters but the sniper evades as well, but her shots hit the machine gun, destroying it, then she gets the final shot into the sniper and finishes him as well.

Yes, I just had that yesterday with Rosie.

It was in chapter 12. I was very close at the enemy base camp and there was an ace sniper who is very annoying. She was standing infront of him. He tried to attack Rosie twice with a sniper and she dodged them all and killed him instead XD

Ted is really good too. There were 2 elite snipers from above also very close to him. They attacked him from the back and he dodged and killed them too XD I love his lines too:

Knock knock! It's Ted!
I could just kiss you (luckily I had a female engineer do the healing for him)
I A-M Ted!
Thank you! Thank you!

He's just amazing...and cute. And like to show off a lot :D

U K Narayan said:
Yeah. Rosie and Vyse are the only Shocktroopers I ever use. I don't understand why anyone would use Edy. She panics and hates Rosie, so, fuck that.

Well, Salinas is very handy too. He can spot soldiers hiding from far and he can shish kabab Lancers without a sweat :p Jane is really good too, you don't want to face her. I agree about Edy though, I don't understand why she is liked that much. Probably because of her cute looks for the pedo fans.

RpgN

badcrumble said:
Wendy is the best shock trooper because she's obviously nuts and just likes carnage.

I still haven't used her, so no comments about that. Though she did look crazy (in a good way). I might just use her next time.

klee123

Tempy said:
FINE.

Hell, I'll give you the Empire side to start from. I'll give you all those turrets/cannons they have for free too!

A few minutes later

AWESOME MULTIPLAYER.

:lol

Tempy said:
FINE.

A few minutes later

AWESOME MULTIPLAYER.
So, in other words, you're saying that if they do the multiplayer wrong, it would not work. You've got a firm grasp of the obvious, good for you.
Got anything intelligent to contribute to the conversation?

Defuser

Fistwell said:
So, in other words, you're saying that if they do the multiplayer wrong, it would not work. You've got a firm grasp of the obvious, good for you.
Got anything intelligent to contribute to the conversation?
It maybe obvious but there are ignorant/dumb people who can't realize for themselves that multi-player would not work.

Defuser said:
It maybe obvious but there are ignorant/dumb people who can't realize for themselves that multi-player would not work.
Yet the smart people who figured it out are unable to make a convincing case as to why it would not work.
Go figure.

elbkhm

Lynn is an awesome shocktrooper. Her hidden potential is "Double Action", which means she gets to shoot twice in a round sometimes, which is as good as it sounds.

Farnack

Banned
Fistwell said:
Yet the smart people who figured it out are unable to make a convincing case as to why it would not work.
Go figure.
It'd work after they spend 1 year and millions of dollars into development completely overhauling the game and spending loads of time into balancing, eventually turning the game into something completely different and uninteresting for their target audience.

Face it. The only people who care about multiplayer are North Americans who want to squeeze out value for their dollars and end up not even taking advantage of the replayability. They're not going to spend the time and money if they have to completely rehaul the game mechanics.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tempy said:
FINE.

A few minutes later

AWESOME MULTIPLAYER.

Post of the week :D

Farnack said:
It'd work after they spend 1 year and millions of dollars into development completely overhauling the game and spending loads of time into balancing, eventually turning the game into something completely different and uninteresting for their target audience.

Face it. The only people who care about multiplayer are North Americans who want to squeeze out value for their dollars and end up not even taking advantage of the replayability. They're not going to spend the time and money if they have to completely rehaul the game mechanics.

While I wouldn't say it is millions of dollars, I do agree that it will take away time and effort from developing the quality single player game we have now.

At the very least, it would have delayed the release of the game (into a time period where it could have sold more) :lol

zoku88

Farnack said:
It's not like it hasn't been done for other single-player focused games before... And it's not like it would be THAT different.

Farnack

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
While I wouldn't say it is millions of dollars, I do agree that it will take away time and effort from developing the quality single player game we have now.

At the very least, it would have delayed the release of the game (into a time period where it could have sold more) :lol
Well, for development, time is money.

1 year would definitely be quite some millions of dollars. Since all the maps are asymmetric and unbalanced, they would need to create and art up new levels, and you can't just create one multiplayer level, they probably need eight. Game designers would definitely be hard pressed to make things work, and doubling the efforts of testing.

Defuser

They would have to remove/modify quite alot of stuff if they were make it multiplayer. No potentials,no orders,balanced maps,limited CP,no main base capturing and the aiming system.

I'm not saying they must be removed but it's to play a fair game here. You don't want your opponent having double movement or ultimate accuracy. Like the rest said,they have to compromise alot of stuff and it's not worth it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fistwell said:
Go figure.

The single player game mechanics do not facilitate a multiplayer mode without revising every gameplay mechanic.

My example illustrates exactly what would go wrong if one were to just use the single player mechanics. It just doesn't work.

In short - people want to play a multiplayer game which is not Valkyria Chronicles. People basically want two different games using the same setting, but that's not really viable for a niche genre game.

I especially like some people's suggestion that it would be "easy" and they can just use the single player maps.

It's been rehashed earlier in the thread and it's becoming a very tired subject.

I could go further on using even simpler language, and I could make some drawings to help you understand a bit better, but I don't think I can do that without insulting your intelligence.

Quick question. When you promote to elite does your character look any different?
(this is 50% of the reason why I play fire emblem. Seriously)

Still waiting on my copy, Half.com seller is slow wit it.

Durante

So the multiplayer topic is still going on?

I'll make it really easy for you:
(1) Fact: Multiplayer wouldn't work with the game mechanics & balance as is (if you can't see that there is no helping you)
(2) Proposition: Changing game mechanics & balance to fit MP may degrade the SP experience -- and even if it doesn't it would require redesigning that as well
(3) By (1) and (2), adding multiplayer would no just incur the cost for additional net code development and testing, but also for the design changes and related SP changes required
(4) Fact: Game budgets are finite
(5) By (3) and (4), the game would have suffered in other areas had they included multiplayer
(6) Fact: Historically, SRPGs simply don't include multiplayer, and the fanbase never seemed to care
(7) By (5) and (6), the game would have most likely been less appealing to the main target audience had they included MP

In conclusion:
There are very valid reasons for not including multiplayer. Perhaps, given the superb feedback on the gameplay and the related sporadic cries for MP they would consider planning the sequel with it in mind from the beginning. So if you really want MP buy a few more copies of the game.

Defuser

davidpdong said:
Quick question. When you promote to elite does your character look any different?

Nope. Scouts and Shocktroopers can weapon upgrades and stat boost while the Engineer,Lancers and Snipers get stat boost.

Volcynika

Durante said:
In conclusion:
There are very valid reasons for not including multiplayer. Perhaps, given the superb feedback on the gameplay and the related sporadic cries for MP they would consider planning the sequel with it in mind from the beginning. So if you really want MP buy 100,000 more copies of the game.

That sounds better.

S. L.

uh oh idiocy.
so i was wondering lately... where the fuck is my valkyria order, it shipped 2 weeks ago.
today i noticed i had it shipped to my parents place -_-

RpgN

davidpdong said:

I haven't noticed any difference with looks. But you do get new toys to play with (some classes) and AP (how far they can move), is extended a lot (AP usually doesn't get higher with normal level up). Elite soldiers become also stronger overall.

Farnack said:

1 year would definitely be quite some millions of dollars. Since all the maps are asymmetric and unbalanced, they would need to create and art up new levels, and you can't just create one multiplayer level, they probably need eight. Game designers would definitely be hard pressed to make things work, and doubling the efforts of testing.
Well, it's at least nice that a conversation is starting to emerge, without the insecure bullying bs.

I think you have a fair point. However, i dont think there's much need to "art up" new levels, recycling assets from the sp would provide more than enough material. Besides, that's essentially what happens with most games that have both mp and sp.
As far as balance goes, they could easily draw up symmetrical, or close to symmetrical maps. There would still be an advantage to the white, but that could be balanced by reducing amounts of CP, providing sufficient initial cover, and/or drawing up maps that are large enough to nullify the opening move advantage.

Edit: for more discussion.

Tempy said:
The single player game mechanics do not facilitate a multiplayer mode without revising every gameplay mechanic.
Every gameplay mechanics? With that kind of unsubstantiated blanket statement, you could "prove" anything you want.

Tempy said:
My example illustrates exactly what would go wrong if one were to just use the single player mechanics. It just doesn't work.
Your example shows that if the mp is designed to be unbalanced, it would be unbalanced.

Tempy said:
I could go further on using even simpler language, and I could make some drawings to help you understand a bit better, but I don't think I can do that without insulting your intelligence.
It's alright, most of your recent posts in this thread have done the latter already, so, no pressure. At least, you're not threatening to hit anyone in the face anymore.

Durante said:
So the multiplayer topic is still going on?

I'll make it really easy for you:
(1) Fact: Multiplayer wouldn't work with the game mechanics & balance as is (if you can't see that there is no helping you)
(2) Proposition: Changing game mechanics & balance to fit MP may degrade the SP experience -- and even if it doesn't it would require redesigning that as well
(3) By (1) and (2), adding multiplayer would no just incur the cost for additional net code development and testing, but also for the design changes and related SP changes required
(4) Fact: Game budgets are finite
(5) By (3) and (4), the game would have suffered in other areas had they included multiplayer
(6) Fact: Historically, SRPGs simply don't include multiplayer, and the fanbase never seemed to care
(7) By (5) and (6), the game would have most likely been less appealing to the main target audience had they included MP

In conclusion:
There are very valid reasons for not including multiplayer. Perhaps, given the superb feedback on the gameplay and the related sporadic cries for MP they would consider planning the sequel with it in mind from the beginning. So if you really want MP buy a few more copies of the game.
Thanks for a level headed contribution.
(1) agreed.
(2) & (3) why would they change the sp according to the mp? The sp seems nice enough to me as is.
(5) the game is out already, i see no point in speculating in what could have been. If they're looking at a sequel, they already have the engine. They could have room to add stuff to the package, and all i'm saying is that mp could make sense.
(6) weren't you that guy saying this game was so different from anything else? Besides, there does seem to be some people in this thread, who probably qualify as part of the target audience, who would be interested in mp.

Durante said:
In conclusion:
I like how we actually agree on the essential. ;)
(although i'm kinda broke, might have to wait a little before i can afford those 100,000 extra copies)

Hcoregamer00

Farnack said:

Very true, all the maps in valkyria is designed for one thing.

Putting you at a disadvantage versus the empire until you figure out a cohesive strategy to beat the level. There is no balance if you use said maps for mutiplayer.

Also, balancing would be a total bitch.

Volcynika said:
That sounds better.

If the budget really is 11 million, they will need more than 100,000 extra copies sold.

More like 300,000 extra copies over whatever the USA and European sales are

RpgN

Tempy said:
I'm tired of needing to educate people who have absolutely no idea about game development.

That's why I'm not even joining the discussion this round. It reminds me of a guy who thought Tales battle would work with touch-screen -_- That was with Tales of Innocence. Some games just wouldn't work with eveything that we want unless they keep our thoughts in mind at the start of development.

Hcoregamer00

Tempy said:
I'm tired of needing to educate people who have absolutely no idea about game development.

Cheer up, you have Mokona

Durante

Fistwell said:
(6) weren't you that guy saying this game was so different from anything else? Besides, there does seem to be some people in this thread, who probably qualify as part of the target audience, who would be interested in mp.
On the former, absolutely, the game is very different from every SRPG before it -- that doesn't change the fact that it's still marketed and described as an SRPG. On the latter, yes, of the probably ~100 people in this thread, 2 or 3 really want multiplayer and are very vocal about it.

However, quite a few others (including me) agree that if everything else stayed the same, it would be nice to have, while realizing that the simple facts of game development (eg. limited budget and time) dictate that the SP experience would suffer due to the inclusion of a feature that requires as much programming, design and especially testing effort as MP. In a game that is still somewhat anchored in a genre that historically has no multiplayer support, and is first and foremost targeted at Japan where (online) MP gaming is perhaps even more of a niche than SRPGs, it is not at all clear that including a multiplayer mode would be worth the undeniable tradeoff.

Durante said:
On the former, absolutely, the game is very different from every SRPG before it -- that doesn't change the fact that it's still marketed and described as an SRPG. On the latter, yes, of the probably ~100 people in this thread, 2 or 3 really want multiplayer and are very vocal about it.
I thought i saw more that 3, but i might be wrong. :)

Durante said:
However, quite a few others (including me) agree that if everything else stayed the same, it would be nice to have,
Cool. See, the appeal of a sequel is increasing.

Durante said:
while realizing that the simple facts of game development (eg. limited budget and time) dictate that the SP experience would suffer due to the inclusion of a feature that requires as much programming, design and especially testing effort as MP.
I see what you're saying. But, the engine is up and running. So they could be able to redirect some of their resources to other things. Like mp for example.

Durante said:
In a game that is still somewhat anchored in a genre that historically has no multiplayer support,
That's one the points i was trying to make earlier. On one hand, the game is so different than anything else. But on the other hand, the game is still very much the same as everything that's come before. It kinda feels as if you wanna have your cake and eat it too.

Durante said:
and is first and foremost targeted at Japan where (online) MP gaming is perhaps even more of a niche than SRPGs, it is not at all clear that including a multiplayer mode would be worth the undeniable tradeoff.
We don't exactly agree on the undeniability of the tradeoff. So that kinda looks "deniable" if you will.
If the fact that srpg are not supposed to have mps is the main road block, why not take the rpg out of the mp? Strategy games work well in multiplayer. The main draw being that people are more interesting to play against than bots. And i believe that would be the case with the mechanics in this game as well.
They can even market it as a strategy mp game here (with srpg sp), and a srpg in japan (with a strategy mp). Problem solved, best of both worlds, they make 3 gazillon dineros, and we all get to ride in the sunset with a cool game.

Tenkei

While I don't care about multiplayer for this game, I'll play devil's advocate and suggest that there are a few things that could be done to make an adequate multiplayer experience without much effort. This effort of course does not take into account coding network or local multiplayer, or the UI required to start multiplayer matches, but it doesn't change any of the original gameplay mechanics and provides a much better multiplayer experience than Fire Emblem.

There's no point trying to balance the armies or create specific multiplayer maps because whoever has the first turn has a serious advantage against the other side. Instead, use the skirmish maps and create an experience based around asymmetic multiplayer. Since the Gallian front has the advantage of unit specialisation, give the Empire the advantage of a much greater unit capacity and the ability to create more units per turn. Scale the Empire unit levels to match those of the Gallian units as well.

Those playing for Gallia still enjoy the game as if it were a single player experience, except that the enemy AI is now human controlled. Those playing for the Empire will enjoy acting like an evil general, sending disposable units to their deaths with reckless abandon. The goals don't even have to change; Gallia still needs to occupy the enemy base camp, while the Empire has to eliminate Welkin or all the Gallian units.

Durante

@Fistwell:
The main point is that it would cost a lot of money to develop and test solid MP, money that would not be available to improve the SP experience. Which poses the question of whether it would be worth the tradeoff -- will more people worldwide buy an anime-themed SRPG with (imaginary "quality" scores, out of 10) a 10/10 SP experience and no MP or a 7/10 SP experience and a 6/10 MP one?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fistwell said:
If the fact that srpg are not supposed to have mps is the main road block, why not take the rpg out of the mp? Strategy games work well in multiplayer. The main draw being that people are more interesting to play against than bots. And i believe that would be the case with the mechanics in this game as well.
They can even market it as a strategy mp game here (with srpg sp), and a srpg in japan (with a strategy mp). Problem solved, best of both worlds, they make 3 gazillon dineros, and we all get to ride in the sunset with a cool game.

This goes back to my statement that what people want isn't Valkyria Chronicles multiplayer (Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG)- they just want a different game in the same setting. Or two games in one -> which just isn't feasible with the limited budgets SRPGs get. I'm already amazed VC is such a polished game with quality voice actors.

Durante said:
@Fistwell:
The main point is that it would cost a lot of money to develop and test solid MP, money that would not be available to improve the SP experience. Which poses the question of whether it would be worth the tradeoff -- will more people worldwide buy an anime-themed SRPG with (imaginary "quality" scores, out of 10) a 10/10 SP experience and no MP or a 7/10 SP experience and a 6/10 MP one?
Yeah, i think the discussion is coming to a close. All we're left with is speculation.
You're speculating that adding (crappy-ish 6/10) mp would hurt the quality of sp by 30%. I'm speculating that it wouldn't. Oh well.

Edit:
Tempy said:
This goes back to my statement that what people want isn't Valkyria Chronicles multiplayer (Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG)- they just want a different game in the same setting. Or two games in one -> which just isn't feasible with the limited budgets SRPGs get. I'm already amazed VC is such a polished game with quality voice actors.
Yes, two games in one. The mp being the same game as the sp but stripped down. So very different and completely unfeasable.

Tenkei: yeah, that sounds pretty good to me.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Tenkei said:
While I don't care about multiplayer for this game, I'll play devil's advocate and suggest that there are a few things that could be done to make an adequate multiplayer experience without much effort. This effort of course does not take into account coding network or local multiplayer, or the UI required to start multiplayer matches, but it doesn't change any of the original gameplay mechanics and provides a much better multiplayer experience than Fire Emblem.

There's no point trying to balance the armies or create specific multiplayer maps because whoever has the first turn has a serious advantage against the other side. Instead, use the skirmish maps and create an experience based around asymmetic multiplayer. Since the Gallian front has the advantage of unit specialisation, give the Empire the advantage of a much greater unit capacity and the ability to create more units per turn. Scale the Empire unit levels to match those of the Gallian units as well.

Those playing for Gallia still enjoy the game as if it were a single player experience, except that the enemy AI is now human controlled. Those playing for the Empire will enjoy acting like an evil general, sending disposable units to their deaths with reckless abandon. The goals don't even have to change; Gallia still needs to occupy the enemy base camp, while the Empire has to eliminate Welkin or all the Gallian units.

Interesting idea, but you can still finish skirmish maps in 1 turn, so there's still the need for extra balancing.

A more interesting alternative someone mentioned before is having people play after each CP use. This prevents the first-turn-walkover scenario. Of course there might be other issues as well, but it seems like a method worth looking at. Not to mention you still have other balancing issues like map balance, level difference, etc.

Tempy said:
Interesting idea, but you can still finish skirmish maps in 1 turn, so there's still the need for extra balancing.

A more interesting alternative someone mentioned before is having people play after each CP use. This prevents the first-turn-walkover scenario. Of course there might be other issues as well, but it seems like a method worth looking at. Not to mention you still have other balancing issues like map balance, level difference, etc.

You could solve all of these issues by having configurable map settings for multiplayer mode. CP slider and a level/handicap slider, would address almost all of your complaints. Also, why let the single player levels carry over into multiplayer?

Regarding complaints about waiting too long, did you ever play a multiplayer game of Heroes of Might and Magic?

pancakesandsex said:
You could solve all of these issues by having configurable map settings for multiplayer mode. CP slider and a level/handicap slider, would address almost all of your complaints. Also, why let the single player levels carry over into multiplayer?

Regarding complaints about waiting too long, did you ever play a multiplayer game of Heroes of Might and Magic?
*hi-five*

Farnack

Banned
Let's get back to talking about hentai. 8D

Anyways, does anyone who has the game have the ability to capture video/pictures?

I really want that picture from the ending.

nwmvrd.jpg

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Farnack said:
Let's get back to talking about the game.
Sounds good.

To that one dude that told me there was a world of difference between C and B accuracy for sniper rifles: holy crap.
My snipers went from somewhat useless to regularly scoring 3 head shots in a row/round.

Baha

Fistwell said:
Sounds good.

To that one dude that told me there was a world of difference between C and B accuracy for sniper rifles: holy crap.
My snipers went from somewhat useless to regularly scoring 3 head shots in a row/round.

Wait till you get the GSR 30R. Holy crap, with an accuracy of 1800 your snipers become god-like. I used it with Oscar and his eagle-eye potential which let me zoom in on the enemy's eyes :lol .

I'm early in the game, but I don't even deploy snipers, they suck so bad right now. I don't have the need to deploy engineers right now either, but I still level every job class because I figure it'll get to the point where they're all necessary

maskrider

Baha said:
Awesome!! Any chance of a 1600x1200 for my PC or a 720p/1080p for my ps3?

That is a direct feed capture from the PS3 720p output (full size of 1280x720), scaling it up with my tools and skill don't seem to have much gain.

May be someone else will do a better job in scaling it up.

Top Bottom