• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

matmanx1

I dont want multiplayer in VC. I would however very much like to play another VC or get lots of DLC for this game. That's my vote!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
matmanx1 said:
I dont want multiplayer in VC. I would however very much like to play another VC or get lots of DLC for this game. That's my vote!

We are getting an Edy and Selvaria DLC sometime next year.

Not to mention that Valkyria is getting the anime treatment in Spring.

Here is hoping that we can get Valkyria in another iteration in the future.

Baha

Ok so I tried resizing the pic in photoshop for 1600x1200 & 1920x1080.

1600x1200

1920x1080

I think the 1080p one looks terrible compared to the 1600x1200 which is understandable since the game doesn't support that resolution to begin with. Thanks again to maskrider for the capture.

Durante

maskrider said:
That is a direct feed capture from the PS3 720p output (full size of 1280x720), scaling it up with my tools and skill don't seem to have much gain.
Slightly OT, but what HW are you using to capture the PS3 output? I've been wanting to do that for a while, but I'm reluctant to shell out $350 for an intensity pro.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RpgN said:
I agree about Edy though, I don't understand why she is liked that much. Probably because of her cute looks for the pedo fans.
Why would the pedo fans prefer Edy? She looks way too old, and there's a 12-year old girl in the game already for those types. Funny enough, there's two posters in this thread with tags relating to that. ;P

maskrider

Durante said:
Slightly OT, but what HW are you using to capture the PS3 output? I've been wanting to do that for a while, but I'm reluctant to shell out $350 for an intensity pro.

Intensity Pro (with a chain of HDMI/DVI converters in between).

sonicmj1

Tempy said:
Interesting idea, but you can still finish skirmish maps in 1 turn, so there's still the need for extra balancing.

A more interesting alternative someone mentioned before is having people play after each CP use. This prevents the first-turn-walkover scenario. Of course there might be other issues as well, but it seems like a method worth looking at. Not to mention you still have other balancing issues like map balance, level difference, etc.

I think an interesting way of giving both players a diverse army, and having a slightly more symmetrical scenario, would be to have a sort of 'unit draft' prior to starting the game. Naturally, this sort of thing wouldn't be required (it could be time consuming), but I think it could be fun to make your own group of unique units versus your opponents group of unique units, and it'd allow some of those attachments players have from the singleplayer game to manifest in multiplayer. They could all be the same level and have their potentials available, to keep things equitable.

Naturally, multiplayer isn't an easy thing to make if you've chosen not to half-ass it. Even with recycled assets, making balanced maps and getting the orders and systems to function fairly isn't something you can do overnight. And time spent on that would detract, to some extent, from the singleplayer campaign.

I believe it's important that any Valkyria Chronicles game has a strong campaign and story above all else, and if multiplayer would come at the expense of the singleplayer, it probably isn't worth it. But even as a limited extra (almost like a slightly improved version of a Zone of the Enders 2 VS mode or something), it'd be a welcome thing that could work well and be very fun to play with the right tweaks.

Farnack

Banned
The 1600x1200 looks vertically streched. 1080 is the right proportion.
XiaNaphryz said:
Why would the pedo fans prefer Edy? She looks way too old, and there's a 12-year old girl in the game already for those types. Funny enough, there's two posters in this thread with tags relating to that. ;P
I like Edy. >_>

Farnack

Banned
Durante said:
Pshhh, you don't live up to your tag.
Edy looks loli young, I just imagine the rest of the body smaller.

v3lw07.jpg

See! Just look at her loli face! 8D

WTF is wondergoo?

Hcoregamer00

XiaNaphryz said:

You better not be implying that I am a lolicon/pedophile, because I got this tag for Selvaria.

Which is the POLAR OPPOSITE of what those people are.

Volcynika

Man, during my algorithms class, we're talking about something that we abbreviate with VC, and I'm like "Man, I wish I was playing Valkyria Chronicles instead of doing this."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:
You better not be implying that I am a lolicon/pedophile, because I got this tag for Selvaria.

Which is the POLAR OPPOSITE of what those people are.
You don't have pedo in your tag, so no. And your Dahlia avatar was and is still better. :p

Hcoregamer00

XiaNaphryz said:
You don't have pedo in your tag, so no. And your Dahlia avatar was and is still better. :p

Well, ironically enough people would quote my avatar implying that I was a pedophile, so I will stick with this avatar for a good long time.

Stupid people that never played Phoenix Wright

Volcynika

I may or may not be able to watch it, might skip my lab tonight (hell, I've gone to enough to drop an exam, even though my tests in that class are 100, 98, and 99).

Farnack

Banned
I wonder if they'll make up something stupid like calling Valkyria Chronicles a cross between Ring of Red and Full Spectrum Warrior.

Hcoregamer00

Farnack said:
I wonder if they'll make up something stupid like calling Valkyria Chronicles a cross between Ring of Red and Full Spectrum Warrior.

No, they will do something even more stupid by comparing this to Gears of War and Resistance 2.

At the very least they will make a passing reference to one of those two games even if they are not in the same genre.

Amazon.ca has just sent my copy out!

YES! IT'S GOOD! IT'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

Now I'll get to play it and you guys can all mock me as a n00b when I make mistakes. :)

Paracelsus

To whoever makes direct-feed screens: could you please take a screen off the first chapter scene in which is showed the picture of general Gunther? Thanks. ._.

Volcynika

Xplay gave it a 4/5

I was playing Left 4 Dead, so my attention was divided

Pros:
-Looks nice
-Strategy feels fun and fresh

Cons
-Voice acting & story are hit or miss
-Sometimes you may get frustrated on some missions / feel the enemy got cheap shots on you (I'm not completely sure about this part)

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the text of the review and video. No references to other games like Gears 2 or anything ;)

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
Amazon.ca has just sent my copy out!

YES! IT'S GOOD! IT'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

Now I'll get to play it and you guys can all mock me as a n00b when I make mistakes. :)

Don't worry about it, you are supporting the game and we will treat you like family.

Volcynika said:
Xplay gave it a 4/5

I was playing Left 4 Dead, so my attention was divided

Pros:
-Looks nice
-Strategy feels fun and fresh

Cons
-Voice acting & story are hit or miss
-Sometimes you may get frustrated on some missions / feel the enemy got cheap shots on you (I'm not completely sure about this part)

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the text of the review and video. No references to other games like Gears 2 or anything ;)

What?

The English and Japanese voice acting are both strong.

The story I can understand, but voice acting????

rykomatsu

RpgN said:
I agree about Edy though, I don't understand why she is liked that much. Probably because of her cute looks for the pedo fans.

Well, she's basically been made into the Valkyria blog spokesperson so her personality is rather decently developed for a side-character and her VA has a small but solid following in Japan.

She also hates Rosie and panics, but on the flipside, she's one of the few characters who can go down to 0HP and instead of dying, recover with 100%HP. Also with leadership, her DEF goes up so she has quite a bit of potential (no pun intended) for a shocktrooper imho.

Hcoregamer00

I just watched the review, it was definitely hit or miss.

They don't mention the musical score or the amazing character development.

The review was far weaker than IGN's video review because the length was too short to explain the breadth of the game experience, the review gets 2/5.

Volcynika

Hcoregamer00 said:
I just watched the review, it was definitely hit or miss.

They don't mention the musical score or the amazing character development.

The review was far weaker than IGN's video review because the length was too short to explain the breadth of the game experience, the review gets 2/5.

Well the written review is actually much better I think

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1876/Valkyria_Chronicles.html

Depth in story is one thing, but depth in presentation is also here. Valkyria comes complete with a massive in-game tome of supporting information not only for each character, but every weapon you come across, every nation, every term and person related to the game world. It gives some extra detail into the history of the game’s setting, and it adds to the game’s detail very nicely. Additionally, the systems involved in equipping your troops and leveling up is a streamlined, easy process; earn experience from battles, and apply it however you see fit to any of the five classes of soldier. Each soldier in that class will get the appropriate stat boost, meaning no character ever gets left behind during the story progression. You can also outfit the Edelweiss with new parts that boost damage, defense, and the like as well as the ability to upgrade equipment for your soldiers. Everything in the game’s backend is elegantly simple.

Defuser

I was thinking,which lucky soldier in Squad 7 is gonna get included in the anime? I know Edy is a sure thing. What about Vyse and Aika?

Hcoregamer00

Defuser said:
I was thinking,which lucky soldier in Squad 7 is gonna get included in the anime? I know Edy is a sure thing. What about Vyse and Aika?

Since anime goes for the cheap ratings by pandering to the otaku audience, here is what I am predicting.

-Attitude: Edy
-Rich girl: Susie
-Crazy girl: Wendy
-Non-threatening old man: Coby
-Antisocial: Marina
-Starlet: Ramona
-Lolita: ???? (have no idea)

Alidar

Neo Member
Oh man the Chapter 13 battle can be brutal if
you capture the middle base at the end of your turn, leaving Welkin's tank a sitting duck in front of one of those anti-tank guns. Thankfully I saved when Selvaria showed up before I ended that turn because you get blown up at least 80% of the time if you can't move, and obviously you got one turn to take over the final base in the event you survive.
Sucks that there wasn't any warning, but I don't think they could have logically added it in.

Hcoregamer00

Alidar said:
you capture the middle base at the end of your turn, leaving Welkin's tank a sitting duck in front of one of those anti-tank guns. Thankfully I saved when Selvaria showed up before I ended that turn because you get blown up at least 80% of the time if you can't move, and obviously you got one turn to take over the final base in the event you survive.
Sucks that there wasn't any warning, but I don't think they could have logically added it in.

It was not hard taking over the base. Send a lancer there to attack the heavy tank's weak spot, then send some scouts to grenade the base.

That's what I used, and it was a success.

Baha

Hcoregamer00 said:
Since anime goes for the cheap ratings by pandering to the otaku audience, here is what I am predicting.

-Attitude: Edy
-Rich girl: Susie
-Crazy girl: Wendy
-Non-threatening old man: Coby
-Antisocial: Marina
-Starlet: Ramona
-Lolita: ???? (have no idea)

I figure they can keep everybody in by using cameos. They don't have to focus on everybody and just do as the game does and use them in different missions.

Alidar said:

Of the
3 Selvaria battles, I thought it was by far the easiest. Particularly once you know that taking the middle base causes her to appear, then you can plan around that. Anybody making a run for the main enemy camp from the middle base is out of her range, so unlike chp.7 you don't have the worry that you are having to try move troops and take shots and she might throw out some interception fire. For my final run and had 3 scouts and a lancer, with the scouts using up their grenades on the foot soldiers and the lancer hitting the tanks radiator. Also a grenade to the back of the bunkers, hits a fuel cell, and takes them out in one hit.

patsu

This game gets my vote for best of Fall 2008 so far. Will see if the ending disappoints.

I have played Bioshock, LBP, R2 and MS2. They all offer very different experiences but Valkyria pulled me into the game and never let go (I got fed up with Bioshock once it became draggy).

People, please buy this game. T_T

Hcoregamer00

Gryphter said:
How's that art book pre-order bonus from gamestop? It goes for like $30 on ebay, but is it worth that?

Lucky me, I had to bitch and moan to get my artbook.

Those three gamestop employees deserved every thing they got because of what they did.

Top Bottom