• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00 said:
Lucky me, I had to bitch and moan to get my artbook.

Those three gamestop employees deserved every thing they got because of what they did.

care to explain? (and/or tell me if the book is good?) :D

Llyranor

Got the game yesterday. Just got to the part where you unlock your first skirmish. Really liking the game so far. Demo was a good indicator of what the game plays like, but I'm enjoying the full game quite a ways more than I did the demo.

I especially like how you upgrade weapons and level up classes as groups, rather than on an individual basis.

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Since anime goes for the cheap ratings by pandering to the otaku audience, here is what I am predicting.

-Attitude: Edy
-Rich girl: Susie
-Crazy girl: Wendy
-Non-threatening old man: Coby
-Antisocial: Marina
-Starlet: Ramona
-Lolita: ???? (have no idea)

Lolita would probably be
alicia's daughter :p

Guessing that Homer will essentially be Edy's bitch too

patsu

If I swap some new guys/gals into the Squad, do they start from level 1, or do they automatically level up to keep up with the regulars ?

patsu said:
If I swap some new guys/gals into the Squad, do they start from level 1, or do they automatically level up to keep up with the regulars ?
Don't worry, you level up your recruits by class not as individuals.

Click

Banned
Wish I got this game when Circuit City had it for $44.99. ><
Now I gotta wait for to see if there's going to be a good Black Friday deal.

kay

sonicmj1 said:
I think an interesting way of giving both players a diverse army, and having a slightly more symmetrical scenario, would be to have a sort of 'unit draft' prior to starting the game. Naturally, this sort of thing wouldn't be required (it could be time consuming), but I think it could be fun to make your own group of unique units versus your opponents group of unique units, and it'd allow some of those attachments players have from the singleplayer game to manifest in multiplayer. They could all be the same level and have their potentials available, to keep things equitable.

Naturally, multiplayer isn't an easy thing to make if you've chosen not to half-ass it. Even with recycled assets, making balanced maps and getting the orders and systems to function fairly isn't something you can do overnight. And time spent on that would detract, to some extent, from the singleplayer campaign.

I believe it's important that any Valkyria Chronicles game has a strong campaign and story above all else, and if multiplayer would come at the expense of the singleplayer, it probably isn't worth it. But even as a limited extra (almost like a slightly improved version of a Zone of the Enders 2 VS mode or something), it'd be a welcome thing that could work well and be very fun to play with the right tweaks.
yep, I agree but it would have to be some huge tweaks. Making some of the maps a lot larger is one of the bigger ones since you can cover a lot of ground with a scout. And I think you would have to take orders out as well since they would end games really fast. It would definitely be a tough task to design mp for this but it is doable, if they had the time. Even though I'd appreciate a good effort for multiplayer, I'm glad they decided to make one of my best single player experiences in a while. Only question is would it be fun? Even if it wasn't, I'd still play if they used story characters and not boring no name soldiers. What I really want is a second game with more uniforms, classes and create a character and it would be perfect. Don't skimp Sega.

Alidar

Neo Member
Hcoregamer00 said:
It was not hard taking over the base. Send a lancer there to attack the heavy tank's weak spot, then send some scouts to grenade the base.

That's what I used, and it was a success.

Oh, taking over the base was easy, I had Rosie, Largo, and Alicia in the central base and they easily romped through the final base... when I was finally able to move them. I swear I got at least 10 game overs in a row because Welkin spawns right in front of the cannon that would one-shot him. Once it actually didn't destroy me outright, but it took another turn and finished me off. I have no idea how he survived during one reload, but just barely was enough. If I knew it was coming I would have moved him once and never touched him again, but after 30 minutes of reloading it looked like I would have to restart the whole fight due to a bad save.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Stayed up until 3am playing this last night. It was a lot of fun, but there are a lot of things that feel really dumbed down which are starting to get on my nerves.

The ranking system (A, B, etc) is retarded because it seems to be based on nothing other than number of turns. If you want A ranks, this largely promotes using as few units as possible for a kamikaze run which bothers me because it feels like a bad strategy. It seems silly for the enemy to have 20 units and you win by taking one unit and only killed the two that are standing in front of a base. What? Did the rest of the enemy army, with their multiple tanks, just dedice, "oh... oh no. They took our flag. Time to go home." It should be based on a mixture of time, allies injured, commanders killed, etc.

I despise the experience system. I don't feel anywhere near attached to the characters as I would in something like fire emblem because I'm not devoting my attention to build up and customize specific characters of my choosing.

Similar complaints about the mass produced equipment. The unique stuff you get for killing named enemy units is cool, and I wish there was a lot more of that. I wish there was much more equipment customization in general. Making decisions about what kind of armor to wear with different types have different benefits/drawbacks. Maybe there is more of that later in the game.

The intercept fire is an awesome, awesome idea and I wish it was even more powerful. I wish it was even more deadly to zig zag through enemy fire. This game desperately needs a hard and very hard difficulty setting unlocked from the start so I could be playing on that instead. It would be nice if you couldn't use shocktroopers to just run up to enemies and shoot them in the face at point blank because the intercepting fire was too powerful.

Basically I think I just want a lot more RPG elements and far FAR harder difficulty. Still a great game though.

slayn said:
It seems silly for the enemy to have 20 units and you win by taking one unit and only killed the two that are standing in front of a base. What? Did the rest of the enemy army, with their multiple tanks, just dedice, "oh... oh no. They took our flag. Time to go home." It should be based on a mixture of time, allies injured, commanders killed, etc.

It would be nice if you couldn't use shocktroopers to just run up to enemies and shoot them in the face at point blank because the intercepting fire was too powerful.

Sounds to me like you found exploits, is all. If you try to play the game without using these exploits, I'm sure you would have a much better time.

slayn

radiantdreamer said:
Sounds to me like you found exploits, is all. If you try to play the game without using these exploits, I'm sure you would have a much better time.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get an A ranking other than using these "exploits."

If you make tactically perfect moves that utilize everyone on your team and methodically obliterate the enemy without them ever getting a clean shot at any of your guys such that you never even take damage, you will not get an A. You will probably get a C.

edit:
I consider the Advance Wars ranking system to be really flawed at times too, but its a lot better than this. At least it is based on a combination of time, offense, and defense, and the time requirement isn't "the fewest amount of turns it is physically possible to win in."

kay

I would suggest not to play for A ranks first time as it does involve taking the base fast a lot of times. It does involve some strategy though since you have to figure out what is the quickest way to do it without dying and CP management. If you choose not to save and load during battle even playing regularly can be a challenge, especially if you don't want people to die. I think the difficulty is fine but it is very easy if you know what are you doing of course.

kay said:
I would suggest not to play for A ranks first time as it does involve taking the base fast a lot of times. It does involve some strategy though since you have to figure out what is the quickest way to do it without dying and CP management. If you choose not to save and load during battle even playing regularly can be a challenge, especially if you don't want people to die. I think the difficulty is fine but it is very easy if you know what are you doing of course.

I was thinking the same thing. Play it through normally and just enjoy the game the first time through. A-ranking seems overrated to me anyway. :p

slayn

but... but I'm ocd about ranks in things like this :(
I play every advance wars title and refuse to move on to the next level until I S-rank the current one.

I'm sure the difficulty is fine for people that aren't hardcore srpg fans. My problem is just that I play every decent srpg I can get my hands on and crank the difficulty up as high as possible. It always bothers me when games like fire emblem don't have their 'inhumanly brutal maniac difficulty' unlocked right from the start for a first play through.

I like srpgs where I have to play maps 10-15 times just to figure out how to beat them.

kay

slayn said:
I play every advance wars title and refuse to move on to the next level until I S-rank the current one.

I'm sure the difficulty is fine for people that aren't hardcore srpg fans. My problem is just that I play every decent srpg I can get my hands on and crank the difficulty up as high as possible. It always bothers me when games like fire emblem don't have their 'inhumanly brutal maniac difficulty' unlocked right from the start for a first play through.

I like srpgs where I have to play maps 10-15 times just to figure out how to beat them.
What's your best scores? I posted mine earlier http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13607152&postcount=1964

Baha

slayn said:

There's a new+ game that carries over everything from your first playthrough. Getting A-ranks afterwards for every mission/skirmish will be a cakewalk to do then. For now, try playing 'fair' and enjoy it for what it does right. Hopefully if they make a sequel they can address these concerns and others.

slayn

kay said:
I haven't beaten it yet, do I have access to that stats page? I hadn't stumbled across it but I wasn't looking. I will look for it when next I boot up the game, probably not till this weekend.

Baha said:
There's a new+ game that carries over everything from your first playthrough. Getting A-ranks afterwards for every mission/skirmish will be a cakewalk to do then. For now, try playing 'fair' and enjoy it for what it does right. Hopefully if they make a sequel they can address these concerns and others.
Its not about seeing all A's on my game file, its about... proving to myself that I can top rank every battle without any additional benfits (no game+ for better units, no skimrishes for level grinding, etc) and the thrill that comes from finally being able to pull it off after numerous attempts, if that makes any sense.

Alidar

Neo Member
Edit: Nevermind, seems I just had a chunk of reports unlock, probably due to the story elements revealed in chapter 14.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow I did the side stories for Elanor and Rosie and all I can say is
that they are amazing. The Elanor one was extremely easy with snipers and Elite Scouts. The story was charming because Elanor finally resolved and issue that haunted her for 20 years. Seeing the relationship between her and Largo was so charming to watch. The Rosie mission was great because it showed just how awesome having an entire team of shocktroopers are. The story with the boy was heart wrenching, and I admit that it got to me when she spoke to Isara and it dawned on me just how much she developed as a character.

<3 Rosie

kay

Hcoregamer00 said:
Wow I did the side stories for Elanor and Rosie and all I can say is
that they are amazing. The Elanor one was extremely easy with snipers and Elite Scouts. The story was charming because Elanor finally resolved and issue that haunted her for 20 years. Seeing the relationship between her and Largo was so charming to watch. The Rosie mission was great because it showed just how awesome having an entire team of shocktroopers are. The story with the boy was heart wrenching, and I admit that it got to me when she spoke to Isara and it dawned on me just how much she developed as a character.

<3 Rosie
Yup, the emotional connections were so well done, so sappy it hurts.

Chapter 15 was a bit of a bitch. At first I thought I was going to be able to do it.
Selvaria doesn't give you an inch. So my characters kept dying as I climbed up the stairs to the top. Then I realised something... I'd forgotten all about the smoke bomb. Doh!

Anyways I actually did it in 7 turns and got an A. Not bad considering I felt I wasn't doing too well on that one.

Also managed to do that Windmill level in the Skirmish in 1 turn. Originally I did it in 2 and got a B. I thought there was no way you could do that in 1. But a little practice and I cracked it. Rather easy actually and a nice bit of money and XP in the kitty.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Katana_Strikes said:
Anyways I actually did it in 7 turns and got an A. Not bad considering I felt I wasn't doing too well on that one.

7 turns is still an A-rank? That kind of makes my 1-turn finish look excessive.

I finished both Chapter 15 missions on the very first turn. It made for an incredibly anticlimactic chapter.

kay

ixix said:
7 turns is still an A-rank? That kind of makes my 1-turn finish look excessive.

I finished both Chapter 15 missions on the very first turn. It made for an incredibly anticlimactic chapter.
I was going to ask how but then I discovered the double movement potential. Now this changes certain levels..

Fcuk yes. I got an A on both chapters 10 and 11 on my first try.! Sure there was a lot of reloading but that means not!

I also spoiled Ch. 11 for myself here so that sucked a little bit.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
kay said:
I was going to ask how but then I discovered the double movement potential. Now this changes certain levels..

Double Movement pretty much breaks the game. I refuse to believe that it was intended to work the way it does. Doesn't stop me from abusing the hell out of it, though.

jiggle

Just got this game
WTF
black and white manual?!?
Trusty Bell auto win D:

Installing it now, can't wait :) Probably can't put in much serious time until i finish up TB.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
To celebrate my new Canon XSi digital SLR I took some new pictures of my figures that make my point and shoot look like dogshit.

5 year old point and shoot :lol

DSC05983-1-1.jpg

New Canon SLR that I got today :D

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Digital SLR = LOVE

Baha

Necroscope said:
Please help, I cant figure out how to use Ragnaid on myself. The manual set press L3, but it doesnt work.

Select it like you would when changing weapons using square, aim anywhere as long as the cross hair is white and press x. If you want to heal a team mate you have to be close to them and aim it at them until the crosshair turns blue.

RpgN

I remember some members said that you get Emile by Oscar getting killed here. Well, I got Emile after chapter 14 without using Oscar at all and everyone is still alive. What gives?

Ps. chapter 14 was quite epic and chapter 15 looks to be just as good. I didn't see this coming out of our Alicia. Chapter 11 was a good one too.

Baha

RpgN said:
I remember some members said that you get Emile by Oscar getting killed here. Well, I got Emile after chapter 14 without using Oscar at all and everyone is still alive. What gives?

Ps. chapter 14 was quite epic and chapter 15 looks to be just as good. I didn't see this coming out of our Alicia. Chapter 11 was a good one too.

You don't have to lose Oscar (or Karl for that matter), you just need to have their 4th potential unlocked and to rescue them once in battle afterwards. It's odd that he's shown up just randomly though. Especially at chapter 14, like Lynn, Knute or Audrey he's the only recruit that'll show up in the list alone after fulfilling the requirements.

RpgN

Baha said:
You don't have to lose Oscar (or Karl for that matter), you just need to have their 4th potential unlocked and to rescue them once in battle afterwards. It's odd that he's shown up just randomly though. Especially at chapter 14, like Lynn, Knute or Audrey he's the only recruit that'll show up in the list alone after fulfilling the requirements.

Hmmm...I did have both their 4th potentials and I did save Oscar before, but that was a couple of missions back. It seems I did fill the requirements unconsciously :p That's better though, I don't like using faqs and spoil the fun :D So now I have 49 recruits...One left!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The problem with the talking isn't the amount of it, but the steady pattern of too much repeated information.

1) Something which hints to something about to happen.
2) Something goes on where someone notices it about to happen.
3) The person about to make it happen (good or evil) talking about how they'll make it happen.
4) Someone they are with confirms that they are about to make it happen.
5) The person on the other side from 2 discovers this and then goes to explain to their team.
6) The others are shocked/impressed and go "what?" or "what should we do?"
7) The person from 2 and 5 explains their plan.
8) The others voice their differing perspectives.
9) You go to battle, and all the information is repeated in a battle plan.
10) It happens, but just before it does whoever was going to do it boldly announces they will.
11) Both sides talk about what just happened.

This pretty much happens every single chapter, and most of it is very official business sort of talking about the next step in the war, not character building stuff. I find myself watching step 1 and 2 because that's where I myself find out, then skipping past all this people-finding-out-and-telling crap until someone gets personal.

Farnack

Banned
Dice said:
The problem with the talking isn't the amount of it, but the steady pattern of too much repeated information.

1) Something which hints to something about to happen.
2) Something goes on where someone notices it about to happen.
3) The person about to make it happen (good or evil) talking about how they'll make it happen.
4) Someone they are with confirms that they are about to make it happen.
5) The person on the other side from 2 discovers this and then goes to explain to their team.
6) The others are shocked/impressed and go "what?" or "what should we do?"
7) The person from 2 and 5 explains their plan.
8) The others voice their differing perspectives.
9) You go to battle, and all the information is repeated in a battle plan.
10) It happens, but just before it does whoever was going to do it boldly announces they will.
11) Both sides talk about what just happened.

This pretty much happens every single chapter, and most of it is very official business sort of talking about the next step in the war, not character building stuff. I find myself watching step 1 and 2 because that's where I myself find out, then skipping past all this people-finding-out-and-telling crap until someone gets personal.
Yeah, cuz foreshadowing is like a bad thing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RpgN said:
Hmmm...I did have both their 4th potentials and I did save Oscar before, but that was a couple of missions back. It seems I did fill the requirements unconsciously :p That's better though, I don't like using faqs and spoil the fun :D So now I have 49 recruits...One left!
Heh, I got both Emile and Lynn in Chapter 8 when I was grinding everyone's last potentials in Skirmish 1.

Farnack said:
Yeah, cuz foreshadowing is like a bad thing.

No, but from the way he's said it, it's like they're beating you with the foreshadowing stick until your eyes bleed.

Hcoregamer00 said:
To celebrate my new Canon XSi digital SLR I took some new pictures of my figures that make my point and shoot look like dogshit.

Digital SLR = LOVE

Not to derail, but I sort of resent that. It's the man, not the machine. Here is a picture I took with my "dogshit" point and shoot. (it actually is quite dogshit)

01.jpg

There ARE obvious problems with a POS er I mean PaS, but I hope you will play and play and play with that SLR until you're able to make your photos look kickass!

BTW, congrats on the camera! The difference in quality is obvious in your comparison photos!

RpgN

XiaNaphryz said:
Heh, I got both Emile and Lynn in Chapter 8 when I was grinding everyone's last potentials in Skirmish 1.

Not bad at all. I'm not sure if I have Lynn though. Gotta search through the profile :p

Top Bottom