• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
radiantdreamer said:
Not to derail, but I sort of resent that. It's the man, not the machine. Here is a picture I took with my "dogshit" point and shoot. (it actually is quite dogshit)

01.jpg

There ARE obvious problems with a POS er I mean PaS, but I hope you will play and play and play with that SLR until you're able to make your photos look kickass!

BTW, congrats on the camera! The difference in quality is obvious in your comparison photos!

Well hello there Lucy.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Not to derail, but I sort of resent that. It's the man, not the machine. Here is a picture I took with my "dogshit" point and shoot. (it actually is quite dogshit)

There ARE obvious problems with a POS er I mean PaS, but I hope you will play and play and play with that SLR until you're able to make your photos look kickass!

BTW, congrats on the camera! The difference in quality is obvious in your comparison photos!

I knew that my post would get the ire of someone. I agree that it is the man, not the machine.

My point was that my 5 year old camera is a piece of shit in today's standards. The point and shoots cameras you can buy today are leagues better. Not only did I upgrade my camera from a dinosaur to new technology, I also moved up a class in terms of complexity.

A Digital SLR is even more dependent on the person's skill than a point and shoot camera. That means that the person behind the machine will be even more important when it comes to cameras. As you noticed, the difference in technology is HUGE. My one day of experience with my SLR produced a far superior picture compared to my point and shoot that I owned for 5 years and took 17,600 pictures with.

Ahem, now back to Valkyria Chronicles.

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
I knew that my post would get the ire of someone. I agree that it is the man, not the machine.

My point was that my 5 year old camera is a piece of shit in today's standards. The point and shoots cameras you can buy today are leagues better. Not only did I upgrade my camera from a dinosaur to new technology, I also moved up a class in terms of complexity.

A Digital SLR is even more dependent on the person's skill than a point and shoot camera. That means that the person behind the machine will be even more important when it comes to cameras. As you noticed, the difference in technology is HUGE. My one day of experience with my SLR produced a far superior picture compared to my point and shoot that I owned for 5 years and took 17,600 pictures with.

Ahem, now back to Valkyria Chronicles.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole but just to clear some misconceptions, a lot of the image quality has to do with the glass you're using. I have the original Digital Rebel (i think from...2004?) and I'm sure with some of the lenses I use, the IQ will match and/or surpass the IQ of your current setup. If there's a lens/camera rental shop near you, I highly suggest trying out some canon L lenses :)

Also, post-processing will improve image quality, significantly, as well so even a 5 year old P&S isn't all that bad in the hands of the right person. If anything, DSLR does have a significant placebo effect that instills a sense of confidence in the person using it, even if they're still futzing around with manual settings and what not.

Congrats on your purchase, though...I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just be careful...once you start buying glass, it'll become a huge money pit :( lol

Big-E

Just finished the 9th chapter and so far the story is picking up. I really enjoy the side stories you can buy. Hopefully this game will get some deserving sales and turn a good profit, it totally deserves it.

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
Congrats on your purchase, though...I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just be careful...once you start buying glass, it'll become a huge money pit :( lol

That's what I hear.

It will be lots of fun getting broke and buying new lenses once I get decent enough with the kit lens. I don't intend on buying a new lens until I get good enough with this one, it is a whole new word moving from my Sony Cybershot P92 to a Canon XSi.

But hey, even after buying this I still have a ton of money to buy the new Valkyria figures that are coming out in December. If I really wanted to burn a hole in my wallet I would have bough a 40D or 50D.

Good times, now that my inner photography whore is satisfied, I can do some more Valkyria playing this weekend.

Big-E said:
Just finished the 9th chapter and so far the story is picking up. I really enjoy the side stories you can buy. Hopefully this game will get some deserving sales and turn a good profit, it totally deserves it.

The side stories really are great, they flesh out the game similar to the skits in the Tales games.

The difference is that they aren't as cheaply made or seen as often.

Yazuka

shagg_187 said:
FUCK YOU CANADA! FUCK. YOU!!

EVERY MOTHERFUCKING STORE I GOTO... "Yeah. We have one in stock but we can't find it."

HOW THE FUCK IS THAT FUCKING POSSIBLE???!!!!!

AGAIN... FUCK YOU!!!!

I don't exactly know where in Canada you are or where this store is located.
But have you tried VideoGamesPlus? They are from Canada.
I import all my games from them. Got my copy from them today.
I bet you can get the adresses from their site videogamesplus.ca.
Hope it might help a little.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's what I hear.

It will be lots of fun getting broke and buying new lenses once I get decent enough with the kit lens. I don't intend on buying a new lens until I get good enough with this one, it is a whole new word moving from my Sony Cybershot P92 to a Canon XSi.

But hey, even after buying this I still have a ton of money to buy the new Valkyria figures that are coming out in December. If I really wanted to burn a hole in my wallet I would have bough a 40D or 50D.

Good times, now that my inner photography whore is satisfied, I can do some more Valkyria playing this weekend.

Woah! I see it now. :p My camera is only 1 or 2 years newer than yours - Mine's a Panasonic FX-9 (the oldest model of it). POS has no manual focus. I think cybershots at least have MF.

Yeah, good luck with affording the lenses too... The reason why I haven't upgraded to a DSLR is because I'll be just taking photos of my figures, and well... I keep buying more figures!

shagg_187 said:

EVERY MOTHERFUCKING STORE I GOTO... "Yeah. We have one in stock but we can't find it."

AGAIN... FUCK YOU!!!!

I too had A LOT of difficulty trying to find this game. OMG, it's insane. If you preordered from amazon.ca like I did, you would still have to wait. Mine JUST shipped out a few days ago. It'll be another week before I get it, I think. What I would do is preorder for the next shipment from amazon.ca, and continue looking. If you manage to find it in store first, then cancel your order. They don't charge you a thing until your order is ready to ship.

Checking on futureshop's website sometimes yields results... looks like they have stock at one of my local stores, but who knows? Good to give them a call too in order to save yourself a trip. Good luck man, don't give up. Sega needs your help. :)

Spike

shagg_187 said:

AGAIN... FUCK YOU!!!!

As Yazuka said above, VideoGamePlus.ca is all you need. They always get lots of stock and they usually get their games a day or so before EB.

Farnack

Banned
shagg_187 said:

AGAIN... FUCK YOU!!!!
LOL!

Happened to me.

Llyranor

Are skirmishes basically rehashes of the main scenarios? Skirmish #2 was almost exactly like one of the main battles. Original scenarios, or mainly a source of xp/gold?

Also, I missed the sniper support order from the old man because I didn't have enough funds that chapter? Is it gone for good? Can't seem to have access to it anymore.

Dave1988

Wow, I didn't know that you unlock additional Ellet reports on your second playthrough (Just unlocked a piece on Cordelia). Cool stuff. I hope I'll unlock more reports later on :D

Baha

Dave1988 said:
Wow, I didn't know that you unlock additional Ellet reports on your second playthrough (Just unlocked a piece on Cordelia). Cool stuff. I hope I'll unlock more reports later on :D

Was the Cordelia report the last report at the bottom? I have everything before that line.

Llyranor said:
Are skirmishes basically rehashes of the main scenarios? Skirmish #2 was almost exactly like one of the main battles. Original scenarios, or mainly a source of xp/gold?

Also, I missed the sniper support order from the old man because I didn't have enough funds that chapter? Is it gone for good? Can't seem to have access to it anymore.

Some of the skirmishes have a little different objectives to the main game

I'm sure the orders come up again...

Any help on Chapter 18 Last Mission? I'm finding it quite tough and not getting anywhere fast.

Got my friend to buy this today too! :D

Dave1988

Baha said:
Was the Cordelia report the last report at the bottom? I have everything before that line.

The report fits in between chapter 11 and 12. It's the last report in the game and after you have watched it you are awarded the Gallian Frontline Commemorative medal

Finally finished it. Took me just over 32 hours. I was working it wrong on the final mission but once you know how it's very easy actually. Very good game and I'd really like to see a sequel. Fantastic characters and well done story.

I'm going to go back through it again now and try doing the levels with A ranking. I'm also going to put on the English VOs this time for a change. The Japanese VO was excellent.

Carmilla

Banned
SO I've only finished the first "Mission" but I am LOVING it.

Also, the Seiyuu for the photographer is absolutely AMAZING. Her comic timing is at a level rarely seen in video games.

Dragon

Banned
I'm still scared of Maximillian in Chapter 7. I've been on it for a week and I have it saved at a certain point and I just don't want to start it up. :(

Dyne

TheBranca18 said:
I'm still scared of Maximillian in Chapter 7. I've been on it for a week and I have it saved at a certain point and I just don't want to start it up. :(

Just take out the guns on his tank and keep your tank back. He's honestly nothing to be afraid of without those guns. : )

Barrett2

After getting sucked in last week by my season in NBA 2k9, I finally got back to this last night and beat Ch.4.

I think my biggest complaint is the drill sergeant who yells at you every time you go to upgrade a character type, or really any of the upgrade tabs. I can't stand the intro sound bytes they spit at you every time. :lol

Shadow780

Llyranor said:

After you finish the game skirmish battles will have Hard Mode to select, where they completely changed the layout of enemies and increased difficulty.

maskrider

Finished my 4th play through, clocked around 75hrs and got everything (doesn't need to play that much but I will always miss this and that during a play through that missed the conditions). Not the best of myself but need to stop already, don't think I'll open my UK version when I get it the coming week, ha ha !

vc-us-st-1.jpg

vc-us-st-2.jpg

nny

So I finally had some time to dedicate to this game (the thesis is finished *yay*), and all of my expectations have been met so far (Ch. 4). The battle system is a lot of fun, and the story is keeping me interested; and lots of charm all around.

@maskrider: are the battle ranks only dependent on the number of turns you need the end the battle? or other factors count (like deaths on your squad)?

maskrider

nny said:
So I finally had some time to dedicate to this game (the thesis is finished *yay*), and all of my expectations have been met so far (Ch. 4). The battle system is a lot of fun, and the story is keeping me interested; and lots of charm all around.

@maskrider: are the battle ranks only dependent on the number of turns you need the end the battle? or other factors count (like deaths on your squad)?

The ranks are only dependent on number of turns.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So I was MIA for a while, first Mirror's Edge took a bit of attention, then my DLP lamp died and I was TVless for like 5 days, then then L4D, but I finally got back to playing.

Just finished Chapter 11. Holy shit.

Xisiqomelir

Finished!

What a brilliant experience. I am completely in love with this game, and anything this team ever does again I'll be absolutely ready to buy. Really, the only flaw that sticks out to me is that it's a little too easy, but easy games have made my personal GOTY before (OOT, TP, GOW2) and Valkyria is absolutely the best game I've played this year.

Is the English track good? I think I want to switch it up for NewGame+

RpgN

Xisiqomelir said:
Finished!

What a brilliant experience. I am completely in love with this game, and anything this team ever does again I'll be absolutely ready to buy. Really, the only flaw that sticks out to me is that it's a little too easy, but easy games have made my personal GOTY before (OOT, TP, GOW2) and Valkyria is absolutely the best game I've played this year.

Is the English track good? I think I want to switch it up for NewGame+

Congrats!

I agree about the difficulty, especially where I am atm (chapter 14 finished). In the beginning you had to get used to the game, and your characters weren't as strong. But now, it's getting pretty easy. I'm looking forward to hard skirmish missions on new game+

About the English dubs, they're very good. I'm not sure how good it is compared to Japanese dubs, since I haven't tried that one out yet.

I think the English dubs are ok but nothing great. It's certainly feels a different experience doing it again with English VO. A nice change none the less after you've played it through with the Japanese.

I think the difficulty curve could have done with being better. The difficulty got cranked up a bit too early only for it to get very easy, then getting a bit harder again towards the end.

I'd also have loved if there was more statistics (and given earlier to you). Things like who's killed the most, what person you've used the most etc...

Loading was also painful slow when you're doing it within a battle (25 secs), so hopefully if there's a sequel they will speed that up. A restart option would also have been appreciated.

RobertM

I like that there isn't a lot of pretentious bull shit going on in the dialog, this is concerning the part where Alicia and Welkin are
alone in the abandon house and Welkin discusses his past
. (not much of a spoiler really)

Hcoregamer00

RobertM said:
I like that there isn't a lot of pretentious bull shit going on in the dialog, this is concerning the part where Alicia and Welkin are
alone in the abandon house and Welkin discusses his past
. (not much of a spoiler really)

Well, Valkyria Chronicles focuses on the human side of warfare. The game does an awesome job showing the dark side of war (racism, violence, destruction) along with the bright spots of war (camaraderie, friendship, and tolerance).

I would argue that Valkyria Chronicles is the closest you can get to having an anti-war stance in games, which is funny because the game centers on war.

Durante

Xisiqomelir said:
Finished!

What a brilliant experience. I am completely in love with this game, and anything this team ever does again I'll be absolutely ready to buy.
I'm with you, I hope we find out soon what they're working on now. Or perhaps it's better not to find out too soon because that would make the wait unbearable :/

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
I'm with you, I hope we find out soon what they're working on now. Or perhaps it's better not to find out too soon because that would make the wait unbearable :/

I bet you that whatever they are working on it has nothing to do with Valkyria Chronicles.

Just a hunch.

Big-E

I am on Chapter 17 now and I am wondering how far am I till the end. I got to do a bunch of homework and I am wondering if I will be able to finish the game in an hour or two.

RpgN

Big-E said:
I am on Chapter 17 now and I am wondering how far am I till the end. I got to do a bunch of homework and I am wondering if I will be able to finish the game in an hour or two.

Chapter 18 is the last, you're almost here!

ibu

I shall be jumping into bed with this and Brothers in Arms at xmas.

Daren't read the thread but cannot wait to play it.

kinn

Just started playing the game this week. Only at Chapter 7 at the moment and I love the game. To the people who have finished the game, how long did it take?

I take it there's been no news on whether this has sold well in USA/Europe? Or what the team is working on next?

Just warms my heart seeing Vyse and the crew from Skies once again.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
kinn said:
Just started playing the game this week. Only at Chapter 7 at the moment and I love the game. To the people who have finished the game, how long did it take?

It took me almost exactly 40 hours for my first play-through, doing all optional missions. Couple of hours of that the game was actually sitting idle while I did something else, but hey. Still counts.

Most reports from people who have finished in this thread peg it at 30-40 hours, with a few outliers.

kinn said:
I take it there's been no news on whether this has sold well in USA/Europe? Or what the team is working on next?

If we're going to get US sales information we've got at least a couple weeks yet to wait. I doubt we'll ever hear anything concrete about European sales.

No word on the team's next project.

Hcoregamer00

kinn said:

All signs are pointing to the game selling poorly.

The game was difficult to find in the USA for the first couple of days, in Canada this delay was exacerbated because of a different cover that included French. Most of the gamestops had 3-4 orders of this game (from my personal observation along with other anecdotal evidence from the good people posting here), with the rare one getting more. Big box retailers like Wal Mart, Target, and Best Buy also did not get shipments of this game until later.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but this game sold like shit, and all signs are pointing to it. Unless word of mouth keeps sales consistent for the next couple of months, you are looking at another Sega bomb. In fact, this is probably one of the biggest Sega bombs in a while. I found out talking to a Best Buy employee that they did not SELL A SINGLE COPY since the game came out, expect the game to price collapse fast after the holidays are done.

Whatever the team is working on, they are likely done with this franchise unless they set their standards so low that our poor western sales are seen are good.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but this game sold like shit, and all signs are pointing to it.

. . . There was a parade?

Top Bottom