• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

patsu said:
Chapter 18-1.
How do you get Welkin to shoot at the Valkur ? His aim is too low and when I went up the ramp between the turrets it only managed to hit the bottom part of the tip. It also didn't affect the health bar of the Valkur :(

I have no idea, I thought riding the tanks up on the dirt so that they could aim high enough was awkward, plus I didn't bother to take down the tank cannons, only the turrets. I ended up just leaving both tanks at their starting positions, and only used the Edelweiss once; right at the beginning of the battle I used a mortar to kill the group of enemies on the bottom left of the map. I took the Valkur out with a single lancer standing on the top deck, Jann ftw!

Did anyone else just neglect the Shamrock for the entire game? I was using it at first, but then just said to hell with it and usually just left it at the starting point, not caring if it gets killed. Weaker weaponry, 2 CP, no smoke rounds... no thanks

Baha

Gryphter said:
I have no idea, I thought riding the tanks up on the dirt so that they could aim high enough was awkward, plus I didn't bother to take down the tank cannons, only the turrets. I ended up just leaving both tanks at their starting positions, and only used the Edelweiss once; right at the beginning of the battle I used a mortar to kill the group of enemies on the bottom left of the map. I took the Valkur out with a single lancer standing on the top deck, Jann ftw!

Did anyone else just neglect the Shamrock for the entire game? I was using it at first, but then just said to hell with it and usually just left it at the starting point, not caring if it gets killed. Weaker weaponry, 2 CP, no smoke rounds... no thanks

Yeah I neglected the shamrock, they needed to give it some kind of bonus like 1 CP per use or something. Otherwise it was just a smaller edelweiss w/o any perks (A flamethrower? My troopers have that already) and when you're tackling missions, there really isn't any motivation to use it over the edelweiss except for cover or as your lead unit to spot tanks lying in ambush and a scout already does that except much better.

Durante

Gryphter said:
I neglected the Edelweiss ever since I got the Shamrock. Drive twice as far and smaller, so easier to just navigate behind enemy tanks and 1-shot them. Also, no game over if I ever fuck up. I don't think I've ever used the Edelweiss since.

Egg Shen

patsu said:
Chapter 18-1.
How do you get Welkin to shoot at the Valkur ? His aim is too low and when I went up the ramp between the turrets it only managed to hit the bottom part of the tip. It also didn't affect the health bar of the Valkur :(
This was a hard battle for me, but I also ignored the Shamrock and kept it at base camp. I brought the Edelweiss up to the corner of the tread which put it just beyond the range of the Valkur and at an angle impossible for its rear artillery to hit (I didn't take out any of the cannons). I had Jane next to it (to handle any soldiers that might run up from below or from the ramp) and an engineer. Once I had a good position to attack the Valkur (after Rosie and Largo had taken out the radiators), I moved it out and kept the two just below the ramp.

I moved the Edelweiss into one of the dirt divots in the back (they're along the giant treads trails), spun it around, and backed into one which tilted the tank up (I think I picked the second or third one back from the ramp area).

I think I had to end one of my previous phases early enough to give me two extra command points for the following phase allowing me to hit the Valkur the number of times I needed to kill it before it primed again for another shot. My tank was in a terrible position at this point and I didn't think I'd have enough CP or movement gauge to get it to safety.

Just got my first skirmish. I have to say that Edy has my love. She's a little generic looking, but wow is she cute!

What level should I be before I tackle the bridge? Right now, I really have nothing to go on in terms of progressive difficulty.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Durante said:
I neglected the Edelweiss ever since I got the Shamrock. Drive twice as far and smaller, so easier to just navigate behind enemy tanks and 1-shot them. Also, no game over if I ever fuck up. I don't think I've ever used the Edelweiss since.

I use both of them... I use the Shamrock like you said, to get behind tanks and sneak in smaller spots, but the Edelweiss is still my muscle.

But... I've had Zaka get whacked in a few battles and had him retreat.

Anyone have strategy for that side mission where you have to defend the refugee camp for 8 turns?

I thought I was doing great, then a guy slipped by me...

Baha

El_TigroX said:
I use both of them... I use the Shamrock like you said, to get behind tanks and sneak in smaller spots, but the Edelweiss is still my muscle.

But... I've had Zaka get whacked in a few battles and had him retreat.

Anyone have strategy for that side mission where you have to defend the refugee camp for 8 turns?

That one's tricky
I beat it with an engineer, rosie, largo & a sniper. Use the sniper near the rocks in front of the base with the engineer for cover fire as well. I left the edelweiss on the left side of the base on the road to cover any runners and it's far enough from the other tanks for a few turns. I moved largo up in the grassy area on the right of the sniper & engineer (crawling whenever his turn was done) to take out the tank radiators and rosie was on the right side of the base with occasional help from the engineer (I moved him back and forth).

frackin' hell!!

I went on to wikipedia to try and find out why Rosie's name is Brigitte, and run into a GIANT MF'ing spoiler that pretty much ruined the whole love interest potential for me. BLAAAARGH!

El_TigroX said:

I couldn't give you an exact turn by turn strategy, but I relied mostly on a sniper (focusing on taking out enemy snipers and lancers first) and mortar rounds for the Eidelweiss doing a few save/reloads to maximise the splash damage. I also deployed Rosie, who got a move or two a turn (flamethrowers good for the enemies who are grouped together), and Largo, who did nothing but provide some CP. And I also had an engineer for resupply/repair and the occassional kill.

You can cheat a little if you have the reveal enemy order. Save, use it, then reload remembering the positions of the people in grass. I did have one enemy shocktrooper who got really close to the camp but he had taken 2 goes getting there, so thankfully didn't have enough AP to finish the run before my turn.

Edit: I think baha's strategy sounds better. As long as you keep your troops hidden in the grass, the tanks shouldn't be that much of a problem for the early rounds, because of their low movement, so you can concentrate on taking out the ground troops.

patsu

U K Narayan said:
Help for Chapter 17. I need a strategy.

52 hours, now.

I had to rely on
Awaken Potential -- Undodgeable Shot twice to the head
to kill the boss.
She kept evading incoming shots even when I flanked her from behind

patsu said:
I had to rely on
Awaken Potential -- Undodgeable Shot twice to the head
to kill the boss.
She kept evading incoming shots even when I flanked her from behind
That's Chapter 16.

I'm talking about 17. The one where you fight
Jaeger

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Baha said:
That one's tricky
I beat it with an engineer, rosie, largo & a sniper. Use the sniper near the rocks in front of the base with the engineer for cover fire as well. I left the edelweiss on the left side of the base on the road to cover any runners and it's far enough from the other tanks for a few turns. I moved largo up in the grassy area on the right of the sniper & engineer (crawling whenever his turn was done) to take out the tank radiators and rosie was on the right side of the base with occasional help from the engineer (I moved him back and forth).

That's almost the exact same strategy I am using... I think I just had Rosie too far to one side and the guy slipped by me out of nowhere. I'll have to try it again tonight.

patsu

U K Narayan said:
That's Chapter 16.

Jaeger

LOL ! I stayed up to play both in the same night. Got 'em mixed up.

Use smoke screen to hide your tank.

When Jaeger went into the smaller streets, my Edelweiss simply went on a round trip to take all the camps, one at a time. Ishara's (*sniff*) smoke grenade will protect the tank.

I also kept 2 snipers at the first roof top to prevent enemies from retaking the bases back.

I put Rosie on the second roof top to protect the base right beside the building.

Baha

U K Narayan said:
That's Chapter 16.

Jaeger

Well, there's a way to beat it in 1 turn...highlight the following if you're interested:
Hector + Awaken Potential, then move him towards Jaeger. On the following turns move a bit closer, always firing at the tank while staying out of range of it's machine gun. If you don't miss any shots (in-battle save will help), you should be able to destroy his tank armor with 2-3 moves left. With awaken potential, Hector's Tank Slayer will destroy the exposed tank underneath in one hit.

You can beat it the longer and hard way but I was in a rush to see the ending. I'm gonna take the longer way my 2nd time through though.

patsu

Holy cow at Hector. I think my Hector died permanently in Chapter 7. I am emotionally scarred by the first encounter with Selvaria.

dudeguy24

So guys, I bought this game purely on the hype that I've seen in this thread. However, before I open the sealed game (and voiding my chance to return it), can anyone tell me what game this is most similar to? Or is it just super totally original/awesome?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
dudeguy24 said:
So guys, I bought this game purely on the hype that I've seen in this thread. However, before I open the sealed game (and voiding my chance to return it), can anyone tell me what game this is most similar to? Or is it just super totally original/awesome?
Think if Fire Emblem and Mass Effect had a baby.

Baha said:
Well, there's a way to beat it in 1 turn...highlight the following if you're interested:
Hector + Awaken Potential, then move him towards Jaeger. On the following turns move a bit closer, always firing at the tank while staying out of range of it's machine gun. If you don't miss any shots (in-battle save will help), you should be able to destroy his tank armor with 2-3 moves left. With awaken potential, Hector's Tank Slayer will destroy the exposed tank underneath in one hit.

You can beat it the longer and hard way but I was in a rush to see the ending. I'm gonna take the longer way my 2nd time through though.
I'm going to do it this way, because this game is draining me. Thanks!

Ploid 3.0

dudeguy24 said:

Look at the video reviews. I only played Front Mission 3, FFtactics, and a good amount of 3rd person shooters. It's like a mix of them. I played a bit of fire emblem but not enough. If you let characters stay dead they won't come back.

jmonteiro

Baha said:

That is an awesome tip. I will probably do that on my second run :D

So I'm probably going to pick this up tomorrow. And I just wanted to know... English dub or original Japanese?

I know from anime watching that the original Japanese is almost always (Cowboy Bebop being the generally accepted exception) better but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Oh, and about how many hours can I expect out of this game?

Thanks. :D

Durante

TenshiOni said:
So I'm probably going to pick this up tomorrow. And I just wanted to know... English dub or original Japanese?
We had this 4 times over the course of the thread. Dub is not bad, original still better IMO, try it for yourself if you're unsure.

TenshiOni said:
Oh, and about how many hours can I expect out of this game?
That depends on how many side missions and skirmishes you do, and how fast you are during battles. I've seen everything from 25 to 45+ hours mentioned.

Defuser

Paracelsus said:
Any tip for Flower of the Battlefield is welcome. Thanks. ._.;;;;;;;;
Use Rosie & Largo for extra CP,a good engineer for resupplying and repairing and use Marina to take out any threatening foe from far distance. Abuse Penetration order and the usual defense/evade orders if got chance.

Make sure while moving around,always hide in the grass for safety. Most importantly,find all enemies hiding in the grass on extreme right and left side especially on the right side cause it's nearer to the base plus one of them is a scout.

AlexM

FFS!

I've gone to 3 stores (HMV, ebgames, bestbuy) and none of them have it. So I finally decide to go to amazon and THEY are sold out.

I have a theory on the sales issue, maybe they only printed 30k copies :/

/rant

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AlexM said:
FFS!

I've gone to 3 stores (HMV, ebgames, bestbuy) and none of them have it. So I finally decide to go to amazon and THEY are sold out.

/rant

As I said earlier, Sega did an "atlus" and underprinted the game.

Either they underestimated demand, or they were being incredibly cautious so that the game wont price collapse.

Baha

AlexM said:
FFS!

/rant

If you are in Toronto, go to GameShack, they have copies in stock.

AlexM

I'll try the local department stores tomorrow, but as it stands I'm having more trouble finding a copy of this than the original printing of persona3.

Baha said:
If you are in Toronto, go to GameShack, they have copies in stock.

vancouver :(

AlexM said:
vancouver :(

Me too! I had to buy my copy on amazon.ca... tell ya what, if I see a copy around, I will post it here.

djkimothy said:
Welkin: You're as pretty as a white winged gull...
Alicia: So I look like a seagull?...

:lol Best side quest story ever.

WTF, Spoiler that shit man!! I'm sure that has ruined EVERYTHING for me.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
As I said earlier, Sega did an "atlus" and underprinted the game.

Either they underestimated demand, or they were being incredibly cautious so that the game wont price collapse.
Well, if nothing else it's a good way to reinforce the game's (completely deserved) image of quality
to increase the franchise appeal for the sequel! /wish

Durante said:
Well, if nothing else it's a good way to reinforce the game's (completely deserved) image of quality

Considering the underprinting, I wonder how many more print runs they will do... I still remember Tactics Ogre (GBA) was underprinted, and remained out of stock for half a year before a second run came through, and that was IT! Same with Riviera! OMG.

djkimothy said:
Welkin: You're as pretty as a white winged gull...
Alicia: So I look like a seagull?...

:lol Best side quest story ever.

I can't remember the exact quote but the first encounter of Chapter 8 has a great exchange between Welkin and Alicia.
When you get to the third healing flower and Alicia starts wondering if she could use it in a bread recipe, and Welkin's like 'You're thinking about baking at a time like this' and Alicia responds with 'Whatever, nature boy'. I wish I could take a screen shot because the look on Alicia's face really sells it.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:

Personally I just love the underprinting of the game because of all the people that said, "I will wait until next month when the game is $30 LOLZ."

Take that punks :D

radiantdreamer said:
Considering the underprinting, I wonder how many more print runs they will do... I still remember Tactics Ogre (GBA) was underprinted, and remained out of stock for half a year before a second run came through, and that was IT! Same with Riviera! OMG.

Print runs rely on demand, Phoenix Wright went through 6 print runs.

If Valkyria is not in demand beyond the first shipment, it will be the first and the last print run.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Personally I just love the underprinting of the game because of all the people that said, "I will wait until next month when the game is $30 LOLZ."

Print runs rely on demand, Phoenix Wright went through 6 print runs.

If Valkyria is not in demand beyond the first shipment, it will be the first and the last print run.

:lol

Actually, I wonder how many of those people here on this thread ARE looking for the game right now.

RpgN

AlexM said:
FFS!

/rant

Our freerecordshop has 3 copies of the game and I think it's the only shop who has it here. If there are people finding trouble in getting the game in the Netherlands or Belgium, then I would love to help out. Of course you need to pay for the price of the game and its shipment, but that's it. Let me know if anyone wants the game.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:

That's almost exactly what I posted when the high used prices of the game came up a few pages back. Needless to say, I fully agree :D

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
:lol

Actually, I wonder how many of those people here on this thread ARE looking for the game right now.

I am sure they are kicking themselves in the teeth as they see those mega-million blockbusters on sale for $40-50 online while they see that Valkyria Chronicles has not gone down at all, and has become more rare. It really kind of feels good in its own weird way.

Durante said:
That's almost exactly what I posted when the high used prices of the game came up a few pages back. Needless to say, I fully agree :D

Needless to say, if they have no subsequent print runs, buy some copies so that you can sell it a year from now for $130.

So you guys are saying the game is getting harder and harder to find?

I see it everywhere, all the time. You guys are making me nervous though because I'm waiting until after Christmas to pick it up if my girlfriend doesn't get it for me as a gift.

Actually, it's not a bad idea to just buy a copy of it now, and if the girlfriend does happen to buy a copy for a christmas gift, then you have a copy to sell in 3 months time.

Who knows though, Hcoregamer. Sega isn't Atlus. They might just spit out a million copies at that time.

Hcoregamer00

Dark Octave said:
And with that, the genre all together, as well.

Can you clarify your statement?

It is a little unclear.

radiantdreamer said:
Actually, it's not a bad idea to just buy a copy of it now, and if the girlfriend does happen to buy a copy for a christmas gift, then you have a copy to sell in 3 months time.

Who knows though, Hcoregamer. Sega isn't Atlus. They might just spit out a million copies at that time.

I agree, Sega isn't atlus, but a low print run for a niche game like this isn't a bad idea.

Top Bottom