• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, IMO that mission is poorly made. It would've been OK if there was a way to stop the blue... thing, but since they changed the rules and made her invulnerable it's pretty much inevitable that you're going to fail (or at least permanently loose a team member) the first time through, which really is just bad game design.

It gets better again after that mission though. :p

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that part, even though I made it through with my squad intact (albeit after a few retries). Pushing the player to either refine their strategies or accept their losses isn't bad design. They aren't stingy about giving you a plethora replacement troops.

Turning the statement on its head, why would it be good design if you were able to ace every battle on your first go?

djkimothy

patsu said:
Hah ! I finished it in 1 try. You need to protect your king in an international chess game. Same here with Edelweiss.

Well that's pretty obvious since that's a game ender in any scenario.

I think the only bullshit factor in this game is the "roll of the dice" mechanics with every attack. So many times I would be literally point blank against a target with a scout or the tank and they would miss outright. So many wasted turns cause a tank/lancer unit can't obliterate a target 10 feet away.

djkimothy said:
Well that's pretty obvious since that's a game ender in any scenario.

I think the only bullshit factor in this game is the "roll of the dice" mechanics with every attack. So many times I would be literally point blank against a target with a scout or the tank and they would miss outright. So many wasted turns cause a tank/lancer unit can't obliterate a target 10 feet away.

Missing attacks can seem unfair at first, but as the game develops and you research/find/are awarded better weapons it stops being so much of an issue.

patsu

Yes sir, the lancers s*ck *ss ! I had to position them really close to the behemoth to score a 100% hit. They are better at higher level but Edelweiss is usually more accurate.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
djkimothy said:
So many times I would be literally point blank against a target with a scout or the tank and they would miss outright. So many wasted turns cause a tank/lancer unit can't obliterate a target 10 feet away.

But as your troops level up, the reticule gets smaller (better aim), so that you can actually stand further and further away and still hit them.

djkimothy

El_TigroX said:
But as your troops level up, the reticule gets smaller (better aim), so that you can actually stand further and further away and still hit them.

Yah I know that. But weapon upgrades seem to only be available after finishing a chapter. I've played many skirmishes and all I'm able to do is level up my units. Meanwhile I have a shit load of credits I can't use. I really don't see any immediate benefits of leveling up other than the slight HP bonus and the prospect of the level 11 weapons.

Yes sir, the lancers s*ck *ss ! I had to position them really close to the behemoth to score a 100% hit. They are better at higher level but Edelweiss is usually more accurate.

Yah tell me about it. Of course the mega tank gets free shots at you while you're trying to feel out the optimum distance to attack it with. The knack of staying alive is being able to quickly press circle then ex buttons in quick succession to minimize damage.

kinn

El_TigroX said:
Chapter 11...
I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY KILLED IS! :( :( :( She's probably my fav character in the main cast... man, that was completely unexpected and shocking. :(

I know man! I did not expect this!

This game is amazing. And I'm loving the music the more I hear it.

Personal fav side characters for me are Catherine, Skies of Arcadia crew and the engineer Ramsey (lol dunno why! She just seems so spaced out).

Just curious but since Skies, and before VC, what has this team been doing? And was that woman involved with this game as well? I cant remember her name but she is working on that new DS RPG called 7th Dragon (I think.)

Baha

djkimothy said:
Yah I know that. But weapon upgrades seem to only be available after finishing a chapter. I've played many skirmishes and all I'm able to do is level up my units. Meanwhile I have a shit load of credits I can't use. I really don't see any immediate benefits of leveling up other than the slight HP bonus and the prospect of the level 11 weapons.

Yah tell me about it. Of course the mega tank gets free shots at you while you're trying to feel out the optimum distance to attack it with. The knack of staying alive is being able to quickly press circle then ex buttons in quick succession to minimize damage.

Actually there is a reward of sorts for having 1 million DCT in your possession....
visit the command room when you do

djkimothy

Baha said:
Actually there is a reward of sorts for having 1 million DCT in your possession....
visit the command room when you do

I'm not going to frigging grind 1 000 000 credits. :lol

How is that possible? Unless skirmishes get more rewarding at later stages.

Baha

djkimothy said:

It's possible on Skirmish 6 (I stand corrected) if you beat it in 1 turn a couple of times (scout + orders). Also useful for unlocking the 4th potential for any scouts as well as filling their 2nd personnel paragraph.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
djkimothy said:

All you need to do is to play skirmish 6 twenty times (with an A grade) and you are set :lol

Lofid

Neo Member
djkimothy said:

This is probably my only gripe with the game. Also, if you sneak up behind someone who is crouching, they still get the same defensive bonus of being "covered" by the sandbag.

I'm pretty sure a pointblank shot to the head from behind would kill you whether or not you were crouching.

zurra

djkimothy said:

It's actually insanely easy. You get a ton of money for later missions + skirmishes give good exp. I had around 2 million DCT at one point, then spent 500k on upgrades, and have never had less than 1 million since I broke that barrier. Then again, I did a lot of grinding. Skirmish 7 gives ~110k DCT and you can beat it on the first turn, soooo....

To put all that in perspective, I just started the final chapter and had to do Skirmish 7 4 times to finish getting all my units to max level.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Turning the statement on its head, why would it be good design if you were able to ace every battle on your first go?
Well I'm not saying that you have to ace it, but in that particular mission they upped the difficulty by changing the rules of the game. You can't really use any tactic or plan ahead for that the first time, if you're in the wrong place when it happens you're fucked.

In other missions -- like the first part of mission 7, the one with the jeep or the ones with the mortars -- they make it clear that they're introducing a new element to the combat beforehand and let you adapt your strategy accordingly, if you're good you'll handle it, which is IMO the way it's supposed to be done.

jiggle

waiting to sort out my PS3 warranty thing, but I miss this game already :< i was half way through mission 15 too, i'm thinking of just watching the ending on youtube....

Llyranor

Finally got back into this game after being distracted for the last few days. Just finished chapter 9. Pretty cool scenario, nice design.
Chasing the APC, blocking paths with the tank, and setting up ambushes
was fun stuff.

Llyranor said:
Finally got back into this game after being distracted for the last few days. Just finished chapter 9. Pretty cool scenario, nice design.
Chasing the APC, blocking paths with the tank, and setting up ambushes
was fun stuff.
You can beat that mission in one turn.

Position a scout/engineer/shocktrooper so that they'll be behind the APC when it makes its first move, and use the Demolition Boost order. Shoot the radiator and you're done.
:D

U K Narayan said:

Position a scout/engineer/shocktrooper so that they'll be behind the APC when it makes its first move, and use the Demolition Boost order. Shoot the radiator and you're done.
Yeah I sorta did the same thing, I just hid behind a couple of boxes and shot it in the ass for a full turn.

I also maxed out my scouts at ch. 10, those podcast hours of grinding sure add up. :lol

Defuser

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah I sorta did the same thing, I just hid behind a couple of boxes and shot it in the ass for a full turn.

I also maxed out my scouts at ch. 10, those podcast hours of grinding sure add up. :lol
Train up your snipers to get the penetration order. That order beats the shit out of demolition boost since it works on anything and I mean anything.

Ronin said:
I lost Ted
nooooo,you shouldn't have done that. Ted is the second best choice after Alicia when it comes to base capturing.

zurra

Well, I finished it. Far and away my favorite game on the PS3 right now (took Uncharted off the top, though not by a whole lot) and one heck of a satisfying experience overall. I will remember this game for a long time to come, and can't wait to do those Hard skirmishes. :D

The last two fights felt like total pushovers after Jaeger though, but not in a bad way. They were cool as hell. So many awesome cutscenes, so much awesome Cordelia! And what an ending!
They really need to do something more with this engine. It is definitely my personal favorite until something better (version 2) comes along.

kay

U K Narayan said:

Isn't that 2 turns?

masterkajo

My game should arrive in a day or two. But before I start playing I have small question. I read somewhere that there is a huge spoiler in the opening credits or intro movie or whatever. So how big is it and is it possible to avoid it? I'd love to be totally surprised mid game rather than knowing something beforehand.

glaurung

masterkajo said:
My game should arrive in a day or two. But before I start playing I have small question. I read somewhere that there is a huge spoiler in the opening credits or intro movie or whatever. So how big is it and is it possible to avoid it? I'd love to be totally surprised mid game rather than knowing something beforehand.

Just tap START to skip the opening credits.

Problem solved.

masterkajo said:

The attract cinema is pretty spoilerific, but it is easily avoidable. After the opening company logos, the screen goes white and it starts to pencil in a scene with Welkin and Alicia on a tank. Pressing start at that point will skip past all the spoiler stuff and take you to the main menu, just don't linger starting/loading your game or it'll start playing again.

RpgN

masterkajo said:

Many members here say there is, but I didn't notice any. I just watched it once and never looked back. You can definitely skip it if you want to make sure.

djkimothy

gutter_trash said:
this game is impossible to find in Montreal,
any Canadians having trouble finding a copy anywhere?

I found it difficult to find as well. I just happened to luck out at Futureshop.

Finally started playing this after having it for a couple of weeks, because LBP + RR7 are so very good.

Anyway, long story short, Valkyria Chronicles is pretty damn amazing. Only just beat beat Chapter 2 so far.

I feel like hunting down a copy of Ring Of Red now.

Egg Shen

U K Narayan said:
OST is great stuff. Been listening to "Main Fight", "Street Fight", "******** Awakening", and "Succeeded Wish". It's too bad that the English version of "Wish" isn't offered as a separate download. I thought Hedy Burress did an incredible a job with her solo (please pass a tissue...).

Llyranor

gutter_trash said:
this game is impossible to find in Montreal,
any Canadians having trouble finding a copy anywhere?
Heh, I never saw it in Montreal, either. Saw one in Toronto at one point. Glad I bought online.

Durante

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, IMO that mission is poorly made. It would've been OK if there was a way to stop the blue... thing, but since they changed the rules and made her invulnerable it's pretty much inevitable that you're going to fail (or at least permanently loose a team member) the first time through, which really is just bad game design.
I disagree. It's not at all inevitable that you fail or permanently use a team member. I played the mission before most people even had the game (so no warning etc.), had somewhat underleveled characters, didn't even know how to use orders effectively and still managed to clear it on my first try. It was *hard*, and a really close call, but very rewarding.

masterkajo said:

I watched the whole intro when I got the game. But I've forgotten pretty much everything except for one thing, which I'm sure everyone has seen before anyway
The girl with blue hair has a giant weapon
. I don't remember anything else at all.

Baha

Durante said:
I disagree. It's not at all inevitable that you fail or permanently use a team member. I played the mission before most people even had the game (so no warning etc.), had somewhat underleveled characters, didn't even know how to use orders effectively and still managed to clear it on my first try. It was *hard*, and a really close call, but very rewarding.

This. I beat it without losing anyone to selveria. If she's guarding the radiator on the left side of the Batomy then it's easy to use the rock walls for cover when making a dash for the ladder. You could even use the edelweiss as cover since she won't attack it.

There is a big spoiler in the intro, but if you're not far into the game, you can't really tell. I watched the intro probably 10x (because the art and the music are so beautiful) and was not able to tell/didn't realize what the spoiler was until I was half way through the game

patsu

Stayed up to beat Chapter 15 - 17 ! ^_^

Selvaria was the toughest boss. Had to reload many times. I will remember this game for a long time to come.

I just beat 17 last night. Every battle that comes up is so intimidating! I see the map layout and everytime I say to myself, "Fuck! How the hell are you supposed to do this?!" I end up trying to rush the target for a quick win and always fail. Then when I finally sit down and play strategically, I get it on my first strategic attempt.

for example, chapter 17 battle:
I used a smoke round and rushed a lancer to the enemy tank. On turn 2 I was behind it and felt so cocky that I was going to get a cheap win, but while I was aiming I realized the catch, the radiator is not exposed! I shit myself, my lancer got killed, and since I thought I was gonna win I had the Edelweiss in a terrible position and got blasted, lol

I love this game

The last 2 chapter 18 battles are no where near as tough as the chapter 15 & 17 battles.

You just get the satisfaction of
beating down Maximillian with the power of friendship and teamwork.

masterkajo

Gryphter said:
There is a big spoiler in the intro, but if you're not far into the game, you can't really tell. I watched the intro probably 10x (because the art and the music are so beautiful) and was not able to tell/didn't realize what the spoiler was until I was half way through the game

Was you supposed to realize the spoiler at that moment or did you just find out because of something and than later on in the game you got to the spoiler (which you already figured out beforehand).
Or is it save to watch the intro and not think much about it until you are totally surprised by the spoiler and think, man I actually saw this in the intro but I still totally didn't see that coming...

Boy, do I have problems... thinking about watching an intro movie of a game or not when I should study for my exams in two days so I can then concentrate on the game itself... :D

EDIT:
Another quick question. I did play the demo and there I watched the whole intro movie. Is this intro movie the very same as in the full version... meaning did I already see the spoiler? (Because if so, I don't have a clue what it could be... and I played the demo like 20 times).

Top Bottom