• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

zurra

The spoiler in the intro is only huge if you look really closely/overanalyze. If you're watching it casually without thinking about it more than you should, I doubt you'd even notice.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
patsu said:
Stayed up to beat Chapter 15 - 17 ! ^_^

Selvaria was the toughest boss. Had to reload many times. I will remember this game for a long time to come.

Of course she was deadly, Selvaria was a scout class with a massive machine gun that was as accurate as a sniper rifle.

She would have been a great ally, had Sega not killed her off so stupidly

Egg Shen

Baha said:
This. I beat it without losing anyone to selveria. If she's guarding the radiator on the left side of the Batomy then it's easy to use the rock walls for cover when making a dash for the ladder. You could even use the edelweiss as cover since she won't attack it.
Well, it's not that she won't attack it, but her attacks (despite the OMG sequence where she lays into the Gallian army without mercy) have no effect on the Edelweiss making it a perfect blocking tool for your troops to hide behind. That's what I pretty much used it for with one of my lancers and an engineer keeping close to it. I didn't lose anyone to Selvaria, either, but I managed to get most of my people under cover and take out to the Batomy. Almost lost Rosie, though...had her up on top of the hill to take out the soldiers using it as a vantage/sniping position when she suddenly showed up with friends.

masterkajo said:
EDIT:
Another quick question. I did play the demo and there I watched the whole intro movie. Is this intro movie the very same as in the full version... meaning did I already see the spoiler? (Because if so, I don't have a clue what it could be... and I played the demo like 20 times).
I'm not sure, I didn't see a video with my demo, although I caught the movie online prior to release. I didn't think it was as big of a deal as some are making out. I thought the plot had its surprises but few that anyone, especially those that have watched any anime, won't be able to figure out on their own
I was still trying to second guess whether or not Ellet was secretly a Darcsen because of her eyes, but the Princess' revelation was something of a shock...nice fake there, Sega ;)
. It was still an incredible sequence, though. Seeing it in the context of where it happens was even better than in simply knowing one part of it.

Lofid

Neo Member
Just finished chapter 16. Did anyone else get pissed off at their rating?
I got a D, so I can only assume a faster way to beat the level is to NOT shoot some of the ragnite blocking the tank's way. How would anyone know this playing it the first time through? I figured that monster would just crush me if I didn't shoot all the ragnites. Still an amazing game, just a lame way imho to grade that level.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lofid said:
Just finished chapter 16. Did anyone else get pissed off at their rating?
I got a D, so I can only assume a faster way to beat the level is to NOT shoot some of the ragnite blocking the tank's way. How would anyone know this playing it the first time through? I figured that monster would just crush me if I didn't shoot all the ragnites. Still an amazing game, just a lame way imho to grade that level.

Haha..yeah.. same thing happened to me on that level. About halfway through I thought to myself that I'm probably delaying how many turns it takes to beat this level by doing that. I thought about reloading but meh, that's what new game+ is for. Unless you're going for A's in your first run, don't sweat it too much. There are definitely a few vague spots throughout a lot of the missions but that's what makes the game fun, it doesn't always hold your hand.

patsu

Since the scenario called for speed, I only picked 6 soldiers (out of 8 slots).
That's 2 tanks, 3 scouts and 1 engineer.

They travelled so fast that I had to wait 3 turns at the end point for Mamota to catch up. I only got a B I think

patsu said:
Since the scenario called for speed, I only picked 6 soldiers (out of 8 slots).
That's 2 tanks, 3 scouts and 1 engineer.

They travelled so fast that I had to wait 3 turns at the end point for Mamota to catch up. I only got a B I think

I just went for a Scout (Alicia for the CP) and an engineer. I moved the foot guys once per turn, then each tank once, then one of the tanks a 2nd time. Generally I gave the Eidelweiss an extra turn for 2 moves, then the Shamrock for 1 turn because it has more AP.

Defuser

Die Squirrel Die said:
I just went for a Scout (Alicia for the CP) and an engineer. I moved the foot guys once per turn, then each tank once, then one of the tanks a 2nd time. Generally I gave the Eidelweiss an extra turn for 2 moves, then the Shamrock for 1 turn because it has more AP.
How about you just ditch the Shamrock instead? You can completed the mission faster.

Defuser said:
How about you just ditch the Shamrock instead? You can completed the mission faster.

But Waka. :(

And I wasn't exactly hurting for time. Once the Marmota actually took a move I realised that outrunning it wouldn't be too difficult.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
later side mission (unlocked after Ch 15):
Faldio: "Leaving a lady to bleed would go against my gentleman's morals." OH BUT SHOOTING HER IS COOL?! I love this little after the thought irony...

El_TigroX said:
later side mission (unlocked after Ch 15):
Faldio: "Leaving a lady to bleed would go against my gentleman's morals." OH BUT SHOOTING HER IS COOL?! I love this little after the thought irony...

He shoots her after figuring out she also a Valkyrur. His scholarly curiosity and desire to protect his homeland blinds him to seeing her as a person. Okay not exactly ethical, but it's more 'I'm shooting her because she is a descendant of a god-like race of near infinite power', not 'hey I'll shoot her, why the hell not'?

I'm probably just going to have to keep leveling my lancers until I get to the Elites... I just can't beat Chapter 7. Why did they design such a stupidly hard level?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
He shoots her after figuring out she also a Valkyrur. His scholarly curiosity and desire to protect his homeland blinds him to seeing her as a person. Okay not exactly ethical, but it's more 'I'm shooting her because she is a descendant of a god-like race of near infinite power', not 'hey I'll shoot her, why the hell not'?

Oh I know... I just thought it was rather funny irony and an interesting way to do a "flashback" of sorts when the events have already transpired.

Defuser

Aurean_Mentat said:
I'm probably just going to have to keep leveling my lancers until I get to the Elites... I just can't beat Chapter 7. Why did they design such a stupidly hard level?
Hard? Wait till you try hard skirmishes.

kay

Aurean_Mentat said:
Use the tank, sure it takes twice the cp but you have a better chance of hitting and you can't get hurt. All the turrets don't really need to be taken out anyways.

jiggle

Aurean_Mentat said:

Something worth trying. you don't need high level jobs for this
on first turn, move a shocktrooper to the NE and take out every single guys there. End this job's turns by leaving it behind that rock bridge at the top most screen. The Midway Surprise will completely over look this character, as well as her cronies.

Another shocktrooper should get to the middle camp, occupy it, and retreat.

Spend the rest of the CP and turns taking out canons (i cheated and save before each Lancer fires, so i get 100% success...). I put 2 lancers + 1engineer on both sides of the tank.

You should be moving your characters (cept that lone shocktrooper) slowly towards the SW flag. 1 turn before the big surprise, start having EVERYONE retreat (or hide behind the big tank).

SElvaria and her cronies will charge towards the tank (ignoring your shocktrooper), but they can't do much against ppl hiding behind the tank (giving you 1 more turn to retreat everyone else).

With everyone retreated, have your lone shocktrooper run behind the enemy's lancers and get rid of it (can also take out a few of the other jobs). With the lancer gone, find a safe place to hide this shocktrooper or retreat him/her.

Without the lancer to worry about, your Edelweiss will be pretty much invincible for the rest of the battle. Selvaria can't damage you at all and you can pick off whatever jobs that are left while waiting for the opportunity to strike that tank.

Save often and u should be able to win with no permadeath :D

kay said:
Use the tank, sure it takes twice the cp but you have a better chance of hitting and you can't get hurt. All the turrets don't really need to be taken out anyways.

Just to add to that, I only took out the two on the left side and the back one on my first playthrough. As long as you have an angle that you approach from and hug the side of the tank the turrets are manageable.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wow I played through this game before I read anything about it on message boards and had no idea so many people had trouble with mission 7. I got through it on my first try ever with no deaths and never in-game saved, though I remember it taking about an hour and some. If anything, mission 17 is the one that can be a headache, I did save after every turn on that one. I'm a pretty big SRPG/rts fan so I wonder if that kind of experience really does help with this new style of SRPG. I kind of feel proud of myself all of a sudden. :lol

JEKKI

hey-o!!!

so last nite I beat another chapter, saved my game, and decided to visit the old man before turning off my ps3,

he offered me a new command... I forgot what it was called, but it supposed to bring out the potential in your soldiers...

is that ability worth it? what does it do and how would is help me in missions that I cant do with other orders?

jiggle

JEKKI said:
hey-o!!!

so last nite I beat another chapter, saved my game, and decided to visit the old man before turning off my ps3,

he offered me a new command... I forgot what it was called, but it supposed to bring out the potential in your soldiers...

is that ability worth it? what does it do and how would is help me in missions that I cant do with other orders?

YES YES YES
awaken potential is one of the best Order in the game!

Awaken potential dramatically increases the chance of your character's potential kicking in. One use lasts for the entire turn, regardless how many times you used the character.

Farnack

Banned
JEKKI said:
hey-o!!!

Awaken Potential is like rape. It's like 99% to activate potentials. XD

kay

http://www.valkyria-anime.com/index.html
Oh OH

Character design looks odd.
main_r_01.jpg

Just noticed this:

©SEGA / PROJECT VALKYRIA

The last part sounds like there will be more coming from them. Never seen that used before.

JEKKI

what good are potentials do??

I am on chapter 12 now... every time a potential comes up I never really know what's going on... as long as I can shoot ppl and not die then I'm happy...

that's why I always jus use defense increase and attack increase commands... when u use that u can kill like hella group of enemies with only one dood.

jiggle

JEKKI said:
what good are potentials do??

I am on chapter 12 now... every time a potential comes up I never really know what's going on... as long as I can shoot ppl and not die then I'm happy...

that's why I always jus use defense increase and attack increase commands... when u use that u can kill like hella group of enemies with only one dood.

all the characters have different potentials. For example, Alicia can resist crossfire (lowering damage), double movement (recharges your movement bar to full), increase the effects of cure, and makes her shots undodgeable. Some character has potential that auto cure them to 100%. etc etc. They are hella useful!

Their occurances are too random to be dependent on. Unless you have Awaken Potential :D

Gagaman

Couldn't they just re-create the ghli-like art style of the game? Looks like every generic anime from the last five years, all digital and flat =/

deepbrown

I lost three people in one battle :( The little feminine guy died :( I couldn't get to my snipers to save them. And when I won the battle, I couldn't be bothered to start again >_< :'(

beat the game last night

my 18-1 strategy
this one was easy, once I finally noticed the radiators behind the front propellers. I kept running past them with the camera behind me, so I didn't even see the blue glow until my 3rd or 4th attempt. I was so puzzled as to what to do once I climbed up onto the Marmota. After I saw them, I was able to beat the battle. I had a lancer up top and an engineer right next to him, and just fired away til it was over, A rank, 5 turns.

my 18-2 strategy
This one took me a few tries because I either had the wrong type of troops in battle, or he would destroy the Edelweiss. Once I got my strategy down, I stationed a lancer at each of the center armored towers, had a sniper focusing on the far tower, and kept a shocktrooper near the south towers. After disabling whatever 3 he was using, I sent 2 shocktroopers and flamethrowered his ass for a turn 3 victory, A rank.

my impression on the ending
It was nice, I don't think it was rushed, but the game was shorter than I wanted. Finished the game in 40 hours. I can't accept the fact that they jumped onto the plane from the Marmota, too unbelievable for me... my only real complaint. As for the rest of it, wonderful. I like how they gave an update on what everyone went on to do with their lives, but I kind of wish they left things a little more open in case they ever decide to make a sequel. Faldio really didn't have to sacrifice himself, but I think there was more of an impact this way. It was nice to see that all my troops were alive during the credits, I didn't let anyone die.

Paracelsus

Chapter 7 wasn't nearly as hard as Chapter 14 second part of the battle, imho.
to bring a lancer to the upper left corner of the map without being sniped or being hit by missiles, sneak behind the Dromedarius, and strike as much as I could with Demolition Boost was really tough, took me a few tries. The damn "flame mortar" kept firing always on my base, so I really couldn't keep a single man alive.
. First C rank after a few A ranks, moreover. >_>

Oh, btw

The Shamrock (Zaka) destroyed counts as a loss in the final death count?

Chapter 14 is the one with the train? If so, I agree with you Paracelsus.
I had trouble at the end of the bridge, where the elevator switches are since there's a spawn point nearby. I couldn't down that spawn point bridge too quickly so I got rocked in that area for a while. When I got to the end, I only had the Edelweiss at the firing point which can't aim low, so I had to use a mortar which dropped low enough to trigger the bomb. 17 turn victory for me, ouch!

the answer to your 2nd question, no. If any of the main characters die, you'll see that they actually "retreat" from battle, so no, it doesn't count.

patsu

Chapter 18-1.
How do you get Welkin to shoot at the Valkur ? His aim is too low and when I went up the ramp between the turrets it only managed to hit the bottom part of the tip. It also didn't affect the health bar of the Valkur :(

Baha

patsu said:
Chapter 18-1.
How do you get Welkin to shoot at the Valkur ? His aim is too low and when I went up the ramp between the turrets it only managed to hit the bottom part of the tip. It also didn't affect the health bar of the Valkur :(

You don't? I destroyed it using a lancer with awaken potential. Also, you have to destroy two shield radiators below the Valkur before it's vulnerable.

Top Bottom