• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Aw man you guys neglected Shamrock? That dude can take out groups with ease with the flamethrower, even if they're kneeling behind sandbags. Whenever I see a bunch of idiots bunched togther I break out the Shamrock.

DYING TIME

You know, it's interesting... Valkyria Chronicles seriously reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics in atmosphere for some reason...

When I visualize Valkyria Chronicles in my head, all I can hear is FFT music.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I just read the Valkyria Chronicles manga that was released in Japan.

Boy does it suck.

You know something is wrong when the underwhelming style of the upcoming anime looks better than that.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
radiantdreamer said:
You know, it's interesting... Valkyria Chronicles seriously reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics in atmosphere for some reason...

I mentioned that way earlier in this thread... I described this game to someone as a big evolution in what Tactics was trying to do and SRPGs in general.

The whole tone and music feels VERY FF T to me.

The tone definitely, but I don't know about it being a "evolution" of what Tactics was "trying" to be. It's a whole different ballgame in my opinion.

FFT is it's own thing that's quite different from VC.

I'd say Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter or Phantom Brave is trying to be VC in that regards.

Edit: no wait. Hoshigami. Recruiting, multiple turns based on some sort of action bar, yup.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
radiantdreamer said:
The tone definitely, but I don't know about it being a "evolution" of what Tactics was "trying" to be. It's a whole different ballgame in my opinion.

FFT is it's own thing that's quite different from VC.

I'd say Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter or Phantom Brave is trying to be VC in that regards.

Edit: no wait. Hoshigami. Recruiting, multiple turns based on some sort of action bar, yup.

I guess I way overgeneralized. I meant just the grid based SRPGs in general. I feel that this is a big evolution on multi-unit battlefield combat.

Hoshigami... don't remind me... shudder... that game was TOO hardcore for me.

El_TigroX said:
Hoshigami... don't remind me... shudder... that game was TOO hardcore for me.

lol yeah. I gave up after a stupid soldier killed one of my mains in one turn. (that was, what an hour and a half into the game?)

Baha

radiantdreamer said:

Same composer for both games so it shouldn't come as a surprise :D

Lilsnubby

Gryphter said:
Did anyone else just neglect the Shamrock for the entire game? I was using it at first, but then just said to hell with it and usually just left it at the starting point, not caring if it gets killed. Weaker weaponry, 2 CP, no smoke rounds... no thanks

The Shamrock with fully powered flamethrower is great for mission 15 Selvaria

Baha said:
Same composer for both games so it shouldn't come as a surprise :D

REALLY? My mind has been blown. And I am eternally happy.

lilsnubby:
inframan.jpg

... China Super Man?

Durante

Lilsnubby said:
The Shamrock with fully powered flamethrower is great for mission 15 Selvaria
I've never once used the flamethrower, maybe I should. But then how do I 1-shot tanks? The Edelweiss and lancers are sooo slooow.

Just got it, and I echo the sentiments of everyone who digs it - this is great stuff. Do the ranks you get for each mission affect anything down the line aside from exp.?

Lofid

Neo Member
LiveFromKyoto said:
Just got it, and I echo the sentiments of everyone who digs it - this is great stuff. Do the ranks you get for each mission affect anything down the line aside from exp.?

Just experience and money.

Oddly, the worse you do the harder the game is. Haha.

EDIT: Higher ranks may or may not grant you new weapons as gifts. I'm not sure if it was connected to rank or not.

AlexM

ok i have now tried about 7 stores

-HMV
-Futureshop
-BestBuy
-London Drugs
-London Drugs #2
-The local buy and sell (they have new games)
-Ebgames
-amazon.ca

This is one of the most hard to find games I've ever tried to find

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AlexM said:

-HMV
-Futureshop
-BestBuy
-London Drugs
-London Drugs #2
-Ebgames
-amazon.ca

Wow, it looks like shortages are abound in Canada.

Spike

AlexM said:

-HMV
-Futureshop
-BestBuy
-London Drugs
-London Drugs #2
-Ebgames
-amazon.ca

Actually, it's not that hard if you look in the right places.

- Blockbuster Video- I've been to 3 different stores in the last few days and each have had 2-3 copies for sale
- Rogers Video
- VideoGamesPlus.ca - website says backorder, but try calling the store

Big-E

I am glad I ordered it through videogamesplus when I did. For any limited released your only real option is with them.

AlexM

Spike said:
Actually, it's not that hard if you look in the right places.

- Blockbuster Video- I've been to 3 different stores in the last few days and each have had 2-3 copies for sale
- Rogers Video
- VideoGamesPlus.ca - website says backorder, but try calling the store

I had no idea rogers and blockbuster sold games! Thanks very much for the info :D :D :D

I dont think there are any videogamesplus in the west coast, I've never even heard fo that chain

Aldramelk

Neo Member
Durante said:
I've never once used the flamethrower, maybe I should. But then how do I 1-shot tanks? The Edelweiss and lancers are sooo slooow.

The Shamrock is awesome, in fact I think it's better than the Edelweiss. In later stages, the Edelweiss can't take out more than one target at a time for 2CP (if even one) while the Shamrock flamethrower can take multiple targets for 2CP, even in cover.

For rapid tank destruction you can use demolition orders + shocktroppers targeting the radiator. Alternatively, awaken potential with certain lancers can do the trick from the front too.

I beat this a few weeks ago, game was awesome, did the classic stuff great and stayed fresh till the end. It's up there with Dead Space for game of the year for me.

My criticisms: the ranking system rewards speed only which frustrates more drawn out strategies; snipers are uselessly random until you upgrade them, deployment is a total crapshoot + the movement system meant I usually only deployed the commander units. Still a great game.

Spike

AlexM said:
I had no idea rogers and blockbuster sold games! Thanks very much for the info :D :D :D

I dont think there are any videogamesplus in the west coast, I've never even heard fo that chain

Ah, you're in the west. For limited stuff, order from vgp.ca. They usually get their games 1-2 days before anywhere else, except in the case of Valkyria Chronicles where they had it a full week before, and you'll have it the same day EB gets their copies in.

Still, try Blockbuster first. I'm sure you'll find it there.

Gekko87

dudeguy24 said:
So guys, I bought this game purely on the hype that I've seen in this thread. However, before I open the sealed game (and voiding my chance to return it), can anyone tell me what game this is most similar to? Or is it just super totally original/awesome?
why don't you just try out the demo?

I beat it with 55 hours on the clock. I left the last two skirmishes for a future play-through.

I maxed out the levels of my troops and developed every weapon before the final battle.

I thought the ending was nice. Although, I'm kind of disappointed that
they didn't have post-war stories for every Squad 7 troop. I was a bit surprised that this didn't happen, because Skies of Arcadia did it for every crew member of the Delphinus.

I want a sequel with
Jaeger, detailing how he liberates Fhirald

Also, this is my game of the year. I would probably pick Persona 4, but I'm unable to play it. :(

I wasn't expecting to return to this thread after I beat it, but I can't resist!

So who is everyone's favorite recruit? Doesn't matter why, it can be personality, skills, or even a specific thing that they did for you in battle

I have many favorites, but I think my overall is Jane. I love how hateful she is and it's hilarious when you read her reason as to why. Plus I have a friend in real life who reminds me of her, not just looks but her voice as well

Baha

U K Narayan said:
I beat it with 55 hours on the clock. I left the last two skirmishes for a future play-through.

I maxed out the levels of my troops and developed every weapon before the final battle.

I thought the ending was nice. Although, I'm kind of disappointed that
they didn't have post-war stories for every Squad 7 troop. I was a bit surprised that this didn't happen, because Skies of Arcadia did it for every crew member of the Delphinus.

I want a sequel with
Jaeger, detailing how he liberates Fhirald

Also, this is my game of the year. I would probably pick Persona 4, but I'm unable to play it. :(

Did you have the 2nd paragraph for every troop in your squad under personnel? It won't fill in their 3rd paragraph detailing their post-war ending if you didn't have their 2nd paragraph filled in. You can fill it in by having them capture a base (2nd skirmish for troopers/engies/snipers/lancers or 6th skirmish for scouts) or killing enemy commanders or rescuing downed allies.

Paracelsus

RpgN said:
Exactly the same first month like ToV (difference like 1-2k). I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

With the difference Vesperia had 5-6 days worth of sales, Valkyria got released the 14th, so it had more than a couple weeks.

No, that doesn't bode well at all for HD Jrpgs. Useless effort.

I just hope next gen portable console both have at least 128 graphics. -.-

RpgN

Paracelsus said:
With the difference Vesperia had 5-6 days worth of sales, Valkyria got released the 14th, so it had more than a couple weeks.

Didn't it release at 26th of August? Until which day do they count? I always thought the 10th-14th...

And honestly what did you expect from VC?

Volcynika

Paracelsus said:

Actually, Valkyria was bumped up a week, so it hit the 4th, at least in the US. Which is pretty much a full month. :/

Baha

Let's hope that it shows signs of legs, however small they may be, for December's NPD. I knew it wasn't going to chart but at the very least I have hopes that it'll be a slow burn for months to come.

Wollan

I think it burned them a bit not having trophies when every other game had it.
I didn't pick up Fallout 3 and Valkyria because both games are promised a trophy patch and I'm awaiting those before I invest. I'm not in a hurry. I don't have a problem playing a game without trophies (Siren Blood Curse is probably my goty) but I can wait when I know it's coming. My current stance with SF2 HD as well atm.

Spike

XiaNaphryz said:
I wonder if Sega may reconsider a 360 port to get more sales if Dec/Jan doesn't go too well.

This game should have been on all three platforms. I know that a Wii version would have taken a hit on the graphics side, but stylistically, it would have held up.

Everyone should have access to this game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wollan said:
I think it burned them a bit not having trophies when every other game had it.
I didn't pick up Fallout 3 and Valkyria because both games are promised a trophy patch and I'm awaiting those before I invest. I'm not in a hurry. I don't have a problem playing a game without trophies (Siren Blood Curse is probably my goty) but I can wait when I know it's coming. My current stance with SF2 HD as well atm.
When was Valkryia promised trophies?
They only said it was a possibility, and on the American blog.

I only expect trophies when the dev actually says, "trophy patch coming'.

Volcynika

I really want to see where they "promised" trophies. Because, while it doesn't matter to me, I've never seen confirmation of trophies anywhere.

zoku88

Wow, that does kinda suck :lol

First DQIV doesn't sell that much, then this. I'm starting to think that my fellow American gamers just don't have taste.

Top Bottom