• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Shadow780 said:
and convinced three other friends to get it too, only way I can think of to show appreciation, really.

BUY BUY BUY!!

There should be a topic started JUST for that, with nothing but "keep bumped!"

That will probably get people banned though. :p

Hazaro said:
I'll buy it once it's $20

:[

Should of released in Feb.

I paid $70 for it and would do so again in an instant. It's better than just about every so-called 'AAA' holiday release this year. It's been criminally ignored by the gaming media - Fallout 3 is the only rpg released this year in the same class, yet that got 100x the attention.

Tideas

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Quick question; will purchasing the game off of Gamefly count towards sales?
here's a hint. companies see a lot more data than what NPD gives gaf.

Purchasing games off of anywhere will count toward internal company sales data, which is ALL that matters.

As long as the game is new on gamefly and not used, it will count.

Issun23

Started playing the game properly today after finishing Resistance 2.

:O

I'm really surprised about many things. How much different characters are. How good the story is so far. The way so much detail went into the creation of the history and lore of the game's world.

Might be the best RPG I've played. And that's including Suikoden, which is like RPG heaven to me. :D

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
CO_Andy said:
If Valkyria's doing so bad in sales how come it's not $10 like Golden Axe: Beast Rider?

Price collapses like that happen when supply far outstrips demand. So Sega ships lots of copies of Golden Axe to retailers then hardly anyone buys them, so the retailers start marking the price down to shift units and free up shelf and/or warehouse space.

With Valkyria Chronicles Sega probably had much more modest expectations. They send a small initial shipment to retailers, few people buy them, but there aren't many copies taking up space remaining. Retailers maintain the price until the remainder of the initial shipment sells through. Demand beyond the first shipment must then be fulfilled by the secondary market or, more rarely, a second print run.

ezekial45

Banned
Tideas said:
here's a hint. companies see a lot more data than what NPD gives gaf.

Purchasing games off of anywhere will count toward internal company sales data, which is ALL that matters.

As long as the game is new on gamefly and not used, it will count.

I'm considering purchasing my rental copy, btw.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I received this as a birthday gift. The wait was absolutely terrifying. Obscure JRPG doomed to poor sales, I was afraid she’d disappear before I was able to grab a copy. I’m forbidden to buy things for myself after Thanksgiving and all was left to chance.
It's Panzer Dragoon Saga all over again.

LCfiner

So I ended up buying this game the other day. Spent around 8 hours playing it today.

I have to admit, the first couple hours were pretty slow and a tough sell (lots of cinemas with voice acting that doesn't impress)

But now i'm right in the thick of it. I just finished the chapter 7 battle in the dessert (huge ass tank). I was pretty happy with how that turned out. Got a B and finished it on the first try. :)

The battles really are addictive. I looove how I can reuse a unit several times in one player phase. On some occasions, it's really fun just to spam the tank on the Imps.

Anyway it's a great game. I hope it doesn't get so hard that I can't finish it (I usually suck ass at strat RPGs). The voice acting and cutscenes are growing on me, so that should help me push on in the tough spots.

I'll probably end up finishing the story mode by the end of this week.

Gibbo

Is this game 5.1 surround? Seems that it is only for the cutscenes? During battles, HQ; sound only seems to come out of my front two speakers

polyh3dron said:
I'll agree with that. Getting it trampled over in the usual rush of November games didn't help.

As for the "no really, JRPGs are over in the US" crowd: want to go out on a limb and predict US sales failure for Final Fantasy whenever it actually gets released? IMO it'll do just as well as it's done in the past. In any case, I'm not really a big RPG fan and I love this game, so even if that were the case I'm not sure the argument applies.

Finally, please don't say "it was advertised in videogame magazines" as supposed proof that this game was well publicized. I don't know how much reach you think vg mags (hell, print media in general) have these days, but buying a print ad is a bit like blasting a loudspeaker in a vacuum at this point.

Die Squirrel Die said:
You have to aim a smoke round just in the right spot so that it cover the LoS of the two mounted machine guns on the west side of the bridge, and the fronts of the two tanks at the base. Have an engineer quickly run into the smoke, but then very slowly move forward, looking for mines to disarm. Once they get to the otherside wait in the smoke. Then send a lancer through the same path as the engineer, which should now be mine free. Run the lancer behind the tanks and hit their radiators. I'd recommend going for the south tank first, and running around its south side. I tried hitting the radiator from north of its position but it was protected by the wall.

You can just use a lancer to run all over and set off all the mines, they take insignificant amounts of damage from them.

patsu

Paznos said:
Just started Chapter 17 but don't want the game to end getting closer and closer to the end :( sigh........

I know that feeling. This is why I am still @ Chapter 18-1 after one week. I am looking for excuses not to finish the game. ^_^ (Bought and watched "The Dark Knight", played SingStar ABBA, wasted tons of time in Home, blah).

Hazaro said:
I'll buy it once it's $20

:[

Should of released in Feb.

YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

radiantdreamer said:
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Fixed.

I think it's amazing that apparently nobody bought this and yet this thread is considerably larger than the NPD one.

Gibbo

Gibbo said:
Is this game 5.1 surround? Seems that it is only for the cutscenes? During battles, HQ; sound only seems to come out of my front two speakers

Any can provide the answer for the above?

I just completed Mission 7... and I did it without much difficulty; though I can see how one could run into trouble

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
LiveFromKyoto said:
I paid $70 for it and would do so again in an instant. It's better than just about every so-called 'AAA' holiday release this year. It's been criminally ignored by the gaming media - Fallout 3 is the only rpg released this year in the same class, yet that got 100x the attention.
Really?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
LiveFromKyoto said:
Fixed.

I think it's amazing that apparently nobody bought this and yet this thread is considerably larger than the NPD one.

There really is no correlation with the lively discussion of a game and the sales of it.

This thread is half the size of the Resistance 2 thread, but it sold 1/12th the copies.

Darkpen

Banned
So guys, I posted this in the Mirror's Edge thread, but I'm thinking of either getting VC or ME, after returning my unopened copy of LBP. How many hours does VC take, and any idea when they're going to start releasing the DLC?

I really loved the demo, and the music is awesome, but I'm just skeptical about which new IP I should check out and support. I hope I'll be able to get both games during the holiday, but I'm just not sure.

Durante

Darkpen said:
So guys, I posted this in the Mirror's Edge thread, but I'm thinking of either getting VC or ME, after returning my unopened copy of LBP. How many hours does VC take, and any idea when they're going to start releasing the DLC?
20-35+ depending on how thorough you are, DLC will start releasing in early 09.

And I'm late.

Darkpen said:

I really loved the demo, and the music is awesome, but I'm just skeptical about which new IP I should check out and support. I hope I'll be able to get both games during the holiday, but I'm just not sure.
Why are you returning LittleBigPlanet? That game deserves sales as much as Mirror's Edge or Valkyria Chronicles.

Anyway, between ME and VC, I would choose VC. ME is going to get a sequel, and it's unlikely that VC ever will. When you play VC, you really get the feeling that it was a labor of love for the developers. (A feeling that I always got whenever I played something by Clover Studio.)

I'm in the minority of time completion, as the game took me around 57 hours to complete. The average completion over here is probably 30-33 hours.

The DLC, I imagine, will be coming out later, next year.

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Why are you returning LittleBigPlanet? That game deserves sales as much as Mirror's Edge or Valkyria Chronicles.

Anyway, between ME and VC, I would choose VC. ME is going to get a sequel, and it's unlikely that VC ever will. When you play VC, you really get the feeling that it was a labor of love for the developers. (A feeling that I always got whenever I played something by Clover Studio.)

I'm in the minority of time completion, as the game took me around 57 hours to complete. The average completion over here is probably 30-33 hours.

The DLC, I imagine, will be coming out later, next year.
yeah, I know, but Prince of Persia certainly didn't feel like it was worth $60, so someone's trading their fairly unused copy of LBP w/ me for PoP. But my rationale is that LBP will sell as a slow burn; there's no way Sony is going to drop LBP.

But yeah, that sounds about right. I'm looking for an RPG anyways. Thanks.

Baha

Darkpen said:

VC is 25-40 hrs of gameplay. ME is considerably shorter than that at 5-8 hrs or less. As for DLC, VC is getting dlc in Jan or Feb and ME is getting time trial dlc soon. I would go for VC since it's story and presentation are better imo but it all comes down to what you want to play most. They both have a demo so try them both and see what you like better.

Darkpen

Banned
Baha said:
VC is 25-40 hrs of gameplay. ME is considerably shorter than that at 5-8 hrs or less. As for DLC, VC is getting dlc in Jan or Feb and ME is getting time trial dlc soon. I would go for VC since it's story and presentation are better imo but it all omes down to what you want to play most. They both have a demo so try them both and see what you like better.
I loved both! and I'm split between which to get! I'll just get VC, and hopefully I get ME as a gift or something (my birthday is this Friday).

djkimothy

Darkpen said:
I loved both! and I'm split between which to get! I'll just get VC, and hopefully I get ME as a gift or something (my birthday is this Friday).

The way I see it, ME will eventually get cheap through platinum series or whatever it's called, and will be readily available. VC is hard enough as it is to find, if you wait on VC it might be harder to find. Who knows though...

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This last battle is ridiculous and not fun... The ONLY thing to
hit on those freaking towers is that small spot? Really? So my tank, by shooting the bottom, can't impact the top? What the balls is that? I'm level 15... everyone has great weapons... but this is just ridiculous

I guess I need to skirmish more... blah.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
U K Narayan said:
So if someone doesn't like a game for one reason or another, they shouldn't return it because other people like it? What?

zoku88

El_TigroX said:
hit on those freaking towers is that small spot? Really? So my tank, by shooting the bottom, can't impact the top? What the balls is that? I'm level 15... everyone has great weapons... but this is just ridiculous

Don't use your tanks. Use your lancers for
towers far away
and shocktroopers for
Close towers

darkvir

Had been off this thread while i marched through this game...

I'm very shocked and disappointed by the 33k sales... I didnt expect a huge number, not not this low... disgusting.

I've played most of the games that sold big numbers for Nov, and honestly, none of those games came close to matching this classy gem.

A sad day indeed...

:(

Baha

El_TigroX said:

Snipers can take those out, especially if you have the GSR 30R. That rifle is god-like.

Baha

Paznos said:
How do you unlock the GSR 30R.? I think I have the 20R atm.

I think I got it for beating chapter 17 with an A-rank or
18-a with an A-rank, all I know is that got it before the final battle

Symytry

darkvir said:
Had been off this thread while i marched through this game...

I'm very shocked and disappointed by the 33k sales... I didnt expect a huge number, not not this low... disgusting.

I've played most of the games that sold big numbers for Nov, and honestly, none of those games came close to matching this classy gem.

A sad day indeed...

:(

It just goes to show you that having an amazing game doesn't mean amazing sales in today's market. VC needed to look exactly like every other Unreal 3 game out there: more big beefy men blowing shit up and fighting in a story that makes absolutely no sense and makes you feel nothing. Perhaps then, it'd sell to Americans.

zoku88 said:
I'm starting to think that my fellow American gamers just don't have taste.

They don't, and never have. This has always been the case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
radiantdreamer said:
I know. I'll buy 2 copies when it gets cheaper though. :[
LCfiner said:
The battles really are addictive. I looove how I can reuse a unit several times in one player phase. On some occasions, it's really fun just to spam the tank on the Imps.
Interest +3

Mutagenic said:

I've found it more engrossing than Fable 2. I haven't played Persona 4 yet. Last Remnant didn't live up to its billing. The DW, Chrono & FF games on DS are classics but rehashes. It's better than Vesperia. What else really merits consideration?

patsu

Darkpen said:

Yap, I think VC is the right choice. Entertainment value is well worth $60 and very replayable. So it's a worthy buy even against other top tier games.

ME has a sequel approved anyway.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Baha said:
Snipers can take those out, especially if you have the GSR 30R. That rifle is god-like.

I reworked my strategy...
brought in a couple more shocktroopers and took that SOB out in a single round!

RpgN

Tailzo said:
I'll never see another game in nthis series, or even another Sega developed console rpg, then? This is the worst thing I've read today :(

Yes, I did my part, I own a copy.

I don't think it's this dramatic. These kind of things always happen, but you also see the developers keep on trying.

I still think there's a chance for a sequel because:

A) They are working on an anime to build the fanbase.
B) The game received a tremendous positive word of mouth
C) Same with the media
D) It did pretty good for a new IP in Japan.

I just hope that EU will make a difference and the game will get legs in the US. We'll get the total shipment numbers on the next report of Sega and we'll see if they're satisfied enough to make a sequel. The development team certainly wants to make a sequel themselves, so that's a good start.

Top Bottom