• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Fyrus said:
Are there any deals on this? $50 or under would do. I seriously want this, demo was awesome.

Please just buy it if you can find it... An extra $10 is worth it for this game... it's incredible.

I just beat it... I'm sad it had to end...
I don't think it could have ended a better way... these characters are so so so great.

panda21

+1 EU sales from me tomorrow :D

from what i've read its quite popular here (on other forums at least, dunno about real people)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
LiveFromKyoto said:
I've found it more engrossing than Fable 2. I haven't played Persona 4 yet. Last Remnant didn't live up to its billing. The DW, Chrono & FF games on DS are classics but rehashes. It's better than Vesperia. What else really merits consideration?
I was thinking Persona 4. Just because you haven't played it doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered. :p I've had fun with Chrono Trigger (port, yes), FFIV, DQIV, Yakuza 2 (?), Disgaea 3, Mother 3, Vesperia etc. I haven't had a chance to try Remnant yet, but when you throw Fallout 3 and Valkyria in there, it's been a damn good year for RPGs. I'm sure you'd agree.

Lain

It is so sad to read this game sold so little in the US.
I hope us europeans did a better job supporting such a great game.
I'd really want more games like this from Sega.

RpgN

Lain said:
It is so sad to read this game sold so little in the US.
I hope us europeans did a better job supporting such a great game.
I'd really want more games like this from Sega.

Yesterday I finally got Shenmue 2 on the xbox (along with ninja gaiden sigma and Final Fantasy IV DS, woho!) and I totally felt the magic in Shenmue 2. Before I didn't really understand what Sega fans meant by that magic, but with Shining Force, PSO, SOAL, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2 and Valkyria Chronicles, I think I'm a huge Sega fan!

Paznos

El_TigroX said:
Please just buy it if you can find it... An extra $10 is worth it for this game... it's incredible.

I just beat it... I'm sad it had to end...
I don't think it could have ended a better way... these characters are so so so great.

QFT, I just beat the game too and I'm sad it's over :( Amazing amazing game.

Brendon

I used some of my Gamestop credit to buy a few copies of this to mail out to old writers and friends (who own PS3s) for Xmas.

Viva la Valkyria!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Anybody wanna give me some hints on chapter 9?

The mission where you're supposed to stop a truck from escaping. You can't use grenades or other explosives, and when I tried shooting (from a very close distant) I barely did any damage at all. And there are a whole bunch of enemies around.

Ploid 3.0

ItsInMyVeins said:

The mission where you're supposed to stop a truck from escaping. You can't use grenades or other explosives, and when I tried shooting (from a very close distant) I barely did any damage at all. And there are a whole bunch of enemies around.

I only had to put two (the spoiler is about two position choices I made, and a strategy I used)
Shock Troopers in the middle and chase it down. They team up and shoot together for more dmg
. For how I damaged the truck
I shot the blue block on the back with the shock troopers. I could have used the tank but the thing was fast and I failed to block it off with the tank.

Shadow780

ItsInMyVeins said:

use Order "Demolition"

djkimothy

ItsInMyVeins said:

Heh, I thought I borked that mission, I wasn't able to block in time with the tank, it turned out to be the right thing to do. Just let it go and have 2 shocktroopers rape the radiator down the middle lane. Can be had in 2-3 turns?

nny

RpgN said:
Yesterday I finally got Shenmue 2 on the xbox (along with ninja gaiden sigma and Final Fantasy IV DS, woho!) and I totally felt the magic in Shenmue 2. Before I didn't really understand what Sega fans meant by that magic, but with Shining Force, PSO, SOAL, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2 and Valkyria Chronicles, I think I'm a huge Sega fan!

Welcome aboard! Not every SEGA game is great, but the ones that are do have something special to them.

itsinmyveins

Heh, regarding chapter 9,
I just changed my weapons to focus on firepower and changed some of my team, and suddenly it was a breeze. I just ran right after it down one lane and managed to take it out pretty quickly. Took me four rounds, but only because I accidentally picked the tank even though I wasn't gonna use it.

I haven't used orders at all yet, though. Gotta start trying them out soon.

Hazaro said:
I know. I'll buy 2 copies when it gets cheaper though. :[

Interest +3

IT WILL BE TOO LATE THEN.

Respect for Hazaro -999

Question:

Are there missables in this game? If I don't do a certain thing in a mission, will I lose the opportunity to obtain a weapon or something?

Commentary:

Man, I got a D rank in Operation Cloudburst! (chapter 4). With only 3 turns remaining too! I'm doing it wrong!!

Dre

radiantdreamer said:
Man, I got a D rank in Operation Cloudburst! (chapter 4). With only 3 turns remaining too! I'm doing it wrong!!
I got the exact same result one week ago on Operation Cloudburst too, high five ! :D

But it's still my GOTY 2008, even though I loved MGS4 and LBP, too bad we will never see a sequel.

itsinmyveins

So what do you guys make of the countries and their inspirational sources in this game? Is the federation America or maybe Great Britain? Is the empire Russia, the Roman empire or Germany? What take do you have on it?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
radiantdreamer said:
Question:

Are there missables in this game? If I don't do a certain thing in a mission, will I lose the opportunity to obtain a weapon or something?

There are special weapons you can only get by killing the named enemy aces. The weapons you get from them have higher attack power but significantly less range than your standard-issue gear.

They're not too useful overall. Some of the later ones have better range, but by then the performance gap in power isn't as large. Besides, a power increase is largely irrelevant considering a single salvo aimed at the enemy's head is almost always a kill even with your bog-standard guns.

Edit: Actually, I just remembered there is one awesome weapon you can only get for killing an ace. Very minor mid-game equipment spoiler here:
The hands-down best flamethrower in the game can only be gotten this way. It has the same range as a normal flamethrower but the highest attack stat of the lot.

ixix said:
There are special weapons you can only get by killing the named enemy aces. The weapons you get from them have higher attack power but significantly less range than your standard-issue gear.

They're not too useful overall. Some of the later ones have better range, but by then the performance gap in power isn't as large. Besides, a power increase is largely irrelevant considering a single salvo aimed at the enemy's head is almost always a kill even with your bog-standard guns.

Edit: Actually, I just remembered there is one awesome weapon you can only get for killing an ace. Very minor mid-game equipment spoiler here:
The hands-down best flamethrower in the game can only be gotten this way. It has the same range as a normal flamethrower but the highest attack stat of the lot.

Well, I generally like to blank-range with my shocktroopers. It's so satisfying, and I get a lot more critical hits that way.

I am interested in the flamethrower though. What chapter is that on, so I can keep an eye out during that time?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
radiantdreamer said:
Well, I generally like to blank-range with my shocktroopers. It's so satisfying, and I get a lot more critical hits that way.

I am interested in the flamethrower though. What chapter is that on, so I can keep an eye out during that time?

As I recall it's from one of the optional missions you get from Ellet. The objective of the mission is to kill all enemies, so you can't miss the ace.

XiaNaphryz said:
So if someone doesn't like a game for one reason or another, they shouldn't return it because other people like it? What?
Did I say he shouldn't return it?

No, I didn't.

Am I stopping him from returning it?

No, I'm not.

Baha

ItsInMyVeins said:
So what do you guys make of the countries and their inspirational sources in this game? Is the federation America or maybe Great Britain? Is the empire Russia, the Roman empire or Germany? What take do you have on it?

Well this is a fantasy re-telling of a world war 2-like event. The imperials = nazis, gallians = dutch (windmills plus names of places seem to be taken from Denmark locales I think). It's definitely set in a fantasy version of Europe (map + 'Europa'). Oh and the darcsens resemble the Jews in their treatment during that era.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ItsInMyVeins said:

The Imperials are a mix of Germanic and Roman influences, the federation is basically the French and the Allies, Gallia is basically a fantasy Holland.

That is my interpretation of how things are, of course the universal conscription and ultra hot silver haired generals are not part of the World War II influence.

jsrv

Beat the game a few days ago, absolutely loved it.

Lot's of plot twists I didn't see coming; last few stages were pretty intense. Also
Holy crap Cordelia looks hot without her crown thing on
:D . Seriously the best SRPG I've played since forever, and will probably be the first game I'd pay DLC for when Sega releases them.

I also read everything in the glossary/weapon list/personal squad information too, really well written stuff, I usually don't bother with that extra reading in any other game. I just wish there were mini campaigns for the non-story squad members too.

Currently halfway through new game +, earlier stages made me realize how ridiculously strong your weapons/armor get.

Pachael

ItsInMyVeins said:

Much like how Sakura Taisen is set in an alternative era in the 1920s where steam machines were plentiful and evil demons and rabbits plotted to take over the world, Valkyria Chronicles is set in an alternative era in the 1940s with a world war with the tiny region getting caught up as part of a far bigger war.

itsinmyveins

Pachael said:
Much like how Sakura Taisen is set in an alternative era in the 1920s where steam machines were plentiful and evil demons and rabbits plotted to take over the world, Valkyria Chronicles is set in an alternative era in the 1940s with a world war with the tiny region getting caught up as part of a far bigger war.

Well, yeah, I get that it's an alternative Europe. I just asked about the inspiration for the different countries and etc in this. You know, the different takes on it.

But what's the deal with always using names and stuff from nordic myths? There's gotta be a ton of other stuff from other places that sounds cool.

RpgN

nny said:
Welcome aboard! Not every SEGA game is great, but the ones that are do have something special to them.

Thank you, I have noticed not all their games being good. That sonic adventure 2 on the gamecube would have been so good if they did something about the horrible camera. There are more examples, but it would have been barren did sega not exist.

I thought its funny how Gallia is supposed to be my country. They did an awesome job to potray our neutrality :D

Ashour

I just got my copy from Amazon yesterday and dare I say it this could be the best SRPG ever made and the best RPG on current generation consoles so far, I’ll make my mind when I finish it.

Ashour said:
I just got my copy from Amazon yesterday and dare I say it this could be the best SRPG ever made and the best RPG on current generation consoles so far, I’ll make my mind when I finish it.

You jump to conclusions too soon, but I do have to agree with you. :)

patsu

Who gets the credit for this game ?

I am solidly impressed and would like to learn more about the brains and hands behind it.

conman

Baha said:
Well this is a fantasy re-telling of a world war 2-like event. The imperials = nazis, gallians = dutch (windmills plus names of places seem to be taken from Denmark locales I think). It's definitely set in a fantasy version of Europe (map + 'Europa'). Oh and the darcsens resemble the Jews in their treatment during that era.
Gallia is a mix of a few different European countries. Holland, yes. But also:
Switzerland (neutrality and universal conscription)
Poland (whose invasion marked the beginning of WWII)
Austria (for its references to the "Lion's Paw," which is a stand-in for Edelweiss--think the Sound of Music--a flower whose scientific name, "Leontopodium," actually means "lion's paw" in Latin).

The empire is a stand-in for both the Germanic and Soviet nations. While the federation is a stand-in for Western Europe.

And since this is a Japanese developed title, it's also likely drawing on the respective political histories of Taiwan and Korea during the 1930s and '40s. In which case, the two competing major powers are Japan and China. It just transposes that history into a pseudo-fantasy setting in Europe, but it's the same basic political situation. It's no coincidence that this story pops up often in JRPG gaming (most recently in FFXII).

patsu

Okay, someone with lovely English should update that Wiki page with some superlatives. ^_^

Valkyria Chronicles is only a bullet point on that page.

About damn time I found a copy in Canada. I went to EB and balked at their $69.99 price tag, and then I found one last copy at Best Buy for $10 less. For a game that doesn't have the English/French cover, I wonder what the wait was for.

Anyways, I won't get to this right away, but I'll be playing it over Christmas.

Erdrick

SabinFigaro said:
About damn time I found a copy in Canada. I went to EB and balked at their $69.99 price tag, and then I found one last copy at Best Buy for $10 less. For a game that doesn't have the English/French cover, I wonder what the wait was for.

Anyways, I won't get to this right away, but I'll be playing it over Christmas.

Odd... I bought mine over a month ago, right upon release from Wal-Mart, and I'm Canadian as well. I know well the wait you speak of as many games have had this happen to them due to the language packaging ordeal. (Silent Hill Origins and No More Heroes come right to mind...)

Wal-Mart had it before EB had it in my area of the frozen woods.

Anyway, I'm on chapter 7 and I keep getting closer and closer to winning each time. The game just is such a complete package, it's stuff like this that really makes me love my PS3. Sega may be gone as I remember them, but they still have some of the old-style they used to in them.

Buy this game without hesitation if you have any remote interest in SRPG's. It's a no brainer and really is one of the best of it's kind, ever.

Top Bottom