• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

eznark

Banned
Gryphter said:
Yeah, lol. the game tells you this during the tutorials

I always miss shit like that in the tutorials!

God damn, that changes that battle totally. I've been going over it all day in my head!

Cigol

I only really deploy Largo for his command point as I've had far too many occasions where I'll deploy with two or more lancers only to find them pretty useless. They can't get into the thick of battle quick enough, and it's rare that you'll need them to start off.

I've also found shocktroopers lose their edge, and fast. I barely cause a dent in the enemy now which with their limited mobility forces them into a pure defensive role. I could be wrong but I'm sure the tutorial said shocktroopers were supposed to be the 'every man' unit, in both attack and defence? That's easily the scout in my experience, with their somewhat overpowering range, accuracy and mobility.

As for snipers, they are useful in the beginning, but I retreat them once I start moving. I also give my engineers the modified weapons that impair enemy units defences (and such) as I find it's a good way of taking advantage of their benefits without having to suffer the side-effects on your main units. You don't ever have to shoot manually either - as they will return fire and shoot on advancing units just like normal scouts.

Cigol said:
I only really deploy Largo for his command point as I've had far too many occasions where I'll deploy with two or more lancers only to find them pretty useless. They can't get into the thick of battle quick enough, and it's rare that you'll need them to start off.

I've also found shocktroopers lose their edge, and fast. I barely cause a dent in the enemy now which with their limited mobility forces them into a pure defensive role. I could be wrong but I'm sure the tutorial said shocktroopers were supposed to be the 'every man' unit, in both attack and defence? That's easily the scout in my experience, with their somewhat overpowering range, accuracy and mobility.

As for snipers, they are useful in the beginning, but I retreat them once I start moving. I also give my engineers the modified weapons that impair enemy units defences (and such) as I find it's a good way of taking advantage of their benefits without having to suffer the side-effects on your main units. You don't ever have to shoot manually either - as they will return fire and shoot on advancing units just like normal scouts.

Shock Troopers are useful because they have a much higher chance of landing critical hits due to the number of shots fired. Headshots are your friend. Sure, their range isn't as great, but they can take bullets way more than scouts, making them perfect for rush in attacks. So far though, I exclusively use Rosie for that because of her potential.

Shocktroopers are excellent at defense. It's always good to have them around to keep the scouts and snipers safe.

Snipers are difficult to use, but generally very useful. They don't have a whole lot of mobility, but with the range they get, they don't really need it.

Lancer's movement range is definitely too small for them to get into battle quick enough. By the time they get there, their usefulness is pretty much null. Might as well have used the extra CP for your other units.

Baha

radiantdreamer said:
:lol Also, when a key character dies, you lose one CP. Same with the enemy too.

Except that you have to touch their body or else the enemy will recover them and bring them back as reinforcements. Lancers will play a bigger role in your strategy as the game progresses.

Baha said:
Except that you have to touch their body or else the enemy will recover them and bring them back as reinforcements. Lancers will play a bigger role in your strategy as the game progresses.

I haven't had a problem with them bringing them back as reinforcements. I usually annihilate everything within the vicinity faster than they can deal with that.

I hope Lancers become more useful. I'm at 3rd level blast suits, and level 6 lancers. So far, I don't notice anything different. I heard that there's a
class change
later on, somewhere around level 11 if I recall? Not sure what that's about...

I've been leveling my classes equally. Should I be? Or does it make sense to leave some of the classes at a lower level and put more emphasis on others?

Baha

radiantdreamer said:
I haven't had a problem with them bringing them back as reinforcements. I usually annihilate everything within the vicinity faster than they can deal with that.

I hope Lancers become more useful. I'm at 3rd level blast suits, and level 6 lancers. So far, I don't notice anything different. I heard that there's a
class change
later on, somewhere around level 11 if I recall? Not sure what that's about...

I've been leveling my classes equally. Should I be? Or does it make sense to leave some of the classes at a lower level and put more emphasis on others?

I'd put emphasis on scouts & shocktroopers for now and then the other classes afterwards.....

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Kotaku put up a review
Valkyria Chronicles Review: World War II Gets a Girlie Makeover

Kotaku.com said:
I'm biased; I love JRPGs, I love SRPGs and I love girlie things like flowers, sparkly particle effects and Valkyries. I also enjoy hour-long battles and overwrought emotional scenes (even if I do cringe at the anti-Semitism analogy). So I highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles to anyone with a PS3. But I admit that for all its beauty, uniqueness and charm, Valkyria is first a foremost a strategy game. If that's not your bag, this won't be the game to convert you. Although you might at least download to the demo to get an idea of what everyone is gushing about.

That's not the whole review... just the end synopsis.

Baha said:
I'd put emphasis on scouts & shocktroopers for now and then the other classes afterwards.....

Will do!

Just pulling this up from an older post, as I was looking for the Aged Gentleman teaching orders:

Die Squirrel Die said:
Getting an engineer to repair a sandbag can be a little finnicky when it comes to positioning. Not advisable under fire.

It's still possible to do. As you're dashing towards a sandbag, rapidly hit the X button. As soon as you're in range, you'll crouch down and repair the sandbag. It's only finicky if you happen to be standing on the sandbag area.

The same can be accomplished with land mines.

Re: Aged Gentleman, I found that he teaches or doesn't teach not by chapter or skirmish, but by file load. I save my game, and talk to him, if he has nothing to offer, I go to title screen and load. Back to cemetery, and he had a new order to teach me.

im having a blast with this game. so far, its the only game that's pulled me away from fallout 3 for an extended period of time. very hard to put it down.

the way the story meshes with the gameplay is dope. i love how everything just naturally flows into the next stage...and the anticipation that comes with it.

great game. esp if you like games like advance wars...

radiantdreamer said:
I hope Lancers become more useful.

i'd like to chime in on the lancer discussion. they are always always useful, especially with an engineer close by. they are better than Edelweiss for fighting tanks in most cases, because of better mobility and sharper aim. a tank shell sometimes does less damage to a lancer than it does to Edelweiss. last but not least, they are expendable so you can go hard. once Edelweiss goes, its a game over. btw, they are weak to small arms fire

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
El_TigroX said:
That would be news to me... don't think I ever ran into an ace in a skirmish.
Maybe they're in Hard skirmishes? I wouldn't be surprised if EX-Hard skirmishes end up with them as well.

patsu

eznark said:
Wait, you can save up CP? As in, if you don;t use them they carry over?

:lol What the hell have you been playing !?

Glute.Belly said:
i'd like to chime in on the lancer discussion. they are always always useful, especially with an engineer close by. they are better than Edelweiss for fighting tanks in most cases, because of better mobility and sharper aim. a tank shell sometimes does less damage to a lancer than it does to Edelweiss. last but not least, they are expendable so you can go hard. once Edelweiss goes, its a game over. btw, they are weak to small arms fire

Depends on whether and how you upgrade Edelweiss.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
patsu said:
Depends on whether and how you upgrade Edelweiss.
I like to use Scouts with Demolition Boost to kill tanks. :D

With some of the upgraded rifles, it just takes 3 shots or so to the engine to kill any tank. Of course, the order eats up 3 CP, but if you have enough carried over it's not that bad.

XiaNaphryz said:
I like to use Scouts with Demolition Boost to kill tanks. :D

With some of the upgraded rifles, it just takes 3 shots or so to the engine to kill any tank. Of course, the order eats up 3 CP, but if you have enough carried over it's not that bad.

That's a neat trick! I gotta try that sometime... once I get that order... But it sound worth it, in my opinion.

Irnbru

Just Finished Cpt.7. That, was the most epic battle I've had in a while.
Down to one man as the huge tank came lumbering down right in front of my, just got my lancer reinforcements in, and just rained down the fire. It came down to my last lancer, with his last round. That, that is indeed what you call epic. Oh and Miss Red eyes is a bitch. A cute one. But a bitch.
I <3 this game.

Paracelsus

Hey guys, to get the "excellence in armament" medal, do I have to kill every single ace? I mean, I noticed some royal weapons coincide with aces' ones so, even if I didn't kill all of them, I only miss 4 of the weapons in this list.

Ch2: Segular the Wall (ZM Kar1)
Ch3: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP1)
Ch5: Lt. Nonnenkof (ZM MP2)
Ch6: Malya the Dust (ZM SG1)
Ch7: Kanazar the Lion (ZM Kar2)
Ch8a: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP3)
Ch8b: Zytreet the Lynx (ZM SG2)
Ch10a: Oswald the Iron (ZM Kar3)
Ch10b: Tavyse the Beast (ZM SG3)
Ch11: Cpt. Nonnenkof (VB FW1)
Ch12: Mash the Hunter (ZM SG4)
Yosnoa the Hound (Enhanced Block Pin)
Ch13: Sima the Younger (ZM Kar4)
Ch14: Sima the Elder (ZM MP4)
Ch15a: Ozwald the Steel (ZM Kar 5)
Matz the Cleaner (Firing Calculator)
Ch16: Shuntr the Mount (ZM SG5)
Ch17: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP5)
War Without Weapons (Rosie's Report): Fujmolt the Edge (VB FW2)
Flower of the Battlefield (Welkin's Report): Toyold the Bull (Firing Calculator)

Baha

Paracelsus said:
Hey guys, to get the "excellence in armament" medal, do I have to kill every single ace? I mean, I noticed some royal weapons coincide with aces' ones so, even if I didn't kill all of them, I only miss 4 of the weapons in this list.

Ch2: Segular the Wall (ZM Kar1)
Ch3: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP1)
Ch5: Lt. Nonnenkof (ZM MP2)
Ch6: Malya the Dust (ZM SG1)
Ch7: Kanazar the Lion (ZM Kar2)
Ch8a: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP3)
Ch8b: Zytreet the Lynx (ZM SG2)
Ch10a: Oswald the Iron (ZM Kar3)
Ch10b: Tavyse the Beast (ZM SG3)
Ch11: Cpt. Nonnenkof (VB FW1)
Ch12: Mash the Hunter (ZM SG4)
Yosnoa the Hound (Enhanced Block Pin)
Ch13: Sima the Younger (ZM Kar4)
Ch14: Sima the Elder (ZM MP4)
Ch15a: Ozwald the Steel (ZM Kar 5)
Matz the Cleaner (Firing Calculator)
Ch16: Shuntr the Mount (ZM SG5)
Ch17: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP5)
War Without Weapons (Rosie's Report): Fujmolt the Edge (VB FW2)
Flower of the Battlefield (Welkin's Report): Toyold the Bull (Firing Calculator)

From the description: Commission all weapon upgrades and collect all enemy ace and royal weapons.

So yeah, get all of those and max out all weapon upgrades including tank upgrades.

I just got the game again (after playing on a debug version) and started from scratch. Now that I know what to do, I've made sure to A level everything until now, but it's gonna get a lot more difficult after the tutorial missions.

Had to replay the first tank level several times, first as I forgot to save before deciding that my favourite characters (Hannes and Marina) weren't in the first lineup and reloaded the game, and then as I tried to do it in the first turn when Welkin shows up. Then I did the next level with Hannes alone in one turn. Awesome guy.

Paracelsus

And so, I am done with this game.

Thanks to anyone who gave me tips and

2h4fcyt.gif

MGS4 has to silently step aside, this is my personal goty 2008.

Paracelsus

maskrider said:
You are far from being done (in terms of turns), but congratulations, anyway.

Which mission do you think should I try to best in terms of turns? There are some like the one with the Marmota that cannot be done in less turns, for example.

gokieks

It's definitely my personal GotY for 2008 as well. And what's the GIF from/of? I assume a commercial in Japan... is she a Sega idol/spokesperson?

Risette

A Good Citizen
So does the install do anything? I installed it anyway but it'd be nice to know if I have to delete it down the line.

Gibbo

Currently on Mission 17. Personal GOTY as well; and is the first RPG/SRPG this year that I'll probably finish-- Blue Dragon/IU/ Tales of Vesperia/ Disgea 3/ Lost Odyssey all lost my interest before the end.

Alicia gets super overpowered after the halfway mark though and was key to helping me get A rankings on the later missions, which became something like (1) Start off with Welkin + Rosie + Largo + Alicia (2) Execute Activate potentials + Caution + Defense Up on Alicia (3) Rush through and Capture all Enemy Camps (4) If need be just call in reinforcements from captured camps.

dezolis

Neo Member
Just finished this game last night. Beautiful, beautiful game with great characters and story. I never thought I'd say this but it's dethroned MGS4 as my GOTY too.

Part of the reason is that it's the first SRPG to really challenge me in a long while. My stat page is full of Cs and Ds (and then I tried a hard skirmish and got my butt handed to me in less than 3 turns). :lol

Baha

Glute.Belly said:
question - im on ch 7. when do i start getting better weapons?

Around chapter 10 and up you start getting access better weapon upgrades in R & D, especially for snipers since there's a branch for accuracy.

Fyrus said:
So does the install do anything? I installed it anyway but it'd be nice to know if I have to delete it down the line.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. Has anyone noticed any decrease in load times?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm already stuck. :lol :(
I'm at the part where you defend the gate and wait for Welkin. I'm able to get Welkin but shortly after the tank and the troops finish off the gate. Any tips?

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:
I would like to know the answer to this as well. Has anyone noticed any decrease in load times?

I don't have any empirical evidence, but it does seem to help. Not that loading Command mode saves still don't take forever.

And for that mission, you don't have to do anything with the Town Militia - just have Alicia move to the northeast to kill the leader, and then save your CP for when Welkin arrives - you can kill the enemy tank on turn 3, as soon as Edelweiss becomes available.

Baha

Fyrus said:
I'm already stuck. :lol :(
I'm at the part where you defend the gate and wait for Welkin. I'm able to get Welkin but shortly after the tank and the troops finish off the gate. Any tips?

Destroy the sandbags near the gate and place 2 of your guys facing them and one guy facing the hill on the right. Just try to kill as many ground troops who rush the gate as possible, ignore the tank. You should be able to win the mission the turn Welkin shows up by destroying the enemy tank radiator.

maskrider

Paracelsus said:
Which mission do you think should I try to best in terms of turns? There are some like the one with the Marmota that cannot be done in less turns, for example.

Quite a few missions can be done in less turns, almost all of the followings are do-able consistently, some with a bit of luck.

e.g.

Wildwood Warfare at Kloden (1)
Battle at Barious Desert (1)
Reunion in the forest (1)
Infiltration of Fouzen (3)
Liberation of Fouzen (1, Alicia for sure)
Battle at Marberry Shore (1, Alicia for sure)
Showdown at Naggiar (2) (2)
Selvaria's Last Stand (1, I use Alicia)
Breaching Jaeger's Blockade (1, Audrey is the key)
Marmota's End (2)
Final Showdown (1)
Vegetable Route Incident (1, Audrey or Elysse)
Hostage Rescue Opeation (1, must deploy Rosie and Largo to get more CP)
An End to Darcen Hunting (3)
Guarding the Refugee Camp (3)

Baha

djkimothy said:
How the hell do you guard the refugee camp in 3 turns?

3 turns? I was under the assumption that you guarded it till every Imperial was dead. Anyways I posted a strategy for this a page or two back, too lazy to look atm.

maskrider

djkimothy said:
How the hell do you guard the refugee camp in 3 turns?

Flamethrowers and lining them up are the key. I deploy all shock troopers, and I know their positions too well (probably have played this particular mission for more than 30 times in all 3 versions).

Risette

A Good Citizen
I know this is a bit OT, but it is a question about the game:
I took my disc out to play some PoP. My copy has a black spot, very small, at the top edge of the disc. Should I be worried about it? It plays fine and I installed it fine too. Doesn't seem to come off though.

Fyrus said:
I know this is a bit OT, but it is a question about the game:
I took my disc out to play some PoP. My copy has a black spot, very small, at the top edge of the disc. Should I be worried about it? It plays fine and I installed it fine too. Doesn't seem to come off though.

If it's at the very edge of the disc, it means that you won't see the ending, as that's the last part of the disc.

Just kidding. It should be fine. Data rarely gets written that far out to the edge of the disc.

djkimothy

maskrider said:
Flamethrowers and lining them up are the key. I deploy all shock troopers, and I know their positions too well (probably have played this particular mission for more than 30 times in all 3 versions).

How do you support Welkin though? There are a lot of tank busting units in that level. I try to go at least 2 shock, largo and engineer.

Also, when you issue an order, does the status effects last until end of game or end of turn?

Paracelsus

maskrider said:

Anyway, I understood, looking at your list, why you managed to get all those first turns. You went straight for the target, me instead took one extra turn in order to buff Alicia (like Marberry) or using Recon (like in the Refugee Camp and Darcsen Hunting). In other ones like Naggiar, I had to waste one turn because I was still in Ace Hunting season, and I didn't realize my prey was too far from Alicia, which was already to the main enemy camp. Had to stand by for another turn then send Ramona to kill him. >.>

On the other hand, I still can't figure out how the hell did you pull the Vegetable mission off in one turn. I know Audrey is a goddamn animal, but considering is absolutely impossible you could manage to reach the top of their base, get to aim to the tanks radiators from above and take them down in one single turn, the only way you could do that is by shooting at them when you exit for a little while on the main road, where you can see the tanks but you are separated from them by a small barricade. Seriously, how did you do that?

maskrider

djkimothy said:
How do you support Welkin though? There are a lot of tank busting units in that level. I try to go at least 2 shock, largo and engineer.

The tanks won't be able to destroy Edelweiss in a single turn, and they will all be destroyed by Largo in the 2nd turn.

djkimothy said:
Also, when you issue an order, does the status effects last until end of game or end of turn?

End of turn.

Paracelsus said:
On the other hand, I still can't figure out how the hell did you pull the Vegetable mission off in one turn. I know Audrey is a goddamn animal, but considering is absolutely impossible you could manage to reach the top of their base, get to aim to the tanks radiators from above and take them down in one single turn, the only way you could do that is by shooting at them when you exit for a little while on the main road, where you can see the tanks but you are separated from them by a small barricade. Seriously, how did you do that?

There is no need to go to the top, with the adequate weapon, Audrey/Elysse can eliminate a tank in one shot, you can shot from the first set of in-destructible barricades, you can't see the tanks and you'll need to find the right spots to shoot, it is not the usual way to play but when you played them for many many times, you have a much higher chance to hit the spot.

For the usual way (i.e. rush to the area above the tanks), it took me 3 turns to complete the mission because Largo can't move very far in a turn.

Top Bottom