• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Somnia

Hcoregamer00 said:
Reading some of the older posts in this thread, it is pretty sad how some people had sanguine expectations on sales and argued to the bitter end. I guess they may have got the point when reality struck and the November NPD sales came out.

Or I guess they don't like to admit that I am right when I said the game would be a sales failure.

I was not a part of those conversations, but it really is too bad about the sales. I mean I knew the sales would be low and 35k is actually higher than I had thought, but the game does seem to have legs at least based off sales at my store. Nothing huge or anything, but we have ran out a couple times and Sega just does not send enough resupply, but that is probably smart on their end to keep shipment low on this title since its sales are so low.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Somnia said:
I was not a part of those conversations, but it really is too bad about the sales. I mean I knew the sales would be low and 35k is actually higher than I had thought, but the game does seem to have legs at least based off sales at my store. Nothing huge or anything, but we have ran out a couple times and Sega just does not send enough resupply, but that is probably smart on their end to keep shipment low on this title since its sales are so low.

No, I just wanted to rub it in the face of the people I argued against. It really is a shame because I wanted the game to sell well.

I am hoping that the game has enough good word of mouth to push it to 100k in the USA. Maybe I am foolish for hoping that the game will sell consistently for the next couple of months, but it pisses me off to no ends when I see some idiot post that the PS3 is lacking one good RPG.

IT IS CALLED VALKYRIA CHRONICLES. If those vapid little peabrains can't accept Valkyria Chronicles as a quality PS3 RPG, then they need to put the pot down and dive into whatever little hole they came from.

djkimothy

They don't even consider it a quality game let alone RPG. Just look at all those top 10 lists in the other threads. :(

I'm afraid this is it in terms of sales.

Hcoregamer00

djkimothy said:
They don't even consider it a quality game let alone RPG. Just look at all those top 10 lists in the other threads. :(

I'm afraid this is it in terms of sales.

What?

Looking at gaming websites Valkyria Chronicles seems to be in most of the top ten lists.

The problem is that critical acclaim never was a proper gauge for sales.

djkimothy

Hcoregamer00 said:
What?

Looking at gaming websites Valkyria Chronicles seems to be in most of the top ten lists.

The problem is that critical acclaim never was a proper gauge for sales.

Talking mostly of people's own personal top 10. It can't compete with the Fallout 3 and GoW 2 juggernauts. Though I'm glad to know a few people that really like the game's direction even though they don't own any consoles.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
Reading some of the older posts in this thread, it is pretty sad how some people had sanguine expectations on sales and argued to the bitter end. I guess they may have got the point when reality struck and the November NPD sales came out.

Or I guess they don't like to admit that I am right when I said the game would be a sales failure.
I'm not sure you're talking about me here, but I argued against your excessive doom and gloom mostly on the basis of the game not having to sell all that great because of its limited budget. Now 300k-350k worldwide (which is what it looks like right now) might indeed not be enough to break even, but it's also not disastrous.

MoxManiac

Well i asked for this for christmas so there might be +1 sale right there!

EDIT: and hcoregamer is getting pretty scary. calm down man!

So like I said I would, I bought the game about a week ago.

Just beat it. :D

Without doubt one of my favorite games of this generation. I loved everything about it. The gameplay was fun, the characters were likable, the music was memorable, and the story rocked. Oh, and did I mention it was beautiful? Loved the art style.

Going to go edit my list in the GOTY thread now. :lol

reddmyst

VC is an awesome game, I've got 2 chapters to go then i finally get to finish it (since i got it at launch)....too many games to play, i'm going WAGH!

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
i think im up to chapter 10 or 11 and the acting is what is stopping this game from being great for me.

for instance, one of the characters (just like the rest of them) have been responsible for many enemy deaths, then all of a sudden they run into an enemy soldier that has not yet been killed properly and he is crying for mummy so our hero(ine) does a 180 and is all "its ok, ill be your mummy" *sob*sob*. oh chapter is over. lets go back to killing these motherfuckers!

i do enjoy anime stories and i do appreciate the beauty of this game, but the acting is poor... maybe ill change my mind once i finish the game, if i can be bothered to get there.

Baha

navii said:
i think im up to chapter 10 or 11 and the acting is what is stopping this game from being great for me.

for instance, one of the characters (just like the rest of them) have been responsible for many enemy deaths, then all of a sudden they run into an enemy soldier that has not yet been killed properly and he is crying for mummy so our hero(ine) does a 180 and is all "its ok, ill be your mummy" *sob*sob*. oh chapter is over. lets go back to killing these motherfuckers!

i do enjoy anime stories and i do appreciate the beauty of this game, but the acting is poor... maybe ill change my mind once i finish the game, if i can be bothered to get there.

Hmm, I'd say that scene served only to show that the imperials aren't faceless evil doers and that war claims a lot of lives on both sides. Up till then you could argue that the imperials were portrayed as ruthless killers, invading Gallia and killing civilians as well as enslaving Darcsens. At the very least we're shown that the enemy isn't as two-dimensional as they tend to be in a lot of rpgs. Also, if you're playing with the english dub, try the japanese dub on that scene and see which one does a better job.

Hcoregamer00

MoxManiac said:
Well i asked for this for christmas so there might be +1 sale right there!

EDIT: and hcoregamer is getting pretty scary. calm down man!

If you thought I was scary, read a couple of pages earlier when we found out about the USA sales, I had what was essentially a mini meltdown.

mAcOdIn

navii said:

Shit, remember the story about the British and German soldiers who spent Christmas together in WW1 in the middle of a war? Damn WW1 anime. :)

Lilsnubby

I would describe the US voice-over as very solid if not excellent for a US localized version. You can't really fault the "acting" for the tone or story content. I've played with both the Japanese and Us voices and the US voice holds up very well. This isn't Gears of War, there are flying pigs ffs.

I got this on day one but had to set aside ude to my courseload, now that I'm on my winter break I've been binging on quite a few games and have finally come back to Valkyria Chronicles and I'm stuck on the Kloden Wildwood chapter. Yeah the fifth chapter.

I've watched an A Rank run on youtube where the player beat the level with just two scouts but I can't seem to replicate that feat. I can get two to three scouts there but they get chewed up by a shocktrooper. It did teach me a new route though the middle of the map (I always attempted from the north gate) and that it's not a set number of turns that causes the tank to appear but rather just how close your units are to the main base. Fat lot of good it's doing me at the moment.

If only shocktroops could run farther and for longer, that would solve all of my problems. Or cause more.

batbeg

Seriously, the fight in Chapter 6 or 7
in the desert against Maximillan and Selvaria
is the very definition of not fun. It's cheap and shitty and moreso than that frustrating. It probably wouldn't piss me off so much if it weren't for the fact I keep forgetting you can save mid-battle until it's too late, and that it's so long and I have to keep replaying it :mad:

Mid-battle saves are awesome. They eliminate the tedium of repeating the same initial steps ad nauseum...if you remember to do it. Took a couple of retries to get me to start using the feature.

neight

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

What I argued against is all the doom and gloom talk instead of game talk. You could've waited until the actual sales came out before talking about it. Don't feel so special about your prediction I don't think anyone seriously thought this game was going to sell well. You just had some weird fetish with doom and glooming and wouldn't shut up(and still won't). And why giving up so early wasn't it you that was arguing for long term 'sales trend'?

But whatever now I'm reminded of why I stopped coming into this thread. You should really consider giving this thread a rest I'd imagine your posts make up the bulk of this thread.

mizuk_i

patsu said:
I finished the game 2-3 nights ago. I am happy.

... but where is the bikini cutscene >8^/

It's one of the reports you can buy from Irene Ellet. Then go to chapter select and it's listed under reports. Buying the other reports can unlock the main characters potentials when you finish the report.

It took a couple of retries with my mid-battle save but I ended up capturing that base with just three scouts in 4 turns netting me an A! I think it's my first A actually. From here on out I'm definently going to start using rolling mid-battle saves. I must've retried that mission seven or eight times but because of my saves it was literally always from the point in the base camp just by their flag.

RpgN

neight said:
What I argued against is all the doom and gloom talk instead of game talk. You could've waited until the actual sales came out before talking about it. Don't feel so special about your prediction I don't think anyone seriously thought this game was going to sell well. You just had some weird fetish with doom and glooming and wouldn't shut up(and still won't). And why giving up so early wasn't it you that was arguing for long term 'sales trend'?

But whatever now I'm reminded of why I stopped coming into this thread. You should really consider giving this thread a rest I'd imagine your posts make up the bulk of .

That's harsh, man. Take it easy. Why yes, I do agree to some of your points.

I would also like to point out that VC is performing like many RPGs released on the ps2 that aren't FF, KH or SO3. It's selling just as expected along the lines.

Of course for a game this revolutionary it deserves much more. With Sega undershipping and word of mouth, it has the chance to sell more.

masterkajo

I finally started the game yesterday after learning two weeks for a big big exam... (which I passed - yeah!)

I just finished chapter 6 (quite a challange in comparrison to the 5 before) and I am so so sooooo glad I bought this game. It is THE best strategy game I have ever played - and I do play Fire Emblem and the likes...

I especially liked chapter 5 so far
because at first I couldn't capture the southern base because of the big tank and the lancers at the entrance. But then I figured out to use an engineer to attack from the rear with a defense boost order and he was able to catpure the base with two CPs. Then I called for lancer reinforcements in the captured base and next phase the tank was history. I still got a D rank after compliting the mission because it then took me so long to capture the base camp <-- stupid Lupus tank showing up totally unexpected...

So to wrap it up! Totally awesome game so far!!!!!!!!

I do have some questions about orders though: Spoiler tag just in case
1. Is there a pattern to when the old man in the cementary learns you new orders?
2. How long do these orders last? Like when I use Defense Boost or Evasion Boost; does it last until end of my phase or until end of my opponent's phase.

joelseph

either someone gets this for me for christmas or I pick it up on my own, but it will be mine.

to get good ranks do you always have to "rush" with a few of your units? I have played the demo a few times and it seems I get a worse rank if I take my time and move all my units instead of just a few.

Erdrick

I think I will go buy this for my little brother today. I'm pretty sure he can be dragged away from Oblivion on his PS3 to play this fine game. Besides, I like supporting good games, so I guess Sega can add another sale from me.

(I bought the game when it first came out and am enjoying it immensely. I want to spread the goodness that is VC.)

joelseph

Erdrick said:
I think I will go buy this for my little brother today. I'm pretty sure he can be dragged away from Oblivion on his PS3 to play this fine game. Besides, I like supporting good games, so I guess Sega can add another sale from me.

(I bought the game when it first came out and am enjoying it immensely. I want to spread the goodness that is VC.)

You could save 60 bucks and loan him the game when you are finished with it.

Erdrick

joelseph said:
You could save 60 bucks and loan him the game when you are finished with it.

True, but then I'd have to think of something else he wants for Xmas. I also would like to support VC with another sale. Also, I'm horrendously slow with most games these days, so by the time I get around to finishing it, it could be summer.

(I'm just sick of everytime I go to visit him at his place, all he ever has on the PS3 is Oblivion. :lol Needs a new game for his PS3.)

RpgN

patsu said:
I didn't play any side quests, and it took me 35 hours or so (according to the game).

Yeah, that summer chapter is on one of the reports you need to buy from Ellen. I think it was expensive too, like 50k to pay. You are missing out by not playing these side missions. They add more personality to some recruits, the best potentials and some handy weapons (special flamethrower for shocktroopers comes to mind).

comedian

No need for spoiler masterkajo:

Orders are given randomly(thougth obviously you have to reach a certain point in the story to be eligible to get some) so go after finishing every skirmish/sorty battle before using all your exp on leveling your classes.

Orders end at the end of your turn.

Baha

I've been told there's an extra sidequest/report you can unlock during a 2nd playthrough. I need to find time to complete my 2nd playthrough before new years.

batbeg said:
Seriously, the fight in Chapter 6 or 7
in the desert against Maximillan and Selvaria
is the very definition of not fun. It's cheap and shitty and moreso than that frustrating. It probably wouldn't piss me off so much if it weren't for the fact I keep forgetting you can save mid-battle until it's too late, and that it's so long and I have to keep replaying it :mad:

I found that battle to be most fun. If I didn't screw up near the beginning, I would have gotten an A rank.

Here's what you do:
Have at least one engineer with Welkin, and a sniper. The rest can be whatever I chose a lancer. The first part will mostly be Welkin doing the work.
On the South team, have Alicia, Rosie, Largo, another shock trooper or two, and another Lancer. make sure you have at least two lancers in total.

Turn One:
Move Welkin to intercept the tank. Take out the front turret, and the east turret (if possible). Go back into original position
Take Alicia, and grenade the wall just north of the second base. Alternatively, use a shocktrooper to do that as he's moving in to defend the second base.

Turn Two:
The tank should start moving, and should end up directly in front of Welkin. Take out the two north facing cannons. Use your sniper to take out the Lancer up on the cliff edge if he's already targeted Welkin. Use your engineer to heal up Welkin.
Move your scout and shock trooper into the second base.
If you can spare it, use your lancers to take out the south turret (the one in the front, if Welkin hasn't already done so).

Turn 3:
The tank will take out the first base at this point. Have Welkin take out the rear turret, and the last south facing turret (rear side). Start moving your Lancer southward.
Your scout and shocktrooper should be taking care of the on rushing troops without you needing to interfere.

Turn 4:
The tank will use his energy cannon to take out the first wall. Move your Engineer to left ladder on the tank and drop a grenade in. At this point, most of the enemy troops will have all been defeated too. Move Alicia to grenade the wall east of the 2nd base. Move your shocktrooper back to the trenches.

Turn 5:
Bombing the second radiator should be the last thing you do in this turn.
Move EVERYBODY except the sniper and your north lancer to the north side of the wall so that the hill and trenches are clear. Move Welkin to the small wall on the east and have him back up to it so the radiator is completely shielded by the standing wall.
Use a high movement character (I chose Engineer) to bomb the rear or right side radiator. After cutscene, move your engineer back into safety and huddle with the rest. make sure Alicia has enough room to move out.

Turn 6:
Brace yourself, here come the troops! By this time, Selveria should be hovering around on the south side of the wall, and a lancer should have revealed himself. Your north Lancer may have taken some decoy damage from Selveria too.

Snipe off the lancer if possible. If not, that's okay. Move Welkin to the west side of the wall everyone is cowering behind. Have him face south. He'll be blocking Selveria's progress this way, and will be your turret for the gambit. Hold position. You can use Rosie to peek outside the wall to take out oncoming troops, or use Welkin's Mortar to kill anything oncoming. It should be safe at this point to move your sniper to the remains of the 1st base, and snipe out any troops that have passed Welkin.

Turn 7:
The tank cannon should have fired at this time. Clear out any remaining troops, and then send in Alicia to board the tank and take out the last radiator.
At this point, focus your two lancers and Welkin to take that sucker out! When you run out of ammo, use your engineer to restock them up. You should be able to finish it off in this turn.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
If it hasn't been said yet, Valkyria Chronicles is up for multiple awards on 1up.com (make sure to check all 3 pages)... go vote!

Baha

El_TigroX said:
If it hasn't been said yet, Valkyria Chronicles is up for multiple awards on 1up.com (make sure to check all 3 pages)... go vote!
Ok I voted, I didn't agree with some of the choices and omissions in some of the categories but whatever, I did my part.

Top Bottom