• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

NameIess

I tried the demo and thought it was just ok and played a bit slow...
Based on the comments here perhaps I made the wrong assessment.

Anyone have any thoughts on the demo compared to the full release?

Strategy Goty
PS3 Goty
Overall GotY
Best New IP
Best Novel Art Style

I think those are all of the categories Valkyria Chronicles is nominated for, the categories close off once you've voted.

OK, this game finally sunk its teeth into me last night. Got past the tank mission which opened up some more tabs.

Selecting you squad members is far more than it seems at first. I didn't expect their merits and flaws to end up affecting how I would play out a battle. Like Fire Emblem, you get to know each character in your squad, and feel some pangs of regret if you make a bad decision and walk them right into a meatgrinder. Well done.

Skirmishes are also a very nice inclusion, as it wasn't until I got to play through the first skirmish on easy a couple of times that I really got a handle on the game mechanics.

I'm currently assaulting a bridge - just completed a mission where I had to split my squad into two teams. If I had it to do over again I would've changed the composition of my squads quite a bit but I still managed to pull out a nice victory with some smart tactics. It may be a love/hate kind of thing but I also appreciate the subtle (and sometimes major) differences between the strategic map and the 3D perspective. In the strategic map you might see an alleyway you could move some shock troopers into to flank the enemy only to find out in 3D that the alleyway is blocked with debris. Its a nice touch that forces you to adapt to the "reality on the ground".

So far, this game is a perfect blend of Fire Emblem, X-Com, and Fallout's VAT system. Not sure about the VAT system as I haven't played Fallout - but from videos and the like it looks similar.

This game needs to be put on PSN as a full digital download. It could also use an Xbox 360 version if that's what it takes for SEGA to make some profit on this title.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jaundicejuice said:
Strategy Goty
PS3 Goty
Overall GotY
Best New IP
Best Novel Art Style

I think those are all of the categories Valkyria Chronicles is nominated for, the categories close off once you've voted.

Too bad it got no nomination for best music, because that was a category Valkyria shined in.

comedian

Takes: 30-40 hour to complete Story(many MANY more if you want to A rank everything)

Comparable: Nullpointer says :
So far, this game is a perfect blend of Fire Emblem, X-Com, and Fallout's VAT system. Not sure about the VAT system as I haven't played Fallout - but from videos and the like it looks similar.

It kind of reminds me FF Tacticts but there are so many differences(nothing is really like it :> )

Though I really doubt Valkyria Chronicles will win ANY of those awards, I've voted for it nonetheless.

Strategies for getting A ranks in skirmishes on normal difficulty

Skirmish1 Done in One Turn using Alicia

Doesn't matter who you have, as long as you have a scout on the far west side position.

Start by sending a shock trooper down to kill the scout on the south side to claim a leader kill bonus.

Next move your scout along the outskirts of the map, behind the fences westward to avoid fire from the shock trooper. By the time you run out of movement you should be very close to the bridge. End your turn by killing the scout situated by the bridge using a grenade for another leader kill bonus.

Activate the scout again, and make the remaining distance to the flag. Get close enough to headshot the scout guarding it, and occupy.

Skirmish2 Done in One Turn using Rosie

Doesn't matter who you have, as long as you've got Rosie situated at the north end of the camp team.

Advance Rosie on the left side through the alley, and take out the shocktrooper near the end of it. Run as far as you can and end your turn.

Start Rosie again, and she may get her Strong-Willed potential activated. Cut across the street going North East, targeting the scout at the sandbag, next to the tank. Headshot him. Hop over the sandbag, and move until you run out. End the turn.

At this point, you can choose to kill more leaders, by sending a shocktrooper or scout to the right of the base. Kill the scout there, and then the shock trooper at the end, who should now have put his attention on rosie, and is backfacing.

You can also take out the ace in the grass with the assault team. Whatever you do, make sure you have two CP remaining.

Go back to Rosie, and blank range headshot the shocktrooper by the flag for another leader bonus. Hop over the sandbag, get close to the flag, and end your turn. Select Rosie again and immediately toss a grenade at the remaining shocktrooper. He doesn't have to die. He just has to be knocked further away from the base. Occupy.

Skirmish3 Done in two turns with Alicia and an engineer (Darcy, the one who loves Alicia)

Doesn't matter who you have, as long as Largo and Rosie are in there somewhere.
Set Alicia and Darcy on the tank team.

Run Alicia through and grenade the tree trunk. Her AP should run out just near the tank mines. Have Darcy tag behind. Have Alicia travel further east, along the southern edge taking basically the south fork away from the lancers and tank. Again, have Darcy follow as close as she can. Once more with Alicia, you should get to the fork with the remaining AP. Darcy should be close to running out of breath, but keep her moving so she remains out of range of the tank's mortar. Keep as much CP to carry over as you can.

End your turn.

Next turn, Run Alicia all the way to the next tree trunk, and grenade it. Start working your way up the hill. Darcy should continue to follow. Again with Alicia, kill the turret at the top of the hill, and start making your way down the other side of the hill. Remain on the south side close to the top though. Don't go too far, Darcy needs to catch up. Darcy should be just starting her climb up the hill.
Have Alicia kill the scout on the south side of the camp while she waits for Darcy. Once Darcy reaches the top of the hill, Alicia should be targeting the other troopers. She should be moving down the hill slowly while Darcy tries to catch up.

You should be damn near running out of CP, and AP. But don't worry. You CAN reach the base. Have Alicia toss a grenade into the fray to force the troopers to stand. This will make killing them easier. As Darcy is moving closer to Alicia, she should start tossing grenades as well, target each of the troops individually. One grenade should kill each one. Alternate between Alicia and Darcy. Refill Alicia's grenades each turn, as Darcy will run out after 3 grenades. Once Darcy is out of grenades she's strictly resupply and healing. By this time, you should have advanced down to the bottom of the hill, with maybe at most, one trooper remaining. Alicia should have enough AP, health, and a grenade to finish the job, and occupy the base. You don't have to be right beside the flag to occupy. Just inside the sandbag area seems to be enough.

It's tough to do that in 2 turns!

edit: Darcy? I meant DALLAS.

Issun23

Finally completed chapter 7!

That tank battle was awesome. I thought it'd finish when I blow up all radiators, but no! I had to destroy the tank as well. And because I miscalculated I was on my last turn when I had to blow it up. Used all CP but made it. :D

Now on chapter 8 I'm at this ambush battle thing and I'm being overwhelmed again. =/

Baha

radiantdreamer said:
FUCK YOU, TY THE IMMORTAL!!!! FUCK YOOUUUUUUU!!!!

sdklfjklsdfjsadjfjdsafkljiahrhadslkvhcvjn!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

Here's a tip for that level if you haven't figured it out yet:
Use the blue flowers you find on Alicia so she can recover more health and move farther. Without them, taking on Ty and his allies is harder. Also if you can get your scouts to level 11, that mission is a breeze.

Baha said:
:lol :lol :lol

Here's a tip for that level if you haven't figured it out yet:
Use the blue flowers you find on Alicia so she can recover more health and move farther. Without them, taking on Ty and his allies is harder. Also if you can get your scouts to level 11, that mission is a breeze.

I didn't know about the blue things.

No worries. I finally took him out. I got into a position where I just basically had to try and try and try to get the 5 critical shots in to kill him. Twice he dodged, about 6 or 8 times, I was 1 shot short.

NameIess

I'm going to pick this up over the weekend...
I still need to play Fallout too so I should be very busy until Killzone 2 is released.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
A mission where you play as Selveria and the empire is the main draw of the DLC.

Baha

ezekial45 said:
Whats included in the DLC?

There's 3 DLC, the 2 that are confirmed for US release are Hard EX mode that adds a harder difficulty and rearranges maps, and the Edy dlc which is a mission with Edy and her squad. The 3rd dlc which everyone is looking forward to is the Selvera mission pack which we'll hopefully get if the previous two sell well.

vpance

Glad I picked this up, it's a good game. I'm up to Ch 8 now. Had to save+reload quite alot in the Ch 7 battle. I like the unexpected events in the battles. I'm finding that Shocktroopers have such short range though. Never really sure if they're as efficient as using more scouts.

Is it better to play the skirmishes or wait til I complete the story first?

gokieks

Baha said:
There's 3 DLC, the 2 that are confirmed for US release are Hard EX mode that adds a harder difficulty and rearranges maps, and the Edy dlc which is a mission with Edy and her squad. The 3rd dlc which everyone is looking forward to is the Selvera mission pack which we'll hopefully get if the previous two sell well.

IIRC, actually it's the Selvaria DLC that's been confirmed for US in addition to Hard EX skirmishes, not Edy. But yeah, hopefully all 3 make it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It is funny, I just found out the voice of Isara Guther is Laura Bailey.

She does the voice of Rise in Persona 4 and Chun-li in the upcoming Street Fighter IV.

What makes it funny is that I met her face to face in Anime Expo 2006 and have a couple of pictures with her. She is an amazing voice actress and a really nice person, very down to Earth.

I just finished Chapter 8. Wow, they really put the odds against you in the beginning! As usual, D rank. Alicia died in the first turn, and I spent the next few turns trying to get the Mortar with grenades (lvl11 scouts already, so it was good range over the fence). I lost SO many troops that fight... I beat it on turn 11!! :(((

gokieks said:
IIRC, actually it's the Selvaria DLC that's been confirmed for US in addition to Hard EX skirmishes, not Edy. But yeah, hopefully all 3 make it.

Whaaat noooo! I want my Edy!

She gets her own DLC pack? Rad! But she's not a main character...

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
vpance said:
Is it better to play the skirmishes or wait til I complete the story first?

I think one of the main reasons they put skirmishes in is so if u get stuck on a chapter you can grind a little (or a lot) till you're powerful enough to get past it.

Haunted

Holy shit just played the demo and it totally convinced me to get the game.

comedian said:
Takes: 30-40 hour to complete Story(many MANY more if you want to A rank everything)
Good enough for me!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bought the game today. 45 mins in (start chapter 2), digging it alot so far. But one thing is pretty weird. That you have to select cutscenes to view them, they should have made them start automatically. Small nitpick...

Baha

Dreams-Visions said:
guys: help me make a decision. out of these 3:

-Valkyria Chronicles

-Persona 4

which 2 should I pick up and why?

Get both but if you have to pick, I'd pick Valkyria now and Persona 4 later.

patsu

radiantdreamer said:
I did that too the first time. But Alicia never makes it. Besides, the gun he drops is pretty freaking powerful!

Cool ! I'll look out for him on the second playthru.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
chapter 14, now this game is getting awesome!

comedian

It feels me with hapiness when i hear that more people are buying the game, i only wish it was more widly advertised, as it would certainly increase the sales(i havent seen anything in europe for this, when i asked to buy it , the store clerk was surprised to hear that it had been out since Halloween and they had none in stock , had to go to GAME where it sat in #17 place in the chart, so lonely).

Hobbun

This is a great game, I wish it would have sold more. I am still hoping for a sequel. It would be a shame if we didn't see it.

Right now I am stuck on Chapter 17. I am trying to take the camp on the south side of the main road with the Shamrock and it keeps getting blown up on the enemies phase. I am using the Edelweiss to work on the camp on the north side of the road. Maybe I just need to rearrange the Shamrock's upgrades and put more HP into it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hello
Im thinking on getting Valkyria Chronicles, since PS3 games cost 80 bucks here i would like to know :
Is a long game?
How is the re playability value?
Thanks

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's about 25-30 hours your first time through, but that's not counting how many hours lost from failing/retrying missions. If you do skirmishes or grind at all, that number can easily go up. Near the end a battle usually takes up to an hour.

There's great replayability because you can clear the game again to get new medals, weapons, and a few extra goodies. Also you can skip all the cutscenes and retry battles in your new game+ file.

Hobbun

Fersis said:
Hello
Im thinking on getting Valkyria Chronicles, since PS3 games cost 80 bucks here i would like to know :
Is a long game?
How is the re playability value?
Thanks

Yes, it is pretty long. I have heard people beating it in 25 hours, but most estimates are between 30-40.

Myself, I am a little over 40 hours now and towards the end of the game. But then I have always been slow in playing games.

As for re-playability, it does have a New Game+ feature. I believe you can replay missions (the story ones, skirmishes you can always replay) and
unlock a new character
. There are some other things as well, I believe, but I can't say for sure as I haven't defeated the game, yet myself.

But I highly recommend playing the game. It is definitely worth it even if you only did a one time playthrough. Excellent game.

Baha

Wollan said:
Any progression on potential Trophy patch?

I doubt there'll be one and quite frankly the game's replayable enough as it is without one. Play this game for fun like you did before the achievement/trophy nonsense started affecting which games you bought or not.

I'm an expert

Psychotext said:
One thing I couldn't work out from the demo... can you use action points to reload?

Nada. It takes 1 turn to reload a weapon/grenade. Machine guns/ragnaids are infinite though. Also engineers reload anyone or tank they touch to full. Usually I move my engineer last and reload anyone who needs it.

Baha

Psychotext said:
One thing I couldn't work out from the demo... can you use action points to reload?

Your troops don't have a reload ability with the exception of Potentials like 'extra shot' that some get which gives them extra ammo. You'll generally be using an Engineer for refilling your troops ammo which they do simply by running near them (you'll see an ammo icon when they do this). Since Engineers can repair tanks, removes mines & repair structures, you'll have to deploy them strategically so that they not only refill ammo for their comrades but repair a tank or remove mines on the same turn. There are a few weapons that don't require ammo (rifles, submachine guns, flamethrowers) and others that do (sniper rifles, rocket launchers).

comedian

your characters reload at the end of their turn , so you could use 1 guy 5 times in 1 turn(thougth you would use 5 action points).

Hobbun personally i only used the shamrock to make sur the enemy didnt send a scout to steal my main base (hapnned twice xD)

Baha

comedian said:
your characters reload at the end of their turn , so you could use 1 guy 5 times in 1 turn(thougth you would use 5 action points).

Hobbun personally i only used the shamrock to make sur the enemy didnt send a scout to steal my main base (hapnned twice xD)

Snipers and Lancers don't reload their ammo at the end of their turns unless they used a potential.

Top Bottom